The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Do not misunderstand me, I too strongly believe we were better than showed last year, but am similarly decrying the absence of any type of any seeming movement of improvement, Thus the comment "gambit".

Yeah, we're on the same page. :)

2012 offseason: Semin, J. Staal

2013 offseason: Khudobin, Sekera

2014 offseason: Gleason, McClemment

So far....I guess.

To me it seems like McClemment = Malhotra.  And since we "lost" Loktionov to injury, we could almost view this offseasons major "moves" as picking up Gleason in place of Loktionov and "promoting" Terry and Boychuk (at least that seems like the idea).  

What's frustrating as fans is not knowing what the organization has tried (if anything). 

• Did PK completely close the wallet? Given the current Canes payroll it would be hard to criticize him if he did, But at one point he did imply that he might spring for an additional piece.  And it seems like we might have gotten an additional piece pretty cheaply.
  • Did we pursue certain FAs that weren't interested in coming to Carolina?
  • Are there other FAs that perhaps RF didn't pursue because he didn't realize how "cheaply" they might be had (Roy, Mueller, Setoguchi)?
  • Is Loktionov in the back of RFs mind (pending a successful rehab)?  I've seen him listed as one of the best remaining FA centers on a couple of other team sites.
  • Is Sr. mgmt not going "all out" right now given the quality of next years draft if our core group doesn't rebound this season? For the record, I don't think that's the case,  I believe we have too much talent to get a shot at McDavid or Eichel and the only way I could see us under-performing that much is if Peters failed miserably with respect to motivating our players.

Respectfully, I think gnashing teeth over something that didn't happen doesn't serve a purpose anymore.  The team is a month away from this years Canes.  :)

Besides, and its been said around here before, RF didn't do anything to hurt the team moving forward, which in my opinion, is a huge improvement.

October 10, 10am, pregame skate, tailgate to game time. Smoke a pork butt and some chickens. Plan.

Who's with me?  Figuratively, of course, you can smoke your own pork butt. :thumbsup:  I'm also bringing the last of my soft-shells, some rock (fish), goose sausage, a deer backstrap, and some duck poppers. Yum.  Mrs. Coastal will probably tone it down, but I'm bringing some stuff.

I guess my optimism is shining through. Always get excited this time of year. It's just more fun.

Edited by coastal_caniac

And I find it hard to believe that Calgary is a more attractive destination than Raleigh, lol.

If one can put up with the brutal winters, Banff National Park is about an hour away.

Respectfully, I think gnashing teeth over something that didn't happen doesn't serve a purpose anymore.  The team is a month away from this years Canes.  :)

Besides, and its been said around here before, RF didn't do anything to hurt the team moving forward, which in my opinion, is a huge improvement.

October 10, 10am, pregame skate, tailgate to game time. Smoke a pork butt and some chickens. Plan.

Who's with me?  Figuratively, of course, you can smoke your own pork butt. :thumbsup:  I'm also bringing the last of my soft-shells, some rock (fish), goose sausage, a deer backstrap, and some duck poppers. Yum.  Mrs. Coastal will probably tone it down, but I'm bringing some stuff.

I guess my optimism is shining through. Always get excited this time of year. It's just more fun.

I agree with you on RF not hurting us.  I'm looking long term(3yrs) anyways.  And i'll be tailgating 15min after I get off on Opening Night.

Don't just do something! Stand there.

Actually sometimes that is best, though I'd still have liked to see one pick up, I am excited to give a couple of Yutes a shot to show what they can do. Also, as mentioned before, one last look at what this team can do as constructed as well as what each player will bring hopefullly healthy and w/ the new coach before making signfinicant changes makes some sense.

It will be very slick indeed if a move opens up that is not apparent now and Francis makes a nice move down the road.

Definitely time to start feeling that optimism glow. But not too much or it might wake up he who shall not be named.

Oh and I hope we are keeping Lotkionov on speed dial. If he didn't have the injury I bet we would have signed him. He really made a difference, especially on the PP. And should be relativey cheap at this point. And can play center.

Edited by remkin

I hope this optimism is contagious. I'm trying, I'm really trying. Its not that I don't think we could be better then last season because we could. But I'm still in the show me mode. I am looking forward to seeing how training camp shakes out.

I doubt we have Loktionov on speed dial. I think the injury only sealed his fate with us. I doubt we ever had any serious intention of re-signing him.

