The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Lake, you aren't raining on my parade.  I still say this team will go as far as the defense and goaltending will take us. 

It's no secret that I'm not enamored with this defense.  It's not deep and we are likely starting out over slotting whomever ends up being paired with Hainsey.  I'm not sure what to expect out of the goaltending, but that pair could be pretty good or we end up running Khudobin in the ground like we have with others.....

With that said, I am excited for the season to start.

Coastal, although I know we won't be the Bruins, I'm more optimistic about the defense this year than you.  In his 35 games with the Canes last year JML averaged just over 20m of ice time and ended up a +7, the only Canes d-man other than Sekera to end up in the positive.  I expect him to pick up where he left off and have a nice season this year.  I am concerned about the third pair.  Not expecting much from Gleason, to be honest.  My guess is that the state of Murphy's development might go a long way towards dictating how well the overall D does this year (depth and offensive spark).       

Edited by LakeLivin

My guess is that the state of Murphy's development might go a long way towards dictating how well the overall D does this year (depth and offensive spark).       

I agree about Murphy.  Wasn't this the year (experience-wise) where McBain took a big step back?  He showed promise like Murphy (heck, and Faulk for that matter) but then seemed to completely forget his puck-handling skills.  I would love to see Murphy gain 15-20 pounds IF he could maintain his speed.  I worry about durability if he continues developing well and is moved up the pairings.  

I was just reading a Pens article about Brandon Sutter.  http://www.pensburgh.com/2014/8/25/6067091/beating-a-dead-horse-penguins-brandon-sutter

A Pens fan had an interesting perspective about J Staal (I added the highlighting)

"The salary cap did not force Jordan Staal out of town. Shero was willing to commit to the contract Staal got in Carolina $6mil/season. They would have found a way to make it work. Basically if you have Staal, you don’t have to pay Sutter ($3.3) and Spaling ($2.2). Staal is better than both of them by a wide margin.

If you are looking at points only, no, Staal does not deserve $6mil/yr, but it would be foolish to only focus on that. He outscores other teams top lines. There’s literally nothing more you can ask of a player."

@aronvad

Edited by LakeLivin

I agree about Murphy.  Wasn't this the year (experience-wise) where McBain took a big step back?  He showed promise like Murphy (heck, and Faulk for that matter) but then seemed to completely forget his puck-handling skills.  I would love to see Murphy gain 15-20 pounds IF he could maintain his speed.  I worry about durability if he continues developing well and is moved up the pairings.  

I like the Hainsey/ JML pairing, so I hope that Murphy can further his development on the third line. 

And I think you're right about Faulk; he still seems to draw the brunt of (hype? praise? accolades? attention?) on the Canes D while Sekera was far and away the Canes best d-man last year imo.

Edited by LakeLivin

That's a good point on J. Lake. I honestly beleive J will score substantially more points this year also.

On Murphy. I have seen Jamie McBain. I have seen Ryan Murphy. Ryan Murphy is not Jamie "own goal" McBain.  McBain did have a very good run at the end of that one year, but after that he did not develop and repeatedly showed up out of shape. Murphy has offensive skills McBain can dream about. Murphy will surprise a lot of people this year.

On the defense one point I had made got picked up on by a Fantasy writer at NHL.com, and now as I type, Lake brings Faulk up, is that Faulk is cleary a guy on the upswing. And while his offense does not jump out at you the way Murphy does, it is improving kind of quietly and has put up decent numbers. Faulk's improvement is harder to see because so many of us already have an image of him as a fully pollished all star, but he is still very yound in dman years. His improvement will let him and Sekera be a very solid first pairing.

There goes my optimism again...

From Chip:

Canes not expected to have any players on professional tryouts (other than LaRose) at training camp. No other FA signings expected.

I guess what we see is what we got. Big training camp coming up for some.

Early for what? Skating? I'd hope they've been skating all summer.

Of course, richardfoc, I totally understand that! What I meant by "early" was to start congregating here in Raleigh, but maybe I'm just remembering the "informals" apparently organized 1st by Brindy, then Rosey. I thought they were a little later in Sept?

And OBXer, I had held out some hope that we might see camp invitees, or else some very late pre-season move. There goes that hope dashed as well.

