The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Yep---no pressure on the new coach ! ? ! :shakeshead:

Article obviously written to try to shore up the fan support. But I thought it was a straight forward

picture of where we are right now.    (and what we have all been saying) 

ESPN... not impressed. 

"A bad team from a year ago has done nothing to make itself better (and sorry, with all due respect to Tim Gleason, repatriating the veteran defenseman as well as forward Jiri Tlusty don't count)."

Power Ranking: 30 (of 30)

ESPN... not impressed. 

"A bad team from a year ago has done nothing to make itself better (and sorry, with all due respect to Tim Gleason, repatriating the veteran defenseman as well as forward Jiri Tlusty don't count)."

Yahoo isn't either... "The Hurricanes' big addition this weekend was a two-way AHL center. This is a team that's going to be very close to the bottom of the East."

ESPN... not impressed.

That's ok, I'm not impressed with ESPN, in fact, they should stick to spelling bee and billiards coverage and stay out of hockey all together. We all know about their interest in our beloved sport and their bias against our team. I boycott them.

I fully expect us to be in the running for the 5th overall pick this year.  Hey at least I won't be upset because I do not have very high expectations.  Our 3rd line looks horrible.  The year we were "somewhat" good for a little while we also had Jokinen and Ruutu.  Now we have neither.  We have gotten a lot weaker in the forward department.

Edited by bluedevil58

Nowhere to go but up from that projection. Though one more year of futility for Conner McDavid? Hmmmmm...

Believe it or not, I share the concern. 

However, ESPN is doing the same thing that just about every media outlet does, and they all did last year: Look at how the team did last year, look at new additions and subtractions = finish next year. There is some merit to that, but it's also a bit thin. Of course they're projecting 30 teams, don't have all day to get at it, and we are low on all media's radar, but not much thought to it.

This is what they did last year. And I thought they were missing all of the injuries from the lockout and J. w/ the new contract new environment thing, and getting Ruutu back....the logic for them missing a much better team was there....except, in the end it played out the way they predicted, so the pessimists have the upper hand, and could well be the realists. 

I am concerned that we did not pick up one more piece up front. We will finally, it appears, look to our youth to fill the spot. Lord knows Boychuk should get a real look. But that is a risk. He is not proven. 

That said, it is not going to come down to Boychuk. It is going to come down to one more pull on the starter rope for this core, and improvements from more proven commodities: Lindholm, and Murphy prime amoung them. 

The success thesis, not obvious to some, is this: this core is actually talented, and capable of winning. But for some reason they just can't get it together consistently. A generally healthier version with a better coach and GM backing his Hammer, will tighten the band up, and my original thesis from last year, not so obvious back then will be proven correct. 

OR

The failure thesis. Obvious to most. This core just lacks the heart and cohesiveness to put it's talent together and no coach will be able to make that happen with this group.

Clearly, the obvious to almost everyone is that second statement being true. 

I would not bet the house on that being wrong, but it would not surprise me if a lot of people end up surprised with the success.

Success would almost have to mean the the coach and his system were a big part of the failure:

Evidence that the coach may have been a big part of the problem: 

The team failed as a team. Really only a few guys shined. Even Skinner really only came on late. Several key guys had practical career worst years, including the main man. E. took and deserved blame, but it is possible that the E. - Muller relationship soured, and with the team losing and E. taking the blame, well with a new coach E. could be reinvigorated. 

Special teams. All the despair and ESPN rankings, and if this team had a slightly above average PP, and we'd have been in the hunt. This very team with that very coach and captain and the off years and goalie injuries, etc. and a decent PP changes everything. ESPN probably neglected to account for that. 

Ward. Yes, it could be limited to Ward himself, but his "no comment" comment was telling.

Gleason. Yes, Gleason really saw his career decline under Muller. Not fair to blame it on Muller, but Gleason was clearly a very unhappy camper here under Muller. Would he come back if he didn't think things would be different? Maybe if his options were thin, but I suspect that he would not have come back if Muller were here.

Jussi. Again, the player began to mope and not play well, but that's another guy under Muller's leadership. I think we can all agree that Muller really botched the Jussi thing. Well  that let a 60 point guy walk for nothing.

I'm not going out on an Island and making bold predictions yet. Mainly because the body of work has shown that this core has not gotten it done consistently. There have been stretches, but every team has stretches. 

