The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

That was exactly my take, AWACS. IT appeared that Forsland even attempts to throw him a lifeline for rescue, and PK blithely ignores him in condescending fashion. Surely despite Lake's suggestion that we with hold our judgement until we see if he opens up the bank account must also take into account the "beacon" of this franchise's indifference towards his fans

And Lake, I do agree with your 2nd thought.

KJUN- I wasn't suggesting how anyone else should feel about the interview, just expressing my perspective on the big scheme of things.  There's a lot of justified frustration and associated anger stemming from this season and I expect that to be vented in these forums. :)

Edited by LakeLivin

That PK interview was a PR nightmare. I also agree that really only actions will matter. PK fuddles through and embarrassing annoying interview, but gets a good GM who makes some key moves and brings in even one really good UFA, and we have a nice draft, and we find out Eric was playing injured (speculation, but part of why injuries are not disclosed during the season is so players don't get targeted, plus then you get into the "why are you playing then..."). Anyways, all of that happens and the PK interview fades into history. 

I really don't see the Staals getting moved. To me the questions are:

Who is the new GM and how much is he free from President Rutherford and PK?

Does Muller survive to try one more time?

Can Ward be moved for an acceptable return?

Can we get a key FA or two?

So Semin (getting surgery) and possibly E. playing hurt most of or all year? Kind of hurt values on the Island.

I saw what I thought was honest frustration on Eric's face in the last couple of interviews. I read that as "if you only knew". 

Huge speculation on my part, but something was major off w/ Eric this year. But as I pointed out in a recent post, Eric is just off a year where he was on a 90 point pace. Last year. To trade him now, just off his worst year, within the confines of his response w/ his NTC would likely lead to a huge value loss. And just one year ago he was having a good year in terms of production, on a fairly bad team.

Skinner played much better down the stretch and Semin was playing on a bum wrist. So don't see any interest in trading either of them. These two, when on and healthy are worth the price of admission by themselves.

Taking all of that into account:  Just don't see any major player trades outside of Ward. 

Muller? Coin flip.

Edited by remkin

You can only trade EStaal for another underachieving overpaid player.  You aren't going to get the guy who is under contract for 3M playing like he is worth 6M.  You are going to get the guy making 9M playing like he is worth 5M or else it's a dumb trade for the other guy.  Basically a change of scenery for 2 guys doing crappy.

Conclusion:  EStaal goes nowhere.

You could buy out EStaal.  But you are buying out your 2nd all time franchise leader in scoring, for 6M savings over the next 2 years.  No replacement.  So you can buy a 3M player for 2 years with your savings.  He would have to be one big locker room problem to justify that.

Conclusion:  EStaal goes nowhere.

Maybe one big move said PK.  We like our team.

Conclusion:  No big moves unless some other GM loses their mind.

We like our coaching staff said PK.

Conclusion:  We keep our coaching staff

We like our core young players said PK:

Conclusion: I think this means Skinner and Lindholm are safe, maybe Murphy.  All of the rest had better duck and cover.

According to above analysis, not much will change in the high end, except the GM.

The fan base is more restless than I have ever seen them.

Conclusion:  It is going to be one long, bitter, offseason on the forums.

Here's to hoping that there are brighter minds at the helm than we are.

If 4 players would have had average years we would be in the playoffs. 

If Eric scored 35 goals (off by 14)

If Semin scored 30goals(off by 8)

If Jordan scored 23 goals(off by 8)

If Tlusty scored 23goals  (off by 7)

Thats 37 more goals we would have had this year, surely that would have lead to 5 or 6 more wins and we are in the playoffs.  

To me, the solution to this is getting a new coach.   I'd like to think it wasn't just coincidence that they all had horrible below average years.  So is there really a need to change a ton this off season?  I'd vote for new Coach, a few small to medium sized moves and we could possibly be fine next year. Unless of course Eric, Jordan, Semin, and Jiri have all just lost there talent and are done.  I doubt it.

And for all the Eric Staal trade talk, I personally think its silly. He's not going anywhere, we didn't bring Jordan here to get rid of Eric a year later.

No other Hurricane has ever scored 70plus points for 9 straight seasons. He had a below average one, its not time to trade him. He deserves another year. 61points is not that horrible either, yes we expect more but its not like he only got 30 or 40 or something.