I do see room for another deal before season starts. It might not be a big move but we do have the money and I think a few of our players could be moved. I'm not saying we will make a move but only there is room to make a move.

I know it was a small sample size, but I liked Lotkionov and he seemed to be getting better over time. Sure his history wasn't as strong, but he never really got serious scoring line opportunities before here. Over a short period he put up .5 ppg, which the patented remkin projection model would predict 40 points. Also, .5 ppg was good for #4 forward in ppg.on this team last year.

He was also on the newly formed and finally effective first PP unit that was actually good at the end of the year.

I can't imagine he would cost much either.

However, the injury does change things. Guys take a while to get back to form afte something like that, and we can't use a spot for a guy like him to rehab. On the other hand, and I doubt he would do it, but if just for arguement sake he would sign one of those Boychuk type 2 ways and rehab a bit in the AHL I'd sign him in a second. I guess if he signs in the KHL he's not available?

Anyhow, if there were any way to keep him on the radar for later, we could do worse.

Edited by remkin

I wouldn't have been opposed to us signing Lotkionov or for that matter still signing him if he is healthy. He did bring energy and a spark to the power play. I just don't think it was in the cards.

Even before the injury there seemed to be doubt he would actually come back to the NHL. Rumor had it that the KHL was offering him good money.  After the injury I think the risk/reward wasn't there. I just don't think Lotkionov was in RFs plan to change the culture of the team moving forward.

You may well be right, but I'm curious what you mean by Loktionov not being part of the culture change. Was he a problem?

Plus not sure what players have been added or removed by Francis that would affect any culture change. It's the same team.

Gleason? OK, but Gleason was part of the bad culture team too.

Clearly it would appear that the coaching staff will have to institute the culture change at this point, with or without Loktionov.

I think I'd be less interested if Francis had picked up anyone one else of top 9 significance.

Edited by remkin

You may well be right, but I'm curious what you mean by Loktionov not being part of the culture change. Was he a problem?

Plus not sure what players have been added or removed by Francis that would affect any culture change. It's the same team.

Gleason? OK, but Gleason was part of the bad culture team too.

Clearly it would appear that the coaching staff will have to institute the culture change at this point, with or without Loktionov.

I think I'd be less interested if Francis had picked up anyone one else of top 9 significance.

Let me say although I used the phrase culture change at this point I have no idea what that means. Unless it means stop losing. I think Francis has a plan, I think he has an idea what he wants and I think it involves speed and grit. But until we start to see the team take shape or the first couple of moves down the road we won't know.

As for Gleason maybe RF thinks he wasn't used correctly or seeking the old Timmy and he was willing to give him a chance to prove he still can be "grumpy".

As for Loktionov well my feeling is that  he is looking for a different type of player then Loktionov. I could be wrong and it is difficult to put into words because of the uncertainty surrounding this team.

I'm sure we want the playoffs and I hope we get them but I think this is an evaluation year. I would put money down that the team that starts this season won't be the team the finishes the season.

I know Loktionov was not the whole reason, but when he came over and Muller finally restructured the PP units, our PP came alive for the first and only time in a long time.

It's a separate issue, but I hope that Peters looks at film of the two new PP units Muller created at the end of the year and keeps those roughly in tact. I think the PP was up over 20% at one point at the end of the year.

Reading about Ryan Malone over on Hockey Buzz. Apparently Pittsburg is mulling over looking at him. Could he be useful to our 3rd or 4th line?

I would be more concerned with the lines he is snorting than his on ice lines.

.  .  .

Actually, I suspect I'm more optimistic than many here.   I know I was last year; I saw a team more often than not playing better than their record showed, and up till the last several weeks of the season I expected them to break through and make a run at the playoffs.  One big reason for sharing my thoughts now on managements off season activity (or lack thereof) is to get those thoughts out there on a "Saturday".  I really hate Monday morning quarterbacking and I don't want to leave myself open to the perception of such if this issue comes up later.

In spite of everything, I do expect the Canes to be in the hunt for a playoff spot this year and maybe even a bit more if a couple things go our way (some combination of Boychuk/ Terry/ Murphy stepping up, Khudini/ Ward perhaps giving us the best goalie tandem in the league, a return to form by the Big Guns, some Peters magic, etc.)  But I'm still worried that with our lack of depth the injuries that every team experiences will hurt not just the line directly impacted but others down the line as Peters is forced to slide players around to fill in. 