But it is possible that the new coach and a new GM, brining a fresh start, and a new system could get more out of this same crew. 

To me the biggest issue, so far unresolved is why will this year's PP be any different? Still, last years' PP, when the coach, to his credit, tried a PP with the Staals not on the first unit, and with Loktionov (not here now) on it, did look better at the end of the year....

Our schedule has a MUCH softer start this year, with a well timed Western "team building" road trip after a few games in, and against the softer side of the West, and another run mostly at home that (outside of LA), is  very winnable: The first 13 games will tell the tale because after that it gets tougher. Even LA, post cup hangover, not a regular season monster, is winnable.

If this team is floundering 13 games in...blow it up. 

If this team goes on a nice run to start the season and shows a decent PP and goaltending....could surprise a few people.

Edited by remkin

Rem, I always like your analysis.  However, count me among the pessimists.  I feel this team needs to prove something until I can fully believe we will make the playoffs, which in my opinion is still going to be a couple of years away.  There have been too many variables as to why this current team has been unsuccessful...injuries, system, coaching, heart, big names not producing, etc.  It really is hard to pinpoint the exact cause to our woes.  With Peters being hired, the Canes think they may have solved a big part of the issue, and I hope so as well.  But I feel we won't know for sure until late in the next season.  Best case scenario, everyone buys in and plays to potential, and we make a serious run at the playoffs this coming season.  Worst case, everything falls apart and, I agree, blow up the team.  Truth is, I'm not expecting major gains this season, but if I see just any sign of progress, I'll be happy.

I will say this. The case for this team was better last offseason than this offseason. Coming off a lockout year, the excuses were valid to me, and shoring up the defense should have been enough, and we did do that. And yet, despite a short dominating run, the team just did not get it done over the duration. The schedule was brutal, but the result is the result.

So we have seen a full season, with a full training camp, where this core was not ultimately up to the challenge. We will go into next year with that same core. Unlike the lockout year, where we were relying on our third string goalie and a half AHL defense for stretches, last year does not come with as many explanations. Semin's wrist. E.'s knee. Skinner's concussion. Lindholm's shoulder and 18 year oldness. But really, it comes down to Muller and E. 

For this to work this year, that had to be the problem and Peters has to fix it. If that was not the problem, we are done, because as ESPN and soon every single hockey publication will point out, we have not made ourselves clearly better this offseason. So the improvement has to come from within. 

I'm not as confident this time, but it is still possible that if Francis and Peters can fix the PP, and get this core firing on all cylinders and back to career averages or better, and if Lindholm and Murphy are ready to take major steps forward, that this team could be better than anyone thinks. 

Surely it would be better if we could have added a big piece. Still could happen though. If part way in Cam is playing well and a key goalie goes down on another team, maybe a deal can happen...maybe Francis finds a guy unheralded, Heatly...Mueller, maybe Boychuk steps up and helps, especially on the PP. Maybe Murphy is ready to be an elite PP quarterback...

Like I said in my first foray into this. There are a lot of ifs... so I get the pessimism. 

But if E finds his game and if Tlusty does and if Semin does...then Linholm steps up...Murphy steps up on the PP.....J. puts in a few more...if Peters gets more out of the group and fixes the PP, and teaches some puck possession....

This is not a team devoid of talent. 

Edited by remkin

I remember several writers, including DeCock, saying we would finish dead last in 2005-06 so I will wait to see some games before I dismiss the season.  In that off season we added Whitney and Stillman.  In response, DeCock wrote something to the effect that at least we should be bad enough to compete for Kessel in the draft.

Those guys that write that stuff don't know squat about the team, they just look at the roster.  But, still.......

For the past 5 seasons I have bemoaned the lack of defense going into each of those seasons.  Each season my fears were realized, as we ended up in the bottom tier of the league in most every defensive statistic. 

This one doesn't look to be much different when the inevitable injuries occur, and we find ourselves with our pants around our knees wondering where the "depth" is.

I'm really hoping Peters can work miracles but you still have to have guys that can gain possession and move the puck to the other end of the ice.  We really suck at that, and it's essentially the same group back there.  If Murphy still isn't ready, then we could be in trouble again.

I'm not putting my hopes on the backs of Faulk-Sekera and Hainsey.

