The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Right now we've got $5.9m in cap space for 3 spots.  If Boychuk and Terry make the roster that leaves us with $4.7m for the last spot.  But that's cap space. 

If PK goes with last years cap, we've got $1.2 left, and the 2 AHLers would put us right at that number. 

In PKs last interview he did say that we had cap room for another piece if we needed to add one, so if someone like Mueller looks good I HOPE PK would spring for him.

$1.2 Million for a guy willing to drop the gloves for his teammates, has historically been pretty solid defensively and was willing to play most of a season on a broken foot? Yeah I'll take that deal. At worst we have Tim Gleason, a former top pairing guy here sitting in the bottom 4, that's not bad.

Vrbata deal was insane. He's not that good. Gleason deal is great for the $'s spent. I'm confident he can be a bottom pair and his leadership is needed in the locker room. 

And I bet Gleason had issue w/ Muller. Some may have been deserved, but Gleason was not a happy camper at the end.

I am purely speculating, as is my want, but I'm just thinking Gleason enjoys playing for Peter more. Just both seem to be more in the no nonsense category.

So we have a defense of:

Sekera/Faulk

Hainsey/JML

Murphy/Gleason

Not necessarily that order. 

It is far from the most amazing defense in the NHL, but despite a pretty bad year for the team last year, 

I know that there is not a lot of mad love for JML, but he does have the potential of helping on the PP (he had 40 assists a few years ago), and over 35 games he was #1 on the team in plus minus by a decent amount. And my read of his advanced stats put him pretty even w/ Hainsey, but more offense. 

Speaking of advanced stats, here's an unrelated fun fact: Jeff Skinner was #10 in the league at drawing penalties vs. taking them.

Anyway, while we slid back a little towards the end, we did still manage the middle third on defense in goals allowed, way up from second to last, with essentially this same group. If Peters and our new D coach can improve this and improve our puck possession, this group can be in the upper part of the middle third in defense next year.

If our forwards find their game that would be enough. Not the best, but enough.

Also, I'm expecting much bigger things from Murphy this year. Not size wise, but overall and especially offensively and PP.

Edited by remkin

Vrbata deal was insane. He's not that good. Gleason deal is great for the $'s spent. I'm confident he can be a bottom pair and his leadership is needed in the locker room. 

I wonder what Bellmore did to not get resigned.  Ask for Orpik level cash? Insult Francis' dog?

Remkin:   Where is Harrison in your defense lineup ?

Number 7.

Harry had a pretty rough year from my perspective and Gleason makes him the #7 dman/press box guy for me.

I really have Murphy makign the team, and that pushes him to #7.

Now I wlll say this. Our depth after Harrison is waffer-thin. And there will be injuries and illness, so we do need him there at this point.

The way I see the D in terms of "grit" is that Harry and Tim will both defend teammates---as

will Hainsey (especially when someone messes with his goalie.)  The others are the more mobile

ones.

So the D might be marginal----but it is balanced. Not deep---but balanced. I think we need

one more experienced D on a two way in Charlotte, as injury prone as we seem to be.

Like everyone, I get energized by the free agent fantasy.  It's tempting to get pulled into the feeding frenzy and I'm glad Mr. Francis didn't bite.  There aren't many deals that appear to me to be deals this team would have/should have done, except maybe Brad Richards.  And he wasn't coming here for the money the Blackhawks offered because that team is an obvious contender.  The Hurricanes aren't contenders until they prove otherwise.

Sometimes the best changes are the ones you don't make.  I'm satisfied as a fan to see how all this pans out.  If it is unsuccessful then we are one year closer to a rebuild, and 2015 is a pretty good year to be a lottery team.  By 2016 some large contracts come off the books and the team could be very well positioned for a quick rebuild.

I'll take what's going on here over the train wreck that is the Florida Panthers.  All that free agent spending and what has that team achieved?  I think as fans we're going to appreciate Francis's thoughtful approach to managing this team and fostering a culture that breeds success.  At least my curiosity is piqued; it will be fun to watch and see whether he can accomplish what he's trying to accomplish culturally.

Pamlico, contracts being handed out this week were for insane money or way too long. I think we were wise to steer clear, and we did not have cap space to get involved with the big name players anyway. For the price, I think Gleason was well worth it. He will drop the gloves and actually win fights, and I think injuries had a lot to do with his falloff last year. With lower expectations, I'm excited about what he could bring to the table.

Waiting for Bellemore to sign a two-way contract.

Like everyone, I get energized by the free agent fantasy.  It's tempting to get pulled into the feeding frenzy and I'm glad Mr. Francis didn't bite.  There aren't many deals that appear to me to be deals this team would have/should have done, except maybe Brad Richards.  And he wasn't coming here for the money the Blackhawks offered because that team is an obvious contender.  The Hurricanes aren't contenders until they prove otherwise.

Sometimes the best changes are the ones you don't make.  I'm satisfied as a fan to see how all this pans out.  If it is unsuccessful then we are one year closer to a rebuild, and 2015 is a pretty good year to be a lottery team.  By 2016 some large contracts come off the books and the team could be very well positioned for a quick rebuild.

