The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I was happy to hear PK say that "if it's necessary to add a piece or 2 we have some space to do so".  I'm taking that to mean that if a particularly nice piece is available at a reasonable price he might up the payroll a bit more than I anticipated.  Or is that just wishful thinking?

Also, PK almost sounded like a different person from his end of season exit interview.  I actually caught glimpses of a sense of humor in there and he didn't seem like he'd rather be anyplace else in the world other than at the press conference this time.

Edited by LakeLivin

Need another big banger on fourth line but can help on the pk. I was hoping could get Tanner Glass. I noticed in the play offs teams played their 4th line a lot.  I wonder if Kyle Clifford is a FA. He played exceptionally well in the play offs.  Need More size. 

Edited by rlrierson

Need another big banger on fourth line but can help on the pk. I was hoping could get Tanner Glass. I noticed in the play offs teams played their 4th line a lot.  I wonder if Kyle Clifford is a FA. He played exceptionally well in the play offs.  Need More size. 

He's an RFA next year.  Dwight King is an RFA now.  Either would be a nice bottom 6 addition, IF we could get them.

I hear there's this big kid out west who's looking for a home,  I  think his name was Westgarth? :P

Edited by LakeLivin

Mike Ribiero still out there?

Yes.

A couple teams showed interest and he was supposed to meet with agent, but he missed the bus and was a no-show for the meeting.

...oh, and I was wondering if you guys were talking about Mueller, ex of the Avalanche and Panthers. He wears #88 usually. He was great early on in his career and then had injury troubles. I believe he played in the World Championships for the USA this year. Seems like he always had the talent, but ran into some bad luck. I think there may have been some work ethic issues, etc., you never know. Still, it would be interesting to see him connected to us.

Since we still have a hole at right wing why not give  Aaron Palushaj a shot as we are giving BoychuK/Terry a shot? Aaron had good numbers last year and looked ok with his very brief stint with the canes.

Sorry, slapshot, I'm not following you. If Boston is showing interest in Mueller, how does that make him a great fit here? And, why do we think that our pursuit would be successful, if Boston wants him?

On another front, seeing where Patrick Eaves is signed with Dallas. Always thought he did well here and surely would have liked him back.

Sorry, slapshot, I'm not following you. If Boston is showing interest in Mueller, how does that make him a great fit here? And, why do we think that our pursuit would be successful, if Boston wants him?

On another front, seeing where Patrick Eaves is signed with Dallas. Always thought he did well here and surely would have liked him back.

Just responding to the earlier posts regarding Mueller. There was an article that Boston was showing interest in Mueller and that he could be a good fit if his injuries were behind him. I also felt that he would be a good fit here as he has good hockey sense and can serve as an assist man and scorer. Not stating that our pursuit would be successful,but if Ronnie wants to add another piece, Mueller might be a player he would want to pursue. 

Boston has $1.64m in cap space left with 5 spots to fill.  And that includes the need to re-sign RFA Reilly Smith, who I'd imagine will eat up most if not all of that money by himself. 

As others have mentioned, the sweet spot this season may be targeting some of those teams hard up against the salary cap.

He was the number 8 overall pick in the Jordan Staal draft in 2006.

He did have concussion issues, but what I can make out, he got into the NHL the year after his draft year  and put up one very good year w/ 54 points. The next year he dropped back to 36 in 72, still decent though for a very young guy. But the trend continued down, he was traded. However, he was still pretty young and actually started to make a nice comeback when he was rocked with the concussion. 

When he finally came back after long post concussion problems, he started well on Florida's top line, but trailed off on his offensive production and Florida let him go. He went to a Swiss club where he put up just under a PPG for 49 games. 

He's 26, "speedy" "smooth" with "good hands", 6'2" 209, and can help on the PP.

Do see the Bruins being listed on his radar but he would be a great guy to give a shot, especially at a lower price with lower expectations. 

Edited by remkin

46 pts in 49 games in the Swiss Elite League last year...not exactly NHL competition, but a point per game is a point per game. Definitely worth a look and at 6'2", 209, he fits right in with the new program...size but not sacrificing ability.

Mike Ribiero is a drunk or some kind of substance abuser and according to latest general manager needs to seek help.  No thanks.

The first part of my post was a joke, referring to Ribiero's behavioral problems. Most people probably aren't aware so...

Anyway, like you said, no thanks.

I hear there's this big kid out west who's looking for a home,  I  think his name was Westgarth? :P

Like to see him back. There is a 6'8" d-man in buffalo looking for a home. John Scott

Not even close to the truth. He could lose the heII out of a fight. Danm good effort tho. More than u could say for the rest of the crew.

Edited by Whattausay