The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Has anyone heard if RF gave qualifying offers to Manny and Gerbe? I hope. He certainly is a quiet GM! 

Malhotra is an UFA so I don't believe he requires a qualifying offer.

Gerbes' qualifying offer is only $605k (one way).  I'm sure his market value is more than that after last year, so I don't see that really coming into play, either.

I read the following today from N&O article: "

“I don’t foresee a major makeover,” he said. “We’ve got some pretty good pieces in place. I know it’s frustrating we haven’t made the playoffs in five years. We finished just outside (the playoffs) by 10 points, which is one win a month (more) over the course of (the past) season."

This just burns me - missed 5 years in a row, 10 points IS a long way off in this league, yet no major changes required, "pretty good pieces".  Kind of sounds like Rutherford in latter years.  My group have been season ticket holders from 1st day of ESA in Raleigh - we've already decided if 'Canes do not make the playoffs this year, it will be our last.  Attitude expressed in clip above suggests trajectory may not change!

I can understand your frustration, but I do believe that after the coaching search went that Francis likes to keep things close and not let everyone know his business.  I think it is especially true now that he has to contend with his former boss nearing panic mode in Pittsburgh.  I will be very surprised if this holds true, I do think changes are coming, not sure of major but I do think very possible. The poker face is in play at the moment IMHO

I read the following today from N&O article: "

“I don’t foresee a major makeover,” he said. “We’ve got some pretty good pieces in place. I know it’s frustrating we haven’t made the playoffs in five years. We finished just outside (the playoffs) by 10 points, which is one win a month (more) over the course of (the past) season."

This just burns me - missed 5 years in a row, 10 points IS a long way off in this league, yet no major changes required, "pretty good pieces".  Kind of sounds like Rutherford in latter years.  My group have been season ticket holders from 1st day of ESA in Raleigh - we've already decided if 'Canes do not make the playoffs this year, it will be our last.  Attitude expressed in clip above suggests trajectory may not change!

I think we have a really good team.  We just need a few key players.

1. A 3rd line center

2. 2 4th liners who know how to hit

3. a top pairing d man if Hainsey isn't resigned.

4. A solid 2-3rd pairing physical d man,

5.  Maybe a 3rd line power forward.

So, bd58, by your estimation, we'd need to replace about 1/3 of the team. Good luck with that. On another front, just read a poster on Canes Country suggesting that from the sounds of it, Manny is positioning for a long term contract, and doesn't sound like we'll retain him! I will be sad!

So, bd58, by your estimation, we'd need to replace about 1/3 of the team. Good luck with that. On another front, just read a poster on Canes Country suggesting that from the sounds of it, Manny is positioning for a long term contract, and doesn't sound like we'll retain him! I will be sad!

Really these are easy pieces to find.

3rd line center:  Easy 1.5-2.5m MAX

2 4th line bangers:  EASY 1.5m MAX.

Resigning Hainsey negates number 3.

A solid 2-3rd pairing guy is do-able via free agency,

3rd line PF might be the hardest.

Either way these are not HUGE acquisitions,  These are role players.  Also, Manny lost a lot of steam towards the end of the season and didn't do a whole lot.  I am fine with us not resigning him and using Nash on the 4th line.  You act like my list is UNDOABLE.  It's not like we need an elite winger for Staal or an upper tier #2 center.  We already have those pieces.  We just need the glue.  Physicality.

Edited by bluedevil58

I still think we need 2 top 6 forwards, one 2nd pair D-man and a fourth line forward.

That is not an easy task but those were the holes last year. When Muller made adjustments he was just moving pieces. One move created a weakness elsewhere.

I wouldn't break up the Skinner-Nash-Lindy line. I wouldn't break up Tlusty and Semin. I don't know if they skate with E or J or a new center but I don't break them up.

Fourth lines need to be more then just bangers now. They need to contribute and when possible get some special team work. They won't skate big minutes but they better skate big in the minutes they are given.

Nash is developing so I would stick with him but if you don't see him on third line then trade him. He really isn't a fourth line player IMO.

We need to add a second pairing Dman probable with Hainsey. I would guess either Bellemore or Harry stay but probable not both. My guess is we keep Harrison because he shoots left and could play bottom pair with Murphy.

and of course we need to fix our goalie trilogy but that is a deletion not an addition.

Really these are easy pieces to find.

3rd line center:  Easy 1.5-2.5m MAX

2 4th line bangers:  EASY 1.5m MAX.

Resigning Hainsey negates number 3.

A solid 2-3rd pairing guy is do-able via free agency,

3rd line PF might be the hardest.

Either way these are not HUGE acquisitions,  These are role players.  Also, Manny lost a lot of steam towards the end of the season and didn't do a whole lot.  I am fine with us not resigning him and using Nash on the 4th line.  You act like my list is UNDOABLE.  It's not like we need an elite winger for Staal or an upper tier #2 center.  We already have those pieces.  We just need the glue.  Physicality.

And every team in the league is looking for these same pieces.  That's what makes this hard.

Why in the world are the Canes profiling almost certain top 5 picks like Aaron Ekblad | Leon Draisaitl | Michael Dal Colle | Sam Bennett  and Sam Reinhart instead of the next tier where we'll likely select?  Are they hinting that they're aggressively trying to trade up?  Because if not, I want to hear about the Virtanens, Ritchies, Ehlers, etc. before players we have almost no hope of drafting . . . :unsure:    

WE RE-SIGNED HAINSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DETAILS TO COME.  Looks like a 3 year deal though 3m for the first 2. 2.5m for the last.

