The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

:unsure: I'm confused.  Do some of you guys think that:

A. Staal didn't really have surgery on a muscle he injured while training, that they just made that up so they'd have an excuse?

or

B. Staal did injure injure the muscle, but did it on purpose so he'd have an excuse if he doesn't perform up to expectations?

I'm just trying to figure out where you're coming from. Because to me, working out hard in the offseason would seem like something you'd want committed players to do . . .   

Edited by LakeLivin

Sure sounds like a Hernia if I've ever heard.

Inadequate stretching (rolling) can cause muscles to stick together by scar tissue and rip when put through a difficult strain.  I would have guessed it but the way its worded I'd say its a Hernia.

No matter how you slice it he wont be in the condition he might have been in if this had not occurred.

Being able to suit up does not mean excellent game shape for a forward that already finds it difficult to back-check.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for holding E accountable for his production this year.  But let's criticize him for when he's slacking off, not apparently working hard. 

I found this paragraph from ESPN insider columnist Doug Mittler to be interesting (and good for Peters):

"The name of Eric Staal has been floated in trade rumors for months, and the Carolina Hurricanes' captain didn’t enhance his value by tallying just 61 points in 79 games, his lowest in a full season since his rookie season of 2003-2004.

The Hurricanes have not been to the postseason since 2009 and have turned the page with the hiring of Bill Peters, who takes over as coach for dismissed Kirk Muller. Peters will not be treating Staal with kid gloves, only adding to speculation that the 29-year-old center is no longer a franchise cornerstone. Speaking to an estimated 3,500 fans who turned out for a team event on Saturday, Peters was blunt in his assessment of some Canes players. Peters noted Staal scored one power-play goal last season and called it "unacceptable," wrote Chip Alexander of the News Observer."

If the Hurricanes start slowly, expect the heat to build on Staal, who is on the hook for $9.25 million this year and $9.5 million in 2015-16. There was some buzz earlier this summer that the New York Rangers could make a move for Staal, but the cap hit makes that very unlikely.

If it is a hernia it depends on what type of surgery he has. Average wait time for full exercise is 4-6 weeks. I rather have this taken care of now than in the first week of the season!!

I believe RF and PK are done. Remember they like our team. I don't think RF wants to take any more flyers until he and Peters have time to evaluate the existing pieces.Look for the movement once the brass has sufficient time to evaluate the entire team. No point to add more pieces to the team with what is left from unsigned talent.This I truly believe will be the season of change. 2015/2016 team will be a completely restructured team.

If it is a hernia it depends on what type of surgery he has. Average wait time for full exercise is 4-6 weeks. I rather have this taken care of now than in the first week of the season!!

I believe "core muscle" injury is the new accepted (medical) terminology for what has previously been known as a "sports hernia".

Edited by coastal_caniac

Peter Mueller just signed with the Blues.  Scratch his name from any list of camp invites.

I surely wish people would give references to their citations!! Haha, just messing with you coastal, but I can't find where this is announced?

I surely wish people would give references to their citations!! Haha, just messing with you coastal, but I can't find where this is announced?

Fair enough, LOL.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/24641739/peter-mueller-to-attempt-nhl-comeback-with-st-louis-blues

Edited by coastal_caniac

Thank you both, I was just having fun. I am somewhat disappointed in the news, as I'd hoped The reports that he was going to "try out somewhere" may have been with us? Oh well' another one bites the dust.

Blues seems like a tough roster to strut your stuff on imo. Ours would have afforded him constant 3rd line time with occasional 2nd line opportunities if he still had the goods.

I believe RF and PK are done. Remember they like our team. I don't think RF wants to take any more flyers until he and Peters have time to evaluate the existing pieces.Look for the movement once the brass has sufficient time to evaluate the entire team. No point to add more pieces to the team with what is left from unsigned talent.This I truly believe will be the season of change. 2015/2016 team will be a completely restructured team.

I think your right in regards to the moves being over for now. It sure does look like the next step is evaluation before deciding on what if any moves are made; I guess if a deal to good to be true comes along we might make a move but I'm not counting on it.

I'm not sure if the 2015/16 team will be completely restructured but I do agree that I think changes are coming.

:unsure: I'm confused.  Do some of you guys think that:

A. Staal didn't really have surgery on a muscle he injured while training, that they just made that up so they'd have an excuse?

or

B. Staal did injure injure the muscle, but did it on purpose so he'd have an excuse if he doesn't perform up to expectations?

I'm just trying to figure out where you're coming from. Because to me, working out hard in the offseason would seem like something you'd want committed players to do . . .   

None of that.  Come on, "A" is bogus.  Not saying that at all.  "B", no.  That's not Eric.  Eric is an upstanding guy.   If anything he "hides" injuries, but they all do.  Although it is worth noting that Kane and Toews swallowed their man-pride and sat out the end of the season for the Hawks and didn't try to play hero while hurt.  This helped the Hawks go far in the postseason.

I'm tired of our guys getting injured working out.  Why?  Why is this happening?  Are they getting good advice?