I'll take what's going on here over the train wreck that is the Florida Panthers.  All that free agent spending and what has that team achieved?  I think as fans we're going to appreciate Francis's thoughtful approach to managing this team and fostering a culture that breeds success.  At least my curiosity is piqued; it will be fun to watch and see whether he can accomplish what he's trying to accomplish culturally.

If we could get a top 6 RW from somebody who's over or at the cap, we could have a chance.  Worst case, we tread water for 2 years, then we make some smart moves when the bigger contracts come off the books.

Is it just me, or are we paying huge AHL salaries this year? I can't remember a time when we were giving out $200,000-300,000 AHL deals. What gives?

Edited by cclifford10

I think Liles will be the #7 D-man. Harrison will be on the third pair.

Certainly could be right. But looking at stats and advanced stats and my eyeballs, despite JML being far from elite, he was consistantly better than Harrison. I've been a fan of Harrison as a nice success story and a character guy maxing his potential and filling the 5-6 slot at a reasonable price. But last year was a notable dropoff for a boarderline guy. If he can come back and play a bit better...

But he was putting up pretty bad numbers and not looking great doing it, and not against the other team's best.

Harrison's game took a nose dive last season from serviceable on the bottom pairing to terrible.  I really hope there is no way we ice a Harrison-Gleason pairing.

Liles isn't anything to write home to momma about either, but he's certainly better than Harrison or Gleason.

It appears problematic to me. Since we haven't seen the "new defensive system" it is difficult to judge. Since we have heard we want our defensive to be more active, join the rush, move the puck, etc we just could see Liles and Murphy in the same line-up. If that is the case I suspect Harry would be odd man out.

The thing is everywhere you look we have players coming off injuries or a bad year. Harrison is no different. I'm not suggesting Harrison should get a pass. He is going to need to prove he can play his role. But when he is on he is fairly reliable, can add a little offense and has a little toughness.

If we had gone out and got a top pairing D-man we wouldn't be having this discussion. But we didn't so as a # 6 defenseman I think Harry is the best option.  I suspect Gleason will be slotted in the 2nd pairing with Hainsey. I am not saying that is the right decision but I don't see the alternative.  If Gleason skated bottom pairing I suspect someone will be traded and it could be Harry.

Okay all:

The brass must be reading our boards. Lengthy article (with pics) today on front page of sports section of the N&O called
Playoff Ready? A Closer Inspection  "Canes believe they have the pieces to end the postseason drought"

RF and PK are both quoted. (cant find article online, so will try to hit the high spots)

PK says he believes a new system, new coaching staff, a healthier team, and continued development of young players will

equal more wins.

RF "We didn't think it was necessary to kind of blow everything up. We have a lot of good pieces--but when you don't make

playoffs, everyone wants to see change" he said he got a "fresh opinion" on the players from the new coach and new mgmt.

staff. The coach loves our group of forwards and thinks they can do more in the goal scoring department. (more is expected

of Jordan and Lindholm will get better and better). On the back end RF thinks Liles has more to bring and he looks for a

bounce back year from Harry. Murphy can help on the PP but needs to get stronger in the D zone. Both goalies have the

ability to be elite players when healthy--hope is for a competitive give and take between the two.

The Papers conclusion:

" A lot of things will need to go right--a strong season from Eric, another from Sekera, and Ward being Ward again.

A lot will be ask of Bill Peters, who needs to get the right players in the right spots-----and have the right system in

place."   :)

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Okay all: The brass must be reading our boards. Lengthy article today on front page of sports section of the N&O calledPlayoff Ready? A Closer Inspection  "Canes believe they have the pieces to end the postseason drought"

RF and PK are both quoted. (cant find article online, so will try to hit the high spots)

PK says he believes a new system, new coaching staff, a healthier team, and continued development of young players will

equal more wins.

RF "We didn't think it was necessary to kind of blow everything up. We have a lot of good pieces--but when you don't make

playoffs, everyone wants to see change" he said he got a "fresh opinion" on the players from the new coach and new mgmt.

staff. The coach loves our group of forwards and thinks they can do more in the goal scoring department. (more is expected

of Jordan and Lindholm will get better and better). On the back end RF thinks Liles has more to bring and he looks for a

bounce back year from Harry. Murphy can help on the PP but needs to get stronger in the D zone. Both goalies have the

ability to be elite players when healthy--hope is for a competitive give and take between the two.

The Papers conclusion:

" A lot of things will need to go right--a strong season from Eric, another from Sekera, and Ward being Ward again.

A lot will be ask of Bill Peters, who needs to get the right players in the right spots-----and have the right system in

place."   :)

I read the article. The in between the lines are we considered blowing up, our new to make the playoffs is the coach, and if the team doesnt make the playoffs we could see a blow up this season.

It also says we wont be doing anything crazy this offseason with the forwards. I find it odd RF only mentions how Peters is happy with the forwards. Do we see changes in the goalies or D? Sounds like there is a want but not a way.

So were all our guys at a low point last year?  If they all hit a high point this year, it is Stanley Cup time, baby!