My hunch is that nearly everything and everyone is still on the table. But only in the sense we are willing to listen to any offer for consideration. Most offers won't make sense but I think if one comes along that does and it means giving up one of our big names we will make a deal. But ONLY if the return is a deal we can't turn down.

Injuries may have played a big part in our disappointing play this season but can't explain everything.

For those of you who want to play The Stanley Cup Playoff Contest you can find it here

You can enter by sending your picks in a PM to coastal_caniac

Goalies:

Khudobin has made it clear he is the best goalie on the roster. He will be our #1 heading into next season and there's no reason not to be excited about that. With that said, it leaves Cam Ward in a tough spot. As much as I appreciate what he's done for this franchise we simply cannot pay him over 6 mil to be a back up. It's time we move on and get what we can for him. 

Justin Peters is an obvious option for the #2 spot but there is another guy by the name of Chad Johnson out there I think we should pursue heavily. Just like Khudobin before we signed him, he is the backup for Boston. He finished the regular season 17-4-3 with a .925 SV% and 2.10 GAA. I'd imagine that Boston would like to keep him but people said the same thing about Anton. If we can snag him we'd have 2 very solid/consistent goaltenders.

Forwards:

As I've stated several times, I'm not in the trade everyone crowd. Eric, Jordan, Skinner, Semin, Lindholm are the core and their a damn good core to build around. A big reason for our struggles is the inability to draft consistently well and find the right depth pieces. Our free agents include Bowman, Gerbe, Loktionov, Tlusty as RFAs and Malhotra, Dvorak, Brett Sutter, and Terry as UFAs. There are rumors that Loktionov will try return to Russia but I'd love to have him back. He's been a consistent contributor since we acquired him. However, the problem with Lok, as well as with Gerbe, is size. If we bring back both guys we continue to be a somewhat small team. I'm a little hesitant to sign both but I'm not sure if there are any better options out there. 

This year's free agent class is top heavy and it'll be tough to bring in those top guys. However, there are 2 RFAs that I would really like to sign and neither would cost us a high draft pick. Remember, we have an extra 4th from the Dalpe trade. The 2 players I'm referring to are Jamie McGinn and Brandon Sutter. With McGinn, I think we'd have to put in a qualifying offer and hope Colorado doesn't match. With Sutter, I think we could get him back in a draft day trade.

We also have some prospects who could potentially make their debuts. Brock McGinn and Sergey Tolchinsky had amazing seasons in the OHL. McGinn finished with 43 goals, 42 assists, +46 and brings a physical aspect we have been lacking. Tolchinsky finished with 31 goals, and 60 assists but is another midget which could be a problem if we resign Gerbe. Realistically, I think he needs a season in Charlotte before moving up to the Canes. Victor Rask had a decent season with the Checkers and could potentially be on the roster as an extra forward. 

J McGinn - E Staal - Semin

Skinner - J Staal - Lindholm

Gerbe - Sutter - Tlusty

Loktionov - Nash - Dwyer

B McGinn

Rask

Defense:

I don't think our defense needs to much of a shake up. I think adding a top 4 guy while bringing back Bellemore will complete the defense. I don't see us resigning Hainsey which is ok with me. He's been great but he is aging and will probably get a pay raise elsewhere. I know keeping the defense mostly the same seems crazy but I think a major reason the defense struggled was because we couldn't keep consistent possession in our offensive zone. A lot of turnovers lead to odd-man rushes and breakaways. We also gave up a ton of goals because of bad line changes. Which goes back to coaching in my opinion. I have no clue who would be a good option but I definitely see us signing a top 4 defenseman.

Faulk - Sekera

Bellemore - ??

Harrison - Liles

Murphy

Obviously, this won't all happen but I'd be happy with something similar. 

Danimal - to suggest Eric is slacking in the offseason overlooks that he spent last summer rehabbing a serious knee injury. Yes this was a subpar year for what he is paid. But how many players have missed as few games as Eric over the past 9 years. We will never get fair value for him, so even if there is a desire to trade him, I don't see it happening. I would still like to see a coaching change now. Kirk just looks overmatched to me. Whatever happens I will support the team.

Lawdawg regarding the "injury report and or Eric Staal from this year and someone getting a pass as a result:"

Eric Staal has finished "+" 3 times now in 11 years (including this one) and we won the Stanley Cup in one of those years when his line was the 2nd line (didn't get other teams best defense).  SO he is "+" 2 times now in 10 years. 

