The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I kind of figured Cam was not going............. yet.

The thing I've said many times that makes the most sense is to play both Cam and Anton and see what market is out there when the trade deadline hits. It means (Cam) less money another team wanting him on their books for next season and for us if we keep a portion of his contract. Also if a team wants Anton, $2mil is not a big cap hit for any team to pick up and we wouldn't be on the hook for any of that contract next season. Both, if they have really good seasons, could nab us decent return. Plus if Cam were to show flashes of season's past, all it can do is affect his status in a positive manner.

If they BOTH have a really good season, The Canes are in the Playoffs and neither is traded...

If they BOTH have a really good season, The Canes are in the Playoffs and neither is traded...

Yup, I'm going with this.

I'm taking the optimistic route this summer.

Our top line healthy, reunited top line, and healthy star goalie (can't say #1 yet because IMO it's Khudini's title right now). Major organizational changes,

a new start. If our very next move is at 3C I'll be very optimistic!

Francis needs to do everything possible to ensure that Ward is gone, now.  Ward whined about not being the defacto #1 last year, and his lack of playing time.

We don't need another Irbe-Weekes situation.

It's a witch's brew waiting to boil over.

Francis needs to do everything possible to ensure that Ward is gone, now.  Ward whined about not being the defacto #1 last year, and his lack of playing time.

The only way we're going to move Ward is to send him to Buffalo for a 4th round pick.  His value is at an all-time low and his contract is anything but cap friendly.  Oh yeah, and he has to agree to the trade.  This is a pipe dream.

The only way we're going to move Ward is to send him to Buffalo for a 4th round pick. His value is at an all-time low and his contract is anything but cap friendly. Oh yeah, and he has to agree to the trade. This is a pipe dream.

Compliance buy out. It was possible.

Edited by super_dave_1

I never heard Ward whine about not being the #1. I thought he handled it fine. He knew he wasn't at his best last season.

The only way we're going to move Ward is to send him to Buffalo for a 4th round pick.  His value is at an all-time low and his contract is anything but cap friendly.  Oh yeah, and he has to agree to the trade.  This is a pipe dream.

Says you, but you obviously aren't the GM.

Francis may say we are going into the season with Khudobin-Ward but my bet is behind closed doors he is doing everything possible to move him.

I never heard Ward whine about not being the #1. I thought he handled it fine. He knew he wasn't at his best last season.

In his exit interview, he specifically stated he wasn't given the opportunity to shake off the rust when he came back from injury, and when asked something about Muller's decision to go with Khudobin, he declined to comment.  But it was obvious he wasn't pleased.   

Isn't goaltending the most important position on ice to gain the most wins?  So why are so many against having two great goaltenders instead of a starter and a mediocre backup like most teams most years?  The key to our success this year could be having Ward and Kudo in goal. I also believe Ward will win his #1 spot back this year and have a great season.  Kudo will play more games than most backups and win a lot of them.   

I think that was more the coach than anything else. One thing I wondered, especially after Muller being let go if it was Muller who pushed Cam back into the net before he was ready, causing the set back.

To change things up, as we've beaten this goalie issue to death, watching NHL Network and there is a lot of conversation of all the potential UFA's and RFA's. Would we want to see Jussi back?

Edited by hopper915

As bad as we could use someone like Jussi, I say lets move on from the recycling thing.  We need new names not old ones that may or may not work. If we keep bringing old players back and we keep losing and not making the playoffs than it just doesn't make sense to me.  Hopefully RF wants to move foward with a somewhat new looking team.

I guess I must be the only one that thinks Ward can come back to form. I actually think he could be the one to push us to that promise land should we stumble in goal this year. I think we need a tandem, not a back up. Expensive, I now, but  better than an unproven backup.

I also like the idea of Ward pushing Khudini IF we can't get a decent return for him in a trade.  Kudo has been great for stints, but over the course of a full season he's only put up "good" numbers.  And he wasn't particularly strong at the very end of last season.  Now I hope that's just an anomaly (or maybe malaise after we were out of it?), but I still want to see him be strong over the course of a full season before pinning our future on him.  Add in what I believe might be a higher propensity towards injury for Kudo due to his style of play, and I don't mind mind going into the season with a 2nd goalie who has the potential to be more than a back up.

I'm not predicting this, but it wouldn't shock me to see us end up with a true tandem by the end of next year, or even Ward regaining the top spot.  

Edited by LakeLivin

What I don't get was the NTC's to Staal and Ward. First contract, give'm the big bucks, fine, small market team, face of the franchise 100 point season, Stanely Cup....but is a 20 something really going to hold out for a NTC? Maybe, but I tend to think not.  I guess only JR and the player know for sure. But I bet that they both still would have signed.

Despite knowing you'll be paid, getting traded against your will is a negative motivator, especially the specter of being traded to some really bad team in a bad location. Further, when the trade has to happen, it ties the GM's hands tightly when the guy starts listing teams he won't go to. Look at Kessler. He had 28 teams he wouldn't go to.

