The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I just don't buy it.  Who would lead this team offensively first of all?  Second, what is Jordan Staal gonna do?  Doesn't seem legit to me, I don't think we let Eric go without one more shot with a new coach.  He was on fire in the lockout season and he was slow with a possible nagging injury last year.  So to just get rid of him after little bro came here to play with him doesn't seem realistic.......Unless of course RF is dismantling the core to shock the fan base and start over with a completely new team. 

Phaneuf, Kadri, and Bozak for Eric, as that article suggested, would be a pretty solid deal for us. I'd do that.

Then do the Ward and Murphy for Marleau trade.

Sign Hemsky.

Marleau - Bozak - Hemsky

Tlusty - J Staal - Semin

Skinner - Kadri - Lindholm

Gerbe - Nash - Dwyer

Sekera - Phaneuf

Faulk - Bellemore

Harrison - Liles

Jordan

I can dream, right?

Marleau / Staal / Hemsky sounds a lot better.  One of the reasons the Make Beliefs are rumorsed to want Staal is that they can't seem to win without a true #1 center...

I do believe that we could go after Hemsky "depending on our budget".  Eric really needs a playmaker and a sniper to be at his best. 

I definitely don't understand the love for Kadri, His numbers are about equal to Laroses.  So we get an offensive defenseman and a chad larose for our only player to ever put up 70plus points every season except last?  NO thanks.

IF the Flyers would retain salary and IF it we only had to give up a bag of pucks, would Vinny Lecavalier be a good fit between Skinner and Lindholm.  Seems like that could be a good fit to me....

Marleau / E. Staal / Hemsky

Tlusty / J. Staal / Semin

Skinner / Lecavalier / Lindholm

Thornton / Nash / Dwyer

Okay, so my daydreaming is a bit out of hand, but it does look good.  I know Vinny is a shell of the 50 goal, 100 point forward he once was, but would provide leadership and experience on that line and should draw some pretty soft matchups.  You gotta think that teams would need to throw everything they have defensively against that first line.

I can only thing Francis trades E under three circumstances:

1. Francis thinks E. is part of the problem and is beyond fixing.

2. E. and J. see this and understand and agree to the parting.

3. Someone overpays even throwing last year out, overpays based on previous years.

If Toronto is really so eager to get E. let them pile stuff into their end of the trade.

Much like Ward, E is coming off a bad year. He should only be traded if an interested GM looks back and writes last year off. 

If a GM says, "Well, I might take Eric Staal off your hands. Of course he's not worth much after that season last year...."

That conversation is over.

Edited by remkin

I noticed that yesterday and wondered if he could be had for the price of Jordan Staal and a prospect. Ottawa's in a big disadvantage in that everyone knows he wants to be traded, they don't particularly want him back, and nobody really wants to play there. It's highly doubtful even if we wanted him. We're in the same conference, and too much competition for him.

So Brian Campbell wants out of Florida. 

Brian Campbell wants out of Florida, says report | Puck Daddy - Yahoo Sports

Wouldn't mind having him, but can't see a deal w/ his massive cap hit, we'd need to move Ward, but they've got Luongo so can't see that but...

It might give a competing coach some pause about going to Florida, because according to the article, he made them a much better team. At least as of this minute we don't have players publicly demanding trades. 

So Brian Campbell wants out of Florida. 

Brian Campbell wants out of Florida, says report | Puck Daddy - Yahoo Sports

Wouldn't mind having him, but can't see a deal w/ his massive cap hit, we'd need to move Ward, but they've got Luongo so can't see that but...

It might give a competing coach some pause about going to Florida, because according to the article, he made them a much better team. At least as of this minute we don't have players publicly demanding trades. 

I'm sure any deal involving Campbell will have Florida retaining some salary. 

Edited by TheFaulker

I'm sure any deal involving Campbell will have Florida retaining some salary. 

and taking JML.  Maybe JML and a lower ranked player/pick for Campbell and 1 mil of cap space.   I think it would be hard to justify in essence paying JML more than 5 mil a year to play by asking for more money. 

Its still good for the canes.  Replacing JML with a better version for 2.3 mil a year (which would be easier to eat if Ward was moved).

Edited by gocanes0506

The Sharks have made the "blow up" official.  

Wonder if they have any interest in Ward?

Well, they just resigned Stavlock, and Niemi is under contract for one more year.  I don't see them taking extra years and salary.

Well, they just resigned Stavlock, and Niemi is under contract for one more year. I don't see them taking extra years and salary.

I think if that Marleau rumor, if it had any validity, could still happen if we took Niemi as part of the package. A Ward/Harrison/prospect for Marleau/Niemi trade works numbers wise. I think Niemi could be a solid #2 as well.

For what it's worth, Ecklund kinda backtracked a little, saying Carolina as well as Tampa have interest in Marleau.

While Miller be nice if we didn't have Khudobin and Ward, coming here would push Khudobin back to a 1B, possibly #2 and I don't think that would be good for him unless we were dumping both and picking up a backup and not someone who is in line to be a #1.

Edited by hopper915

IF the Flyers would retain salary and IF it we only had to give up a bag of pucks, would Vinny Lecavalier be a good fit between Skinner and Lindholm.  Seems like that could be a good fit to me....

Marleau / E. Staal / Hemsky

Tlusty / J. Staal / Semin

Skinner / Lecavalier / Lindholm

Thornton / Nash / Dwyer

Okay, so my daydreaming is a bit out of hand, but it does look good.  I know Vinny is a shell of the 50 goal, 100 point forward he once was, but would provide leadership and experience on that line and should draw some pretty soft matchups.  You gotta think that teams would need to throw everything they have defensively against that first line.

Have to say no to Vinny. I think with his attitude there is no upside to his acquisition. Basically he's a coach killer, Look how many he has had before Tampa dumped him in Philly.

Came across this, and found it interesting:

Since 2000, most goals by 21-year old or younger players in their first 4 seasons -

1. Steven Stamkos

2. Sidney Crosby

3. Ilya Kovalchuk

4. Jeff Skinner

8. Jordan Staal

Any Chance  Caps would be interested in Cam?? Im on record, that i want him to say here.. but..

I too want Cam to stay. But the reality is that his contract is hampering the team given his performance. It's going to be really tough for Francis to move him as a salary dump. I don't know of a team that would want to take on a $6+ million contract and not send a hefty contract the other way.