The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I, for one, am glad we are being patient. Guys like Boychuk and Terry are going to get a look and they deserve that chance. We've always plugged "holes" with Dvorak, Ponikavarski, Komisarek, etc. This year, our prospects get a real look and chance to make the big team. If they can't cut it, we can fill in the gaps via trade or picking up a player that had to be shed by one of the teams that's over the cap.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I think it's pretty clear that RF is giving everyone one more year to show what they're capable of. It's either going to work and the team will be successful or it will be the usual and he'll be in much better shape in terms of big contracts to make some significant moves. Not necessarily the most exciting thing for us fans, but it's probably the smartest move he could make.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I think it's pretty clear that RF is giving everyone one more year to show what they're capable of. It's either going to work and the team will be successful or it will be the usual and he'll be in much better shape in terms of big contracts to make some significant moves. Not necessarily the most exciting thing for us fans, but it's probably the smartest move he could make.

I'm ok with the patient approach too. However I do think that although he is giving most another chance I doubt he will give them a full year if they don't show up.  I expect RF will use the first quarter of the season to evaluate and the remainder of the season looking to fine tune what he wants. If everyone plays at or above expectations then no worries but if not I expect some early moves.

I'm not sure PKs plea for patience extends to the players.

I'm all for giving this group a shot under Peters before making any big moves.  I'm also for giving some of our prospects a real chance to contribute.  And I think this team has a good chance of being very competitive this year.  As I've said several times, not only do I think they have more talent than last year's record, I think they actually played better last year than their record. 

Having said that, I really, really wish we had picked up one additional piece. If for no other reason than a bit of depth when injuries overlap (as they do for every team).  I mean, if we're giving this group a shot before making major moves, why not give them the best shot possible?  I just happen to think one additional solid forward (especially on the right side) might make a pretty big difference over the course of the season. 

Edited by LakeLivin

I think just about everyone on here would agree that this team should be much better than what occurred last year. Not just the salaries but things each guy could bring and has accomplished in the past. 

It seems some feel that there is something missing from the heart and soul of the team and that this collection will never achieve the sum of it's parts. Last year certainly provided little contradiction to that point of view. But even those people would probably admit that this collection of guys should have at least scored more goals. 

These guys get a bit healthier, get some good goaltending and a decent PP, get some wins going early, there is enough talent on this team to make the playoffs comfortably. If the new coach can tighten things up and get these guys to show up from the puck drop and play tough at home and bump up the PP (his three stated priorities) a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised.

If not....I agree we start making changes fairly early.

It was a good read. Thanks bluedevil58,

One interesting aspect, at least for me, was when Lindy mentioned the chemistry that developed late in the season between him, Nash and Skinner. I really liked that line at the end of the year but I don't see how Peters can keep them together if he wants Skinner to be a 40 goal scorer.  I suppose it is possible but making them your second line is a stretch. I'm not sure Nash or Lindy could be top 6 forwards at this stage.

I keep moving the chess pieces around but always come up one position short. I hope Peters is a better chess player then I am.

OBXer, I have really liked Nash from the very 1st when he turned down Edmonton's offer, then immediately turned around, after they traded him to us, and signed with us!! That being said, I too do not foresee Skinners scoring those numbers on that line, with Lindy, much as they "have chemistry". Seems that I have to agree that 1 other element is necessary, and as much as I also think that a player or 2 should be given a chance from our AHLers, I just don't see who you bring up that does bring the proper element that the pairing of Skinners/Lindy needs. The ideal to me would be an experienced player with grit, who could thus open up space for those 2.

In my mind, as much as Nash has seemed to mature, I just don't think that he fills that role sufficiently? In your mind or anyone else's, could McGinn possibly? Now that suggestion, I realize, contradicts my suggestion of "experience", but if we(that is RF) are holding off on bringing anyone else aboard, he,s all I could think of, and I think that he brings no more than Nash. Thoughts???

Edited by KJUNKANE

Skinner could put up 30 goals on a line with Stormy. 40? Maybe.

I have very high hopes for Linholm. He is a skilled playmaker and I like him and Skinner together a lot.

Nash is the weak link there. He is a nice player, but has not shown second line chops.

If Linholm is ready to play center....maybe.. a lot to ask though.

What about Lindholm-J-Skinner?

If we move Skinner and Lindy I'm thinking Boychuk-Nash- Gerbe

No matter how you move our top 9 around the key seems to be that Boychuk has to finally become the player we expect.

If we move Skinner and Lindy I'm thinking Boychuk-Nash- Gerbe

No matter how you move our top 9 around the key seems to be that Boychuk has to finally become the player we expect.

