The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Speculation that Yakupov will be dealt this offseason. Should we be interested?

I'm on the fence. He's on the smaller side and hasn't produced like people thought he would. With that said, he played on a crappy line on a crap team and still shows potential. The price will probably be fairly high but I'd at least call about him. It'd give us a nice top 6.

Edited by TheFaulker

Expendable. Nash does a better job as a 4th line center.

I agree. On a good team Nash is a fourth line center. Malhotra is good at faceoffs and seems like a character guy, but his play on the ice is pretty underwhelming.

Manny took 3 centers on his back and showed them how to be the 4th best faceoff team in the league.

I'd take Manny centering the foutrh line next year over any of Lokt, Nash, or whatever Checker you might throw in there.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Manny is a very tough call for me.  I think he finished 6th overall in face off % which is something you don't want to let go. And as others have pointed out, he brings a great veteran/leadership presence to the locker room. But he did somewhat fall off in the second half of the season. I don't know if it was fatigue or just due to the awkwardness the entire team was having. 

I'd like to have him back but I also wouldn't be mad if we went in a different direction.

Edited by TheFaulker

On Manny, all I can say is he wasn't the problem.  He certainly isn't hurting the team on the 4th line.  He takes all the important faceoffs.  I'm not saying that he can't be replaced, but I don't see that his play on the 4th line is why the Canes are out of the playoffs.

So MAnny aside my suggestion is that the Canes trade Dwyer for a serviceable 4th line power forward and also acquire a top 9 40-50 points Power Forward.  Being more gritty is the name of the game.

Listened to XM this morning just after 9AM and they had some EXCELLENT interviews with the GM of Columbus, Jarmo Kekalainen, and the GM of Detroit, Ken Holland.

These gentlemen both brought up something important when asked "what was the strength of your team" or some such question. Both answered that their teams rose to the occasion when the pressure was on.  Specifically, both mentioned the important games in the last quarter of the season when they had to win to get in.  Holland was especially proud of his team LAST year when he called every game a play off game near the end.  (If you recall, it was impressive.)

Which got me to thinking about the Cane's Feb/March disaster.  I don't know what is going on in The Room.  But Muller sure was irritating in his interviews.  Just doing the old "got to keep with the system" talk.   Who knows what the players were doing in The Room.  The team needed to rise at that time.  They fell.

Finally, Holland mentioned the word patience a lot.  I almost felt like it was a poke in my eye after the PK interview.  Except, of course, Mr. Holland was talking about they patience they have with bringing up their draft picks in the AHL.  And their excellent coaching and development they have down there.

Which finally got me to think, "does PK have a point?"  I know he came across out of touch, but maybe WE are the ones pushing to see the Skinners, Lindholms, Falks to early?  I hear a lot on this board about Brock McGinn.  Some of the proposed line ups already having him playing next year.  But is it too early?  Should we have patience?

Edited by wxray1

I have had patience over the last 5 years.  Do we need to be patient and wait 3 more years for Lindholm to be a top tier center and then this will result in a playoff berth?

We should hear from Muller today. I think his meet the press is at 11am. I'm not sure what we will learn but perhaps something.

Listened to XM this morning just after 9AM and they had some EXCELLENT interviews with the GM of Columbus, Jarmo Kekalainen, and the GM of Detroit, Ken Holland.

These gentlemen both brought up something important when asked "what was the strength of your team" or some such question. Both answered that their teams rose to the occasion when the pressure was on. Specifically, both mentioned the important games in the last quarter of the season when they had to win to get in. Holland was especially proud of his team LAST year when he called every game a play off game near the end. (If you recall, it was impressive.)

Which got me to thinking about the Cane's Feb/March disaster. I don't know what is going on in The Room. But Muller sure was irritating in his interviews. Just doing the old "got to keep with the system" talk. Who knows what the players were doing in The Room. The team needed to rise at that time. They fell.

Finally, Holland mentioned the word patience a lot. I almost felt like it was a poke in my eye after the PK interview. Except, of course, Mr. Holland was talking about they patience they have with bringing up their draft picks in the AHL. And their excellent coaching and development they have down there.

