The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

McGinn didn't stand out to me, but it's just a development camp, and he really didn't use his whole skill set, particularly the physical part.  Nice hands around the net and seems to be one of those guys that just knows where to be in tight and can get there.

Ones that did were PDG and Brown. 

Fluery really skates well for a big guy, and he is huge.  Also liked what I saw from Slavin on D.

Will be interesting to see who stands out at the Traverse City Tourney.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Thanks Coastal. Couldn't make it this year. 

Can't wait until Fleury is ready. Just can't imagine it's this year. 

I really wish a guy like Fleury could do one more year of Juniors then AHL for the next year, then NHL. 

Very good to hear Di Guiseppe looked good. I wonder why he didn't impress more at Michigan. 

Brown? Never heard of him. If he played at BC must be at least decent. I wonder why he wasn't drafted. This year's Jeremy Welsh?

So many questions....

Still, I want to see McGinn show his stuff at training camp and Traverse City.

Edited by remkin

As I posted before, Brown was the captain at BC so he must bring some intamgibles as well.

Other teams reportedly wanted to sign him but Brown felt Carolina was his best chance to have an impact/make the team.

The source was a long time ago so...

Anyway, glad to hear he looked good since he was sort of a dark-horse of mine that flew under the radar.

I just hope need doesn't make them rush some of these younger guys to Raleigh that would be better off being slow cooked for a while longer.  The organization needs a culture change.  Rushing kids to the NHL because they aren't old enough for Charlote isn't good.  Depending on a 20 year old, 5'11", 185 lb young man to provide team toughness is asking a lot.  I have hopes for McGinn, but you can't lay all that on a prospect that age.  Because the organization has done such a terrible job of drafting (outside of the top 45 or so picks) and developing players, they have rushed every prospect with any potential.  It has worked out well in a couple of cases, but would those players have been better off learning to be a pro for a year or two first?

rem, thanks so much to you, s_d_1 and coastal for "educating" me to the nuances of messaging! As I am at home presently, I haven't been able to apply my new found knowledge, but soon.

I wanted to reply to your observation above on McGinn and his size/ability to deliver a hit or more importantly, to be able to separate another from the puck. It appears, and I'm sure this is "preaching to the choir", that  my misconception in my pleas for size confuses bulk with precision. By this, I mean that the holy grail of "grit" has as much to do with "precision and timeliness" of any hit rather than the actual force(read mass) behind the hit. That being said, it seems that a well timed hit creating separation of player and the puck, is really what we are after. Random "hits", as Ruu was inclined to deliver during his later days with us, looked and sounded nice, even getting the crowd in a frenzy, apparently did not produce the other, more desired effect.

Back to McGinn, for those reasons, he may not have to be a hulk to be effective on this team. Rather know when and how to deliver? Now I'll be the 1st to admit that I envision large size with the need this team has, but I think that's why I get corrected so often.

We have some big guys on the team that have size and could play more physical, a couple of Staals come to mind.  The only big hit I can remember EStaal having was on his brother Marc.

I think McGinn is one of those guys that is just a "hockey player". Kind of like John Madden talked about "a football player".  A guy who just plays the game "the right way".  He may not posses huge size or elite skills, but he plays fast and hard and clearly has some skill given the points he put up in Juniors last season. 

It is almost never a given for any but the most elite prospects that a guy will translate to the NHL until they've played and succeeded in the NHL, but last year McGinn just moved and played like an NHL player, then went out an lit up Juniors, so my expectations are high.

He may or may not be a Ruutu-like rock your world hitter, but I'm betting he is a nice all around player who can score and play physical. At worst a solid third liner with upside. 

Still, at 20 he may be just the guy to go to Charlotte for a year, maybe w/ a call up or two this year, then go from there. 

I will admit that for him to make the big club out of camp he's going to need to really impress big, and that will include scoring. 

I just loved him last year's camp, and can't wait to see what he brings this year, even if he does start in Charlotte.

Would be nice to see some guys come out of camp who could win a puck battle, control the puck and yes eventually put one in the back of the net... all three ingredients that last year team did not have....

Winnik to the Leafs for one year at 1.3 million.

I thought he would be a good fit here but oh well...

I think PDG is a pure scorer with speed, good shot, and offensive instincts. I think the knock on him was a lack of complete game, consistency, and the need for him to add strength and engage more. I think they were a little disappointed with his development last year but it sounds like he has made strides.

The best thing I heard from the recent camp is that he is "going to the net." We need more of that from veteran players who have the ability to do so.

Yeah, I can't add much except we picked him, he went off to Michigan, and did OK, but not great. Was supposedly inconsistent. I think we picked him for sort of physical skills, and upside more than anything. He's supposed to be quick, skilled, shifty, good hands, good shot, etc.

