The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

This will not be popular but I would say no to bringing back Brandon Sutter. He only had 26 points this year I believe and I think he was a -9 on a very good team. I know he is a third line center but still...

I was never a fan but I'm probably in the minority. I just never saw the grit and hustle that is supposed to come with the "Sutter" name.

I also have concerns about bringing back Gerbe and Loktionov. We are already smallish and soft. Those guys played with effort this year but there is no denying that they lose a lot of battles along the boards/get pushed off the puck easily. They along with Dwyer would mean more of the same. I like all of them as players, but having all of them upsets team balance in my opinion.

We need to get more physical along the boards and on the forecheck. We need to win more board battles and maintain possession of the puck.

It's a tough situation but something has to give/adjustments need to be made IMO.

I hear you loud and clear, Krule, and to some extent agree. Just am having a very hard time giving up on either, particularly Gerbs.

Faulk Staal may be great in take aways but he losses the puck shortly there after. Or he gets checked and takes 20 seconds to get up. We all have seen this.

I am SHOCKED and appalled that some of you once again are defending Muller based on "injuries". We had a high salary team and a re built blue line. Muller could not get this team to the post season. Like many of you stated all he needed was a "pre-season training camp" well he had that and look at what happened.

What's next? Does he need one injury free season full of players that are 100% in order to be successful? Is that the next concept? 1 more season just one more? Mark my words: if he is coach next season we are missing the playoffs.

"Shocked and appalled",sorry to interject reality of injuries to key players. Does "high salary team" equate to healthy? Just what part of injured doesn't compute? While you,bluedevil, are absolutely correct that Muller did have a full pre-season training camp, if reports of injuries are correct, how is a coach expected to fully evaluate and implement a system if players are dealing with psychological and physical pain?

And no, I don't suggest that he "needs one injury free season full of players that are 100%", but it would be great if he could just start that way. i believe that he should be on a very SHORT leash, and if still trending downward, than the plug needs to be pulled.

I'm trying to really get my mind around the idea of getting bigger and grittier. 

I really don't want to let Gerbe go. He was #182 in forwards for scoring, which would make him elite as a third line scorer and that was not his best year ever. If you want a scoring third line, getting 30 plus points from a third liner gets it done.

I think if you could get Tlusty for a nice price, that he would be a solid player with off the charts upside. The guy was on a 40 goal pace last year, and can finish, a real need for a lot of teams. 

If one assumes the big names stay:

Eric, Jordan, Semin, Skinner, Lindholm then add Tlusty and Gerbe. One slot left in the top 9. And I really like what Lotkionov has brought, especially on the PP. All of the sudden you haven't changed the top 9, and there's still Dwyer. 

Tlusty just brings too much potential to let walk..

If we really want to get bigger, and assuming Skinner isn't going anywhere we really almost have to let Gerbe go. And I don't mean just what he does to the average height. I just mean if you want to get any size and grit into the top 9 and keep Tlusty....

It would seem easier to get some size on the 4th line. Bowman? Really? But there is a lot of love for Dwyer and Manny, and all of the sudden we have the same team. 

Can't just replace Bowman with a big guy and call it a day. 

I completely agree this team needs grit and tenacity on the boards and in front of the net. Maybe two key free agents or guys traded for can be enough. Draft a power forward...but he won't add much for a year or two...

Drafting a Power Forward would be nice but won't help in the short term. I think we need to go shopping. A power forward on either of the Staal lines would make a big difference. When Tlusty and Semin skated for a brief time on J's line it became a scoring line. But that exposed the lack of scoring depth on the top line. I think Tlusty and Semin stay with E and we beef up J's line.

I really like the Skins-Nash-Lindholm line but then what do you do with Loktionov. Loktionov sparked our Power Play. He shows promise. Do you move Lindy to center? I like Nash but he would be a waste on the 4th line. If you get a power forward for J and move Loktionov up where does Gerbe go?

I think Sutter could jump up from Charlotte and join Manny and Dwyer and give us a decent 4th line with the ability to contribute to scoring. 

But the key is to get a Power Forward. I think!

Drafting a Power Forward would be nice but won't help in the short term. I think we need to go shopping. A power forward on either of the Staal lines would make a big difference. When Tlusty and Semin skated for a brief time on J's line it became a scoring line. But that exposed the lack of scoring depth on the top line. I think Tlusty and Semin stay with E and we beef up J's line.

I really like the Skins-Nash-Lindholm line but then what do you do with Loktionov. Loktionov sparked our Power Play. He shows promise. Do you move Lindy to center? I like Nash but he would be a waste on the 4th line. If you get a power forward for J and move Loktionov up where does Gerbe go?

I think Sutter could jump up from Charlotte and join Manny and Dwyer and give us a decent 4th line with the ability to contribute to scoring.

But the key is to get a Power Forward. I think!

And that power forward'a name just might be Brock McGinn. We are not making lots of changes and if he continues to improve, Nash, Lindholm, Skinner might be the 2d line next year, with a healthy Eric being that other power forward on the wing.

And that power forward'a name just might be Brock McGinn. We are not making lots of changes and if he continues to improve, Nash, Lindholm, Skinner might be the 2d line next year, with a healthy Eric being that other power forward on the wing.

Putting the Staals together is always an option. I was thinking more of a veteran Power Forward then McGinn. If you move Staals together and promote Skins/Nash/Lindy line to 2nd line you really aren't very strong down the middle. Who becomes your 3rd line?

Putting the Staals together is always an option. I was thinking more of a veteran Power Forward then McGinn. If you move Staals together and promote Skins/Nash/Lindy line to 2nd line you really aren't very strong down the middle. Who becomes your 3rd line?

