The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

.....I hope the changes in the front office and a new coaching staff can reignite something.  I really hope so.  If we don't make the playoffs, fine, just show me improvement and win home games. Fix the PP.  Don't let guys run over your goalie.  Quit dumping and chasing.  Work dadgum hard and for gosh sakes, stick up for the other guys on your team.

I'm tired of posting the same old thing, so I'll hang up and listen.

+1  This says it all.

I really think coaching was a major factor the past 2 seasons.  However, I'm not excusing the players who must be held accountable. IMO almost all under performed across the board, exceptions exist like Khudobin and Sekera (who JR brought to Raleigh, btw).  Don't get me started on the dogs who actually quit trying because they were not used properly (in their minds), namely Jussi.  It's ok to feel misused, but totally unacceptable to quit, or just go through the motions.

If Peters doesn't get results it is decisively apparent a blowup is necessary, and totally the fault of the players - especially the leaders who failed the last 2 years to set a tone of "whatever it takes"

Bottom line on all the postulating is that you can't put a shine a s**t.  We'll know as will Ronnie what kind of team we have by T/Giving.  If it ain't good the only question will be is what is Ronnie prepared to do about it.  Especially so for Eric and Cam if one or both don't get out of the gate strong.

Actually, on MythBusters a few years ago they were able to give some a shine. 

It will be interesting to see if Peters can bring an "us vs world" mentality to the team,  Given the fact the team has underperformed for so long I do not see him bringing much change to what, in essence, is the same team as last year's team.

How many people were excited when we traded for Jordan? How many were excited when we signed Semin? PK and JR went all in to get a group they thought were close over the top. I think RF has done the right thing this offseason. We have talented players if they play to their potential. But Ronnie resisted the opportunity to trade picks and prospects to dump bad contracts and replace departed players with UFAs. If the guys come around, and ever the optimist, I think they can with a disciplinarian for a coach, we could surprise. Otherwise we could be near th top in a loaded draft, and next year, some of the more big $ contracts will be about to expire and easier to move.

We are already spending $27 million on 4 forwards this year. Should RF have doubled down with a big contract for one more? With new leadership, it's time for this group to score on the PP, commit to playing 2-way hockey, and show some toughness. I think the handwriting is on the wall that there will be serious consequences for failure and lackadaisical play this year. If we do fail, I think we will build around our younger core, and the Staal era will be over in Raleigh. I prefer to see these guys get it done, but I can live with it either way. I believe everyone who thought Ronnie would be JR 2 was mistaken.

Depth definitely is an issue.

The lock out year debacle was pretty much all about that to me. The injuries were massive, the injury issue was legit, half the defense and the goalie out, but the depth....not good.

Last year I just can't blame injuries. Yes, the top 2 goalies went down, and to the extent that a fixed consistant #1 goalie would have helped, maybe we pick 10 instead of 7. But Peters played great, then decent then a couple not so good, but the combined goalie play was not the problem. Other injuries seemed more like league average type thing.

Lack of depth last year was lack of regular scoring depth. When the big boys didn't produce, pretty much no one stepped up much.

The idea of work hard and don't dump and chase too much and play harder at home, and fix teh PP, and don't let guys run your goalie, might be fixable by the coach and a few key players (Gleason, etc) getting back to that a bit more.

I think it is very reasonable to be apprehensive about this year. While I can excuse the lockout year, I really can't excuse last year except to the extent that it was bad coaching. Injuries do not cut it as an excuse last year. Sorry PK, not buying that one. It was not injuries that made our PP stink out loud.

This same group is going to have to find something they didn't have last year. The fact that so many guys were so far off their usual production suggests it is possible that a new coach could fix it. The fact that they didn't get it done in the past suggests that they might fail again. I think both are reasonable guesses.

The fact that the media have us dead last, is to be expected. But the real chance for a surprise this year is much higher IMHO than people think. Doesn't mean it will happen this time, but it is not a snowball's chance king of thing. There is enough firepower. Fix that PP, and some of the other things on Coastal's list, and this group really could surprise.

Now I'm not about to write another manefesto about it, but the talent is there if the coach can get it to work hard and together.

