The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

We'll get a taste at Prospect camp next wee.  I watched the Memorial cup game this year, it would be nice if his OHL skills can translate to the NHL level.

He's scoring at an OHL level that would suggest top 6 chops. But is he ready this year right out of camp? He'll probably have to blow it out to get a spot out of camp, though I would not be stunned at all. He's not huge, though he plays bigger than his size. I would think that this is Boychuk's chance to lose and McGinn ends up in Charlotte to start. But he'll be up sooner than later if you ask me.

I think RF is done with his signings. Remember PK and Ronnie like their current personnel,counting on Peters to hold a tight rein and get the most out of his players with his system. RF and Peters will evaluate the team and decide who stays and who has to go. Doesn't make sense to obtain another piece until they evaluate what the have and who puts in the effort and performs on a daily basis.Some trades may happen earlier than waiting for the end of the year.If we don't make the playoffs some of our top guys may be offered to playoff contenders. With who is left on the unsigned free agent list, I don't see a move unless the price is crazy low.

While I'm not necessarily thrilled with the way JR left our roster, I don't necessarily blame him for some of the contracts we have. If I'm a skilled player or a veteran guy looking for a new home, I'm not going to get too excited when Carolina calls and says they want me If I've already received a call from 10 or more other teams that make the playoffs consistently or legitimately have a chance to win it all.

The Hurricanes are bottom feeders. We get the leftovers, or we overpay, and we do so as a small market team on a budget. Truthfully, I think JR did what he had to do most of the time. It's going to take a great GM to put together a legitimate team and a real genius to establish a winning culture that makes high end players consistently want to come here. JR managed to get us a championship and he certainly earned his place in my mind as a great GM doing it under these conditions. 

That said, even with a cup win, Carolina still wasn't seen as an attractive, winning destination for free agents and superstars. JR saw something big in Eric Staal and Cam Ward, and maybe those contracts are a little much, but at the time we're talking about a 100 point player and a Conn Smythe winning goaltender who put on an unbelievable performance to win that cup. Any GM locks that up, no question. 

The real question now is, can Ron Francis put Carolina on people's short list of willing trade destinations or list of places they're willing to take a discount to play? Would Brad Richards have come to Raleigh for $2 Million? Not a chance. RF has his work cut out for him and so far I think he's done the right things. There is talent on this team, can a new coach get the best out of what we have? If The Hammer can, then we have something for Ronnie to add to, if yet another new coach can't make anything happen then I suspect RF will make some big moves to free up money and start over.

And I guess McClement has not been assigned a # yet?

It looks like he will be wearing #18 according to the roster page.

Also, I think Boychuck changed his # to 22.

It was 11, then 32. Maybe the third time will be a charm.

Edited by Kyrule

Thanks kyrule, apparently they added that after my text as I had checked it before I posted, And as to my question on roster # of players, I suppose that if Boychuk is counted, that does make 20.

Edited by KJUNKANE

We currently have 17 players signed to one-way contracts. 

Lindholm, Murphy, and Nash are on entry-level deals.  If you assume Nash and Lindholm are on the team, then that's 19.  If you believe Murphy will make the team, which I do, that's 20 players. 

Guys like Boychuk and Terry don't count against the roster cap of 23 players until their two-way deals kick when they either make the team or are called up.

http://www.capgeek.com/hurricanes/

Edited by coastal_caniac

Captain Obvious here, but it does just re occur to me that JR laid all of his chips on two guys: E. and Cam. While other guys have absolutely contributed to the lack of expected productivity, when "your best players have to be your best players" is distilled to it's simplest level it is those two guys. Just look at last year and now the challenge of trying to fix things this year. That's the negative.

The positive is this. If those two guys can get back to their near peak, it will also make a huge turnaround. 

Unless we suddenly sign Dustin Penner, we are very likely done with free agency, at least in a significant way. Since the assets we might consider trading are all undervalued, it is hard to see any significant trades. Notwithstanding that I would love us to give Mueller a chance...

