The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Compliance buyouts on Ward and Liles would have eased a cool $10M off the cap. Too bad all Ronnie has to work with is couch cushion money.

Ooh, I found a quarter.

That's because he realizes he isn't able to trade him.

By the way McKenzie worded his tweet, it sounds like we weren't asking a lot for him ("budget-related options") and several teams were calling. And he said "barring another change in mind" which, to me, sounds like we turned down deals and decided to keep him.

Edited by TheFaulker

He has children and a wife here.  I think some things are more important than play time.  Plus this is a very nice area.  Maybe he just doesn't want to move or feels that he can earn the starter position back.  Technically we have 2 number ones as of right now.

Feel so bad for Joni. 

Same here, but not at all unexpected.  IF there's any chance he makes it back I didn't expect it to be before the 2015-16 season.

Also feel bad for Gleason.  Waived by the Leafs today for purposes of a buyout. 

I wouldn't feel too bad for Gleason.  He'll make 2/3 of his contract for doing nothing and he still has enough in the tank to sign a 2 year deal with another team in the $2M range.  He'll probably end up playing and making more money than he would have if Toronto had kept him around.

Yeah, I can see why Francis said no to that.

I wonder if that was our 7th pick in the draft or our 7th round pick?  If the 7th overall pick, that's just insulting.

Edited by LakeLivin

I wonder if that was our 7th pick in the draft or our 7th round pick?  If the 7th overall pick, that's just insulting.

Pretty sure #7 overall. I don't think a 7th round pick would convince anyone to take on his contract.

But yeah, no way we do that trade.

"Cam Ward in exchange for Carolina's 7th pick."

How exactly would that work? Sounds like we're trading with ourselves. If they meant Cam + our 1st rounder for something from them, then they would likely need to be offering quite a bit (as in, more than nothing). I'm guessing they weren't.

This was a salary dump.  Right now Cam's value is at an all-time low.  They would have been giving us much needs cap space.  Essentially we just spent 12.6M on Fleury.  He better be worth it.  In other news Boychuck has been qualified with an offer.  This could be our 3rd line forward help.

"Cam Ward in exchange for Carolina's 7th pick."

How exactly would that work? Sounds like we're trading with ourselves. If they meant Cam + our 1st rounder for something from them, then they would likely need to be offering quite a bit (as in, more than nothing). I'm guessing they weren't.

Their offer to us was freeing up $6.25 mil x2 or whatever Ward is making the next 2 seasons. They'd probably send us a late-round pick or something small as well.

Tell me, what am i missing.. Didnt  Cam have  a couple of injuries that hindered his play??? He wasnt  just flat out bad, was he?? Maybe the Cape Cod humidity has gone to my cerebral cortex... Convince me that Cam is DONE....   Floors open..

p.s .. I am a  Dobby fan..

Tell me, what am i missing.. Didnt  Cam have  a couple of injuries that hindered his play??? He wasnt  just flat out bad, was he?? Maybe the Cape Cod humidity has gone to my cerebral cortex... Convince me that Cam is DONE....   Floors open..

p.s .. I am a  Dobby fan..

PLEASE don't start that discussion here.  I'm afraid we'll wake up "he who must not be named". :grin: 

Maybe over in the All Inclusive Goalie thread instead?

I say let it boil over. It's a perfect opportunity for the "Hammer" to make his point.

Can we please call him the 'hammer' from here on out? I really hope he earns that nickname.

It's not ideal, but I think it's a safe move to go into the season giving everyone a clean slate with the new management/coaches. To me it does not look like Ron Francis or "The Hammer" are going to cut anyone any slack. Let's see what the players are really made of.

Clearly Francis & co have identified Muller and Mo before him as the reason the team has underperformed.  I'm not sure I buy this but I'm willing (what choice do I have) to find out.

I stand by my analysis that lead to The Island. But even that assumed one more veteran offensive player picked up that was never added, AND it assumed we'd get something out of Ruutu, who is gone, as is his trade return. If the future rests on resurgence of Staal and Semin and Tlusty AND the arrival in full NHL glory of Boychuk and Terry? That's a lot of hope, and not much change.

Edited by remkin

I agree rem. It will be interesting to see who we sign to bolster our 4th line but I still think we are at least one top 6 forward short. The again what is true today can change tomorrow so maybe that deal that makes sense comes along.

PLEASE don't start that discussion here.  I'm afraid we'll wake up "he who must not be named". :grin:

Maybe over in the All Inclusive Goalie thread instead?

Right, my bad..

I would love to see RF be in the market for a top d-man, but a depth signing may be all that we get.  I would love to see at least a 3rd line center and maybe a quality winger signed, but I'm afraid we'll get a couple of bangers for the 4th line...maybe.

"We like our group", or we might as well since it's all we have.  Maybe Peters can take lemons and make lemonade.  All Muller (and Mo before him) seemed to be able to do was squeeze the lemon in their eyes.