Which finally got me to think, "does PK have a point?" I know he came across out of touch, but maybe WE are the ones pushing to see the Skinners, Lindholms, Falks to early? I hear a lot on this board about Brock McGinn. Some of the proposed line ups already having him playing next year. But is it too early? Should we have patience?

Changes are certainly needed...personally, I think they are relatively small ones. I expect we will qualify Loktionov, Jiri and Gerbe, Dvorak will be let go, Bowman is a question mark, Cam is the big question, but that's really about it. On the D end we need to try and keep Hainsey and Bellemore, if he will sign to a 3rd pairing contract.

McGinn is supposed to be that tough playing front of the net presence we need and he should get a look, but a year in Charlotte will do him good. I hope the same for our pick at #7 unless he absolutely KILLS it in pre-season and his alloted games, whoever it is should remain in Jrs to continue to play big minutes and develop.

Don't forget to send your playoff picks to coastal_caniac before 7pm tonight.

Stanley Cup contest can be found Here

Changes are certainly needed...personally, I think they are relatively small ones. I expect we will qualify Loktionov, Jiri and Gerbe, Dvorak will be let go, Bowman is a question mark, Cam is the big question, but that's really about it. On the D end we need to try and keep Hainsey and Bellemore, if he will sign to a 3rd pairing contract.

McGinn is supposed to be that tough playing front of the net presence we need and he should get a look, but a year in Charlotte will do him good. I hope the same for our pick at #7 unless he absolutely KILLS it in pre-season and his alloted games, whoever it is should remain in Jrs to continue to play big minutes and develop.

I like the way you think, Law=Dawg.As miserable as this season turned out, I am of the opinion that but for the horrible start due to several key injuries, this team would have squeeked in this year. Of course there was the mid-season swoon, but by then, I believe that the Canes fate was sealed. Now I know that several will look at my statement and say that I ODed on cool-aide, but think how often we beat GOOD teams, teams that are presently in the 2nd season? Parity in the NHL is alive and well.

As to the question of Manny Malhotra vs others, I'm also of the opinion that he should be retained!! How often have I seen on this board that "leadership" has been brought into question as a possible issue to the woes of this club? That being true, how do you not resign someone like Manny? did he fade towards the end, I don't know, but he had sat out for a season before we gave him the PTO. Loki and Gerbs to me are definate. Manny should be right up there too. Who can deny Dwyer's heart, but his skill to me is in his skating. Could that be waning?

Darren Dreger @DarrenDreger 11m

Sources say Paul Maurice has agreed to a multi-year extension as head coach of the Winnipeg Jets. #TSN

When the news was revealed the wind speed picked up dramatically in the Raleigh area cause by a large and collective exhale among the Caniac Nation. . :blink:

"I feel like we played well"

"Injuries"

"Lots of new faces"

Excuse after excuse is rolling in.

I suppose that just depends on your viewpoint bd58!! If one is closed minded, that's exactly what it sounds like and never, never changes. For some willing to keep an open mind, these seem more like facts than excuses.

The one constant I'm seeing in the exit interviews is the uncertainty. Players Eric Staal, Cam Ward and now Head Coach kirk Muller were all subdued and left you with the feeling they have no idea if they will be back. They all voiced desire to stay with the club  yet seem resigned to the fact their future is no longer in their hands. The sooner we figure this out the better , no matter how it shakes out.

I suppose that just depends on your viewpoint bd58!! If one is closed minded, that's exactly what it sounds like and never, never changes. For some willing to keep an open mind, these seem more like facts than excuses.

I am not sure how long you have been a fan.  But at least during the Maurice era when the team first came to NC we had a playoff berth at least 1 out of every 3 years.  We have now failed to make the playoffs for the 5th STRAIGHT YEAR.  Forgive me for being close minded.  I like to see results.  Not blind optimism. I am starting to think that just like the players and coaching staff, the fans have grown accustomed to losing and it is becoming acceptable.  We brought in Jordan, Hainsey, Semin, Sekera, and Khudobin and still can't win.  What is there to be optimistic about?  Do you find losing to be acceptable?