I'm happy at this point to give one Z. Boychuk a real chance.

I am getting the feeling that Francis is thinking: well as good a time as any to give a couple of young guys a real shot. Top of that list just has to be Boychuk. And you know what? I want to see it. Whatever his issues might have been, this guy has paid his dues. Want to talk about a guy who "deserves a chance". Not LaRose. Boychuk. He played well the last time up. Tell me he wouldn't have done better than Ruutu last year? But Ruutu had the contract so...Boychuk has played the "4th line, back check even though I'm a small scorer" role that we seem to insist on guys playing out of position (see how Jussi did with that). 

People say he's just an AHL scorer, but how do you know? 

It always used to kill me how Cam would have a couple of weak starts but keep getting the net, then the back up has one bad start and he's an AHL goalie. It's the same thing with scorers. Sure Skinner will score wherever you put him, but he is a world class talent, a rarity. Most solid scorers are not going to score a lot of goals rotating 3rd and 4th lines knowing that if they don't focus on backchecking every second of the game they'll be back in Charlotte. Again, look no further than Jussi Jokinen. 

If Jussi during the end of his Kirk days was a minor leaguer on a two way, he'd have been in Charlotte on that bus with Boychuk. Look what happened when he was given a scoring role again. 

Yes, the AHL is a step slower and the goalies a touch more inconsistent, and just because a guy puts up a lot of AHL points doesn't mean he will score in the NHL, but you realize the logic trap here right? I mean is it better that a guy doesn't score in the AHL? cough Rask cough? 

Ultimately McGinn is my guy, but is he NHL ready right out of camp? Unless McGinn just blows everyone awasy, I start w Boychuk.

I know, I know, he's not huge. Neither is Whitney. Boychuk has the chops, but just needs to get a real chance to prove it. 

That's what I'm going with. For now at least.

Edited by remkin

I don't see McGinn making the leap just yet. It would be great if I'm wrong but I think he needs some AHL time. I have been pulling for Boychuk for awhile now. He could finally get his "real" shot this season but I'm not counting on it. Terry intrigues me especially with the contract he got. I'm thinking we will give him every chance to make the team.

Usually at this time of year I put my Cane colored glasses on and spout optimistic views of our chances. So many questions this year and so many things that have to come together,  I just can't find the unabashed optimism.

Please don't misunderstand, no matter who we put on the ice I will cheer and hope. But this year, almost to a man, it is show me what you got, make me believe.

remkin, I think you are right.  It would explain why RF signed Malone and McClement(legitimate 4th line) and why Boychuk and Terry got the big AHL money on the 2way contracts(Show us what you got, or we do need someone at the Dippin' Dots cart at 312....) 

I don't see McGinn making the leap just yet. It would be great if I'm wrong but I think he needs some AHL time. I have been pulling for Boychuk for awhile now. He could finally get his "real" shot this season but I'm not counting on it. Terry intrigues me especially with the contract he got. I'm thinking we will give him every chance to make the team.

Usually at this time of year I put my Cane colored glasses on and spout optimistic views of our chances. So many questions this year and so many things that have to come together,  I just can't find the unabashed optimism.

Please don't misunderstand, no matter who we put on the ice I will cheer and hope. But this year, almost to a man, it is show me what you got, make me believe.

I agree, I have the same mindset going into this season. I still think we are two seasons away from getting out of some of our bad contracts.

As for Boychuck and Terry, I thought they actually played fairly well last season. I don't remember their names coming up when screaming at the tv like so many others.

I thought Terry looked really good on the PP at the end of the season, and he obviously has some skill in the shootout. His biggest knock is his foot speed, but I think it might be overrated in some cases. He might be one of those cases. Whatever the case, I just hope they are put in a position to succeed and not miscast as they were previously.

The other thing is, I think they are both left wings. I think Malone is a center/left wing. It seems we have a lot of left wings and only three right wings. As it stands, I believe someone is going to have to play their off-wing. This is another reason I think the Staal's have to stay at center.

