The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I'm one of the few Bellemore fans here so I am obviously pleased with this signing. I thought he played well last season and was one of the few guys we had that hit and brought some toughness along with fairly solid defense/PKing.

The Bellemore signing was excellent. Sure he's a depth guy. But he's a solid depth guy with some upside and we got him on a two way. I don't much care what they pay him in Charlotte, it will be signficantly less than the NHL. There may be a trick clearing waivers at some point if he goes up and down and up.

I know Harrrison is a bit of a fan favorite, but the way he played last year, we need a better option.

I am reminded of my favorite comedy movie Monty Python's Holy Grail. When the prince is in the tower and tells his father he isn't interested in tracts of land and his father says: Son, we live in a swamp. We need all the land we can get.

Thats how I feel about our current defensive depth. We just got a tract of land.

Edited by remkin

The bad of the Bellemore signing.  We have plenty of bottom pairing defensemen, and Bellemore is yet another.

The good of the Bellemore signing.  Bellemore could be the best bottom pairing defenseman on the roster.  There will be injuries in 30 NHL cities.  Ronnie may be able to move a guy like Harrison once that happens.

I agree with you rem. Good depth signing and should make for a good fight to capture those bottom spots in training camp. Without the game changer signing we had hoped for we need to at least ice a dependable defense.

I'm happy with the Bellemore signing. Remember he is still young and far away from his prime.I believe he is going to get better with more experience.

I don't think I would write off Harrison just yet. He is coming off a bad season and he is a bottom pair D-man but he can jump up when needed. The difference for him this year is he is really going to need to earn his spot. We have some options. He could be odd man out depending on our new D-coach and what he is looking for.

I'm more concerned about Gleason and Liles then Harrison and Bellemore. We know what we are getting with Harry and Belle and what we would expect. I think with Gleason we are expecting more then bottom pair and Liles needs to become that PP quarterback or step aside for Murphy.

That's how I see it. Still I would think some D-man will be moved in the upcoming season.

I'm really expecting nice things from Murphy.

He can quarterback the other PP unit, and bring 5/5 offense also. He has noticably special offensive talent gaining the zone, penetrating and making plays even on 5/5. He is still very young in "d-man years".

Peters has called his name already. He was a mid first rounder.

Like most dmen his age, he will still improve positionally, and while he's not going to knock anyones's lights out, he can stick to a guy and has a nice hip check.

Murphy and Lindholm will both take big steps forward this year, and of course.......my boy McGinn.

Chip has been tweeting some of what Peters said at his interview session today

Chip Alexander @ice_chip

Peters says PP could have Skinner, EStaal and Lindholm, with Semin at right point. Then Faulk or Murphy.

Peters says key is "getting five guys on the same page." Fans applaud that statement.

Peters says he plans to get the D more involved in the offense. "We have the guys on D to do that."

There is more. I think we are starting to get an idea of how he sees this team. At least going into training camp.

Peters says he plans to get the D more involved in the offense. "We have the guys on D to do that."

Then Faulk or Murphy.

If I owned Murphy stock I'd be rubbing my hands, smiling and licking my chops.

Wait, I do own Murphy stock.

But actually doing those things would be a little creepy.

But you get my point...

and he said he wanted to get Skinner to 40 goals.  We want to get Skinner to 40 goals!

While we're at it, let's get E and Semin to 40 goals too. They've both done it before!

And then let's get greedy. Tlustly was on a near 40 goal pace during the lockout year...

Wouldn't that be something?

Still a little concerned about the lack of replacing Ruutu's presence with someone as experienced and has a similar skill-set. However, I'm excited to see what a new coaching staff and a new GM does with the prospects in our system. Looks like we're giving them a real shot at being contributors in the NHL, unlike the past where more often than not, a prospect was used to plug a hole until that hole didn't need to be plugged anymore. Going to be exciting. Playoffs or not, we definitely are moving towards the right direction. Our D prospect pool is actually existent now. I'm still concerned about third line center, but McClement can take over that spot fine if Nash falters. And even so, it seems like we are going to skate our bottom 6 more often than we used to as well. Peters likes using ice-time as a tool for motivation as well as rewarding players who play how they're supposed to. So should our top-6 disappear one night, there's the chance our bottom-6 can get some of their ice-time and produce. 

It's scary though, because should our prospects coming in and getting the chance not show up, as we've seen in the past, it's going to be glaringly obvious we need to add a third line center who can make plays offensively as well as he can back-check and play defensively. I think with a new staff behind the bench, and Brindy back behind that bench as well as opposed to being in the press box, that players we already have will get shots in roles that they may feel more comfortable or more capable in, resulting in better point production and better overall play.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Still a little concerned about the lack of replacing Ruutu's presence with someone as experienced and has a similar skill-set.

So you are worried that there is nobody to run into people out of the play and not score?  That's about all Ruutu has done lately.  I have been a Ruutu fan, but over time, it appeared that many times he would try (and fail) to make a hit and avoid making a positive hockey play.  I do agree that the Canes need a more physical edge, but Ruutu wasn't bringing it in a positive way.  At least that's the way I see it.

Murphy has the offense to make the team now.  His defense (based on last year) needs more development.  I'm curious to see what Murph brings in camp.

Agree with SD, Bellemore is now likely our best bottom-pairing defenseman.

I'm liking Peters more every day.  Just feels like he has a "plan" that can get the most out of these players.

Edited by coastal_caniac

LOL, yeah, I hear ya.

Still, to me anyway, Peters just comes across as being one-step ahead in the way he thinks, which is refreshing.

I have no idea how that will translate to the one-ice product, but I do have high hopes for his coaching "style", at least thus far. 