That looks good, but wouldn't you like a little more size, as well as experience with Boychuk? Wouldn't McClement bring that a little better than Nash(whom I've previously stated that I like). he is also a little more experienced, is he not? Why not Nash and Malone on the 4th line?

And Lake, per you previous report on Kevin Hayes, just wondering what steered him away from even considering us, if he's looking at the Preds, the Flames and the Bruins? It would appear that we have that kind of $ he'd need, Don't think our 2nd line is completely set and do have as much hope for post-season certainly as Preds and Calgary?

Edited by KJUNKANE

That looks good, but wouldn't you like a little more size, as well as experience with Boychuk? Wouldn't McClement bring that a little better than Nash(whom I've previously stated that I like). he is also a little more experienced, is he not? Why not Nash and Malone on the 4th line?

And Lake, per you previous report on Kevin Hayes, just wondering what steered him away from even considering us, if he's looking at the Preds, the Flames and the Bruins? It would appear that we have that kind of $ he'd need, Don't think our 2nd line is completely set and do have as much hope for post-season certainly as Preds and Calgary?

McClement had 10 points in 81 games with Toronto last season. And that's with a fair amount of ice time per game (14:45). Excellent at face-offs and supposedly very sound defensively and a good leader, but I don't see him anywhere but the 4th line.  I personally don't expect much more from him than we got from Manny last year.  

I'm guessing it's more likely that we aren't going after Hayes than he ruled us out before weighing all of his options.

p.s. have you checked your messages lately?  I'm going to start a "give the crawfish a stick!"  movement on this forum pretty soon. :P

Edited by LakeLivin

I think McClement is our 4rh line guy. Tough and good on faceoffs. He is supposed to be a really when used on the PK and can take key defensive faceoffs when needed. I think he is perfect for a 4th line that is used well and he should get enough ice time to make a difference.

Would I like more size and experience on a third line, sure but I just don't see it. Nash has the speed to keep up with Boychuk and Gerbe or Lindy. I also thought he was looking pretty good at the end of the season and perhaps finding a scoring touch. Time will tell if it was Nash growing into the role or the skill of Skinner and Lindy on his flanks.

I'm sure others see it differently and I might after training camp. For now I just don't see any other options,

Thanks for posting the Lindholm article, nice read. Of course I'm always interested in news on Lindholm, can't wait to see how he progresses.

As a side note, I thought he was going to train with Landeskog during the offseason. Maybe they have the same agent, and therefore use the same gym that Lindholm mentioned.

Anyway, good to hear that he wasn't satisfied, and that he felt management expected more despite their encouragement.

I can honestly say I have no idea what Peters will do with the offense.  My hope is we can be good enough defensively to stop having to dump, line change, chase, in lieu of more possession time.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I had to chuckle. Its amusing to me how over the years we went from chip and chase to dump and chase and finally to dump and change.

Dump and change is da Devil. :devil:

But seriously, how do ask guys to keep doing that? :crybaby:

It's anti-possession. :omg:

RIP Muller, you idiot.  :goodpost:  You don't get a pass because we had one of the worst defenses in the league either. :tsktsk:

And while I'm at it I won't miss Dave Lewis, him and his stick check.  :missing:

I blame him for the increase in stick penalties since he brought that mess to Raleigh, on both defense and offense.  And Gap control.  That sucks too, taken to the extreme.  Take a body sometimes. :tripping:   Wasn't in the package.

At least McLean told the players what to do, and drew up plays and such.  :yawn:  Wasn't a mystery if you watched the bench.

So, back to my original thought.  I have really high hopes for what Peters can do, realizing he isn't Midas.   Don't know what he will run as far as lines, but finding out can't come quick enough.  :Tumbleweed:   August isn't exactly the best hockey month.

Also excited to see what Brindy can do full-time behind the bench.  Funny nobody has really focused on that a little.

Mostly I'm just ready to get there at 10am and..

:tailgate:

Coastal

(go away what's ever next in the alphabet)

Edited by coastal_caniac

One thing that needs to happen for sure this year is the talk of  "Skinner doesn't have chemistry with E. or J. or Semin" talk has got to stop".  Skinner is our number one goal scorer and needs to be out there with talent on his line.  I like --Lindholm, J Staal., and Skinner,--  if not that than--- Skinner, E Staal., and Semin--- needs to happen.  Find a way and figure it out Peters, no more Skinner on third line with AHL'ers and rookies.   It doesn't make sense that he's not with experienced talent setting him up to finish.  He's our only natural finisher at this point unless E. and Semin get the gift back.  If Skinner can put up 33goals last year witt the way things went than he can put up 40plus on first or second line with a better coach and a team with and confidence.