Anyways, now that I've got that out there, I won't continue to rain on any parades, lol. As they say, onwards and upwards!     

Edited by LakeLivin

Lake, you aren't raining on my parade.  I still say this team will go as far as the defense and goaltending will take us. 

It's no secret that I'm not enamored with this defense.  It's not deep and we are likely starting out over slotting whomever ends up being paired with Hainsey.  I'm not sure what to expect out of the goaltending, but that pair could be pretty good or we end up running Khudobin in the ground like we have with others.....

With that said, I am excited for the season to start.

Edited by coastal_caniac

On Loktionov:

Here's an excerpt from a News and Observer article that came out when we first acquired Loktionov: http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/03/06/3680089/canes-loktionov-gives-up-money.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Loktionov fielded offers from KHL teams after last season – one reportedly for $3 million.

“My agent talked to them, but I was not ready to go back,” Loktionov said. “I am a young guy and this is the best league in the world. It’s not about the money for a young guy. I’m happy to be playing here, against the good players.”

Loktionov had a one-year, $725,000 contract with the Devils. He’ll be a restricted free agent after the season and Rutherford said he has no concerns about Loktionov being tempted to leave for the KHL.

“I really don’t know, but if he does it just gives us flexibility to do something else,” Rutherford said. “If we were still sitting here with Tuomo we wouldn’t have that flexibility. Andrei, if he decides to go back to the KHL, it just opens a spot for someone else.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sounds to me like he stood a decent chance of coming back if he hadn't been injured.

I also ran across an interesting series of articles that a Devils fan over at SB Nation did regarding the effects of passing on wins.  He mentioned Loktionov several times; here's one quote:

"I touched on Andrei Loktionov’s exceptional passing in the neutral zone piece, but also see a strong passing presence in the defensive zone. Going forward in the offensive zone, he was good, but not as exceptional. Granted, passes in the offensive zone are much more difficult to complete."

Here's the link to that article which in turn links 7 others that analyze some interesting stats trying to quantifying the passing game. http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2014/8/18/5926073/2013-2014-devils-passing-review-does-accuracy-matter

In the past I and others have mentioned the passing game as being an apparent weakness for the Canes, but it's so hard to identify (much less quantify) it isn't often discussed.  If Loktionov is above average at passing with respect to moving the puck up the ice, I wonder if that might have contributed to the boost we saw in the PP after we acquired him? 

Oh, and OBX, I like your new avatar.  It makes it easy to identify whose post it is just by scanning the picture. 

cclifford10, I am aware of his proclivities, but would be willing to extend him an opportunity to retake his life, but on a very short leash. He was outstanding, as I recall on the PP, a skill we could use? Apparently he and many others are working out hard this summer on one of these demanding training facilities, so the question, "Will this have been his low point" in his dependency lifestyle? Could be another low risk, high gain scenarios, or does RF just not want the headache?

Assuming that it's not a quick sellout (right) I plan on picking up a couple of tickets and making a day of it. If it flies, swims, or walks, we'll grill it and eat it.

Assuming that it's not a quick sellout (right) I plan on picking up a couple of tickets and making a day of it. If it flies, swims, or walks, we'll grill it and eat it.

Now there's a man with a schedule and a sophisticated palate, like mine.  And he has a grill.

The boys are back in town...at least some of them

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  Aug 25

Canes at RCI for informal skate include Gleason, Harrison, Bellemore, Murphy, Boychuk, Dwyer. Ward in net. Westgarth skating with guys.

Malone also at informal. Familiar face: Bobby Sanguinetti also skating with Canes.

@ice_chip  ·  1h

Jiri Tlusty skating today at RCI.

Chip also posted a pic of Rosey's locker so I guess he is there too. I'm happy there is ice in Raleigh and somebody is skating on it.

Ah, thanks for the update. Isn't this a little early tho?

Well its that RCI thing so I guess if your in town you need to skate somewhere. It sounds like it is very informal.

Did you hear that a mega hockey center in Morrisville received funding?  It will have two full sized rinks and the Canes will use it as a practice facility.  I live in Morrisville, so this is exciting to me!

Sorry, I couldn't find the link.  Saw it on my FB wall yesterday.