The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Not much chatter going on pertaining to it, and presume the topic fits in here, but wonder when a new goal tending coach comes on board? I know it's not critical, but wouldn't one surmise that if the Canes are grooming Cam for a possible trade, or to recapture his #1 spot, shouldn't the guy be identified?

Blackhawks are now 2mil plus over the cap...Bickell, Versteeg, Oduya??? All are within our space. So is Sharp, but just barely.

Bruins are pretty cap-strapped as well. But we couldn't just cherry pick a player from either of them.  It would require the team agreeing to a trade. And the 'Hawks will ultimately decide how they're going to get down to the cap, not an outside team.

That, as compared to picking up someone like Booth, Setoguchi, or Mueller (if he's headed back to the NHL).  I wonder what Setoguchi is looking for?  I wouldn't touch him for anywhere near the $3.25m he made last year. . .

Blackhawks are now 2mil plus over the cap...Bickell, Versteeg, Oduya??? All are within our space. So is Sharp, but just barely.

Bickell r Versteeg would be a good fit, but leaning toward Bickell

Bruins are pretty cap-strapped as well. But we couldn't just cherry pick a player from either of them.  It would require the team agreeing to a trade. And the 'Hawks will ultimately decide how they're going to get down to the cap, not an outside team.

That, as compared to picking up someone like Booth, Setoguchi, or Mueller (if he's headed back to the NHL).  I wonder what Setoguchi is looking for?  I wouldn't touch him for anywhere near the $3.25m he made last year. . .

The highest RF should go on Setoguchi is $2.25m. 

After some searching to try and find out what to expect from Bill Peters I came across this.  I think this is probably the philosophy he's bringing to the table. 

http://oilersnation.com/2013/4/2/mike-babcock-if-you-coach-be-prepared

What tweaked my interest about the article when I found it was the headline.  Mike Babcock - "Be Prepared".  Sounds like Peters knocked that part out of the park on his two interviews, according to comments directly from RF.

There's a lot of stuff that doesn't apply, so sorry, but if you take the time maybe I'm not wasting a post.

Really looking forward to training camp.  It's going to be shiny and new.  Between that time and the trade deadline, there are lots of guys out to prove something, irregardless of salary.

Edited by coastal_caniac

After some searching to try and find out what to expect from Bill Peters I came across this.  I think this is probably the philosophy he's bringing to the table. 

What impressed me about the article when I found it was the headline.  "Be Prepared".  Sounds like Peters knocked that part out of the park on his two interviews, according to comments directly from RF.

Really looking forward to training camp.  It's going to be shiny and new.  Between that time and the trade deadline, lot's of guys out to prove something, irregardless of salary.

:thumbsup: Great article!!

Need to talk to you about an amazing real estate opportunity! It's on an Island, mostly shuttered at this point, but there are a few lots left!

Add to your list Lindholm contributing at a higher level. 

I never sold my property, but I'll wait till January before I think about opening the house up.

What tweaked my interest about the article when I found it was the headline.  Mike Babcock - "Be Prepared".  Sounds like Peters knocked that part out of the park on his two interviews, according to comments directly from RF.

There's a lot of stuff that doesn't apply, so sorry, but if you take the time maybe I'm not wasting a post.

Really looking forward to training camp.  It's going to be shiny and new.  Between that time and the trade deadline, there are lots of guys out to prove something, irregardless of salary.

Thanks for the link.

"Game Management" - you'd think it would be a given for measuring a coach.  In game adjustments, game planning of line matchups, you name it.  Whether analytic with Stats, or great gut feel, a coach has to have it.

I'm hoping that this single aspect from Peters makes the Canes competitive this year.  Muller was a total failure in this regard, where being a nice guy, players coach, good communicator, etc could not overcome that single flaw.

Edited by Manwolf

Just taking that thought a step further Manwolf, in the article Babcock says that the players, even in Junior hockey, cared most that the coach knew what was going on in the game and could manage it. If Muller was bad at this night in and night out the players would know it, and over time it would affect the team. Not saying that's what happened, but if it was, and if Peters is better, that could have a more dramatic impact than we think.

You may be on to something, but without that being my original point or intent.

I was critical of Muller's line matchups and particularly in a couple of games that slipped away in the final few shifts. Now as a fan I was very agitated, and said so publicly in a few GDTs last year.

Your point about the player reaction is a very good one. If I was that aggravated I suspect they felt far more painfully as a squad.

Cardinal rule for every coach is to provide your team with a chance to win, then let them deliver. In short, do no harm - ever! Worst thing a coach can do is blunder and cost a team despite their best effort. How many games last year did the Canes outplay the opponent with no reward? Do you remember most of December?

Edited by Manwolf

Sending a spent line or the fourth line over the boards against the other teams top line with a minute left on the clock and the game tied when you had last line change at home.  Double sucks because you had fought back to tie the game.  That directly resulted in 3 losses.

Trying to play a dump and chase system when your team wasn't built to grind it out of the corners on both ends. See Jussi Jokinen.  Over the boards, chase, gain possession, dump, line change.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

I could go on, both those stick out in my head.  I'm glad Muller has moved on.

