The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I think I like what Ronnie has done so far, and Faulker, those lines look pretty good to me except it has often been said that Jordan and Skinner lack chemistry. Maybe swap out Nash and Jordan, or try Skinner with Eric.

I'm not overwhelmed by other teams throwing so much money around, especially on long-term contracts. $5 million plus for 5 years for Brooks Orpik? I predict 2 years from now Washington will regret that deal. And if Florida hasn't noticed, they committed $16 million over 4 years to Jussi who was essentially given to us, by Dallas, I think, and whom we paid to go to Pittsburgh. All in the last 5 years. Yes he had a couple of good seasons here, and put up about 60 points playing on Malkin's line. But I think he has to be in the right situation and have the right attitude to succeed (maybe the right attitude is not being coached by Kirk Muller). Not worth $4 million per in my opinion.

Now we really need a second pairing defenseman. If he can fill that role, maybe Bellemore's opinion of his worth is coming closer to reality. I loved Gleason in his prime, but I think 2 teams concluded his sell by date had expired last year, so I hope we have some better options in mind.

All these crazy, long-term contracts being handed over to defenseman makes me appreciate the Fleury pick even more.

I will curse if Corvo-Gleason is announced as a free agent signing.

That is all.

Edited by coastal_caniac

So, that rounds out our forwards. Where are we sitting in cap money and who is still available for D if we were to sign somebody currently on the market? I could check all that myself but not at the moment. Thanks in advance.

Just to agree with some of the above...

Like the McClement signing.

Again I like the Fleury pick. The draft is probably the only way we will ever get a high-end/elite defenseman.

I've said numerous times that I am a Bellemore fan, but I guess if the money isn't right.......Would like to know what he is looking for, financially speaking. Whatever the case, we still need to add a defenseman.

If Gleason comes back I'll lose my ******* mind.

If Corvo comes back, no one is safe!

Edited by Kyrule

My thoughts on Gleason being back: I never thought he was done as a very good defenseman. Heres what I think happened. Injuries,Muller, confidence all affected his game . If he comes back healthy, with a new coach and confidence than there is no reason he can't be in the top two pairings and back to old form. Timmy came in last year hurt trying to fight for a spot that was once his. That is not easy, he played like garbage and was traded swiftly. Lets give him a fair chance, he was a great player for us and had character and heart.

Welcome back Timmy G., heres to a fresh start and a chance to prove you still the man.

Edited by danimal-ch1

I really like the 1 year deals for Gleason, Tlusty, Boychuk, etc. It's good motivation for Tlusty and Boychuk and for guys like Gleason, it's a bridge to allow some younger players a chance to develop.

Well I wanted Vrbata, but he got paid and we didn't have that cash. Shows the value of cap space and good drafting. It might make the Jordan deal look better, but it really shows the value of drafting well.

Gleason. Well some of you saw that coming. 

I think the one year and the low rate make him a good low risk signing. He is being paid bottom pairing money. I think he'll be at least as good as Harrison or Bellemore. Playing lower minutes against lower caliber forwards. At best he finds some game and can be a great value. He's had a change of scenery and now is on a one year deal. 

Have to compare vs. what we would get at that money. 

We are, however, getting the band back together at this point. The band wasn't that great last year. Lets' hope that a new director makes it all work.

Attempted to post this from home and something happened. Just wanted to underscore what danimal posted earlier, and say that I have faith in Tim Gleason to bring back at least some of the attributes which endeared him to this fan base for so many years. In my opinion, he has something special which cannot be coached, and that's HEART. He was a standup type of player, ready to jump into any situation where he felt his teammate being abused. Not sure when or why this changed, but always thought he lost some enthusiasm during his later years here, possibly when directed to change his physically "risky" play by the powers that be(ie Muller or higher up). I anticipate him coming back with the proverbial "chip on his shoulder" type of play. Not sure whether this is realistic or romantic fantasy on my part, but we will see.

Another part of my previous unposted comment was to ask you out there something that I am unsure of. Since we appear to be experiencing Cap Issues, actual or internal, what happens, if say for instance this UFA (?) Peter Muellar, rumored to possibly be invited by us for a PTO, comes in and absolutely blows the socks off our coaching staff. Is their still any latitude to sign him, or do we suddenly have to trade someone? I am aware that a team has a brief period to get below the cap at the beginning of the season, but then what? Just a thought.