The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Oh snap Cam.......

Per Chip,

Ward was asked if it was tough for Muller to get message across to the team this year. Ward said, "For me ... I'm going to avoid that one."

That is a pretty condemning statement for a professional athlete!!!!  If others feel the same way, Muller HAS to go!!

That is a pretty condemning statement for a professional athlete!!!!  If others feel the same way, Muller HAS to go!!

But on the other side of it  E says "coaches did a good job".  Ward-0 also said he wants to be a Cane. Maybe he was just being diplomatic or maybe he didn't want to call out other players. Who knows. Yet Ward-0 avoidance did seem to indicate a problem. Maybe we will get more info as their full comments are revealed.

What I did notice is the veterans seem to be more unsure of their future with the Canes then some of the younger guys.

At what point is Muller held accountable for Jussi and Ruutu? More so Jussi. That was a great player with a great contract that we gave up. We claim he didn't fit the system causing a lack of production.

But then we have Eric, Jordan, and Semin now doing the same thing. Do they not fit the system either causing a lack of production? Are you not seeing a pattern here?

Don't forget Rosey in this equation...which is why the rumors were flying that he was so mad at Kirk's coaching style burying him on the 4th line that he didn't show up to the exit interviews last season...thus ending his NHL career.

If Kirk has really been the cause of running the fan favorites out of town either by trade or by their own volition, then he needs to be axed NOW!

You brought up LaRose.  Anyways, if there is one team that we can use as a prime example of what needs to happen to us it's the Blue Jackets.  Look at what happens when you're able and willing to play a physical game and you're also able to establish a fore check.  You make the playoffs.

You brought up LaRose.  Anyways, if there is one team that we can use as a prime example of what needs to happen to us it's the Blue Jackets.  Look at what happens when you're able and willing to play a physical game and you're also able to establish a fore check.  You make the playoffs.

Barely, and they have zero chance against the Penguins.  I do not want the Hurricanes to look anything like the Blue Jackets.  They would bore fans out of the arena.

Don't forget Rosey in this equation...which is why the rumors were flying that he was so mad at Kirk's coaching style burying him on the 4th line that he didn't show up to the exit interviews last season...thus ending his NHL career.

If Kirk has really been the cause of running the fan favorites out of town either by trade or by their own volition, then he needs to be axed NOW!

In fairness, Larose was a borderline 4th line player.  I will get behind Muller on that one.  He had one good season, that's it.

Barely, and they have zero chance against the Penguins.  I do not want the Hurricanes to look anything like the Blue Jackets.  They would bore fans out of the arena.

In fairness, Larose was a borderline 4th line player.  I will get behind Muller on that one.  He had one good season, that's it.

Are you sure they don't stand a chance?  Physical teams with a good goalie are the type of teams that go on deep playoff runs.  Ever heard of a team called the LA Kings?

But on the other side of it  E says "coaches did a good job".  Ward-0 also said he wants to be a Cane. Maybe he was just being diplomatic or maybe he didn't want to call out other players. Who knows. Yet Ward-0 avoidance did seem to indicate a problem. Maybe we will get more info as their full comments are revealed.

What I did notice is the veterans seem to be more unsure of their future with the Canes then some of the younger guys.

If all these players want to stay here, they need to play better.  They are getting large paychecks and crippling the franchise in the process.  No sympathy here.

Are you sure they don't stand a chance?  Physical teams with a good goalie are the type of teams that go on deep playoff runs.  Ever heard of a team called the LA Kings?

Whoa whoa whoa, lol.  That's like comparing the Hurricanes to the Blackhawks.  L.A. has a significant more amount of talent.  Kopitar, Richards, Carter, Gaborik, Williams, etc.  All those guys have scored 30+ goals.  There's a lot of skill on that team.  Can't say the same for Columbus.  They are also 0-5 against the Pens.

Good point, Bluedevil.  However, i think that Canes team was better than this Columbus team.  And that Bruins team wasn't as good as this Bruins team.  And as I recall, the Hurricanes that year were not the physical, tough forechecking team.

