The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

OK.... :couch: .

Brandon Sutter is not worth what he thinks he is, and if he won't play for what he's being offered...no thanks, and JR is looking better on that aspect of that J trade. I know he is much loved here. But last year he played 81 games and managed 26 points and -9 on a plus team.

Yes, he is checking the top lines a lot, but he is a defensive center, not really even two way.

He is devoid of playmaking skills. He has broken 20 goals once.

He is an NHL player because he can shut down and kill penalties. But that is not the kind of guy that needs to be overpaid.

I'd take him for a reasonable deal, but doesn't sound like he's looking for that.

Our own Nash put up 24 points and was an even player on the plus minus in fewer games played. And at a lot less $$ then Sutter seems to be looking for...

Sorry, but no.

:couch:

Edited by remkin

When Sutter was traded I remember reading him saying he was shocked. Trades are part of the game but sometimes they sting. If the scenario posted above is true I think Sutter is sending a signal he wants out of Pensland or he wants a contract on his terms.

I like Nash but if Sutter was available at a reasonable price, I go get him. He is a proven penalty killer and a tough to play against center. He is hockey smart and he also has a scoring touch in the right circumstance. I ask myself with the game on the line would I rather have the puck on Sutter's stick or Nash's stick. My answer is Sutter.

Despite my post, if Sutter were available at Nash money, I agree. We could create more of a checking third line and hope J. could find some more offense. But it would not appear Sutter is available at what I would call reasonable for a checking center. Plus, until J. shows a bit more offense, I'd like a third line center w/ at least some playmaking ability and Sutter isn't that. Further, we need help on the PP and Sutter isn't that either.

For the right money....only. Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Despite my post, if Sutter were available at Nash money, I agree. We could create more of a checking third line and hope J. could find some more offense. But it would not appear Sutter is available at what I would call reasonable for a checking center. Plus, until J. shows a bit more offense, I'd like a third line center w/ at least some playmaking ability and Sutter isn't that. Further, we need help on the PP and Sutter isn't that either.

For the right money....only. Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Your not going to get Sutter for Nash money. Sutter already makes $2 million. A guess 2.5-3.5 mil depending on contract length. I'm not sure you aren't short selling him on play-making skills. I think he plays to the role asked of him.

I still think Nash is going to be good, maybe even real good. I'm not unhappy with his play but Sutter at this point is much better.

Also remember that Nash is RF's guy...RF scouted him and convinced the powers that be to get him so I doubt he's going anywhere.

I think we are set at center...although if E moves to the wing...Hmmmmm.

$3.5 million/year better?

That's the question, isn't it? I doubt Sutter gets that much.

An interesting read on E. Staal out of Thunder Bay. Says he is working hard, happy to be in Carolina, wants the playoffs etc.

Making No Excuses by Leith Dunick

Staal is quick to shoulder his share of the blame – but not all of it.

“Partly it has to do with the way I need to be better on the ice. But also as a group we need to be better.

Well, Brandon is my favorite  ex-Canes player, and would be a solid  3rd line center.  That being said, we really need a RW to go on Jordan's line.  And we can't afford both. :(

Oh yeah. Sutter (with Gleason and LaRose) just about completes that SC roster. Let's get Jussi back too. Is Arturs Irbe available? Look, I know folks are reaching for any straw hoping this team will be competitive as it currently stands.

Fact is, other than a couple of players (who all had career lows last year) this team is made up of third and fourth line scrubs. It's bad folks. RF and PK stood pat and its going to cost them big time in attendance. They're hoping for a very high draft pick to give them something to sell to fans in 2015. I dont care if we had Gretzky in his prime on this team. It simply would not make a difference with this bunch.

Yeah, I'm down on the team. While it was not a stellar FA class, there were guys out there that could have helped. Between PKs cheapness and NTCs, I think we're screwed.

I keep hearing..."If we can get X player cheap...I think it's a good move."

There seems to be concerns about our 3rd and 4th lines (and getting cheap players to fill those roles), yet our 1 and 2 lines last year sucked and we never fixed them. We are going to get crushed, all while opposing fans sit in our arena laughing at us. Good thing I only pay $12 a ticket for my seats, otherwise I would have been gone three years ago.

