The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Ive had about all I can stand of Larose, Gleason, Ward and what they deserve..How about those of use who support and spend our money to see an under performing team season after season.. Why would you ever bring any of these guys back??? Its a foolish decision and you can spin it any way you want to... Bottom line is this team cant score, and nothing has been done to improve that. Ga-Gf is always -20... now everyone is all touchy feely for the same crop of pucks... sorry guys, but as for me and my money, i want to see grit and goals... and none of the above bring it...... blow it up... 

Gleason does bring grit, and is about the only Cane who consistently wins his fights. At the price, he is worth a shot. We got him back for just over 1/4 of what he made last year. I have not given up on Ward, but even those who have would have a hard time finding a team that would take his contract. Assuming Khudobin is th #1, I'll take Ward as a very expensive backup over paying 1/2 his salary and having another Justin Peters/John Grahame in goal. As for Chad, the Canes owe him nothing though many of us fans remember him fondly. At most, I hope we only offer him a 2 way contract with a chance to show if he has anything left in Charlotte. If he cannot accept that type of deal with a positive attitude, thanks for the memories.

I see Malone is wearing #24 (according to the roster page), hopefully he can bring a little of what another certain #24 brought in a Canes sweater.

...and the fact that we are even talking about Larose makes me sad (in a pathetic sort of way).

I see Malone is wearing #24 (according to the roster page), hopefully he can bring a little of what another certain #24 brought in a Canes sweater.

...and the fact that we are even talking about Larose makes me sad (in a pathetic sort of way).

Was this a Sami Kapanen or Martin Gelinas reference?

and we thought we wouldn't have Chad to kick around anymore! The thing is love him or hate him I haven't seen anyone on the board say LaRose should have a spot on the team. The fact is the odds of LaRose making the team are very slim. There are those of us for various reasons who think he should be given a tryout. One last chance, nothing more.

What will it hurt if he pushes some of the younger players to play harder in training camp or say he is given an AHL contract it isn't like we are loaded with depth in Charlotte or will be this season.

Larose would be a good two-way signing or camp invite as long as his performance evaluation is not biased in any way.  Depth is never a bad thing.  I certainly can't see how he fits in the lineup, but injuries can change that.  Having a call up that many players are familiar with is not a bad thing.  Now, if he get's a one-way contract or a spot on the roster without any injuries.....then we are not making progress.

More free agents signing...not with us.

Roy and Ribeiro to the Preds. 

Not that I really wanted either of them for different reasons, but they went for $1 million a piece for one year. 

You'd think we could afford at least one guy in that price range....

Edited by remkin

Rookie Camp announced. Tolchinsky is a very glaring omission. He had a fabulous year up in the Soo with the Greyhounds. Anyone hear why he wasn't invited?

I can think one of two reasons: They're going to dangle him as a trade piece with something bigger and don't want him getting hurt at camp or they're going to think he has a shot to make the jump this year and don't want him hurt like Lindholm was at camp last year.

Of those two options, I like #2, because I think if he develops, he'd be a good addition to the team, despite his size.

Canes Country is reporting we hired a goalie coach----David Marcoux--(6 years as

goalie coach working with Kipursoff in Calgary  and has history with Cam in the

2004-05 lockout season.)

See no word on this board.? ! ?

Correction: Just saw it on Terrell Williams blog.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Now, if he get's a one-way contract or a spot on the roster without any injuries.....then we are not making progress.

In this profession, taking a year off is typically disastrous. But if they want to give him a tryout, I have no problem with that. Jeff O'Neill was once my favorite player... still makes me sad.

All kidding aside, this guy sounds legit. Plus, he's smart.  See he has an MS.

Agreed. Seems like a very solid hiring. Reports are focusing on his work with Kiprusoff in Calgary. I think Francis has been very meticulous in putting the coaching staff together. I'm excited to see some hockey soon.

On the dim side of things, it's becoming more and more apparent that the Free Agent signings are done for Carolina. Little hard to swallow knowing he didn't fill at least ONE more need on offense. But I expected this.. I think PK is pulling purse strings here.