If we make one more signing, I believe it will be to address our deficiency at right wing.

What is Mueller's side, isn't it right? And is their any more on him regarding a PTO? When does that offer come, btw, or is it just an understanding between the player and the specific team?

If the roster stays the way it is now, I would think it might look something like this:

Skinner / E. Staal / Semin

Tlusty / J. Staal / Lindholm

Gerbe / Boychuk / Nash

Malone / McClement / Dwyer

I'm sure it will look nothing like this, but it is July and there is nothing else to talk about.

What is Mueller's side, isn't it right? And is their any more on him regarding a PTO? When does that offer come, btw, or is it just an understanding between the player and the specific team?

I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as a PTO in the NHL, so Mueller would have to go through the Checkers and sign a PTO there (like Manny did) to get to training camp.  That contract is good for 25 games.  If the Canes like what they see then they can sign him to a NHL standard players contract.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Boychuk and Terry's big AHL salaries really speaks to our paper thin depth in the AHL. I guess it also speaks to the good years they had. Looking at AHL salaries there are a few guys making that king of money at the AHL level, but not too many.

Looking at last year's Checkers, Boychuk put up over a ppg and nearly 40 goals.  Terry was right there with him in points and 28 goals to boot. Aaron Palshaj was next, at a respectable 58 points in 68 games, but at this point he's not back. Then Brett Sutter, then a big gap, especially in points per game. Rask and Shugg ring in at around .5 ppg. 

So, if Boychuk and Terry both make the big club there are basically no call ups that are clearly NHL ready up front. I can see McGinn going to Charlotte just so they can score every now and then. Then again how will it help his offensive development if he has no one to play with. 

I guess there will be some new blood w/ DiGuiseppe, and Holmstrom and others, and maybe Rask takes a step forward...

But it seems we needed both Boychuk and Terry on two ways so bad that we are paying the pretty well to play minor league hockey. And we really do need them. 

I would say that if Boychuk can't crack the Canes' lineup this year he never will, but then again, he probably won't get paid better than his AHL salary in the real world either, so maybe just keep playing.

Edited by remkin

If Boychuck nets 20 goals this year and if Ward maintains he 2.30 GAA they should both be like this:

are-you-not-entertained.gif

Thoughts?

I'd be happy.  Heck I'd build a new house on the Island.

When it comes to deals with guys like Palshaj one usually has to have some inside intel or read between the lines because there just isn't much news, and when there is a release of news, it is almost always very basic and just that he was not resigned. 

So, speculation on my part: Palushaj is a good example of just how hard it is to make it and stick in the NHL. He was a mid second rounder. Played 2 years at U. Michigan, then two full AHL years, then got into 38 NHL games w/ the Canadians, though as a role player since he only put up 5 points. So far so good...then went back down and was claimed off waivers by Colorado, where he got into 25 games putting up 9 points, again in a checking role. Colorado did not resign him and we signed him as a FA on a two way. But he only got into two games for us. 

He is fast and quick, w/ decent hands but he is not big or bruising. He is the classic smaller guy who really needs to score to be in the NHL, but can't crack the top 9 let alone top 6 of an NHL club. He is exactly the guy who shows how hard it is to even hit 100 NHL games, let alone 200, let alone 500, Chad. Hockey minor-league history is loaded with guys in this ballpark. He is probably in the upper tier of those type of guys. Very skilled compared to an average hockey player, but not elite enough to be a top 6 NHL point producer, and not big or physical enough to make a living on the 3rd or 4th lines in the NHL.

My guess is that the Canes looked at a small guy who has no place in our top 9 and is not a 4th liner and could not crack our line up more than 2 games in a pretty bad year, and not a guy with huge upside, and in terms of a prospect at 24, not really far from his peak and were not thrilled. We do have to make room for the DiGuissepi's and McGinns after all. From his side, he obviously wants a shot and at 24 needs it soon, and wasn't getting it here. 