THIS IS A STEAL!!!

Edited by bluedevil58

bluedevil58, Thanks for the update!1 As to your original list, as super dave interjects, and my point was that the signings you speculate on are relatively simple, we are essentially competing with 29 other teams for these players. I vividly recalled last year where several on these sites were begging JR to get that 1 3rd line center and that never materialized, Now I couldn't possible know if that one acquisition would have changed the outcome of the year, but the point remains that he certainly would have helped.

Then I see your suggestions of how many players exactly are you asking for? While minor in appearance, I just don't see this happening this year.

Why in the world are the Canes profiling almost certain top 5 picks like Aaron Ekblad | Leon Draisaitl | Michael Dal Colle | Sam Bennett  and Sam Reinhart instead of the next tier where we'll likely select?  Are they hinting that they're aggressively trying to trade up?  Because if not, I want to hear about the Virtanens, Ritchies, Ehlers, etc. before players we have almost no hope of drafting . . . :unsure:    

You know, Lake, I keep wondering those same things? Why tantalize us with these draftees that we've got little chance of drafting? Give us bios of those we have a realistic chance of getting.

I would love Sharpie!!

He has 3 more years on a contract worth $5.9mil/year.  High price to pay unless we can free up some cap space.

I don't see either Staal being moved, I think Semin is worth keeping, and Skinner is one of RF's drafts so will probably stay.  All together, with those 4, we have $26.9mil already allocated up front.

In the back, we have Faulk, Liles, Hainsey, Sekera, and Harrison under contract for $15.78mil.  That totals $46,28mil in just 9 players.

(And I am hoping we will not resign Pitkanen!!!!)

Don't forget Ward and Khudobin's combined $8.5 mill!!!

To have a 22 man roster, we need to pickup 11 more players with only $15.5mil (+/- $2 mil) and that's to the Salary Cap!!  (If my numbers are correct!!!!)

We will need to trade someone in these top ranks to get Sharp and not really sure who I would let go!

Does this look right?

Edited by Caniac5

He has 3 more years on a contract worth $5.9mil/year.  High price to pay unless we can free up some cap space.

I don't see either Staal being moved, I think Semin is worth keeping, and Skinner is one of RF's drafts so will probably stay.  All together, with those 4, we have $26.9mil already allocated up front.

In the back, we have Faulk, Liles, Hainsey, Sekera, and Harrison under contract for $15.78mil.  That totals $46,28mil in just 9 players.

To have a 22 man roster, we need to pickup 11 more players with only $15.5mil (+/- $2 mil) and that's to the Salary Cap!!  (If my numbers are correct!!!!)

We will need to trade someone in these top ranks to get Sharp and not really sure who I would let go!

Does this look right?

Only way the Canes land a guy like Sharp is if they move Ward's contract.

It will never happen,   and if Wardo doesnt get moved, he has LOT TO PROVE to others, not himself...:)

It will never happen,   and if Wardo doesnt get moved, he has LOT TO PROVE to others, not himself... :)

Got that right!!!  And, if Wardo ends up sitting on the bench more than playing, it will be the most expensive backup goalie...EVER!!!

Does this look right?

You were off a little. Probably transposed your numbers. The 9 forwards/dmen you listed total 42.68 million.

Looking at capgeek after today's signings of Gerbe and Hainsey it looks like we are $13.82 million from the cap and have 6 spots to fill. Currently have 8 forwards signed and 6 Dmen and the 2 goalies.

As far as getting Sharp I don't see it happening. They're talking about trading him for Kesler to center their 2nd line. 

I see us filling our roster with our RFA's and 4th line UFA's that don't cost much. 

I still think we need 2 top 6 forwards, one 2nd pair D-man and a fourth line forward.

That is not an easy task but those were the holes last year. When Muller made adjustments he was just moving pieces. One move created a weakness elsewhere.

I wouldn't break up the Skinner-Nash-Lindy line. I wouldn't break up Tlusty and Semin. I don't know if they skate with E or J or a new center but I don't break them up.

Fourth lines need to be more then just bangers now. They need to contribute and when possible get some special team work. They won't skate big minutes but they better skate big in the minutes they are given.

Nash is developing so I would stick with him but if you don't see him on third line then trade him. He really isn't a fourth line player IMO.

We need to add a second pairing Dman probable with Hainsey. I would guess either Bellemore or Harry stay but probable not both. My guess is we keep Harrison because he shoots left and could play bottom pair with Murphy.

and of course we need to fix our goalie trilogy but that is a deletion not an addition.

One of the biggest reasons Muller was fired was the way he set up the lines. Why would we keep players together when they're going to be playing a whole new system with a brand new coaching staff? Disagree completely. If certain players gel together still under the new coach, fine. But why would we try to keep players together that had success once? Tlusty, Semin, J, Nash, and Lindy didn't really have great seasons. Don't understand this thinking.

I think Hainsey was a big one. Assuming we bring up Murphy, that gives us Sekera, Faulk, Murphy, Hainsey, JML as a core. If some how some way Francis could upgrade with one key FA or trade, we could go w/:

Sekera/Faulk

Upgrade/Murphy

JML/Hainsey

Bellemore

One less move to make.

On the draft profiles they did that last year too. Maybe don't want to tip the hand of what we are really going to do. 

So far so good on Francis. 

Let's see what he can do w/ Ward....

Edited by remkin