Loktionov centering McGinn or a FA and Tlusty

Loktionov centering McGinn or a FA and Tlusty

All options on the table, I suppose. I don't know so I'm just wondering and watching.

That's the thing...

There are people who like Gerbe.

There are people who like Loktionov.

There are people who like Nash.

There are people who like Malhotra.

There are people who like Dwyer.

And so on...

There are people who like Ward.

There are people who like Muller.

Under "what is this team's biggest problem", the defense didn't get a single vote.

Didn't everyone just blow up at PK for saying we need "tweaks?"

I still think we need to make quite a few changes up front, and I think we need to move Ward's contract. I think the coaching staff needs to be changed. That might mean a lot of unhappy people, but I really don't want to see the same team as last year with a few tweaks. I want to try to build a consistent contender, not a team that might grab the last playoff spot. Even if there is risk involved, I want to see some real changes and accountability moving forward.

We need to be adding more depth to the team if we're not going to rebuild.  By taking away guys that can score because they lack size is counter-productive.  That's the same logic our management has been using over the years, taking away one aspect of the game for the other.  Gerbe was our toughest forward this season.  I look at that as a good thing.  Like someone said, if you need 3 scoring line, why take away a solid 30-40pt player?

We need depth.  Depth, depth depth!  That's why teams that are on the bubble always make the playoffs over us.  That's what got Detroit & Montreal in the playoffs.  We need to be a team that goes after the top FA's during the summer.  

Players I'd Keep, in the scenario we're not rebuilding........

Eric

Jordan

Skinner

Semin

Tlusty

Gerbe

Lindholm

Loktionov

Sekera

Faulk

Khudobin

Depending on who signs extensions with their current teams, this offseason is a good summer for adding depth players.

This will not be popular but I would say no to bringing back Brandon Sutter. He only had 26 points this year I believe and I think he was a -9 on a very good team. I know he is a third line center but still...

I agree...but the Jussi trade still irks me.  Not so much that he put up really decent numbers this year, but the fact that we're still PAYING HIM to put up those decent numbers.  Same goes with Ruu.

At what point is Muller held accountable for Jussi and Ruutu? More so Jussi. That was a great player with a great contract that we gave up. We claim he didn't fit the system causing a lack of production.

But then we have Eric, Jordan, and Semin now doing the same thing. Do they not fit the system either causing a lack of production? Are you not seeing a pattern here?

At what point is Muller held accountable for Jussi and Ruutu? More so Jussi. That was a great player with a great contract that we gave up. We claim he didn't fit the system causing a lack of production.

But then we have Eric, Jordan, and Semin now doing the same thing. Do they not fit the system either causing a lack of production? Are you not seeing a pattern here?

I've said it time and time again, theres no way E.STaal,J.Staal,Semin,Tlusty,Ruutu,Jussi all just lost their skills and forgot how to play and coincidentally all had way below average seasons.   Its gotta be the coaching thats not working.  I don't know why Muller is so loved and belived in, 3 garbage seasons in a row is enough for me.   MO and Lavi only got to have 1 and 1/4 garbage seasons before they were fired but Muller might get a 4th chance??

Edited by danimal-ch1

OBXer, to me this is the exact reason that the NHL policy of obscuring injuries is unfair to the players and their fans!! Think how much venomous angst has been bantered around thru this entire season on this and countless other web sites toward this one player. Everyone, and I include myself in this criticism, has called for Eric's head at one time or another this frustrating year.

As reactionary tendencies mount, management surely hears, and likely buys into the wave. The upshot is that a great player, playing likely injuried, could be traded away only to regain his form.

I ask, had we as fans known of the extent of Eric's injury, would we have been so quick to insist on his trade?

So why not explain the injury and let him sit while he rehabs. Better than dragging the team and fans through this.

I wonder if we will get a clue on some of the things that went on behind locker room doors this season and what might happen moving forward.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 30m

We'll have full video & written coverage of today's proceedings on CHdotcom. Tomorrow, look for a live stream of Muller's presser.

For a small market team I have to hand it to the Canes staff for making this sort of thing available.

Here's a good one.

John AND Tripp to call games 1,2 & 4 of the COL-MN series on NBCSN.

I'm actually looking forward to it. Good for Tripp.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 3m

Asked EStaal if he could conceive of playing for a team other than Canes. He said wanted to be on a playoff team. Wants that to be Canes.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 35m

Cam Ward: "I want to be here." Said he and his family consider Raleigh his home.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 2m

My gist of Staal's comments was that everything is on the table with the Canes this offseason. Trading Staal has been unthinkable in past.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 1m

Nathan Gerbe and Jiri Tlusty turned down World Championship invites. Both are free agents.

Not that injuries are an excuse but so far we have learned That Sekera was playing through injury that required surgery, Semin needed wrist surgery, Tlusty has a bum shoulder that needs to heal and E may have not been fully recovered from his knee injury.

We really need to build our depth in Charlotte IMO

Anyone heard this speculation:

Mark Seidel ‏@MarkSeidel 12m

DT: The rumours of Mike Velucci going to Carolina won’t stop. With big changes coming to the Canes, Velucci may get a big-time promotion!

Mark Seidel ‏@MarkSeidel 3h

Just to clarify about @mike_vellucci going to Carolina, I think it'll be as the Asst. GM! He is a helluva coach but he might be a better GM!

Don't know who this guy is or if there is anything to it.

Anyone heard this speculation:

Don't know who this guy is or if there is anything to it.

Plymouth Whalers head coach.  If anything I hope that he is hired to replace Daniels.  Otherwise we're in big trouble.