Reading between the lines: given our thinness in NHL capable call ups, my guess is that we wanted to re sign Aaron, but given that we only got him into 2 NHL games he probably thought he'd do better elsewhere, and we didn't feel strongly about it. 

It would be nice to know if this is true or not. 

Personally I think this is a good year to be a Canes prospect. We are thin, and did not pick up much in FA. Historically it's been tough for our AHL prospects to break in, but at least at the moment, this year could be different. And we have a new coach and GM, good for a new start.

Anyway, I don't have any actual knowledge of the inner works of the decision, but seemed like a good way to ponder the general stuff. 

Edited by remkin

rem, You've answered eloquently but skipped all around what I thought about Palshaj, and that was, I thought he'd signed elsewhere.Isn't that true,or am I confused?

According to NHL.com's free agency tracker as of yesterday, he's still unsigned. Not saying that might not be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we just didn't sign him and he's still out there. 

Speaking of still out there....wonder what Dustin Penner is thinking...or asking...

On another front rem, remind me why we let Ryan Carter go a few years back? I'm seeing that he's unsigned in New Jersey, and wonder if he might be good on our 3rd or 4th line?

On another front rem, remind me why we let Ryan Carter go a few years back? I'm seeing that he's unsigned in New Jersey, and wonder if he might be good on our 3rd or 4th line?

i would ask others to add insight on Ryan Carter because for the life of me I just can't seem to remember him. Research shows we traded a couple of minor leaguers for him and he got into 32 games for us in 10-11, and we then traded him to get Cory Stillman v.2. 

His numbers do point out another end of the making it in the NHL spectrum. I'm guessing by his productivity vs. his games played that he is primarily a 4th liner. But he has made somewhat of a career out of it racking up 360 NHL games. This has got to be where being 6' 2" helps vs. Pulashaj's size. A 4th line, depth center has been on one way NHL contracts for a long time...won the player's player award in NJ so must be a character guy too. 

But we have Jay McClement and Riley Nash for 3/4 center, and I would suspect Carter is not looking for a two way contract.

Again though, I have zero memory of him here, so love to hear other's impressions.

Rem,good thought on Palushaj. I wanted to see more of him last year and unfortunately only saw a few shifts. Curious as to what will happen with him as he put up some good numbers in Charlotte.

Yeah, I hope he gets a shot, but it's going to be tough for him probably.

Two guys who put up even better points totals who have really only sniffed the NHL are our boys Boychuk and Terry.

I was trying to find out what I might about Palushaj (I will not miss trying to remember how to spell that name) on the Checkers website when I came across this quote from Paul Branecky's season wrap up for the Checkers, which I think might shed some light on why we might want to give Boychuk and Terry a shot this year:

"Exactly half of Boychuk’s goals were on the man advantage, marking a league high and a franchise record. Over half of Terry’s 69 points came on the power play, where he ranked third in the league with 37" and that the Checkers had: "a dynamic power play that finished second in the league at 22.2 percent –."

While Branecky was partly making the point that the Checkers had trouble scoring 5 on 5, from a Caniac point of view, when it comes to their PP, which was very much the Boychuk-Terry show..."I'll have what they're having." is what I say.

Last year's Canes finally created a respectable PP at the end of the year by creating a non Staal first unit with smaller skilled passers on it. This is where Loktionov really seemed to help. Hopefully Boychuk and Terry can at least contribute in that much needed area.

Edited by remkin

coastal, altho I'm not questioning your statement about PTO use in NHL, why do I seem to recall several players getting invited to NHL training camps, then walking away with a contract? Am I confused, or is this just semantics? Also, I seem to recall someone say that he might be invited to our camp??

Ek is stating that NJ, LA and Flyers are "interested" in him, but of course that's Eklund. Hope it's not true though.

On another front, bluedevil58, love that movie, and can only wish that Cam and Chuckie do have such an opportunity.

Edited by KJUNKANE