Coastal, although I know we won't be the Bruins, I'm more optimistic about the defense this year than you.  In his 35 games with the Canes last year JML averaged just over 20m of ice time and ended up a +7, the only Canes d-man other than Sekera to end up in the positive.  I expect him to pick up where he left off and have a nice season this year.  I am concerned about the third pair.  Not expecting much from Gleason, to be honest.  My guess is that the state of Murphy's development might go a long way towards dictating how well the overall D does this year (depth and offensive spark).       

Come back and talk to me when guys start to go down, and they will, and we start shifting bottom pairing guys into roles and ice time they can't fill. 

That's why our defenses over the last 5 years have been so bad. 

That, and we haven't had anybody that was a threat from the point that can absolutely put a bomb on net.  Faulk has one, but he hasn't really used it to this point.  Agree on Murph, he's a ?, but if he can put it together it could make a big difference.

But, glad your optimistic.  We shall see.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Come back and talk to me when guys start to go down, and they will, and we start shifting bottom pairing guys into roles and ice time they can't fill. 

And we've come full circle to why I'm disappointed that the Canes didn't add any depth this offseason. :) Granted, I'm a bit more worried about the offense on that front, but your point is very well taken. 

Edited by LakeLivin

And we've come full circle to why I'm disappointed that the Canes didn't add any depth this offseason. :) Granted, I'm a bit more worried about the offense on that front, but your point is very well taken. 

Well, we added Gleason and Bellemore to Liles and Harrison.  I think that would qualify as our depth moves. :cry:

But we didn't sign any bad contracts, so again, I'm excited to see how it plays out.  Not far from live hockey.

I'm sure he did want to play here because I believe he wouldn't have gotten a better offer that would have justified moving his family. All I'm saying is he wasn't a steal BD not that I don't want him here if he can find his game.

I guess Gleason's play will determine if he is a steal or not, but he does seem to be a low risk play. Not that all low risk plays pay off (see Komisarek) but some do (see Khudoben).

Is Gleason so slow that he is not better than Bellemore or Harrison? I have no idea. But seems low risk to add some more depth to the bottom half of the defense, especially recalling the debacle of the lockout year where our staggering lack of defensive depth was exposed to goalie injuries...

Another thing, if Gleason really had trouble fitting in w/ Muller, et al., he might return to a better form w/ new coaching.

And finally, everyone wants more grit and sandpaper, and Gleason can surely bring that. 

Like all of Francis' moves so far...low risk, possible low to moderate return. But at a position where we need depth.

I also like Gleason and Bellemore on 1 year deals. Next year, we will have room to bump up Sekera's salary and there is room for Murphy, Fleury and don't count Pesce out of the picture either (although he likely gets some seasoning in the AHL).

Here is why I think that Semin is better than Staal.

Last five years:

ES G/60:
Semin: 1.102
Staal: 0.752

ES A/60:
Semin: 1.259
Staal: 1.325

ES P/60:
Semin: 2.36
Staal: 2.08

GF20:
Semin: 1.111
Staal: 0.928

GA20:
Semin: .713
Staal: .954

GF%:
Semin: 60.9%
Staal: 49.3%

CF%:
Semin: 53.3%
Staal: 50.8%

Let's not even get started on the +/-.

Given that Semin played with a wrist injury all season and E was coming off a major knee injury, I'm optimistic about a return to form for both this year.

Just think back on that brief moment in time when Semin and E. were in sync. It was amazing. The result was a guy like Tlusty on a near 40 goal pace.

This was the final list of top goal scorers over the lockout year:

I'm not making this up.

In order:

Ovechkin

Stamkos

Tavares

Carter

Kane

Tlusty

That was what E./Semin did.

Justin Faulk is back in town,skating and talking

Canes’ Faulk aims for playoffs - Chip Alexander

“I haven’t made the playoffs,” he said. “It’s tough to go home knowing you didn’t make it, that you fell short. I mean, there’s only one team that wins each year but you’ve got to make the playoffs.

I don't know if attitude is part of the culture change but after reading the story I think Faulk got the memo. I liked what he said.

He also said "we like our group". :D  But he's a player so that's not bad.

From that article: I did not realize this:

Hainsey, 11 years in NHL. No playoffs.