The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Ward for Lecavalier.  We retain 1.5M of Wards contract.   This is a rumor that I have been hearing about.  Do not know if it's legit. Lecavalier's salary is for 3 years and each year it is less money ending at 3M.  This beats paying 6M for a bench warmer.  At least Vincent could center our 3rd line and contribute.  Can you imagine the size we would have down the middle?!!  Thoughts?    

Edited by bluedevil58

Hmmm. A 34 yo forward on the decline with a cap hit of $4.5m for the next 4 years and a NT clause?  AND we're supposed to eat $1.5m of Ward's contract for the next 2 years? To me that would only make sense if he was viewed as the last piece needed to make a serious run this year or next, and I don't see that being the case. 

I can certainly see why Philly would do that trade.  They free up cap space in 2 years vs 4 and I don't believe, as usual, that Mason is really their ingrained number one goalie.

I'd also bet if we are able to actually move Ward, it will end up having to be a salary-swap type trade like this one.  So, I can see why the Canes might consider it.

Sure favor youth over a soon to be broken down 34-year old that's terrible defensively with a potentially albatross contract.  Even if that means Nash.  He's cheaper and about 10 years younger

Right turn Clyde.

This team won't go anywhere until we replace Pitkanen.

That's pretty much my opinion on all things Canes at the moment. 

I'm waiting to see what happens.

I rest my case for the season, or until we do as mentioned above.

Can't wait for the draft tomorrow.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Why is no one mentioning our prospects? Brock McGinn, Sergey Tolchinsky, Viktor Rask all should be coming into camp looking to take a spot on the roster. And two of them could potentially emerge as top-6 forwards in their first year. Not to mention should we use our pick over trading it, we'd have another potential prospect who can come into camp and take a spot. It's not always the big name guys that are signed or acquired via trade that really glue a team together or fill important roles on the team. Patience and faith guys.

Wardo  going to Phila... he will stand on his head.... usually the way that plot plays out.....[Jusi] And i like Nash, i think he really came into his own.... Finally, draft day!

Why is no one mentioning our prospects? Brock McGinn, Sergey Tolchinsky, Viktor Rask all should be coming into camp looking to take a spot on the roster. And two of them could potentially emerge as top-6 forwards in their first year. Not to mention should we use our pick over trading it, we'd have another potential prospect who can come into camp and take a spot. It's not always the big name guys that are signed or acquired via trade that really glue a team together or fill important roles on the team. Patience and faith guys.

Rask could challenge if he has a good summer, but one more year in the minors, with an few call ups, would probably be the best thing for his development.  McGinn should spend the entire year in Charlotte unless he just blows the doors off down there.  Tolchinsky is a great unknown, but I would say Charlotte is as high as he will go this season.  One of the changes I hope to see under Ron Francis is letting our players develop properly.  Boychuk could be on an entire different career path if he had been drafted by Detroit.

While I'm excited about Tolchinsky's long term prospects, I don't think we should even put him on the radar for the NHL for a couple of years.  Last I heard the kid weighed somewhere in the low buck-sixties.  And even though he had a great year last year, I noticed that his numbers dropped as the season went on.  I suspect some of that might be from the grind a long season takes on someone that small.  Imo, someone like Tolchinsky needs to be treated him like a long term asset, i.e., let him grow and develop instead of rushing him into a spot he's not ready for.

SMURF!  SMURF!  SMURF! :grin:      

I can certainly see why Philly would do that trade.  They free up cap space in 2 years vs 4 and I don't believe, as usual, that Mason is really their ingrained number one goalie.

I'd also bet if we are able to actually move Ward, it will end up having to be a salary-swap type trade like this one.  So, I can see why the Canes might consider it.

Sure favor youth over a soon to be broken down 34-year old that's terrible defensively with a potentially albatross contract.  Even if that means Nash.  He's cheaper and about 10 years younger

Took the words right out of my mouth. 

Vinny could take lessons from Skinner and the Kaberle's on defense. I know plus minus is a deeply flawed stat, but I do think that it has merit when taken in context vs. the team, the role, and over long stretches of time. Despite putting up lots of points on his own plus, Vinny is minus 144 for his career, almost always a minus player and was worst on his team last year.  

That said, if his role is to come in and center Skinner and Lindholm on the third line.....that would be tough not to at least look at. The sheer offense could be stunning.  But is he ready for that role? 

I thought I heard some musings that he is not a great locker room guy too....

The guy can still score enough but comes with a big price on defense, and salary, and on the decline, and possibly more....

I have mentioned McGinn several times. I was very impressed with him at camp, more than any other prospect, even Kidsky. He has gone on to put up serious numbers in Juniors this year. If this guy is not eventually at least a career NHL third liner, I will hang up my scout clipboard. 

Rask was a nice hope two years ago, but did not impress last year. Not sure he's got NHL quickness. I would be shocked if he made the team out of camp. He will need to show more in Charlotte first. He still could, but not as hopeful as I was.

Kidsky. Who knows? He is so tiny. Probably needs to go light it up in Charlotte. But isn't he still too young? I agree he is a tantalizing long term prospect, but not this year.

And what of Boychuk? Will Peters put him in the doghouse that Mo and Muller used? Just wonder what he could do if given a chance in the top 6, but don't really want to use a top 6 spot to find out. Contrary to popular belief, I think the guy could score in the NHL if he had gotten the Brandon Sutter series of games without scoring to find his game. I wonder what might have happened had he gotten Bowman's chances. 

