The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Any Chance Caps would be interested in Cam?? Im on record, that i want him to say here.. but..

There was speculation shortly after the season ended that the caps could have interest in Cam. Only person I'd want from them is Joel Ward. Maybe Green.

There was speculation shortly after the season ended that the caps could have interest in Cam. Only person I'd want from them is Joel Ward. Maybe Green.

I'd take Marcus Johansson 

are there not several free agent goalies that could be brought in for much less than 6+ million a year?

If you go by this list, to answer your question, I'd say ANY goaltender available.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/hockey-sports/the-highest-paid-nhl-goalies-for-2013-2014/

The only way to move Ward will be a trade with us picking up:

A ) partial salary

B ) a player with similar contract pricing

C ) draft picks

Basically, any team who's looking for help in net but has a contract to offload before freeing up the cash to sign any FA, thus looking for a trade. I'm not sure anyone is in that position yet. I'd look for early season injuries or desperation from another team causing them to be in a position where they have no other choice.

Anything other than a pick type trade or buyout before the draft, I don't see Cam being moved before the season starts. Fine with me. If peters turns this team around and we're sitting on Cam and Dobbie, he'll prob stick around longer.

Edited by Whattausay

If you go by this list, to answer your question, I'd say ANY goaltender available.

http://www.therichest.com/sports/hockey-sports/the-highest-paid-nhl-goalies-for-2013-2014/

The only way to move Ward will be a trade with us picking up:

A ) partial salary

B ) a player with similar contract pricing

C ) draft picks

Basically, any team who's looking for help in net but has a contract to offload before freeing up the cash to sign any FA, thus looking for a trade. I'm not sure anyone is in that position yet. I'd look for early season injuries or desperation from another team causing them to be in a position where they have no other choice.

Anything other than a pick type trade or buyout before the draft, I don't see Cam being moved before the season starts. Fine with me. If peters turns this team around and we're sitting on Cam and Dobbie, he'll prob stick around longer.

If we're being fair, two of the top 3 UFA goalies are coming off of bad years on championship caliber teams (Miller & Hiller).  Maybe GM's think if they can't succeed on high level teams like St. Louis and Anaheim, and given their ages, what makes them think they can succeed for them?  At this point in his career, Broudeur is just a rental player for one season and will most likely go to a high level team, probably Chicago.  Same thing with Tim Thomas.  He's the same age, just coming off a bad injury and a year off prior, and he had a hard time finding a job last season.  The rest of the UFA's seem underwhelming if you're looking for a starter.  Cam did have an off season, but he's really in the same boat as most of the goalies that are in the float pool.  He has proven he can perform on a team with inferior talent/defensive capability.  And while he's not the youngest guy in the world, he still probably has more productive years than a lot of guys that are unrestricted.  I don't think he's unmovable, especially to a salary floor team, or a team trying to get rid of a bad contract.  One thing I do know is that nothing's predictable on draft day.

I seriously doubt Cam would wave his NTC to go 3 hrs north to Washington, a team he has faced as a rival for his whole career.   I'b bet if he had a destination list it would probably be all western conference or near his hometown. No way he'd wanna go to  washington, Jersey, Buffalo, florida,  etc....., He would probably wanna get far removed from Carolina.

I seriously doubt Cam would wave his NTC to go 3 hrs north to Washington, a team he has faced as a rival for his whole career.   I'b bet if he had a destination list it would probably be all western conference or near his hometown. No way he'd wanna go to  washington, Jersey, Buffalo, florida,  etc....., He would probably wanna get far removed from Carolina.

Usually that goes for the team too. Ups the risk quotient to trade a guy to a division rival. If he has a great season it's right there in your backyard. 

Not that a deal to Washington is impossible, just has that impediment in the way. 

What Remkin said.  I think it would be a big mistake to deal Cam to a Metro team. He showed that he can still play brilliantly at times last year. I fear he'd turn into our worst nightmare if dealt within the Division.

What Remkin said.  I think it would be a big mistake to deal Cam to a Metro team. He showed that he can still play brilliantly at times last year. I fear he'd turn into our worst nightmare if dealt within the Division.

I have never bought into the "you can't trade to a team in your division/conference".  I think you need to make the best deal, and if the best return and help for your team comes from a rival, so be it.

I have never bought into the "you can't trade to a team in your division/conference".  I think you need to make the best deal, and if the best return and help for your team comes from a rival, so be it.

I don't think division should be a factor at all.  Find a deal and get it done!

I don't disagree with you in general.  But I do worry about setting us up to play 8 times a year against a extra motivated goalie who has shown he can single handedly win big games.  I guess it all comes down to ones prognostication as to Wards future performance. 

Well, I agee that if the deal is right you do it, but the idea of GM's not wanting to trade, especially big names, within the division is pretty wide spread. I personally just think it is one hurdle. Makes it less likely to happen as both GM's might be hesitant, but doesn't mean it can't happen.

Went over to Cap Geek to see the Canes financial numbers.

Right now, we have 14 players under contract with a potential of around $18mil in cap space (#12 in the league).

Buffalo has the most in potential cap space at $36mil and Philadelphia the least at around $4mil.

Tlusty, Loktionov, Bowman and Gerbe are the RFA's we have.

Malholtra, Dvorak, Pitkanen, Hainsey, Komisarek, Bellemore and Peters are the UFA's we have.

There are some big names out there in the UFA's.

Right now, we have 14 players under contract with a potential of around $18mil in cap space (#12 in the league).

Buffalo has the most in potential cap space at $36mil and Philadelphia the least at around $4mil.

Malholtra, Dvorak, Pitkanen, Hainsey, Komisarek, Bellemore and Peters are the UFA's we have.

The key next season might not be as much cap space as how much $$ PK is willing to spend.  He seemed to indicate that he might be pulling back from the cap max, but I'm wondering if the new Pens "rivalry" might not change that a bit.

Edited by LakeLivin

hopper, If I remember correctly, RF was very specific that he didn't foresee any "big moves". Do we think that he's learned the "Art of Misdirection" from his tutor(he who will not be mentioned by me)?

Well, I agee that if the deal is right you do it, but the idea of GM's not wanting to trade, especially big names, within the division is pretty wide spread. I personally just think it is one hurdle. Makes it less likely to happen as both GM's might be hesitant, but doesn't mean it can't happen.

While I feel that is probably the case more times than not, I wouldn't throw the idea of trading with Washington out the window. As far as the hurricanes are concerned, we have more to worry about than the Capitals, and vice versa. Both of these teams missed the playoffs last season and have the pressure to get back. So if both teams think the other team has something they need, in this stingy market the nhl currently has, you go for it.

If we can get a quality defenseman for Cam, I don't care who we trade with.

Personally I completley agree with doing it if the deal is good.. It is going to be tough going getting a decent return on Cam. If Washington can give us good return I'd be for it. Maybe we know how to beat Cam. Or maybe he knows our tendancies...hmmmm. But sure, if the right deal is there, I'd do it.

This is a horrible hire. In charge of the oilers defense for 4 years. What is this?

Peters was impressive in his press conference, so I am going to assume he knows what he is doing. We had assistant coaches with fairly good resumes, and how did that work out? I think I'll wait to pass judgement until I see some results. Do you ever have anything good to say about anything?

Yeah, I have to go with the "trust they know what they're doing" line, because on paper this guy does not seem at first blush to be the needed piece. I guess Rod is taking on the offensive side, which I guess makes sense, but really hoped to see a guy with A. Long coaching history B. Winning tradition C. Powerplay genius.

Seems like 0-3 on those. At least as a coach. Don't seem to think of Edmonton as a defensive powerhouse either....

Edited by remkin