I am not a cap geek. I read though that we have around $5.9 million in cap space w/ no RFA's left to sign.

Would seem we could make one or two more moves.

Obviously no blockbuster FA's out there, but Penner, even Lotkionov.

On Bellemore, if he will sign a cheap deal, why not? We need defensive depth and maybe Harrison could be traded at some point.

Brandon Sutter was issued a qualifying offer (at least $2.7m) by the Pens so it's going to cost anyone else who signs him draft picks.  Anything between $1.682m and $3.364m would be a 2nd round pick.  I read he's looking for between $3.75 and $4m, which would be a 1st and 3rd round pick.  No thanks.  If no other team makes Sutter an offer, what happens?  Does he either accept Pitts qualifying offer or sit out the year?  I just don't see anyone valuing him at much more than the $2.7m that Pitt offered him . . .

Would seem we could make one or two more moves..

Just one thing.  PK is asking for your patience.  Remember?  Just a few games or 1 less injury away.  1 game per month per RF.

Edited by wxray1

Brandon Sutter was issued a qualifying offer (at least $2.7m) by the Pens so it's going to cost anyone else who signs him draft picks.  Anything between $1.682m and $3.364m would be a 2nd round pick.  I read he's looking for between $3.75 and $4m, which would be a 1st and 3rd round pick.  No thanks.  If no other team makes Sutter an offer, what happens?  Does he either accept Pitts qualifying offer or sit out the year?  I just don't see anyone valuing him at much more than the $2.7m that Pitt offered him . . .

Don't you think there has to be more to this story then meets the eye?  I can't imagine Sutter will sit out a year. I can't imagine he would get that kind of money either.

Just one thing.  PK is asking for your patience.  Remember?  Just a few games or 1 less injury away.  1 game per month per RF.

That and the goalie injuries...

Thing is, even really good teams make moves to get better, some really good teams make big moves to get better.

Even if we subscribe to the idea that this team, when fully healty and better coached will be much better, we could always stand to improve.

I am hoping that RF is waiting to pick up a lower priced value piece still out there.

I read we had about $5.9 million in cap space as well.  Question is; does RF have that money to spend or has the brakes been put on him?  I would rather we stood still, as we did, during the FA frenzy than to go out and offer stupid contracts like the Capitals did.  That will bite them hard in a few years, and they will be dealing with the issues that we are dealing with now.  They got a hell of a deal on Orpik!! :sarcasmalert:

Its hard to read Francis. I suspect he has a move or two left by training camp but I'm thinking any substantial move will need to be by trade. I also suspect we are fast approaching the PK cap and that is the only one that counts.

We do have a few players on 2 way contracts. Under certain circumstances I could see a Murphy type starting the year in Charlotte until it sorts itself out.

Don't you think there has to be more to this story then meets the eye?  I can't imagine Sutter will sit out a year. I can't imagine he would get that kind of money either.

Yeah, the whole thing does seem a bit strange.  Even if Sutter feels under appreciated by the Pens (maybe he was looking for years?) someone else is going to have to better the qualifying offer, and I don't see much more $ on the table for him either (especially since a bidding team would have to give up picks to land him).  I guess if there are no other takers he could change his mind and accept the Pens qualifying offer if it's still out there. Seems like that's the risk he's taking.

I may take a peek over in the Pens forums to see if I can gain any insight there . . .

Interesting; another 6-figure AHL deal for the Canes.  Bellemore gets $175k AHL, $600k NHL.  Seems like a reasonable way to get players you'd like to keep around to accept 2-way deals which they might not otherwise. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Good point Lake, agreed.  Especially when the grass wasn't greener.

I'm ready for the new three...Slavin, Pesce, Carrick....on D.  Then there's Fleury.  Things are rolling along. :Tumbleweed:

Keep one eye open.

And speaking of one eye open, when are the Canes gonna make sure we can watch the Traverse City games?  All of them.  They need to fix that.  Seriously.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Nash had  a  steady year, as much as  i loved Sutter, no thanks.Bellemore is a good signing..  i got a feeling, long term, Chaisson is  going TO BE A PLAYER..