I'd almost prefer the 30th finish. A good shot at Connor McDavid? Skinner, Faulk and Lindholm hitting their peak?  Ward and Staal either back in form, or on the way out the door?  That would be a season.  Of course, if Coach Peters can pull a miracle, i wouldn't ask for a refund on my season tickets, :woohoo:

How many people were excited when we traded for Jordan? How many were excited when we signed Semin? PK and JR went all in to get a group they thought were close over the top. I think RF has done the right thing this offseason. We have talented players if they play to their potential. But Ronnie resisted the opportunity to trade picks and prospects to dump bad contracts and replace departed players with UFAs. If the guys come around, and ever the optimist, I think they can with a disciplinarian for a coach, we could surprise. Otherwise we could be near th top in a loaded draft, and next year, some of the more big $ contracts will be about to expire and easier to move.

We are already spending $27 million on 4 forwards this year. Should RF have doubled down with a big contract for one more? With new leadership, it's time for this group to score on the PP, commit to playing 2-way hockey, and show some toughness. I think the handwriting is on the wall that there will be serious consequences for failure and lackadaisical play this year. If we do fail, I think we will build around our younger core, and the Staal era will be over in Raleigh. I prefer to see these guys get it done, but I can live with it either way. I believe everyone who thought Ronnie would be JR 2 was mistaken.

I thought JR overpaid for JStaal in the trade (especially with a lockout looming) and I thought JR over reached with the 2nd Semin contract after watching him play a quarter of a season in a Canes sweater.  It's not like we were all jumping for joy.  PK and JR may have thought they were going all in, but they were doing it while wearing rose colored glasses.

Ronnie is having to play out a bad hand.  There is no other way to look at it, but he can't tell us that.

super_dave,  I'm not sure what you mean by "being in Buffalos shoes going forward", but from where I sit, they're looking pretty set. Their drafts for the last few, to me, are enviable and have the size to make some noise, maybe not this year, but certainly very soon. Please correct my thinking??

super_dave,  I'm not sure what you mean by "being in Buffalos shoes going forward", but from where I sit, they're looking pretty set. Their drafts for the last few, to me, are enviable and have the size to make some noise, maybe not this year, but certainly very soon. Please correct my thinking??

Oh no, I meant that the Sabres are in much better shape going forward, and have 3 first rounders next year.  They have solidified their future defense issues and had a clean slate basically this year.  I'd much rather be in their shoes.

Why can't you people read my mind and translate what I wrote into what I meant :rolleyes:

Edited by super_dave_1

sd, you're just too complicated!!!

And rem, I saw that and felt the same shiver run down my back too!! If for no other reason, this is why the team needs to make some noise this year!! Haha

I noticed the 5'10" thing too, but I didn't take the bait since I have beat the size drum forever.  It's just a long range guess at best, but I agree with something I heard prior to the NFL draft.  It's a big man's game.  If you are going to make a mistake, make it "big".  Hockey is a bit different, but size matters.

Edited by super_dave_1

Well I was kind of kidding.  :razz:

Getting a bit heavy in here!  :shock: .

When I have to use a sarcasm alert for a complaint about the exact pick in next year's draft!!  :letssee:

Need some of that SD humor up in here.  :banana: .

I will say this. Whomever finishes last is guaranteed a super-star, can't miss because Jack Eichel is right there w/ Connor McDavid.

But last. That's a mighty price to pay. The only way that happens with this talent is a full on collapse followed by a blow up gutting. 

Can't join those who think that's the plan, or those who almost seem to want that. 
It does kind of kill me that if I suggest we don't necessarily play our hurt best players at the end of the year to pick a few spots higher I catch holy heck. But people are fine in thinking that the plan is to flat out stink all year to get the top pick are ok.