One thing that needs to happen for sure this year is the talk of  "Skinner doesn't have chemistry with E. or J. or Semin" talk has got to stop".  Skinner is our number one goal scorer and needs to be out there with talent on his line.  I like --Lindholm, J Staal., and Skinner,--  if not that than--- Skinner, E Staal., and Semin--- needs to happen.  Find a way and figure it out Peters, no more Skinner on third line with AHL'ers and rookies.   It doesn't make sense that he's not with experienced talent setting him up to finish.  He's our only natural finisher at this point unless E. and Semin get the gift back.  If Skinner can put up 33goals last year witt the way things went than he can put up 40plus on first or second line with a better coach and a team with and confidence.

Yes, I agree with you. Skinner deserves at least one other player he can really click with. I hope that becomes Lindholm. For now though, I'd love to see Skinner on the first line for awhile. So with agreeing he has the ability, the question becomes can not only he but the rest of the team stay healthy?

I thought one of the moves Muller got right was to move Skinner to the third line. He had been taking a beating in the top six. You might say he had a bullseye on his back. Shifting him to the third line protected him a bit, allowed him to partner with speedy line mates and seemed to give him more confidence as he found some open ice and appeared to get his scoring touch back. Of course the addition of Semin to the team helped. If other teams paid so much attention to shutdown Skinner then Semin would burn them.

But now we appear to be expecting more from Skinner and that probable means a top six role.

Funny but when I look at the currently available and projected forwards the lines jump out at me more than ever before. 

Line the First:

The whole thing is unlocked at the top. Semin/E/Tlusty has to get back together and find that mojo. If they do, then they will demand the top d pairings and still score, like they did in the lock out year. The obvious engine for this line is E-Semin. Both of those guys played poorly last year, and Tlusty, who is the complementary piece suffered by extension. E. and especially Semin drive offense. They create offense. Tlusty goes to the corners and the front of the net and finishes the offense created by E and or Semin who also draw the defense away from Tlusty. 

IF this line suffered from injuries, (Semin's wrist, E.'s knee) and coaching and other problems, then there is hope that this year things could get back to a lockout year that saw E on a 90 point pace over a full season. Further, Tlusty was looking better independently at the end of last year. If this line gets back to even 90% of what it once was, then that opens things a bit for line 2.

Line the second: 

Skinner/J/Lindholm. This line really looks nice on paper. We need Lindholm to step up a notch, and J. needs to find a bit more offense, but he should with those two on his line. You have the big body defensively responsible Center who has put up more points in the past than recently. You have the boy wonder uber slick sniper, and you have an all around player, top draft pick, who at the end of the year has shown really nice flashes of the offensive playmaker that he will become (oh and who was only 18 and adjusting to NHL speed and small ice).  That line could be one of the best second lines in the game if it comes together. 

Line the third:

Boychuk/Nash/Gerbe. Nash is a nice player. He makes smart plays, he plays defense. Not going to put up 50 points, but this is the third line. Gerbe: Very nice player. He's put up 30 points twice and that is very nice for the third line. Boychuk....that is the question. What do we get from Mr Boychuk? Is he a perma-AHL'er, or can he light the lamp at the NHL level and not be a defensive liability? Well it's about high time to find out, but I say YES. Not only did he lead the AHL, but in his 11 games he put up 4 points good for 30 if he played all year at that rate. (Yes, this is the patented Remkin method of projection, but it is from the latest sample of NHL games, since people generally want to discount his AHL points). Again, this is 3rd line. Nash put up 24 points in 75 games last year, so he could hit 30 if Boychuk delivers on his end. 3 guys putting up 30 points on the third line, or even close, is very strong. Very strong.

Line the 4th:

Malone/McClemment/Dwyer

The only question is Dwyer. Should he be on the third line in place of Boychuk? I say no, unless Boychuk falters and there is no better replacement: McGinn? The main reason is that we need to see what Boychuk can do. The size difference between Boychuk and Dwyer is negligible. Let Dwyer kill penalties, and be a great 4th liner,  and be ready to move up w/ injuries. 

Conclusion: YES, there are some "ifs". But given the national media and other's projections for this team, IF's are far better than most have us. Most don't think there even is an "if" for us. They are IF's. BUT, they are not crazy projections. There is solid evidence for every single one of these guys. Only Boychuk has not proven himself at the NHL level. 

Well I'm correct, just 45 days to see if Peters gets it.

I keeed! I keeed! :jester: .

Sort of....