It's also nice to see some of the prospects like McGinn, PDG, and Brown all get some praises from the coach.  Hopefully we are just beginning to see some light shine on the prospect grave yard.

Now if Boychuk and Murph can break out, it gets even more interesting.  Still not sold on that D though.

Countdown to training camp......the boring hockey summer is only a few weeks from over.

Edited by coastal_caniac

So you are worried that there is nobody to run into people out of the play and not score?  That's about all Ruutu has done lately.  I have been a Ruutu fan, but over time, it appeared that many times he would try (and fail) to make a hit and avoid making a positive hockey play.  I do agree that the Canes need a more physical edge, but Ruutu wasn't bringing it in a positive way.  At least that's the way I see it.

Totally agree.  I love Ruutu, but half the time his big hits were in the zone opposite the puck.   :thumbdown:

I'm not talking about Ruutu when he sucked. And to focus in on just when he sucked because it was the most recent form he was in here is unfair to Ruutu. Anyways I was alluding to the role he was slotted to fill, physical winger who was responsible on both sides of the puck and could score. Granted him not filling that role towards the end of his tenure here doesn't really make it a whopping loss to not replace him, but it does mean we still need that role filled. 

But as I went on to say, it seems our younger guys are getting a shot to step into needed roles on this team's forward corps.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Anyways I was alluding to the role he was slotted to fill, physical winger who was responsible on both sides of the puck and could score. 

I personally never liked the idea that we only needed one player of that type.  I'm not saying that's what you said, just that previous management seemed inclined to think that way.  Our line up was filled with tiny gnats and fragile flowers, with at most one forward who was asked to play a physical game.  He's only on the ice one every four shifts, and somehow he's supposed to make the other team worry about getting hit all by himself. Ruutu's play definitely diminished over time, but I personally think anyone's would have. 

I'm not talking about Ruutu when he sucked. And to focus in on just when he sucked because it was the most recent form he was in here is unfair to Ruutu. Anyways I was alluding to the role he was slotted to fill, physical winger who was responsible on both sides of the puck and could score. Granted him not filling that role towards the end of his tenure here doesn't really make it a whopping loss to not replace him, but it does mean we still need that role filled.

But as I went on to say, it seems our younger guys are getting a shot to step into needed roles on this team's forward corps.

I guess you skipped over the parts where I said I was a Ruutu fan, how his play had been lately, and the Canes need a more physical edge. Unfair to Ruutu? I don't think so. It's amazing the "yelp" you get around here when you step on somebody's pet player's toes. Edited by super_dave_1

Ruutu was a tale of two players in Carolina. 

His early tenure starting off with taking massive facial stitches on half his face and coming back to finish the game, to that next (first full) season where he put up 26 goals and 54 points and hit everything in site, hard. That guy made plays that don't show up on the score sheet. He hit so hard that guys would try to play the puck too quick or get knocked off the puck by him, then the puck would end up in the net. No assist, but really, he made the play happen.  And something else, it was fun to watch.

That guy lined up hits that mostly were on target to disrupt the play, and even if not, made you think next time. He was the very definition of why a physical hockey team can win over a higher skilled non physical team. 

Then two years later he put up 57 points and was the same guy, affecting plays, scoring, even added playmaking.

Unfortunately, injuries got ahold of him. Leading up to and coming back from his hip surgeries. HIP surgeries (plural) for a hockey player, he was just not the same player. And it hurt. Last year, he was part of the problem. He was being paid for 50 points, he give us 16 and NJ 8.  

The point about replacing Ruutu is a fair one to me. When I wrote my positive predictions for last year, I was counting on Ruutu to come back to the form he was being paid for. He did not, and along with a few key other guys falling flat, it lead to picking #7. 

30 more points and the old ,on target Ruutu, would have helped last year. The notion of that guy being there has not really been replaced is to me accurate. Loktionov did come in and put some points up and help the PP at the end (we actually finished decently over the last 10-12 games), but for now at least, he is also gone and has not been replaced.

So when you do the old adding up all the parts and comparing with last year and the year before, what we really have is the same team, minus Ruutu/Loktionov. Now I expect Lindholm to step up, and maybe a Boychuk, or McGinn or someone we still haven't picked up to help, but that is a fair equation to consider.

Someone else will have to step up. But whom? I see no one that will bang and put up 50 points at this point (outside of J, who is already factored in). Right now I'll just take the points. Boychuk? 50 would be a pretty big stretch at this point. 

One reason I wonder about why no one seems to want Dustin Penner. Maybe not put up 50 but capable of it and a big body. 

I think Lindholm will really step up, and if E, Semin, J, and Tlustly get back to form w/ him and Skinner stays on track and plays a little D and passes a bit more...then add one guy we don't see coming...it could still be good.

Ruutu was, especially when he was on his game, my favorite Cane. He had a love of the game and great attitude to go with his physicality to go with his scoring. If we had 2008-20011 Ruutu it would make a huge difference. But we don't and that will be missed, just like it was last year.
Edited by remkin

I was in the building on Ruutu's first night and he immediately became one of my favorites. Rem, you are spot on with the evaluation. What I will add is the the Canes need more than one player to have this kind of impact on the ice. There are some big players on the roster that play small. I think we can all agree who these guys are.

I think McGinn can be that kind of player, but may need another year of development and strengthening. He plays big, but I guess is not at all big. I'm a broken record on him and Penner, but that's the type of guy I thinking. Even if Boychuk comes in and finally clicks offensively, he is not a physical guy. 

This year's team is apparently going to have to follow Peters recent comments about intimidating with speed and work ethic. That can work, but it hasn't worked lately.

BTW not much mention of McGinn at camp. Anybody see him? Looking good?