The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Given how productive he was in Charlotte I'd be surprised if we didn't at least verbally offer Palushaj a "real" 2-way contract (5 digit AHL salary).  I sometimes tend to forget that we need to keep the Checkers competitive too, and that it's not just all about the Canes. I'm guessing he wasn't receptive because Boychuk and Terry's "pseudo" 2-way contracts ($200k and $300k respectively) were a pretty clear indication that they both were ahead of him with respect to making the the big team.

The thing that stood out to me about Palushaj in the little I saw of him was how fast he was.  I'd have liked to have seen him in action a bit more last year.

On Mueller: I've also heard that multiple teams are interested in him.  I'm guessing the first team to offer him a guaranteed contract (as compared to a try out) stands a good chance of signing him. (and yeah, he's a RW)

Google says.....

A Professional Try Out (PTO) is found only in the AHL. This type of contract is limited to 25 games and a player can only be signed to a PTO twice per season. After the second time, the player is either signed to a Standard Player Contract, is a free agent, or if the player is signed to an ECHL team, he is then returned to that team.

I know both Manny and DiPietro were signed to formal PTOs with CHA last year.  But didn't we bring Dvorak into camp last year before we actually signed him? And maybe Palushaj as well? I recall other teams doing the same with unsigned free agents.   Maybe the difference is that it's informal and obviously can only work for an NHL team during training camp. . .

This is one of those dog day, dead zone times where nothing is really going on....that we know of.

I hope that RF is at least kicking the tires on a RW such as Dustin Penner or Peter Mueller.

May not be Earth shattering, but it would seem like either could help us and the price shouldn't be super high.

See, Lake, that's what I thought too, though Dvorak might not have been called a PTO. As pointed out by super dave and others, that designation must be strictly reserved for the AHL. What I'm curious about is what are the conditions of 1 vs the other? In other words, does the category PTO obligate a player to giving 1st opportunity for signage to the team extending it? In the situation where a player is "invited" to preseason practice, could another team swoop in and sign that player before the inviting team has a chance? I'm just not sure how these work.

On another front, Lake, could you please resend that updated avatar, as I've apparently misplaced the 2nd with hockey stick. Thanks

Edited by KJUNKANE

KJUN, you asked specifically about a PTO.  A PTO is a contract as I described earlier, in the AHL only.  You have to be under contract to actually play games, regardless of the league.  In the NHL it's a Standard Players Contract.

That's totally different than a UFA being invited to a training camp.  That happens all the time.

Two totally different circumstances.  One is an AHL contract (PTO), the other is a guy getting an invite to an NHL training camp (no strings attached).

Edited by coastal_caniac

On another front, Lake, could you please resend that updated avatar, as I've apparently misplaced the 2nd with hockey stick. Thanks

Kjun, yeah, you need to update to the one with the stick.  It's way cooler.  Just click on the link below.  Actually, just left click on the link below, copy it, and paste it in the update part of your profile. 

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ghosxiycl3g/U7hERP5rvuI/AAAAAAAAACc/DL6wchaIy6Y/s200-no/whos+your+craw+daddy.jpg

Edited by LakeLivin

If the roster stays the way it is now, I would think it might look something like this:

Skinner / E. Staal / Semin

Tlusty / J. Staal / Lindholm

Gerbe / Boychuk / Nash

Malone / McClement / Dwyer

I'm sure it will look nothing like this, but it is July and there is nothing else to talk about.

Not much size or physical players in the first 3 lines. Good scorers though.  I think we need more size and physical players to be able to compete in the division the canes are in.  I would like the canes pick up a player like a Zac Rinaldo, or Kyle Clifford. Those two players give 110% every shift they are on the ice.

Edited by rlrierson

If Boychuck nets 20 goals this year and if Ward maintains he 2.30 GAA they should both be like this:

are-you-not-entertained.gif

Thoughts?

Cam has not done that on the NHL level before. Why do you think he could do that now?

Edited by winger52

This article just made me smile that we got Peters. Comes from the right pedigree. 

http://www.freep.com/article/20140717/SPORTS05/307170163/1053/sports05

On the lighter side... in the past we had our Peters on the ice, now we have our Peters on the bench. And now for something completely different. Spam, Spam, Spam.....

Coastal and sd1, Thanks for your info and clearing up that situation. Now, the 1 additional question I've got along those lines is, Is there any formality to players being invited to pre-season practice, or is it kind of a spur of the moment decision? In other words, if for instance, RF is interested in bringing in Mueller for a look, do they get in touch with him at some point and issue an invitation? Wonder at what point the issue of $ comes up? That being the case, I suppose a player could just hold off on making a commitment to see if other teams express an interest, and then make a choice? I don't seem to recall when the announcement of invitees is revealed?