Edited by bluedevil58

I am not sure how long you have been a fan.  But at least during the Maurice era when the team first came to NC we had a playoff berth at least 1 out of every 3 years.  We have now failed to make the playoffs for the 5th STRAIGHT YEAR.  Forgive me for being close minded.  I like to see results.  Not blind optimism. I am starting to think that just like the players and coaching staff, the fans have grown accustomed to losing and it is becoming acceptable.  We brought in Jordan, Hainsey, Semin, Sekera, and Khudobin and still can't win.  What is there to be optimistic about?  Do you find losing to be acceptable?

bd58, if you are going to pull the "I've been a fan longer than you card", I'll take the bait, as if that matters. For your info, coming from the deep south , Louisiana to be exact(ergo my nickname), I had very little appreciation of the sport. Thus my interest in hockey grew from '02, and of course peaked in 05-05, when I became an STH. The question is, does that qualify you to be the expert on a coach's abilities more so than me, eh, don't think so.

Is losing acceptable to me, what a completely ludicrous question of anybody?

Now, as to the the comparisons you've put forth, to suggest that Maurice 1 was the standard to judge a coach "we had a playoff berth1 out of every 3 years" when that was obviously in a much weaker division than now, or "we have failed to make the playoffs for the 5th straight year", of which Muller has only been here for what 2 1/2 of those non-playoff years, seems to me to be a little unfair!

You "like to see results" and my friend, so do I.

And might I conclude this with mine is not "just blind optimism", just because I choose not to just out of hand dismiss statements by this coach. No, I'll consider them, as I think they are honest. However, as I've previously stated multiple times, I think that this coach's position should be tempered with how this team performs for the 1st 15-20 games of 14-15, Should things be still trending downward, I think that's the time to look elsewhere. Now, if Ron or whoever comes in as the new GM, decides that Muller is "not his man", I would not quibble with that sentiment either.

Edited by KJUNKANE

The more I think about these exit interviews the more I think we need a change. If Muller stays veteran players need to go and if we keep the roster virtually intact the coach needs to go.

Game in and game out I just don't see this team as it is made up playing the aggressive style Muller wants. That style demands a team that can gain and keep the O zone. How many times have we seen the Canes passive-aggressive style gain the zone only to become a one shot and done team.

Maybe I'm  suffering post traumatic Carolina hockey syndrome but I think we really need to shake this team up.

Well if we're bringing in a new GM. Then that has to be done first.

Then that GM makes the other calls.

On the new GM they need to at least slightly consider outsiders, and maybe that's the process now.

Plus, if we want a coach who is currently involved in the playoffs.....

When E.Staal was playing with E.Cole, those were his best years, hands down. Now, we have Semin, Tlusty, Malhotra, Skinner, J.Staal,...and the list goes on.  Are you saying that not one of these guys can setup Eric in the same way?  That's really sad if you are!!  Eric may have played with a bum knee but personally, he should have sat some this season and tried to rehabilitate it.  I am not letting him off that easy!  His actions on the ice were not of CAPTAIN standards to me.  He would whine and cry worse than Sid the Kid about penalties and then take even more stupid stick penalties. As I hear a lot of commentators say, "A stick penalty in your own offensive zone shows a lazy player!"   I totally agree!

Now, I hope JR steps out of the picture and lets someone else run the show. It's time to move on!! Francis as GM? Not sure! Why? JR has trained him! I feel he will go back to JR and we will continue to see his hold on the franchise.

Muller as coach? If he can get full reigns, I feel he deserves another year. BUT, he needs to put his foot down and practice what he preaches.  If you don't show hard work and dedication, move them down a line or make them a healthy scratch. E.Staal included!!

E.Staal as captain? That's a hard one right now! He needs to mature and act like a captain, not a whiny brat with money. Take responsibility for the entire team, stop taking stupid stick penalties, and train hard with his hands. He may have led the league in take aways but how many did he give up as well?

OK, tear into me guys! I can take the heat.  Where am I right and where am I wrong?