It is FRUSTRATION.  Staal lately always has some baggage coming into the season.  That's just my frustration with him.  Saying "I'm done" with him was going too far.  I'm frustrated at, with, and for him.

But bigger yet, this team always starts out with a lot of injuries amongst *many* players whether through luck or not.  It is a bad and damaging trend.  All teams have injuries.  We seem to have a lot.

So Lake, if anything, I'm wondering about overtraining more than anything.

Edited by wxray1

None of that.  Come on, "A" is bogus.  Not saying that at all.  "B", no.  That's not Eric.  Eric is an upstanding guy.   If anything he "hides" injuries, but they all do.  Although it is worth noting that Kane and Toews swallowed their man-pride and sat out the end of the season for the Hawks and didn't try to play hero while hurt.  This helped the Hawks go far in the postseason.

I'm tired of our guys getting injured working out.  Why?  Why is this happening?  Are they getting good advice?

It is FRUSTRATION.  Staal lately always has some baggage coming into the season.  That's just my frustration with him.  Saying "I'm done" with him was going too far.  I'm frustrated at, with, and for him.

But bigger yet, this team always starts out with a lot of injuries amongst *many* players whether through luck or not.  It is a bad and damaging trend.  All teams have injuries.  We seem to have a lot.

So Lake, if anything, I'm wondering about overtraining more than anything.

Ok wxray, thanks for the clarification. :cheers:

Looks like LaRose will be going to Charlotte

SI.com

Checkers coach Jeff Daniels said LaRose will be a mentor for the up-and-coming players in Charlotte: “He’ll be a top player. He’s a guy that has scored at the NHL level. The way he can lead by example, the way he works, his personality, the way he prepares … now he can be an example to the young kids coming up.”

Looks like LaRoce will be going to Charlotte

SI.com

You know what? If he is ready to slog it out and show what he can bring, fine. But he better not sniff the top 6 of the Hurricanes roster, ever.

Oh wait...LaRoce. I was thinking LaRose! OK never mind.

Just kidding.

Edited by remkin

You know what? If he is ready to slog it out and show what he can bring, fine. But he better not sniff the top 6 of the Hurricanes roster, ever.

Oh wait...LaRoce. I was thinking LaRose! OK never mind.

Just kidding.

Out of sight almost out of mind..lol, I fixed it

Ok there is nothing else going on. IMO our lines are about as set as a warm bowl of Jello on a hot August day. I doubt even our coaches know exactly what they are going to do yet. Francis said early on when asked about lines that you paired two players and the third became easier. My guess is they will go into camp with that philosophy and try to decide which players they don't want to split up and then figure out who is best to join them. I really don't think anything is set yet.

I don't think they will split Tlusty and Semin up

LaRose is going to start in Charlotte, If he even gets in the mix it will be later.

I think Terry and Boychuk will be ahead of Chad in the early going on the depth charts

You have Semin and Gerbe skating off wing. They can both probable do it but I doubt they will.

We could move Lindy to center. Thats what we drafted him for. I don't think he is ready but maybe.

There is speculation we could put the Staals togerther

It looks doubtful but we could make a move or signing before training camp.

I can't even guess what our lines will look like at this point.

It looks doubtful but we could make a move or signing before training camp.

Philly, Chicago, Boston, and Tampa are all over the cap.  One of them might wanna dump some salary(a 2nd line RW would be good)

Philly, Chicago, Boston, and Tampa are all over the cap.  One of them might wanna dump some salary(a 2nd line RW would be good)

I think your right about the opportunity. I'm not sure we have the inclination to take advantage of another teams cap problem. I suppose it will depend on our own internal budget or as I like to refer to it as the PK cap. I sure would like our chances better if we could add one more top 6 player, either at RW or Center.

I

I think your right about the opportunity. I'm not sure we have the inclination to take advantage of another teams cap problem. I suppose it will depend on our own internal budget or as I like to refer to it as the PK cap. I sure would like our chances better if we could add one more top 6 player, either at RW or Center.

All things considered, I also think 1 more piece could make us very competitive this year.

I originally thought we'd add that piece through free agency.  I know it might be tough to draw FAs to Raleigh, but I thought Roy or Stempniak would have been nice pieces at even half again what they ended up signing for.  Winnik and Booth were 2 more that could have helped imo if we could have drawn one here.  Mueller signed a 2-way contract with the Blues so I'm sure he was cheap.  On the one hand, he gets to play with a clear contender.  On the other hand, seems like it would have been easier for him to prove himself in his comeback attempt in Carolina than in St. Louis. 

But now I don't think anything else will happen. Why would we trade assets (or pick up a bad contract) from one of the cap constrained teams when we could have instead presumably added a good player at a reasonable from the UFA market?

Two caveats to the above: unless RF maybe did pursue some of the UFAs but couldn't draw them here.  Or maybe didn't even pursue Roy or Stempniak thinkingthey were out of his price range, not realizing they might be had for a lot less than I think most would have guessed.

I wouldn't be surprised in Loktionov is still a possibility, the Canes just waiting till after he's healed to make an offer.