On something different, I've watched the Cody Franson holdout unfold, and now see where Toronto avoided arbitration by extending him a 1 year deal. Anybody else on here think Franson would look good in our lineup? Just curious, although there seems to be a knock on him about "foot speed". He supposedly is good on PP? My thought on Maple Leaf players is that many seem to wilt and be thrown under the bus way too early, thus he may be better somewhere else, like Raleigh?

Love it, love it, love it. Just on Hockey Buzz, and seeing some angst being expressed over "redundancy" if you will, over JR's signing of Nick Spalding, Sutter and Marcel Gov. Boy how I'd relish this leading to Sutter being up for a trade back to us!! That'd be perfect for our 3rd line center situation???

Edited by KJUNKANE

The ice is in the arena, the prospects are in town and the coaches are hanging out. I'm catching a whiff of hockey. July can't be all bad.

I still wonder what Dustin Penner is looking for, or if we are talking w/ anyone else.

Interesting thing about FA is that the first few days teams overpay, then after a week they tend to get some really good bargains.

Are we at least bargain hunting?

Otherwise, looking forward to any reports from rookie camp, but outside of that....zzzzzzzz.

Edited by remkin

Guess most of us are hoping for some bargain FA that would give us a reason to think a better than 500 avg. is possible for the up-coming season...too many sub to par seasons to keep up with any more...

Great article in the N&O today on Brock McGinn. With Scotty Walker mentoring him, and singing his praises, this kid must have it. Would love it if he made our 4th line this year!

What does anyone feel about Walker coaching the Checkers? Think if they are not doing well by mid year, that Daniels may be gone?

I still wonder what Dustin Penner is looking for, or if we are talking w/ anyone else.

Interesting thing about FA is that the first few days teams overpay, then after a week they tend to get some really good bargains.

Are we at least bargain hunting?

Otherwise, looking forward to any reports from rookie camp, but outside of that....zzzzzzzz.

I thought we would pick up one more player who could make an impact this year but I'm starting to change my mind after seeing many of the "value" players getting picked up for very little $ but hearing nothing out of Raleigh except crickets..

Derek Roy, C, $1m to the Preds ($4m salary last year)

Lee Stempniak, RW, $900k to the Rangers ($2.5m last year)

David Booth, RW, $1.1m to the Leafs ($4.75m last year but bought out by the Nucks)

David Winnik (RW), Dustin Penner (LW), and Peter Mueller (RW) are still available, but I'm starting to wonder if the brass is maybe content to see how things shake out this year knowing that next year's draft is super strong if things don't work out.  I hope not  . . .

How about posting that link KJUN.

Hopefully, we are moving away from rushing these kids into the lineup.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/07/22/4023098/carolina-hurricanes-prospects.html?sp=/99/103/400/120/

I dunno about throwing a 20yo, 5'11" 185lb kid who plays a physical game like McGinn directly into the NHL.  Seems like that the odds of something bad happening there are a bit too high without at least some decent AHL experience to help with the transition from juniors.    

Edited by LakeLivin

The N/O must be reading my posts. McGinn was the one kid who really caught my eye in camp last year. The guy just moves like an NHL player. Then he went out and vindicated me with a blow out scoring season in Juniors.

I really don't know about the idea of rushing players, but the AHL is not a non physical league. From what I have seen there are more fights, just as much hitting and the players are adults and hit hard. The AHL is a step slower and the goalies are a touch easier to beat. But as for not getting hurt...not sure that matters.

Skinner and Lindholm were 18.

The model of stepping up slowly, to get the more physical game against men, but not quite as fast or hard to beat goalies does make sense, and putting top 6 type players in a top 6 role in the AHL while our top 6 is filled also,  and other teams do it, but our own history is full of guys that go the the AHL and never really take that step up. 

I basically agree that he should probably start out on the top line in Charlotte, but would not be shocked if he made the big club.

Either way, McGinn will be a Cane sooner than later. 

Edited by remkin

Great article in the N&O today on Brock McGinn. With Scotty Walker mentoring him, and singing his praises, this kid must have it. Would love it if he made our 4th line this year!

What does anyone feel about Walker coaching the Checkers? Think if they are not doing well by mid year, that Daniels may be gone?

I don't think the 4th line and 1.5-4 minutes a game is where a developing young player needs to be. It doesn't work. Period. He's either ready for top 9 minutes, or he's not ready. He'll be a top line guy in Charlotte. 

I agree about the Checkers coaching. It needs to be refreshed. I'm ont a fan at all, of Daniels, or the progress he's made with our prospects.