The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Mc Ginn!!!!!

But Lindholm should really step up thiis year. He was only 18 last year and had to recover from injuries early on. He really did come on improve as the year went by. Historically guys break out the third year but I do think he will step up significantly this year.

I also expect Murphy to surprise some people this year. He had flashes last year but needs to gain the confidence to take that next step. I think this might be a year or he moves forward as well.

Boychuck? Much less certain but you sure put up a lot of points in the AHL. If this is his year things could really come together for the team.

There, there's some optimism.

Edited by remkin

ok, I'll play, and join the optimists cause. Like most, I'm solid in the "prove it" camp.

My optimist view is the Canes will likely be no worse than last year. Yes, 10 points out is plenty, but can be covered by this team and coaches.

New coach Peters is an upgrade vs Muller, and players underperformed as Rem reminds us. Get a little more from the players (common with new coach). Hopefully Peters makes better use of resources and fewer blunders than Muller.

Presto, closer to borderline Playoff contender than bottom dwellers.

The schedule is also kinder to us early on, and getting some mojo going early in the season, you never know.  But we really need to get out of the gate not playing in preseason mode again.  I have faith that will not happen this year.

Just curious. In the discussions I see McGinn and Boychuk  mentioned a lot. I see Lindholm and Murphy talked about but when discussing our young guys almost nothing about Terry being discussed. It isn't as if he didn't have a pretty good season in Charlotte. I wonder why we never mention him when we talk about holes that might be filled?

You should not buy his Jersey until we know he is an NHL player. 2 years ago everyone was all about Rask and 2 years before that it was Nash or Dalpe as our 2C. Let's just wait and see....

Agree blue devil58, I purchased a Faulk jersey, just to be in front of the curve, and then Semen took the #,leaving me with a defunct number!1 Oh well, maybe that will be a  collectors item?

Same thing happened with Nash?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Just curious. In the discussions I see McGinn and Boychuk mentioned a lot. I see Lindholm and Murphy talked about but when discussing our young guys almost nothing about Terry being discussed. It isn't as if he didn't have a pretty good season in Charlotte. I wonder why we never mention him when we talk about holes that might be filled?

I did talk a little about Terry's acumen in the shootout and how I thought he looked good on the PP last year, but yeah, I'm surprised he isn't mentioned at least a little more.

I wonder who will fit the system better, Terry or Boychuck? If we are playing a more defensive system that also emphasizes puck-possession, I would think that would favor Terry as neither are known for their defense but Terry I think is a little better at stick-handling at slower speeds, has better vision, can slow the play down, and is overall a bit more skilled than Boychuck. Plus, as I said I thought he looked good on the PP. I think Boychuck's up-tempo speed game is a little more suited to the AHL where you have a little more time and space.

Admittedly I'm going by the little I have seen so it is more of a "something to chew on" kind of thing than any real analysis.

Also, when talking about PDG, Wesley said they were going to "hammer across to him" that he needs to continue to develop his speed because that is how he will help his teammates, by opening up space for other guys by stretching the ice or leading the rush. So maybe speed is part of the system and Boychuck fills that role better.

Should be interesting.

Edited by Kyrule

I'm ready for a little cannonball action around here.

He needs some more time to get stronger.  He might be a cannonball, but the fortresses at this level are a bit harder to penatrate.

Terry has been a bit under the radar is all. Yes, he's put up nice AHL numbers, but he was a later round draft pick, and despite having to put up good numbers was repeatedly passed over for higher round draft picks when it came to call ups. This kept him below the radar, and also suggested that the brass preferred others.

Boychuck on the other hand was a mid first round draft pick who some felt on draft day had slipped too low. Boychuck, thus far, is a very high-profile swing and miss. Terry on the other hand is the kind of guy who based on expectations typically doesn't make it to the NHL.

I guess in a way to the casual fan they are both below the radar, but Terry is more of a cropduster expected to be below the radar while Boychuck is a 747 packed full of people that's below the radar.

I would love it if in the end we did not swing and miss on our first round draft pick, but at the end of the day if either one of them steps up that would be great.

Edited by remkin

I think most of those guys aren't mentioned because they all seemed to be on some sort of list with no change of coming up. It's hard for at least me to remember it's a new page here and those players might be fair game again.

I've liked Terry the few times I've seen him, I don't think he's a ground breaking player but as I've said with some other players I'd like to see what we've got and finally move on if they don't have it after this year.

I think the 2-way contracts the Canes gave Boychuk and Terry ($200k & $300k at the AHL level) are a pretty good indication that the organization expects them to contribute to the big team this year . . .  

I think the 2-way contracts the Canes gave Boychuk and Terry ($200k & $300k at the AHL level) are a pretty good indication that the organization expects them to contribute to the big team this year . . .  

I think it sure puts them on notice we expect something from them when called

I think those AHL salaries for Boychuk and Terry have more to do with the waiver rules. 