Also, I think some of the cheap one-year signings are a matter of circumstance. The team in Nashville is obviously being built to make a run. I think veteran players will take less money if they know they're going to contender. There are too many question marks around this team, and the management of this team to get veteran players to take a discount to come here.

I don't often defend PK, but I don't see how he can be currently viewed as going el-cheapo or pulling purse strings given we already have 20 players signed and have only around 5-million in cap space to play with.  A few million of that can easily be eaten up by guys playing on two-way contracts.

If you want to complain, go find JR.  He's a more appropriate target.

Cleaning up some of that mess is coming, and RF is doing a good job, IMO, not overpaying in an overpaying market.

Nice to see that the Russian players on the Olympic and IHF teams received a little extra special for participation. A new Mercedes will be a nice addition!  Congrats to Khudobin.

Coastal, although I completely agree with your sentiment regarding PK's and JR's roles in the financial conundrum that currently faces this team, still it's hard to see so many teams signing these untold numbers of free agents for obviously exorbitant money with what many on these boards see as "just one more player" to finish out our needs. This is the same song many of us sung last year, me included. Teams like Chicago, the Rangers, Toronto, Boston, the Habs and generally all the "biggies" all seem to get their players, with what often appears to me to be unlimited funds and despite CBA restraints!

I suppose what's hardest for me is to keep in mind the handful of "top heavy contracts" which JR handed out, possibly in his mind out of necessity to foster loyalty or attractiveness of this small market, but how this act now completely stymies any attempt to upgrade this roster. What we are relegated to at present seems to be the course of "shrewd" deals which JR so often engaged in. I'm just unsure if RF has the credibility yet amongst his current peers, or whatever the attribute may be, to accomplish these sort of trades?

What I again get back to for success this season, is a ton of pressure on our new coach to get performances back up to expectations, as I doubt we'll be seeing any more, or at best, very limited help, from the free agent market. I suppose the only hope I currently hold out is for a player becoming available on a team that finds itself over budget, but the caveat is that we have such limited space apparently.

Oh, and one other thing coastal or anyone, you mention that 20 players are signed, but even with McClement not showing up on the roster, all I count, with him is 19( 11 forwards, 6 D and the 2 goalies). Who am I missing? And I guess McClement has not been assigned a # yet?

Edited by KJUNKANE

I don't often defend PK, but I don't see how he can be currently viewed as going el-cheapo or pulling purse strings given we already have 20 players signed and have only around 5-million in cap space to play with.  A few million of that can easily be eaten up by guys playing on two-way contracts.

If you want to complain, go find JR.  He's a more appropriate target.

Cleaning up some of that mess is coming, and RF is doing a good job, IMO, not overpaying in an overpaying market.

I agree on these points, and on the whole "blaming JR" dealio, it seems to me that he gave too much, too quick to the players.  Was it really necessary to overpay just to lock up the guys in a small, non-traditional market?

I still don't think we are done...I expect an addition via trade once Philly, Boston, Chicago have to become cap compliant. There is the chance though that guys like Boychuk and McGinn perform well enough to make the roster. We've blocked progression of a lot of young players by filling the void with so-so veterans in the past (Komisarek and Dvorak last year). Let's see what the young guys can bring and then make a move if needed.

McGinn!!! OK it should be clear who I like.

I think this might have been posted back when it happened but, wait for the number one play of the week on this one:

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/4e11dd5930a3e7d6f259219ac2a0a27d

He looked great in camp last year, then just went on to put up points right along mid first round picks this year.

Can't wait to see if he's ready.

Edited by remkin

McGinn!!! OK it should be clear who I like.

I think this might have been posted back when it happened but, wait for the number one play of the week on this one:

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/4e11dd5930a3e7d6f259219ac2a0a27d

He looked great in camp last year, then just went on to put up points right along mid first round picks this year.

Can't wait to see if he's ready.

We'll get a taste at Prospect camp next wee.  I watched the Memorial cup game this year, it would be nice if his OHL skills can translate to the NHL level.