But his lack of eye popping stats in college, for a guy who was supposed to score, just sort of left him under my radar. 

It is good to see that he looked good in camp. I think he'll need to look really good in Traverse and training camp not to go to Charlotte, but here's a guy, like McGinn, that might go to Charlotte and develop a bit more, then make the jump. Maybe he'll be a better pro than he was a collegiate. He supposedly has the skill set.

Edited by remkin

I thought we would pick up one more player who could make an impact this year but I'm starting to change my mind after seeing many of the "value" players getting picked up for very little $ but hearing nothing out of Raleigh except crickets..

Derek Roy, C, $1m to the Preds ($4m salary last year)

Lee Stempniak, RW, $900k to the Rangers ($2.5m last year)

David Booth, RW, $1.1m to the Leafs ($4.75m last year but bought out by the Nucks)

David Winnik (RW), Dustin Penner (LW), and Peter Mueller (RW) are still available, but I'm starting to wonder if the brass is maybe content to see how things shake out this year knowing that next year's draft is super strong if things don't work out.  I hope not  . . .

Winnik to the Leafs for one year at 1.3 million.

I thought he would be a good fit here but oh well...

Sigh . . .  That leaves only Mueller and Penner out there from my original list. 

I could almost see some sense in management (not the coaches or team) letting off the accelerator this year knowing that there are 2 kids in next years draft that could potentially help turn a franchise into long term contenders. The thinking would go something like this: we already have some good young talent, so use next year (now that we hopefully have a quality long term coach) to winnow out who is not going to be part of our long term plan.  Even if we do poorly, hopefully we get the 1st or 2nd pick in next year's draft, and use that to jump start the kind of turnaround that Chicago and Pitt made several years back.

I see us as more or less standing pat so far while many of the other "bottom dwellers" got better, which would presumably help towards that 1st or 2nd draft pick.  But here's the big problem: even though we didn't make any big moves, I think we were a much better team than our record last year.  I base that not just on the talent we had, but on the fact that I thought we had many more games where we outplayed the other team but lost than where the other team outplayed us but we won.  I'd guess that differential was about the difference between us making the playoffs and picking 7th.  I have no idea why we lost so many games where we basically outplayed the other team. Coaching? Bad luck? Lack of focus?  Whatever it was, I don't expect a repeat this year.  So my fear is that even though we will do better this year by winning the games we "earn", other teams will do better due to offseason moves, and we'll end up missing the playoffs by just a couple of points. 

My feeling is that given the coaching change, just one additional player (I'd have loved to have picked up Roy,Stempniak, or Winnik, especially at the $ they signed for) would have given us a real shot at being very competitive next season.  We could still get there, but 1 additional piece would go a long way towards making that a reality imo. 

Paging Mueller?  Paging Peter Mueller?  :crossfingers:

Edited by LakeLivin

Borrowing from SuperDave's Many Faces of Kirk Muller, I think we have moved on.  Peters yells a lot and gets in players faces, and I'm pretty sure he was teaching, not coaching.

YkAa7J.jpg

Go Canes

Edited by coastal_caniac

Well it's going to have to be that face that gets it done, because otherwise it's pretty much the same team.

I do expect Murphy and Lindholm to take major steps, but add that to last year's team: not enough.

Same team. Minus Loktionov that is.

I still think that this team has way more than we've seen the last two years....

But I've thought that before. It's all on that guy up there to bring it out.

Edited by remkin

I'll take your word for it I guess

Translation...sort of

Alexander Semin married!

Congratulations to Alexander Semin wedding day! Hockey club "Sokol" wishes newlyweds Sasha and Alena boundless happiness. Let your house be filled with sunshine and warmth, albeit never leave his love and joy, let it ring happy children laughter.

Staal's having surgery on a core muscle, whatever that means. Abs? I dunno.

Says he'll be ready by season's start, however I feel like it's same poop different day in terms of our teams health.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=727336

Another "slow start" in the waiting.  Time for someone else to step up and lead. 

I'm done with #12.

Kinda vague on just what the injury is.

Core muscle injuries, formerly known as sports hernia, include a number of variants.

Whatever it is it doesn't sound pleasant.

I was thinking last night about our current players. At this point I could give a rats backside about who makes the team this year. I am more concerned about the " newbies " reaction to the progress of the players to the new style and the success or failure of the season. The newbies being Francis and Peters. How does the coach and the front office react to the players who step up, and particularly  the reaction to those who don't. I was interested to see how they reacted to the usual Staal fade. I never saw the preseason excuse. Oh well, I guess we will see what shakes out this year.