Both are subject to waivers and it's a pretty solid hit to an AHL club to pick up a player for depth making that coin in the minors.  Remember re-entry waiver rules are gone with the new CBA.  It's like artificial depth or insurance without the risk.

Sounds like we are planning to cycle those two in and out as first call-ups with injuries, given there's realistically only one spot open right now for either of them to take in camp.  Unless somebody else steps up and takes it, most of which would be waiver exempt.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Agree blue devil58, I purchased a Faulk jersey, just to be in front of the curve, and then Semen took the #,leaving me with a defunct number!1 Oh well, maybe that will be a  collectors item?

Same thing happened with Nash?

At least you didn't buy a McBain jersey...

From Chip's tweets this morning

Joni Pitkanen, in recent interview with Finnish news outlet Kaleva, didn't sound optimistic about returning to hockey this season.

It isn't anything we haven't known or suspected but the article is in Joni's words. The web translation isn't the best but you get the point.

"It is the (ankle) hard rehabilitated, and made some progress, but day by day we go. Really is still a long way that I could play at all.

He said he hasn't even been on skates yet. What a shame

Thanks OBXer for keeping us informed on Joni. It is sad to see a valuable member of this team languish away like this. Hopefully he'll at least be able to regain a semblance of his life, sans hockey, unlike that 1 poor player, who years later cannot even walk on his foot for any length of time. Remind me of his name again, as it has escaped me.

Thanks OBXer for keeping us informed on Joni. It is sad to see a valuable member of this team languish away like this. Hopefully he'll at least be able to regain a semblance of his life, sans hockey, unlike that 1 poor player, who years later cannot even walk on his foot for any length of time. Remind me of his name again, as it has escaped me.

Thanks should go to Chip Alexander. I'm only repeating what he is tweeting.

Pat Peake, Washington Capitals

Coastal Wrote:

I think those AHL salaries for Boychuk and Terry have more to do with the waiver rules. 

Both are subject to waivers and it's a pretty solid hit to an AHL club to pick up a player for depth making that coin in the minors.  Remember re-entry waiver rules are gone with the new CBA.  It's like artificial depth or insurance without the risk.

Sounds like we are planning to cycle those two in and out as first call-ups with injuries, given there's realistically only one spot open right now for either of them to take in camp.  Unless somebody else steps up and takes it, most of which would be waiver exempt.

That's an interesting point. Never really thought about that aspect of it.

I also figured that, while the AHL is mostly a developmental league, about half the teams seem to pay a couple of their best players well into six figures, and my understanding is that the AHL also has no salary cap. Boychuk and Terry are both valuable AHL players being near the top of that league in scoring, and there is significant question where the Checkers are going to find goals. Further, had we not paid up, they might have gotten better offers elsewhere, at least at the AHL level. 

My main speculation here though is that our call up pool is so thin right now that, say what you will about Boychuk, with Dalpe and now Bowman gone, Sutter and Palushaj too, and Rask not developing as well as hoped, and Nash already on the club....if Boychuk and Terry had signed on elsewhere...we could basically tolerate zero injuries. We could not let that happen. Might be part of why LaRose gets signed on in Charlotte too. 

Edited by remkin

Losing Joni was part of the complex of issues last season.

The article is very short, all that is important is repeated above.  I do have to admit, however, that a visit to the web page is interesting if only for the the comments by the readers.  Looks like internet comments are the same everywhere.  It is hard to make out, but apparently one posted said something stupid about the rumors over Joni, and others described the poster as "being in diapers" and about "urine in the wind."

Of course, something is lost in translation, but the Finnish posters don't sound much better than most comments on any news article here.

I'm not sure, but it seems like a team that claims a player off of waivers would be required to put him on their NHL roster for at least some minimum amount of time.  I know the biggest reason for waivers is to keep big $ teams from stockpiling talent at the AHL level.  But isn't an additional reason to protect the player in question as well (i.e., provide him the opportunity to continue playing at the NHL level)?  It seems like a team that claimed a player off of waivers and immediately assigned him to their AHL club should also have to put the player through the waiver process, just like the original team did.  I don't know that this is the case, but it seems like it should be, at least if the NHLPA did a good job in negotiating the last contract.  Anyone know for sure?

Bottom line, though, especially since a team can use a player at the NHL for 9 games before he's subject to waivers, is that imo the Canes expect both Terry and Boychuk to play much more of a role in Raleigh than they did last year.  Maybe they're projecting one of them to make the Canes and the other to play an active depth role throughout the season? 

Edited by LakeLivin

Lake, the team claiming a guy off of waivers can keep him on the NHL roster for 10 games or for no more than 30 days, whichever comes first.  Then he goes down....without having to clear waivers.  Now, if that team brings him back up, and then wants to send him down again, the waiver process applies.

You might have to read this like 10 times, but it's a pretty good summary of the current waiver rules and process.

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10/7/4792782/nhl-waiver-waivers-cba-florida-panthers

Edited by coastal_caniac