5th Highest paid in NHL.

He gets a pass ??  Really?

Rationalization as defined by psychology would be a perfect thing to reference here. 

Under no circumstances can any injury, alien attack, trans dimensional interference or JFK conspiracy person justify what we have received from the 5th highest paid player in the NHL the last mulitiple years.  He seems like a fine young lad who is otherwise obviously vastly overpaid and underachieving chronically for that pay.

I realize that is very unpopular but its what a dispassionate view of the actual facts at hand say respectfully.

You know, One Timer, those years that E Staal has been a minus, what kind of linemates has he been saddled with? While this might be sufficient for you to accept, it is something to consider??

You know, One Timer, those years that E Staal has been a minus, what kind of linemates has he been saddled with? While this might be sufficient for you to accept, it is something to consider??

Ray WHitney, Erik Cole,  Stillman, the list isn't too shabby...

We should hire Trotz.  There really shouldn't be any debate here.  Look at what he did for the Preds and look at the talent that he had.

bd58, Please, please lets not consider him. Talk about "watching grass grow", most on here acknowlege that Maurice's style was "boring", but how would you like to sit thru 41 games of that? Besides, Trotz had the players to bring that type of game. Do we really think even our overhauled D could perform to his expectations?

Then too, haven't many posters complained of what appears to be an emotionless persona this year? Trotz appears to epitomize that state, in other words, I expect that he's a great poker player.

Just say NO.

Ray WHitney, Erik Cole,  Stillman, the list isn't too shabby...

Hate to keep "picking" on you bluedevil58, but the names you've mentioned are not stalwart defensive players. I don't question their collective offensive skills,but were they able to stop the other side of the +/- equation?

You're kidding right?  Muller had a team full of talent and failed miserably.  Trotz had a team that wasn't so great and a starting goalie that went down for 50 games and he just missed the playoffs by the last week.  Anything would be better than Muller at this point even Paul Maurice.  We need to bring in a proven coach that KNOWS HOW TO WIN and Trotz is exactly that.

Hate to keep "picking" on you bluedevil58, but the names you've mentioned are not stalwart defensive players. I don't question their collective offensive skills,but were they able to stop the other side of the +/- equation?

Ok what about this year then?  Staal played with Semin and Tlusty.  2 very good defensive players and his stats were still *edit*.  Please go on with your argument.

It always seems that there are numerous reasons to justify the lack of leadership, production from E. Staal.  Injuries, linemates, whatever.  It seems that over the last several years the common theme has been to try to find someone that E can play with and feed off of.  I don't know that we have ever had anyone else on this team that this has been discussed to the same degree that it has been with E.  At the end of last year there was much speculation that he was injured because he just wasn't playing his game.  Maybe he is a hell of a leader in the dressing room, I don't know.

What I don't understand is if he is that good, why is it that we don't seem to be able to find anyone that can make him his best?  Why can't we find someone who can inflict a positive, leadership display on the ice?  Someone who can make him play and understand not to take penalties out of frustration?  Some folks are better followers than leaders.  Some players are better players than leaders and just because you can do one of them well doesn't necessarily mean that you can do the other.

I don't care who leads the team as long as when I turn on the TV I cannot tell immediately if we are playing good or bad, before seeing the score, by the body language of the player who has the "C" on his chest for this team.  It is very evident by the way E carries himself, IMO.  I have never seen the camera catch him firing up his teammates on the bench or showing much emotion other than the deflated, beaten look that he often has.  Whether you agree or not, that HAS to have an affect on the team.

I personally think we are trying to put a square peg in a round hole with E as Captain

So he lead the team in points while playing through an injury and you STILL find a way to hate on him?

haha ok

So paying a guy his salary to come in and play mediocre hockey when we could've snagged one or two other decent players to put up the same numbers he did this season is ok with you?

haha ok

You're kidding right?  Muller had a team full of talent and failed miserably.  Trotz had a team that wasn't so great and a starting goalie that went down for 50 games and he just missed the playoffs by the last week.  Anything would be better than Muller at this point even Paul Maurice.  We need to bring in a proven coach that KNOWS HOW TO WIN and Trotz is exactly that.