I'm expecting a lot more of "game management" from Bill Peters.  And yes, he could be a big x-factor.

Edited by coastal_caniac

... in the article Babcock says that the players, even in Junior hockey, cared most that the coach knew what was going on in the game and could manage it. If Muller was bad at this night in and night out the players would know it

You mean that "I don't have a clue" look he always had when the wheels fell off the wagon affected the players somehow?

Edited by super_dave_1

I have said before--Muller stuck to "his system"--no matter what, it seemed. And I think the best coaches adjust

to the opponent, and the game situation (assuming the players are using their hockey basics--like puck possession etc)

I suspect Peters will choose his players to match up best to the opponent---and change things up in the game as

as needed. Hockey basics plus meticulous planning will be more of a mantra than "the system". And I guess

he will lean heaviest on his "everyday" men---as the article on Babcock suggested. (The others will get less

ice time)  Those players will change some throughout the season, since few are "everyday" men for every game.

But Peters will know when the players are at their best, and when they are not. Like I said-----he had a good teacher.

This is what makes me hopeful.

Maybe, just maybe that's what our leader,RF,has been aware of all along? That too is what I've attempted to postulate, admittedly with not as authoritative a voice as many on these boards, that a concerted and UNIFIED effort by Peters and Francis will help far more than an X factor by any of these free agents(although I confess at also stressing when so many get swooped up by seemingly every other team than us).

Players producing at closer to or slightly better than their expected levels, avoidance of a rash of injuries, 1 or 2 of the AHLers as well as Lindholm and Murphy taking that next step AND the RF/BP faction clicking and I think we'll break our 5 yr drought!! Maybe even coincide with El Nino?

KJUNKANE: Yes--I get the feeling that there will be solid alliance between RF/BP--especially not giving

"favored player status" to certain untouchable players. I feel RF already put certain players on notice that

expectations would change and mediocrity would not be acceptable. Then he went out and got a coach

of like mind, from a winning culture, to develop a plan and a mindset, to teach and enforce this.

I think BP will come prepared to play each opponent--and will prepare the team to do so as well.

If this is a correct reading, we should see better on ice performance--BP said he will especially stress

home ice performance.  I believe internal change of focus, for the Canes, is the greatest need now---

far greater than splashy changes of pieces on the playing surface.

We may still see another piece or two added----but I choose to ignore the NHL prognosticators right

now----because everyone on this board knows, and has been screaming for, internal changes. And

we got them. So it is wait and see now.

This "stuck on the system" thing bugged just about all of us.

But I do want to say something about "adjusting" too.  There's a trade off.  You can't have a coach that willy nilly tries every darn thing.  Perhaps in your business world you've seen it.   I know I have.

There's a good medium that a good coach will find.  3 months or so until we start to find out.

wxray1, I take, from the way RF seemed to be absolutely blown away during the interview process with Peters, by his own admission, that "willy nilly" is not part of Peter's vocabularly!!

wxray1, I take, from the way RF seemed to be absolutely blown away during the interview process with Peters, by his own admission, that "willy nilly" is not part of Peter's vocabularly!!

Right, I agree.

Anybody monitoring Chip's feed? 

Francis said he received update on Semin's rehab from wrist surgery. "It's progressing as expected."

Key point to be made is Francis has not met with LaRose yet.

Francis on possible LaRose comeback try: "Obviously, he'd need to earn his way, show he can still do it."

Francis said options for LaRose could include tryout in training camp and/or possibly starting season in Charlotte (AHL).

Francis says former Canes forward Chad LaRose, out of hockey last season, has expressed interest in meeting with Francis.

Canes GM Ron Francis says he continues to talk with Brett Bellemore, who remains unsigned. Says nothing imminent.

So, as we mostly all know, I sung the praises of this collection of talent before last season. I still think that there is much more talent here than most think and the new coach/GM just might wring more out of this group than many think possible.

That said, I don't think that the situation is quite: "we like our group". I think it's more "We could end up liking our group, but really we don't have much choice right now."

THAT said, I still think that we could use at least one move that is not retread or 4th line.

LaRose. I wouldn't say no to that, I'd say HECK NO. Francis wants to humor him w/ an AHL tryout...fine, but really, what's the point?

Bellemore? Well, if he'd come cheap, why not, but would really have to move Harrison which at this point in his career is fine w/ me.

But as I've pointed out before, this team was needing one more piece LAST year and that was before Ruutu ended up being useless. So even if we wanted get the band together, we are down Ruutu AND Lotkionov, who BTW was looking like he could be the piece.

So w/ no Ruutu and no Lotkionov, we are not counting on last year's team, but last year's team, minus those guys.

Thus the challenge is that last year's team needs to play to its full potential, AND we need at least two here to fore not productive guys to step up.

That's a lot of hope, so better, we need another move. It still might come. Or PK may have just said, "shut it off". But we really could use one more move. I guess letting Boychuk et all fight it out will end up being the move though, and that is just harder to get too excited about.

Edited by remkin