The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I saw that and wondered what the expected recovery time was. It could be that it is expected to have not fully recovered by now. Still has some time to get it right.

Yeah, but... danimal echos my concerns.  Both E. and Semin are supposed to be "fully recovered" by the start of camp.  And perhaps Semin is on schedule.  But for both of these guys, this cannot be good.  It is like sprinting without a warm up.  Losing the train-in time before training camp cannot be good.

Yeah, but... danimal echos my concerns.  Both E. and Semin are supposed to be "fully recovered" by the start of camp.  And perhaps Semin is on schedule.  But for both of these guys, this cannot be good.  It is like sprinting without a warm up.  Losing the train-in time before training camp cannot be good.

I read a little more but it's really hard to get information. They don't specify what the injury or surgery were specifically or the exact recovery expectations. But it's been over 2 months, so it does seem a bit long. There is at least one wrist injury that I know of that can be really tough, but I haven't read anything more specific than "wrist" anywhere. 

On Staal though reading the article on him on this website, he seems to be pretty good. I'm feeling better about him being ready. He also mentioned that the knee was a factor in the early part of the season. 

E. and Semin were both on torrid paces for a lot of the lockout year. The year our defense and goalies were decimated, and If injuries really did hold E. and Semin seriously back last year and they can get right this year....could get interesting.

Edited by remkin

seems that all of the excuses for a repeat of the past several seasons are taking shape to me.  I hope I am wrong, but it doesn't sound too good at this point.

I can't figureout all the doom and gloom about the Semin report.  He was supposed to have it completely imobilized for three months.  It seems like that is what it has been.  Now he has two full moonths to rehab it and get ready for the season.  He's not fully revovered yet.  He's not supposed to be fully recovered yet.  I don't get the drama.

I can't figureout all the doom and gloom about the Semin report.  He was supposed to have it completely imobilized for three months.  It seems like that is what it has been.  Now he has two full moonths to rehab it and get ready for the season.  He's not fully revovered yet.  He's not supposed to be fully recovered yet.  I don't get the drama.

Thanks Clifford, thats what I wanted to hear! Now I'm feeling better about E and Semin both.

The first preseason game isn't until Sept 21. about 6 weeks from now. Then there are 7 of those (over 18 more days for crying out loud) and 5 more days after that before opening night. 

I really did find the article on E. on this site very encouraging. The whole thing just sounded like good stuff. And it addressed the surgery:

"It’s not as tough to overcome as a knee injury,” he said. “The rehab has been a lot easier and a lot better. I’m feeling pretty good already a week after.”

Staal Starting Fresh - Carolina Hurricanes - Tracking the Storm

I think Staal will be ready and highly motivated.

Edited by remkin

The first preseason game isn't until Sept 21. about 6 weeks from now. Then there are 7 of those (over 18 more days for crying out loud) and 5 more days after that before opening night. 

I really did find the article on E. on this site very encouraging. The whole thing just sounded like good stuff. And it addressed the surgery:

"It’s not as tough to overcome as a knee injury,” he said. “The rehab has been a lot easier and a lot better. I’m feeling pretty good already a week after.”

Staal Starting Fresh - Carolina Hurricanes - Tracking the Storm

I think Staal will be ready and highly motivated.

Last year he said he "felt great" too.    I'm not questioning his motivation.  I'm talking physiology.  Remember, these guys play at an extremely high level.  Every deficit matters.  "recovered" for laymen may not be the same as the elite athlete.   Then again, I'm not a doctor so perhaps a sports hernia is trivial.  I agree it is different than the knee, for sure.  Unfortunately, the injury was also later in the offseason.

We'll see.  I really hope E. starts out on fire.

I don't get how some people seem to think that the players get injured on purpose, or that they like to be able to use an injury as an excuse. 

I don't either.

To be it looks like Semin and Eric will skip TC and be ready for the season and either be out of shape or battle an injury thus causing a slow start for the team.

...let's not forget that Cam Ward is going to suck as well...

any optimism at all?

Edited by cclifford10

I am confident and optimistic we will ice a team on opening night. I am confident we will be a competitive team but uncertain how good we will be. I'm hoping very good but until we see them play it is a guessing game.