OK now I've gone and done it.  :gunhead:

Edited by remkin

I often read the posts and usually I don't respond but find it impossible to remain silent any longer. The amount of doom and gloom over the upcoming season and team is just mind blowing. Training camp has yet to even begin and so many of you so called true fans are already talking about next years draft. Give me a break. I understand the past seasons have been hard to take and no one is more disappointed than me but I at least maintain my optimism about the future and direction of where we are heading. We have two #1 goalies and a great core of players. Yes I know Ward is a question mark, but if he even comes close to what he is capable of, then the pair of them will be one of the best duo's in the league. At least wait until we see the product on ice before throwing in the towel. We don't need every high priced free agent that's out there every year. If Peter's is as good as I think he will be, I think the work ethic and defense will be much improved and I firmly believe that if we are in contention when it is time to add pieces, then PK and RF will do just that. You guys can beat me up if you want but all I ask is for all the doom and gloom to stop at least for the short term until such time as it may be warranted. I, for one think we will be back in the playoffs and a serious contender in our division.

CharlotteCanesFan, all they have to do is show me on the ice.  I've had all the Kool Ade that I can stomach.  I'd rather be surprised than disappointed...again.

Try being a fan over the past 15 years. Given our current contracts and pool of prospects. The future is bleak. We do not have one defensive minded d man that will be NHL ready for the next 2 years. Not one.

Our prospect pool is terrible. Our only hope is that either Boy chuck or McGinn play a pivotal role. Otherwise we're screwed. Our bottom 6 is just too weak.

And lighten up.

PK is going to sell the Canes!

Hockey doesn't belong in the South!

Carolina is moving to Quebec city!

Only Original 6 teams matter!

How's that, did I lighten the mood?  :)

PK is going to sell the Canes!

Hockey doesn't belong in the South!

Carolina is moving to Quebec city!

Only Original 6 teams matter!

How's that, did I lighten the mood?  :)

Beats me.  But I suggest going forward there might should be liberal use of  :sarcasmalert:

Else you might be labeled as one who wants the team to tank.

Francis is doing it the right way.  It's actually a breath of fresh air.

I support Peters, as he's the guy that's got to get a lot of these guys to wear their heart on their sleeve for this team.  Nothing short of that is acceptable.

Do I think the team can make the playoffs?  Maybe not, but I'll be there. Will you?

Edited by coastal_caniac

I was mainly just commenting on how Buffalo had 3 picks in the first round and how nice that would be, considering the talent they have added recently.  While it's way to early for mock drafts, it certainly isn't to early to "mock" the situation.  This is a league that 53% of the teams make the playoffs.  Teams that are just better than mediocre make the cut.  Failing to even make the cut to even mediocre for 5 years running isn't good and leads to a lot of gnashing of teach from the faithful.

And coastal, I like what Ronnie is doing and I'll be there.  I don't know if it will be a playoff season, but as long I see effort and improvement, I'll be satisfied.  That and coach that doesn't look clueless behind the bench.

Edited by super_dave_1

While I do suspect that Francis mostly kept the band together because could not find a good trade, and with the caveat that I tend to become very optimistic this time of year, do agree it is possible this group to surprise.

This very group of players had stretches last year where they were very good. The end of year when the PowerPlay starting to come around we actually finished not terrible. It is not unreasonable to expect certain players to at least get closer to their career averages or better, particularly with new coaching and possibly less injured motivated players. Lindholm and Murphy and even Faulk would be expected to of their game just based on experience gains. While we are paying too much for it, it is entirely possible that we will have an excellent goaltending tandem.

Buffalo has done well but they are in full on unapologetic rebuild mode. I personally I'm not quite ready to sit through that yet. If this group goes out one more time and stinks the place up I will be.

But for now I still have hope. But it is not blind hope there is reason for some hope. Not reason to fly to Vegas and bet the house, but some quite reasonable hope. At least I hope so.

Edited by remkin

Buffalo has done well but they are in full on unapologetic rebuild mode. I personally I'm not quite ready to sit through that yet. If this group goes out one more time and stinks the place up I will be.

The problem is that we have already experienced the pain, and have nothing to show for it.

Just a heads up.

It looks like NHL.com is doing a feature on each team during August. Looks like we are scheduled for tomorrow so there should be some Canes articles up, for what it's worth.

Of course this not a board of people who like to say I TOLD YOU SO's... Therefore I would like to be on the blow it up list.. Other teams have improved their rosters vrs Canes got Gleason and a new coach.. Id love to be wrong, but thinking come Christmas their will be a packed bus of blow it ups....