The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Fiddler and Gilbert or Bellemore. The year of Boychuck is upon us. The funny thing is I think he is going to surprise all of us and pull a Tlusty. He is more physical now. Put him on the 3rd line. I think he will be good....

Edited by bluedevil58

If Uncle PK were willing to crack the wallet a bit more this year, here are some on my wish list (or at least "take a hard look at" list:)

Center: Grabovski got $3m from the Caps last year in addition to $1.8 the Leafs are going to be paying him annually for a while. Wonder if we could convince him to come here for perhaps just a tad more?

RW: Reilly Smith is an RFA with about a $900k qualifying offer.  23 yo, 20G, 51P, +28 for the Bruins last year.  Bruins are pushed HARD up against the cap.  Wonder if we could make enough of an offer to where they couldn't match it without hurting their team elsewhere?  Does poaching an RFA ever work?

D: Tom Gilbert, 31yo, 6'2", 206 lbs.  FLA paid him $900k last year in addition to $1m from the Wild (which they owe him again this year). 

D: Anton Stralman, 27yo, $1.8m last year from Rangers.  If his play during their run to the cup finals last year was any indication of future results, he could be a steal long term if we could snag him.

Now all we need to do is get PK to spend to the max and convince one of the forwards and one of the d-man to come down to Canes Country, :P

EDIT:

Oops, forgot to add RW Vrbata.  33yo, made $3m last year.

Edited by LakeLivin

Anton Stralman is reportedly looking for 5yrs at around 5m so you can probably scratch that off your list.

How often do teams let their RFA go? I'm asking but I think it's pretty rare to just let them walk. I wonder how Francis feels about coming out of the gate taking a shot at someone's RFA?

As you know, since I know people read all of my posts, I want Vrbata.

Gilbert would be good.

How often do teams let their RFA go? I'm asking but I think it's pretty rare to just let them walk. I wonder how Francis feels about coming out of the gate taking a shot at someone's RFA?

As you know, since I know people read all of my posts, I want Vrbata.

Gilbert would be good.

It would definitely be viewed as a hostile move by the Bs and they're not going to just let someone like Smith walk.  The offer would have to be enough to entice Smith (I have no idea what he might be looking for) and the Bs would have to have their roster set to the point where they wouldn't want to move out whoever they'd have to in order to match our offer. 

Definitely a longshot, and I wonder if there might be long term repercussions if we were to break the "gentlemans agreement" about RFAs. But I do wonder if there might be some potential in taking a strong look at RFAs of teams that are up against the cap limit. Right now, Boston has $1.64m in cap space and 5 more spots to fill on their roster (and that includes unsigned UFA Iginla).     

Edited by LakeLivin

Apparently we don't have much room either.

By my calculations:

If going by the cap max ($69m) we have $11.7m for 7 spots.  Room enough for 1 and maybe even 2 impact FAs if the remainder are low cost role players (e.g., Boychuk, Terry, etc.)

I'm guessing PK will max us out at last years cap ($64.3m).  That leaves us with $7m for 7 spots.  Not enough to do much of anything in the open market without dumping some major contracts here.  Maybe RF could squeeze out 1 FA at around $1.5m-$2m, but no Vrbatas for that amount, and it would still only leave us at an average of $833k to spend on the other 6.    

Hemsky to Dallas for 4m per @ 3 years. I wish we could pull off something like that, skilled RW would help our PP and make our top 6 actually look like something. 

We have: E. Staal, J. Staal, Semin, Skinner. Who else is considered our top-6? Tlusty isn't signed, Gerbe is a third liner with top-6 upside. Those four are our top-6 forwards. The rest of our forward corps is Dwyer, Lindholm, and Nash. We have 8 forwards at the moment. We also have 5 defensemen at the moment. The only thing set is our goaltending. Where is the rest of our roster coming from? Our system?

With Bradley Malone being signed, there's a fourth line spot filled. That leaves a lines worth of forward spots, and assuming Murphy plays in the NHL all year next season we'd have six dmen, no depth whatsoever.

I really hope we're trying to sign Dominic Moore. Third line center, challenged Malholtra in FO%, can set up plays and works both ends of the ice. Would be a good pickup, reminds me of Cullen in 05/06.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Gilbert signed for 2.8 mil for 2 yrs by Montreal. He's a guy I wanted to pick up last year. I think Ronnie is making a mistake with Bellemore. He showed some promise last year along with his lapses.He's only 26 and can still improve. Vrbata asking to much coin.Reilly Smith would be a big win if we could pull it off. Ronnie has to make some moves,can't put it all on the new coach to pull off a miracle. Cam has us over a barrel at this point.

Free Agency just started, we'll see what happens throughout this month. Just the talk we do nothing and go in with this roster and a bunch of AHL players slotting up is concerning if our goal is to make the playoffs.

Still a lot of names out there.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I like the Malone move, big and physical and young. Gotta be better than malholtra, Dvorak playing the 3rd and 4th lines. I'm hoping we get one or two more D men and another 3rd/4th line forward or two. this is all I'm expecting, a bunch of small signings that could be new chemistry we've needed on 3rd and 4th lines. Our team has a lot of potential, If Peters can get everyone playing there average game instead of everyone having their career worst year(2013/14) Than we will be ok. On top of that Wardo gets his #1 spot back and plays great and we have the best backup in the NHL. Boom, it could all happen easily.

Ronnie reiterates at 2pm interview that he is only looking at perhaps another Dman and a bottom 6 forward. Looking at new coach/"system" to change a lot of things. Stated teams were calling about Cam,but Ronnie still thinks Cam is a good goalie. Meaning teams were offering too little.

I know Francis would like to make a bigger move, but likely there just isn't one to be made right now. Unfortunately.

I like the 1 year for Tlusty...put up or shut up. Also honestly like Ronnie giving the guys in Charlotte a chance...Boychuk and Terry have earned a look and this year it seems they will get a chance to prove their worth in the roles that they were drafted for.

My guess is Nash keeps the 3C slot for now...he was RFs guy and will get a shot to play.

Semin E Boychuk

Gerbe J Tlusty

Lindy Nash Skinner

Dwyer Malone _____

The 2d line needs help...can't see Gerbe and Boychuk on the same line and not a real playmaker in J, Gerbe or Tlusty. It's gonna be interesting to see what plays out, we need more.

Peter Mueller is getting an invite for try outs.

I like this bd58! I've always liked this guy, but what the heck do I know? I loved Malhotra, and look where that went?

BTW, where does that info come from?

It was a tweet.  I am not sure how credible the source is but others seem to think it's credible and usually the guys are right.

Is this the same Mueller that had all the concussions and went over to Sweden to get his game back.  Saw an article on him not too long ago and it sounded like he was really tearing it up over there.