If anything, the last 4 champions proved you need talent, and you need to be at least 3-lines deep.  The Jackets might win 1 or 2 games, and Bob has to be a better player than Crosby and Malkin.

If all these players want to stay here, they need to play better.  They are getting large paychecks and crippling the franchise in the process.  No sympathy here.

You won't get an argument from me on this. I keep saying everything and everyone on the table. Something has to change. I'm only pointing out what I'm seeing thus far from the exit interviews. I don't have the answer or even suppose I do.

You won't get an argument from me on this. I keep saying everything and everyone on the table. Something has to change. I'm only pointing out what I'm seeing thus far from the exit interviews. I don't have the answer or even suppose I do.

Oh, I wasn't arguing or anything, just adding on to what you were saying.  Although i'm watching Eric's exit interview right now.  He was asked about how good the coaching staff was.  I mean, what was he suppose to say? "No, Muller sucks?"

Edited by PenaltyKiller17

Oh, I wasn't arguing or anything, just adding on to what you were saying.  Although i'm watching Eric's exit interview right now.  He was asked about how good the coaching staff was.  I mean, what was he suppose to say? "No, Muller sucks?"

I didn't think you were arguing with me. I was just trying to say your point was well taken by me. I agree E is too smart to publicly call out his coach. Lets face it in uncertain times they could both be back. I don't think that is likely but possible.

I did gain more respect for E after watching the exit interview. He seemed reflective but realistic about the future. I think he would like to stay and lead the team back but if he doesn't he wants to go to a playoff team. It appeared to me he knows change is coming and he doesn't know how everything will shake out. I might be reading too much into the interview but I don't think so.

Also, according to spector's hockey, the Islanders could trade Josh Bailey and a young defenseman for Cam.  Is there a chance that young defenseman could be Travis Hamonic?

Ward has a no trade clause and has publicly stated he wants to play here, but his statement (or lack of a statement) about the coach leads me to believe he would waive his NTC if Muller is still the coach.  Now, waiving it to go to the Islanders might be a stretch!

Ward has a no trade clause and has publicly stated he wants to play here, but his statement (or lack of a statement) about the coach leads me to believe he would waive his NTC if Muller is still the coach.  Now, waiving it to go to the Islanders might be a stretch!

Not really.  It's actually the perfect scenario in my opinion.  It's doubtful NYI re-sign either of their goaltenders, and they probably won't be able to attract the goaltender they need, because they're the Islanders.  And that's really one of a very few teams Cam could probably get traded to and still be the starting goaltender.

Have not seen anyone mention Malhotra----Great faceoff man, helping improve all Canes

centers at faceoffs---and tremendous veteran leadership skills !

What say you all ?

Edited by UNCCaniac8

He fizzled out pretty bad towards the 2nd half of the season.  I feel his veteran presents could be a positive.  Although with Nash and Loktionov bot RFA's, and if the hurricanes are serious about improving the team, I don't see him playing with us next season.

I think Malhotra stays. Veteran leadership. Appears to be respected. Will play the role given to him. Contract price will be right. I think he stays.

I think Malhotra stays. Veteran leadership. Appears to be respected. Will play the role given to him. Contract price will be right. I think he stays.

:goodpost:

From everything I've read, Malhotra has heart and character out the wazoo.  We need more veteran leadership, not less.  And the whole teams face off numbers significantly improved after he arrived. If we can re-sign him to a reasonable contract, by all means bring Manny back.  

Agree ! :thumbsup:

:goodpost:

From everything I've read, Malhotra has heart and character out the wazoo.  We need more veteran leadership, not less.  And the whole teams face off numbers significantly improved after he arrived. If we can re-sign him to a reasonable contract, by all means bring Manny back.  

Cam is not going anywhere, especially the Islanders.  He made it clear he was not interested in moving and this is his home.  We should be thankful for that, we could possibly have the best goal tending tandem in the league next year.