Ok what about this year then?  Staal played with Semin and Tlusty.  2 very good defensive players and his stats were still *edit*.  Please go on with your argument.

Look who is 2nd in the NHL in takeaways.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-takeaway-statistics/2013/

So paying a guy his salary to come in and play mediocre hockey when we could've snagged one or two other decent players to put up the same numbers he did this season is ok with you?

haha ok

You don't trade away a guy like Eric for one somewhat down season. Like Rem has pointed out, last season he was on pace for 90+ points. He suffered a major knee injury last Summer and then had a very slow start this season. Trading him now would be trading him at his absolute lowest value and be a huge mistake.

Edited by TheFaulker

Look who is 2nd in the NHL in takeaways.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-takeaway-statistics/2013/

You don't trade away a guy like Eric for one somewhat down season. Like Rem has pointed out, last season he was on pace for 90+ points. He suffered a major knee injury last Summer and then had a very slow start this season. Trading him now would be trading him at his absolute lowest value and be a huge mistake.

So you're basing your argument on a single stats?  Take aways.

So you're basing your argument on a single stats?  Take aways.

Are you basing your argument on his +/-?

I'm not basing my argument on that one stat. But it does help. People are always complaining about Eric being "lazy" yet he's consistently near the top of the league in take aways. That's impressive to me.

Edited by TheFaulker

bluedevil, I'm sorry you feel like this is an "argument", while I simply view it as a difference of opinion. As far as replacing Muller with Trotz, I submit that Barry Trotz was very successful in the Western Conference, where by all accounts, the philosophy is DEFENSE. To me, this has always made good sense, as the amount of travel those teams have to undergo in a season surely calls for conservation of energy, ergo defense which relies on less energy, than full out 200 ft attack. Trotz eventually got the players for his system, and they played it to perfection. Now, do I think that simply because a coach is successful in one market translates to anywhere he's transplanted, no. Also, as I recall, Nashville hasn't been too terribly successful in their playoff quest.

More to the point, in order to bring this team, with it's current roster and it's AHL players to the status wnere Trotz's coaching expertise would prosper to me would take at the minimum of 5 years. If many on this forum believe that there are only a few PLAYER TWEAKS that are necessary, as I certainly think, than to go full bore DEFENSE would take a complete overhaul. More importantly, where do we get those players from?

Now, as to the comment "Muller had a team full of talent and failed miserably", I just don't agree. ON PAPER, yes, but prior to the start of this miserable season, there were at least 3 major injuries with which to contend. Staal's major knee injury, Cam's very similar if not quite so severe knee issue, and Semin's as yet fully healed wrist problem. You state that Trotz had his "starting goalie go down for 50 games", must I remind you that Muller had not just his starting but also backup go down, so relied on his AHL goalie, as good as he eventually responded.

bluedevil, in summary, let me say that I'm just as frustrated as anyone on here with this season, and I think that changes have to be made top to bottom. I just don't believe that Muller should be relieved of the head coaching position, and certainly not by Trotz. Despite what you or I think, however, the decision certainly will reached by the new GM.

This will not be popular but I would say no to bringing back Brandon Sutter. He only had 26 points this year I believe and I think he was a -9 on a very good team. I know he is a third line center but still...

I was never a fan but I'm probably in the minority. I just never saw the grit and hustle that is supposed to come with the "Sutter" name.

I also have concerns about bringing back Gerbe and Loktionov. We are already smallish and soft. Those guys played with effort this year but there is no denying that they lose a lot of battles along the boards/get pushed off the puck easily. They along with Dwyer would mean more of the same. I like all of them as players, but having all of them upsets team balance in my opinion.

We need to get more physical along the boards and on the forecheck. We need to win more board battles and maintain possession of the puck.

It's a tough situation but something has to give/adjustments need to be made IMO.

Faulk Staal may be great in take aways but he losses the puck shortly there after. Or he gets checked and takes 20 seconds to get up. We all have seen this.

I am SHOCKED and appalled that some of you once again are defending Muller based on "injuries". We had a high salary team and a re built blue line. Muller could not get this team to the post season. Like many of you stated all he needed was a "pre-season training camp" well he had that and look at what happened.

What's next? Does he need one injury free season full of players that are 100% in order to be successful? Is that the next concept? 1 more season just one more? Mark my words: if he is coach next season we are missing the playoffs.