The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

First of all, I like LaRose, and I believe he was misused and frustrated by Muller. I have realistic views of his skill or lack of skill. I believe he does have some intangibles that, if used properly, could be valuable to the team. Last season, the only player that worked hard and overchieved was Gerbe. It should be interesting to see how the year off has affected his game. He could come back recharged, and if so, really be able to help. He also could have completely lost it. I sure wouldn't mind seeing him come to camp on a tryout.

Just because you are smaller and your legs appear to move faster to keep up with other players does not mean you're a hard worker. This is a common misperception with smaller sized players. If LaRose was such a hard worker then why is his +/- so bad?

I'm fine with inviting LaRose to camp. If he does good enough to earn a spot what's there to complain about? Other than what that says about the rest of our team. If McGinn /Rask etc. are borderline ready for the move to the NHL, I'd rather Larose makes it as a 4th liner/healthy scratch so we can let the youngsters get more minutes in the AHL.  

Its how I see it. It had nothing to do with his contract status only the way it was handled. Again I'm not saying LaRose deserves a roster spot but only a chance at one.

As I said, I disagree.  His contract was up and he wasn't re-signed.  What more was he owed by the organization?

Just because you are smaller and your legs appear to move faster to keep up with other players does not mean you're a hard worker. This is a common misperception with smaller sized players. If LaRose was such a hard worker then why is his +/- so bad?

At least his legs were moving! There have been some high priced players recently,that seem to glide from time to time. Chad had two seasons with high plus minus. One year he was minus 21, and I will admit that is bad. The next year he was minus 15 on a team with a lot of high minus players. That season, Faulk was minus 16, and Gleason was plus 12. I'm not sure that plus minus is an indicator of a players work ethic or his value to a team. Edited by caniac6

As I said, I disagree.  His contract was up and he wasn't re-signed.  What more was he owed by the organization?

Another chance

I don't get why the Canes owe LaRose anything?  He walked out, his contract was up, and he wasn't resigned. 

Let's move on past the washed-up retreads and wannabe washed-up retreads.

Our boy Eklund is reporting that Evander Kane is coming our way via trade.  Talk about a pipe dream.  WHat did we give up?  Jeff Skinner?

So what you're really saying is that there's almost zero chance that Evander Kane is heading our way. :(

I don't even remember what it was about, but I was looking at a thread on another site from 2008 a while back.  It started out: "Warning . . . from Eklund":lol: How does that guy even get published anymore? :dizzy:

Edited by LakeLivin

I'm guessing Eklund's process is something like this:

"OK, Kane is unhappy. He wants a trade, lets face it. Time to get out the wheel." (Pulls out a big spinning wheel with every NHL team on it and spins it). "Dang. Philly. No cap space." Try again. (spins). "Carolina. OK, ok. Not likely, but it is possible." 

(Gets out laptop, types) "Hearing Kane to Carolina rumors".

Now I freely admit that it is possible that it is less random. It is possible that he just trolls our boards :howdy: and others for trades we'd like to see. And goes with a few of those.

What I find highly unlikely is that he has many if any actual sources. 

Now, if the Jets and Mo want Ward, maybe we could work something out for Kane...

Edited by remkin

I'm guessing Eklund's process is something like this:

"OK, Kane is unhappy. He wants a trade, lets face it. Time to get out the wheel." (Pulls out a big spinning wheel with every NHL team on it and spins it). "Dang. Philly. No cap space." Try again. (spins). "Carolina. OK, ok. Not likely, but it is possible." 

I have a different theory.  I think he writes down the names of players who want a trade on post it notes, sticks them on a wall, blindfolds himself, and throws a dart.  Then he does the same thing with teams (or maybe even other players).  And voila, we have a headline! 

I don't get why the Canes owe LaRose anything?  He walked out, his contract was up, and he wasn't resigned. 

Let's move on past the washed-up retreads and wannabe washed-up retreads.

It's always a head scratcher to me when people want changes in the lineup, but don't want to let any of the current players (or ex-players) go anywhere.  When LaRose's contract was up, the Canes had missed the playoffs for 4 years running and JR wanted to make some changes in the makeup of the team, and players with expiring contracts are always first to go.  I don't see how it is such a travesty that he wasn't re-signed or how he is owed anything.  There are 30 teams in the league, so the Canes aren't the only "chance" that LaRose has.  His biggest mistake was disappearing for a year.  A fringe NHL player doesn't need to take any time off.

On Eklund, I think he has a modified game of Clue.  Instead of Col. Mustard doing it in the dining room with a candlestick, it's hockey players and teams.