On Cam. Hockeysmitten, there are others, Dinz, for one, (edit, and Lake) who still believe. I actually do too. Especially when you use the word "can" come back to form. Last year Cam had a couple of lights out games. Really great. Unfortunately, consistency has been the issue, especially the last couple of years. For every great game, a dud. 

I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. You do want your goalie to want to be #1. But I worry a bit that Cam had it all handed to him very early, and how is he reacting to this new position of fighting for your job while your GM tries to trade you. Cam won a cup and the Con Smythe right out of the shoot. He then really struggled for a couple of years with consistency. But he got all of the starts, even the back end of back to backs. Other guys were roasted on here after a couple of bad starts, but Cam got start after start. He is not used to this. He's used to being the unquestioned #1, even if he is not playing well. Can he battle for his job, but not be a locker room negative? I don't know. But I'd rather chance that than trade him now for nothing.

I would like a team to step up and make an offer for Cam based on his whole history and his few really great games last year. In other words some return, not just a salary dump. And it still could happen. But if it doesn't Francis should bring him back. In general and long term, it is not a good situation though. The problem w/ tying that much cashola up in a back up is that the back up sits over half the games. Have to value the extra wins a good backup would get you with the extra wins a top skater making the same money would bring you.'

Bottom line. Trade him if there is return. Do not just dump his salary.

Just say no to Jussi. I really liked him and was amazed that a guy could put up 60 points and then be relegated to back checking duty. Thanks for that Kirk. But there were signs that Jussi moped and did not react well to it either. He is undersized and we want bigger. 

Really growing to love our 1st pick in the draft. It will not be this year, but in a few years, oh yes.

Edited by remkin

In his exit interview, he specifically stated he wasn't given the opportunity to shake off the rust when he came back from injury, and when asked something about Muller's decision to go with Khudobin, he declined to comment.  But it was obvious he wasn't pleased.   

I just re-watched Cam's interview and did not see any "whining".  What I heard from him is that it sucked that he had problems with his injury and Khudobin would get the starts because he was playing better.  Of course Cam isn't going to be happy about this, but he wasn't whining.  And him not talking about Muller's leadership had nothing  or very little to do with who starts and more the issues of leadership, at least that's what I thought.  

I'd rather get a bag of pucks for Ward now and have money to plug a gaping hole in the lineup than hinge my hopes and prayers he somehow regains his form, whatever that is.

If possible, I think it's time to move on.  It may not be possible, but I hope we continue to work on it.

It's time to move forward, and he certainly isn't in our long-term plans, as evidenced by the draft.

Edited by coastal_caniac

CAR was looking at budget-related options (trade or buyout) to clear goalie Cam Ward's salary but now appears Ward will be remaining in CAR.

CGY was one of several teams that had talked to CAR about Ward. Barring another change of mind, Ward will be CAR's No. 1 G next season.

If we trade Ward, any thought on a back up? With the injury history we've seen w/ goalies, if we trade Ward and get a weak back up, it could be a long year.

CAR was looking at budget-related options (trade or buyout) to clear goalie Cam Ward's salary but now appears Ward will be remaining in CAR.

CGY was one of several teams that had talked to CAR about Ward. Barring another change of mind, Ward will be CAR's No. 1 G next season.

Interesting, but I cannot imaging Cam comes in as the #1 goalie. Maybe McKenzie wasn't paying attention last year.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 3m

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 42s

See, it's already started. :P  And McKenzie is no longer connected now that his best bro is gone to Pittsburgh.

If we trade Ward, any thought on a back up? With the injury history we've seen w/ goalies, if we trade Ward and get a weak back up, it could be a long year.

Interesting, but I cannot imaging Cam comes in as the #1 goalie. Maybe McKenzie wasn't paying attention last year.

It's already going to be a long year with no 3C and without another capable top-4 defenseman, neither of which we can afford and fill-our a full roster given our current cap space.

Edited by coastal_caniac

When you think about it, the thing that makes the most sense with Peters coming in is for him to say "We're starting with a blank slate, Everyone is playing for a spot".  He hasn't said that directly, but he sure did allude to it when he talked about the Ice Time Hammer.   

Edited by LakeLivin

Another thought could be if we were interested in any of the bigger names out there in UFA land and if so, if they showed any interest back. It's one thing to say clear Cam's salary to bring a guy in. It's another to get that guy.

Imagine dumping Cam's salary and bringing in Paul Stastny? Put E on his wing. But the guy would have to want to leave Colorado and then pick us......really? Heck, if he'd come here, buy Cam out. My guess. Yeah, no.

I think a more realistic pick up we should go after: Radim Vrbata. 33, RW, last salary $3 million. Played here early on. A consistently plus player, puts up 40-50 points like clock work. Maybe a bit on the back side of the career, but put up 51 points last year (would have been our #3 scorer). And RW. 

Edited by remkin