The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Lake, the team claiming a guy off of waivers can keep him on the NHL roster for 10 games or for no more than 30 days, whichever comes first.  Then he goes down....without having to clear waivers.  Now, if that team brings him back up, and then wants to send him down again, the waiver process applies.

You might have to read this like 10 times, but it's a pretty good summary of the current waiver rules and process.

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10/7/4792782/nhl-waiver-waivers-cba-florida-panthers

Thanks for the read.

Any of us thinking we might have a shot to get Brandon Sutter back just evaporated. JR signed Sutter to a 2 year $6.6 million deal for the Pens.

Lake, the team claiming a guy off of waivers can keep him on the NHL roster for 10 games or for no more than 30 days, whichever comes first.  Then he goes down....without having to clear waivers.  Now, if that team brings him back up, and then wants to send him down again, the waiver process applies.

You might have to read this like 10 times, but it's a pretty good summary of the current waiver rules and process.

http://www.litterboxcats.com/2013/10/7/4792782/nhl-waiver-waivers-cba-florida-panthers

Thanks coastal, that is a good summary of some of the details of the waiver system.  But after reading it several times (granted, not quite 10 :)) I'm coming up with a different interpretation regarding a claiming team successfully picking up a waived player. Correct me if I'm wrong, but here are the two paragraphs I think are relevant.  I highlighted the parts I think are most relevant and added clarifications (how I interpret it) in red parentheses.

In the first clause (The Waiver Claim), let's say the Canes are the original team, try to send a non-waiver-exempt Chris Terry to the Checkers, and the Leafs claim him.  In the second clause (Waiver Expiration), the Canes put Terry on waivers but no one claims him.

The Waiver Claim 

Once a team (Leafs) claims a player from waivers, it may not trade that player unless it first offers him to any other teams who made waiver claims for him. If the claiming team (Leafs) places the player on waivers in the same season and his original team (Canes) claims him, the team (Canes) may send the player to the AHL without placing him on waivers again unless he meets the criteria for waiver expiration below.

Waiver expiration

Once a player (Terry) clears waivers (i.e., no one claimed him), the team (Canes) does not have to immediately reassign the player (to the Checkers). However, once the player has played ten games or spent thirty days on an NHL (Canes) roster, the waivers expire and the player will have to clear again before being loaned to another league (Checkers).

What I'm getting is that if the Canes lost Terry through waivers to the Leafs, but then the Leafs also waived him and the Canes picked him up again, the Canes could send him down to the Checkers without him going through waivers again until he's played 10 NHL games or spent 30 days on the Canes roster.  But I'm thinking that any other team that claimed Terry from us would have to run him through waivers before assigning him to their AHL team.  Thoughts? 

Edited by LakeLivin

What I'm getting is that if the Canes lost Terry through waivers to the Leafs, but then the Leafs also waived him and the Canes picked him up again, the Canes could send him down to the Checkers without him going through waivers again until he's played 10 NHL games or spent 30 days on the Canes roster.  But I'm thinking that any other team that claimed Terry from us would have to run him through waivers before assigning him to their AHL team.  Thoughts? 

Lake I think you are exactly right.  Thanks.

Okay, I'm bored.  I search around a lot for something interesting.  I found something I didn't know about how the Canes compare to other teams in the league relative to training and conditioning and who is responsible for those duties.  Check this out.

http://www.canescountry.com/2014/8/5/5029810/carolina-training

Okay, I'm bored.  I search around a lot for something interesting.  I found something I didn't know about how the Canes compare to other teams in the league relative to training and conditioning and who is responsible for those duties.  Check this out.

http://www.canescountry.com/2014/8/5/5029810/carolina-training

Interesting read, and I have wondered about this aspect of the organization.  Is this a penny wise and pound foolish thing?

Well it is interesting since PK blames injuries for the last two years. I can't imagine in the range of salaries the team pays that adding another trainer would break the bank. I wonder if Friesen has anything to do with this decision.

Well it is interesting since PK blames injuries for the last two years. I can't imagine in the range of salaries the team pays that adding another trainer would break the bank. I wonder if Friesen has anything to do with this decision.

As in more politics than money?  Actually, that does seem a more likely reason to me.  As you point out, given the value of the teams "assets", skimping on trainers seems a bit irrational.

Below is a recent tweet.  This dude, IMO, puts out some bizarre stuff on social media.  Just google Friesen twitter once a day for a few days and you will get what I'm talking about.  Something about the guy creeps me out.

XWVrMV.jpg

Edited by coastal_caniac

Tweet makes zero sense. From a sporting point of view, if someone questions your worth to a team, you will do all that is possible to see you belong. in terms of a relationship, if someone questions your desire about that relationship, if you do care about that relationship you will do all that is possible to strengthen that relationship even to correcting the things that you do wrong. The LAST thing you do is to simply walk away,  That is a sign of giving up.

Found that quote and similar ones on a spousal abuse forum where it made perfect sense.

Why a trainer of a professional hockey Team posted it without any clarification or reference, makes no sense. 

Found that quote and similar ones on a spousal abuse forum where it made perfect sense.

Why a trainer of a professional hockey Team posted it without any clarification or reference, makes no sense. 

I'm telling ya the man is a very strange individual.  It's like he chugs 4 Red Bulls and gets on twitter.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I'm telling ya the man is a very strange individual.  It's like he chugs 4 Red Bulls and gets on twitter.

Every time I have heard him talk, it's the same way. 

I saw that and wondered what the expected recovery time was. It could be that it is expected to have not fully recovered by now. Still has some time to get it right.

Not great news, this means Semin hasn't shot a puck since last season. Hopefully he is at least conditioning hard or he is gonna start really slow.   Same with Staal, seems like he and Jordan were conditioning hard and now he has to stop and rest til the beginning of the season.  Not good, I hope they are both doing everything possible to get ready and not sitting around getting out of shape.   

Looks like Semin's recovery is slow.  Along with E., this could be a slow start... again.

Retweeted by Chip Alexander

#Canes Alexander Semin has not yet fully recovered from the wrist surgery. He will travel to the US to rehab this weekend.

Concerning.  As long as we don't rush him and make sure he is fully recovered.