So, obviously, I've been on a bit of a board vacation...when in the hell did we re-sign Rosey?  I know it's an AHL contract, but it makes me super excited to see him play again!

I know it probably has been mentioned, but when does training camp start? I know I'm ready, I hope they are, too!

does anyone know if there are any "unoffical" camps taking place at one of the local rinks?

does anyone know if there are any "unoffical" camps taking place at one of the local rinks?

Yes. Happens every year.

I wandered into one of these back in 08-09  when nobody was supposed to be there as it was a "private" skate (so I was told by the security guy) but nobody made me leave since I was already there and I really wasn't sporting any Canes gear. 

Over the last few years, most of the players use RCI in the couple of weeks prior to camp when guys start showing up..

Edited by coastal_caniac

Being tired of the continuous fixation on lagging ticket sales which are dominating the discussions lately, and for which, quite frankly little will change until the hopefully enthusiastic start, thought I'd throw this out for discussion. Does anyone on here know which teams are tightest to the cap, beside the Black Hawks, and does anyone believe that Francis could make some kind of move to obtain any player in jeopardy from the cap issue, prior to season start?

Franchise's post made me curiosity about the impact of hits on results, and since we're in such a dead time of the year I took a look at some numbers from last season.  The stats were interesting so I thought I'd share them here. 

I think it's safe to say that recording hits is somewhat subjective depending on the home scorer.  Two examples: TORONTO had almost half again as many hits at home (1544) vs. on the road (1048) whereas NEW JERSEY was the opposite with significantly less home hits (666) than road hits (902). It seems likely to me that those variations were due more to differences in how the home scorekeepers recorded hits than the two teams playing such markedly different styles of games at home vs. on the road.  So to reduce home scorekeeper bias, I looked at just road hits which spreads scorekeeper bias across all off a teams opponents instead of half it's games being influenced by the home team scorekeeper.  Here's the data; http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.htm?fetchKey=20142ALLSAAALL&sort=roadHits&viewName=realTimeStats

stat                                               number of those teams that made the playoffs

Top 5 teams in road hits                             2

Bottom 5 teams in road hits                        5

Top 10 teams in road hits                           5

Bottom 10 teams in road hits                      7

It would be interesting to do a formal regression analysis on the actual data so you could account for factors like individual scorekeepers, but I don't have the raw data or the software.  

As always, one should keep in mind that correlation does not imply causality (i.e., even if the data were to show that teams with less hits were more successful at reaching the playoffs, that doesn't mean that teams were more successful at reaching the playoffs because they hit less.  

Anyways, as I said, I thought the numbers were interesting so I thought I'd share them.  

Edited by LakeLivin

Being tired of the continuous fixation on lagging ticket sales which are dominating the discussions lately, and for which, quite frankly little will change until the hopefully enthusiastic start, thought I'd throw this out for discussion. Does anyone on here know which teams are tightest to the cap, beside the Black Hawks, and does anyone believe that Francis could make some kind of move to obtain any player in jeopardy from the cap issue, prior to season start?

good summary is here:  http://capgeek.com/

I see 4 teams needing to do some serious work:

Team                       Cap Payroll   Amt over   # players   

Philadelphia »       $73,936,429    -$4,936,429     24    

Chicago »             $71,216,795   -$2,216,795      23    

Tampa Bay »        $70,877,927   -$1,877,927      24    

Boston »               $69,809,143    -$809,143         21

I can't see the Canes trying to add a piece now given that it would cost assets when they apparently didn't move hard on some of the free agents that stand a high chance of being a great value (imo) like Derek Roy, Stempniak, or Peter Mueller and that wouldn't have cost anything in return.

Edited by LakeLivin

Lake, alto not a "statistic man", your data are interesting? Not sure what, if anything to make of it, other than hits don't seem to correlate with making the playoffs? Am I not gleaning something?

What I wonder is, is there a difference of East v West? Ergo, does the western conference, as seems to be constantly speculated, lay more hits than here in the east, or have you analyzed that aspect? But, in my mind, if that is the case, than there cannot be an across the board comparison of all 30 teams, as there would be a playing style difference depending on which conference a team is in.