Edited by super_dave_1

At his best LaRose was a character guy who was a character. He was the plucky everyman with heart. He had deceptively good hand eye skills, (why he put up some goals and ended up getting overslotted) but was undersized and an awkward skater. Early on he filled the role of agitator, but as SD pointed out, that faded as he started fashioning himself as a scorer. Thing is LaRose at best was a decent finisher. He almost never created offense. His assist totals were always low. 

I have often commented over the years how LaRose HAD to skate like he was about to die because he had an awkward skating style: Hunched forward almost flailing his legs to keep up, much like a pee-wee skater. A smoother, skilled skater, like a Semin, will always look like he isn't trying as hard. 

But LaRose always did try hard. He was funny and a heart and soul guy, and he did the little things and agitated and stood up for teammates and all of that. And dog gone it, look at that little guy plug away. The little engine that could! 

But he grew less and less effective as an NHL player. He is not big enough to bang on the 4th line, and not good enough for a top 6 role, especially the last couple of years. My guess is that if Chad had not gotten overslotted, he might have had more shelf life by beating expectations. A 4th line grinder who could pot more goals than you thought he would. And maybe he could still fill that role, but why? 

We want to get bigger and the 4th line is one place to do that. Further, we've got young guys to bring up. 

LaRose was an undrafted, undersized, awkward skater who somehow found a way to play 500 NHL games and put up some goals along the way. That is so rare as to be almost miraculous that this team gave him that. And we owe him more? Make of list of all of the marginal drafted players that have come and gone while we rolled out fairly big contracts to LaRose and maybe it seems like he did all right. 

His last year he did Jack and Squat while making millions.

Hey, Jack, if LaRose wants a shot, sure. But we don't owe him anything, and if he ends up on the team, it will not make me happy. More for what it says about where the team is at than anything about LaRose.

There was a time that I lauded LaRose and thought he was unfairly maligned. He was a very decent third liner for several years. Unfortunately he was put on the first line for a couple of them. Anyway, his time here has passed. 

He had over 500 more NHL games than I ever did. He is not deprived.

Best of luck in you future endeavors, but we are going a different direction. At least eventually.

rem, That is a masterful, as always, summary of Chad, except for one element. I can't even estimate the # of times I saw him break out on a breakaway and completely miss the goal. Or the # of times he got the puck with an empty net yawning in front of him and simply wiff on the attempt. Then there were the rare occasions that he could make an absolutely brilliant play.

To me, I always thought that in the latter part of his career, Chad began to read too closely his press clippings, and got away from what endeared him to us. I completely agree that our coach's overslotting, for whatever reason was the unfortunate element in his declining play.

As I see it, Gerbe is the more effective "Chad LaRose", and to keep one makes the other redundant.

Edited by KJUNKANE

Haha, my thought exactly slapshot02. On the other hand, the story on Jay McClement sounds good.

Just reading over on Hockey Buzz that Bruins are really up against Cap with 8 defensemen. How about we take Boychuk off their hands?

Edited by KJUNKANE

I think Chad's story is remarkable and he even won a Stanley Cup. I have nothing but respect for him, but that respect isn't enough for me to give him a spot on this team again.

and we thought we wouldn't have Chad to kick around anymore! The thing is love him or hate him I haven't seen anyone on the board say LaRose should have a spot on the team. The fact is the odds of LaRose making the team are very slim. There are those of us for various reasons who think he should be given a tryout. One last chance, nothing more.

What will it hurt if he pushes some of the younger players to play harder in training camp or say he is given an AHL contract it isn't like we are loaded with depth in Charlotte or will be this season.

I wouldn't say anybody is kicking LaRose around unless I missed something?  Most saw his skills were diminished when he walked out and now he's a year older and has been out of hockey for a year.  We are moving to the future core.

If you want to feel sorry for the guy to the point the team now somehow owes him something, then whatever.

Poor Rosey.

Also don't get the love him or hate him thing, that's old news, given players, their will, and their bodies age out.  Some earlier than others.

LaRose played 500 NHL games for gosh sakes.  Just about every post I have read on this now tired subject appreciated his effective time here.

Move forward.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I can't figure Boston out. They are up against the cap but yet many trade rumors are tied to the Bruins.GM  needs to make some crafty moves.

Haha, my thought exactly slapshot02. On the other hand, the story on Jay McClement sounds good.

Just reading over on Hockey Buzz that Bruins are really up against Cap with 8 defensemen. How about we take Boychuk off their hands?

Edited by slapshot02

Maybe Ward is owed the right to have the top goalie spot for his past contributions.

Maybe EStaal is owed the right to not be questioned for his effort.

Maybe Gleason is owed his top 4 defensive slot and his "A" back.

How many games do you have to play in a Canes sweater before you have tenure?