McGinn, that's my boy.

With the contract we just gave Terry don't you think he is the most likely to have a shot out of training camp? It appears to me that would be the only reason to sign him first and for the dollars.

Boychuk's future with us is still a mystery and I'm not sure any of the others are ready. Maybe Sutter...maybe

Somehow it is hard for me to see Terry as more than a career AHL player. Clearly the Canes see something to pay him so well at the AHL level. Maybe the Checkers need their star.

At 25 its now or never I guess. He has scored at the AHL level. But what role does he play? He's not a big fella. Not overly fast. We just resigned Gerbe. He can scrap on the 4th line if we want that line to cycle and for check I guess. But he's not a bruiser...

Where does he fit on the big club? 

I can see Terry as a third liner depending on how we set lines and moves we might make. I suppose he could do 4th line work but he isn't exactly my idea of a 4th line player.

Yet that contract leads me to believe we have a plan.

I really wish we had given Boychuk a fair, hard look last season after we were effectively eliminated.  I'm guessing the fact that CHA was fighting for the last playoff spot might have curtailed that possibility. (and maybe that since JR and Muller probably knew that their jobs were on the line, they clung to any semblance of a chance until we were mathematically eliminated)

Edited by LakeLivin

I honestly think Terry starts the season in Charlotte, but is first in line for call ups.  The extra pay at the AHL level is insurance money.  It is a good plan since it may allow a player that needs to stay in Charlotte the ability to stay there for seasoning rather than being thrown in over his head in the NHL.  They also need to do a better job of protecting the first year of entry level deals rather than burn them for little to no effect.  Building the farm system back to a respectable level is just as important for this organization as the on ice product in Raleigh this year. 

Unlike most of you... I wouldn't slot Tlusty in the top 6... the only reason I'd ever consider him a top 6 player, is if the Canes' top six is thin... like...now.

In my opinion, the best 6 forwards on the team (not in order) are the Staals, Semin, Skinner, Tlusty, Gerbe. That's pretty thin. I like both of these players, but I think having to slot both of them in the top 6 is a statement to how thin the Canes are up front. I understand the need for a center if Eric plays wing.. but I'm of the opinion the Canes need to sign a right winger.

NEWSOBSERVER.COM: Chip Alexander reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Ron Francis said his plan is to go into next season with Cam Ward and Anton Khudobin as his goalie tandem. Justin Peters is headed to unrestricted free agency.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Francis could try to move Ward, but his injury history and $6.3 million cap hit (with a full no-trade clause) probably means there’s no market for the veteran starter. 

Well, there's that idea. Guess Ward and his ball and chain contract are staying.

Great...The plan is to keep Ward. it's official. Francis is going to use our 2 guys as atandem and send peters to free agency. Looks like that contract is staying.  We are in big trouble cap wise and have way too many holes to fill.

As far as I can tell here are our holes. I am assuming Tlusty is resigned. Let's put Lindholm on the wing and negate us having to go out and acquire a 2nd line forward. I assume a 3 C is cheaper than a 2nd line F.

Semin-Staal-Tlusty

Skinner-Staal-Lindholm

Gerbe-UFA-UFA

Dwyer-Nash-UFA

Faulk-Sekera

Hainsey-Liles

UFA-Harrison

Murphy

As far as I can tell priority should be a 3C. Lokt is a maybe. If Lokt is signed I would move Lindholm to 3C or put Lokt there. Lindholm seems to have the body/play style to be more of a 3C than Lokt. But signing that 3C should be a priority. Mind you there are unknowns here. Those unknowns are Mcginn, Boychuck, and Rask. Past that...I don't know. Sutter maybe and thne move Nash to the 3C but meh..... So given that we are pretty much screwed CAP wise here is what I would do/propose. 

Semin-Staal-Tlusty

Skinner-Staal-Lindholm

Gerbe-Nash-UFA

Dwyer-Rask/Sutter-McGinn/Blanchard

Faulk-Sekera

Hainsey-Liles

Murphy-Harrison

Jordan

We are going to have to rely heavily on our prospects/checkers now. There simply isn't any other way around this. Thoughts?

I kind of figured Cam was not going............. yet.

The thing I've said many times that makes the most sense is to play both Cam and Anton and see what market is out there when the trade deadline hits. It means (Cam) less money another team wanting him on their books for next season and for us if we keep a portion of his contract. Also if a team wants Anton, $2mil is not a big cap hit for any team to pick up and we wouldn't be on the hook for any of that contract next season. Both, if they have really good seasons, could nab us decent return. Plus if Cam were to show flashes of season's past, all it can do is affect his status in a positive manner.

You know I often think Staal got too much too soon w/ a 100 point season and a cup right off the bat. That there may have been some let down, but that the new regime change might refocus him.

Well all of that goes for Cam too. He was on a clear improve every year trajectory up to the All Star game. Then injuries, lockout, more injuries, not obviously being thrilled with Kirk given his no comment on the exit. Maybe Cam having to fight for his job, lose his job, go on the trading block w/ no trade out there...maybe w/ a new chance and new coach etc. Maybe Cam is healthy and primed and just blows the doors off in camp and early in the season. 

Maybe Dinz is right....

That chance is certainly better than making a bad deal now.