Edited by coastal_caniac

and maybe RF has his eye on a player to sign that will bring some improvement to our back end.  I hope so because coastal has made a pretty credible argument as it pertains to our defense.  And there is not much in Charlotte to call up for relief at this point. 

I'm with coastal on the lack of defense and the continuing issue there.  Add to that the issue Rem recently mentioned in the inept power play and you are drafting high year after year.  If coaching can't fix those issues, what roster changes have been made to help those two problems?  I don't think a couple of 4th liners is going to affect those issues.  I don't think bringing back Gleason (who, say what you want, was part of the problem) is going to help those issues.  These issues have been around for 3 different coaching staffs now.  Is the 4th one the charm?

Not being negative, just a dose of reality.  The ice is down at the PNC Arena and I look forward to seeing the boys at training camp.  I'll be as pleasantly surprised as anyone if the Canes have a competitive season. 

Food for thought:  McClement was considered on of the finalist for the Selke not too long ago.  He is more than just a 4th liner.  He is a premiere defensive center.

I'm already taking the condemned signs down off of my Remkin Island residence. I'm not 100% sold on the state of the team so far, but I like to get on board with the fact that anything can happen in sports. So I'm still optimistic. 

Today is Haydn Fleury's birthday. No, I don't keep track of all of our player's birthdays, but I do find it a major plus that this guy is only just turning 18. I think mid September is cut-off day, so there are younger guys, but most are older and some almost a year older. 

While it does mean he's likely 2-3 years away from helping us, it also means he was the consensus #2 D man in a draft where the vast majority of his peers were  older than him. 

Edited by remkin

I'm extremely optimistic about this season.  I do realize everything could go completely opposite than what I'm thinking(hoping), but I could easily see this happening.

E. Staal bounces back and puts up 90points

Jordan dominates and puts up 50points

Semin and Skinner both score over 30goals

Tlusty bounces back and puts up 25goals

Wardo takes back his #1 spot and shows everyone he's not done and we have best goalie tandem in league.

We love our two new 3rd/4th liners because they are big and hit and bring character and size to those lines.

Our defense and goal tending is solid enough that we win a lot of games.

Oh and Boychuck suprises us all and puts up 20plus goals.

A man can dream can't he, but.........this could easily happen.

I'm extremely optimistic about this season.  I do realize everything could go completely opposite than what I'm thinking(hoping), but I could easily see this happening.

Wardo takes back his #1 spot and shows everyone he's not done and we have best goalie tandem in league.

We love our two new 3rd/4th liners because they are big and hit and bring character and size to those lines.

Need to talk to you about an amazing real estate opportunity! It's on an Island, mostly shuttered at this point, but there are a few lots left!

Add to your list Lindholm contributing at a higher level. 

I look back on the post lockout Anaheim Ducks. They finished very similar in standings as we did this past season. It was speculated if the Ducks were going to trade soon to be free agents Perry and Getzlaf, after trading away Bobby Ryan for picks and prospects. They looked like they were in rebuild mode. They took virtually the same team in the next season except a few role players. The only thing different was a full season with recently hired Bruce Brudreau. Since then, they've finished top of the league every season, and IMO, the odds on favorite to win it all next season.

Drunk at 10 AM? 

Need to talk to you about an amazing real estate opportunity! It's on an Island, mostly shuttered at this point, but there are a few lots left!

Add to your list Lindholm contributing at a higher level. 

I will be looking to possibly make a purchase around thanksgiving, not a 100% sold, its all up to these guys playing to their potential and at least putting up career averages.  Not to much to ask from guys getting paid millions to play a game so it should get done, especially with the new feeling around the locker room of a  new coach, and GM and nobodys job or value being safe.

If there was a year where we're going to do well this would be it.  We are projected to suck.  Leave it to the Canes to shock us all and exceed expectations when there are none.

I think we all agree, even the players probably agree that if we don't make playoffs this year than the core is getting completely dismanteled from the Staals to Semin to Tlusty, maybe even Skinner, and the entire defense,   There should really be a lot of motivation in that locker room unless everyone hates new coach and just wants out(worst case scenario for this franchise for2014,15season). Last chance for Staals, Ward, Skinner, Semin, etc..... to be the heroes of Raleigh which is what they all want.