The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I guess the Hurricane season (the NHL kind) has offically begun,  I saw a car this afternoon flying Canes' flags.

Apparently Tlusty and I go the same chiropracter.  I was at his office yesterday for my weekly adjustment and he told me that Juri had also come in that morning for an adjustment and told him that he felt that he was in the best shape of his career

I tire of focusing on "what went wrong".

I think I'll go find a more interesting thread.  Oh yeah, there's a camp and preseason topic.

I'm done with this here thread.

It's dead, and training camp is underway.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I do think we've kind of beaten the "no pipeline" thing to death, but yes we are a tad thin, especially the d pipeline after Fleury. Luckily we have some defensive depth that is not really pipeline (unless you count Bellemore, on a two way as pipeline). Assuming Murphy takes that 4th spot, then we have Harrison, Gleason, JML, and Bellemore to fill two spots giving us 2 extras.

Some of that thin pipeline is due to guys like Faulk, Skinner, and Linholm spending litte to no time actually in the pipeline. It's worth remembering that guys in Juniors and College are also in the pipeline. Also we traded part of our pipeline for J. That number 8 pick would be right there in the pipeline. But we do have J. and while he has to show more offense to justify the paycheck, I'd still rather have J. than one more guy in the pipeline.

Heck, Boychuk is still a pipeline guy, as is Terry. Older pipeline, but pipeline none-the-less.

Also Murphy is a pipeline guy in fairness.

Then there are McGinn, Fluery, Kidsky and now we have to take notice of Rask who looks like he might be making a statement. Some think Woods might be a long shot to make the team. He is pretty big at 6'4" 210.

As I have made painfully clear I've been a big fan of McGinn and really think he'll see NHL games this year.

Even further down the pipe DiGuiseppe has the tools, even if he didn't explode at Michigan. Might surprise in the AHL.

Personally I think Nedeljokic's future is very bright, and Alshuller is closer to ready.

Threre is a tier of dmen: Bieaga, Lowe, and maybe even eventually Wesley.

Edited by remkin

Good point on Pesce Law-Dawg, when I wrote that line about the next tier of d prospects I had that feeling I was forgetting someone.

Thanks...I think he's gonna be a good player for us and soon. Big kid and he seems to be exactly the kind of prospect we need. Here's a good article from Feb. Hopefully he keeps it up this year and maybe makes the jump to Charlotte after this NCAA season.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/2/4/5377674/unh-hockey-carolina-hurricanes-nhl-prospect-brett-pesce-eric-knodel-trevor-van-riemsdyk

Edited by Law-Dawg

This may sound weird but I have the same concern with Pesce that I have with Tolchinsky.  I just looked at the 2014-15 UNH roster and Pesce is listed at 6'3" and 175 lbs.   I'd wager that at this point his body is even less ready for the NHL than Tolchinsky's 5'8" and 165lbs.  Pesce turns 20 in 2 months so let's hope he fills out and doesn't just have an extreme ectomorphic body type.

This may sound weird but I have the same concern with Pesce that I have with Tolchinsky.  I just looked at the 2014-15 UNH roster and Pesce is listed at 6'3" and 175 lbs.   I'd wager that at this point his body is even less ready for the NHL than Tolchinsky's 5'8" and 165lbs.  Pesce turns 20 in 2 months so let's hope he fills out and doesn't just have an extreme ectomorphic body type.

Well he is 6'3" so lets hope he morphs into someone a bit more substantial  ;) 

Here is the NHL.com preview of the team.

Consistency critical as Carolina Hurricanes try to end drought in 2014-15 season - 2014-2015 Season Preview

Very fair and matter of fact. No predictions, and no surprise information. I guess I can at least say that they are not writing us off, though these previews seem to be generally neutral or positive in tone.

If you click on and take the little poll about which team will improve more this year:

Maple Leafs, Hurricanes, Islanders, Panthers or Sabres, the results show us decidedly lowest. 

Part of that is probably having a smaller fan base, but it just feeds into the whole idea that we are perceived as little hope by outside media, and hopeless by outside fans. 

All the sweeter when we surprise everyone!

its time to shock the world!  Ok, i have a  bad  cold, but i can dream, right?

I'll settle for "surprise the league" which I think is completely realistic. :grin:

Edited by LakeLivin

Interesting D-pairings based on the groups as well.  Looks like Murphy is going to be given a chance right out of the gate paired with Sekera.  I figured he would start with Hainsey, but what do I know.

From yesterdays Tracking The Storm:

Faulk and Sekera combined to be the team’s best defensive pairing last season and are expected to play together again this year. But that’s not to say the coaching staff won’t at least experiment.

“With the D pairings, we’re going to mix and match a little bit. We know we can always go to Sekera-Faulk as a pair. We know that. We don’t need to play them together all through the preseason,” Peters said. “We need a left-handed D man to go over and play on the right side, so we’ll experiment with some different guys. John-Michael Liles tells me he’s comfortable over there, and he’s got the skill set that says he should be able to do it. That’s what we’re going to be trying to find out in the preseason.”

Quote: Slapshot:

Does Faulk get the "A" this year?

That would be a pretty good bet I think. There has been a lot of talk about certain guys taking a more active leadership role and his name has come up more than anyone else in that regaurd this offseason. I'm just guessing that Gleason in his new role might not be the guy for the letter, plus they need some sign of moving forward not backward, especially since J. will keep his A, and Eric his C. They'll likely pick someone from the D, and the trend is to identify your young riser and give them a letter. Justin has been talking more like a leader this offseason. The conspiracy part of me thinks he's been told to, and already told he's getting it.

That said: This is purely speculation (my specialty). Could go to Sekera or even back to Gleason. Hainsey would seem to be a good guy for it too.

Edited by remkin

Quote: Slapshot:

That would be a pretty good bet I think. There has been a lot of talk about certain guys taking a more active leadership role and his name has come up more than anyone else in that regaurd this offseason. I'm just guessing that Gleason in his new role might not be the guy for the letter, plus they need some sign of moving forward not backward, especially since J. will keep his A, and Eric his C. They'll likely pick someone from the D, and the trend is to identify your young riser and give them a letter. Justin has been talking more like a leader this offseason. The conspiracy part of me thinks he's been told to, and already told he's getting it.

That said: This is purely speculation (my specialty). Could go to Sekera or even back to Gleason. Hainsey would seem to be a good guy for it too.

Makes sense.  He and Skinner were talking about stepping up their leadership last season.

From the outside looking in (with no knowledge of the locker room pecking order), I'd have to think they sew the A on Hainsey's jersey. Under the old regime, it would have been Faulk, hands down. Andy and Barney have left town though and hopefully things will be different.

I want it to go to someone who actually leads, not to the best player or to someone you want to lead. That's why I was so disappointed we didn't re-sign Malhotra.  I'm not saying Faulk (or Skinner) can't be that person, just haven't seen any sign of it yet.  

A nice story about Chad LaRose in todays newsobserver.com

sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.

I know some don't feel the same way but I can't help pulling for the guy. I didn't like the way it all played out 2 seasons ago. I hope no matter what happens it is a happier ending for everyone.

I want it to go to someone who actually leads, not to the best player or to someone you want to lead. That's why I was so disappointed we didn't re-sign Malhotra.  I'm not saying Faulk (or Skinner) can't be that person, just haven't seen any sign of it yet.  

Leadership?

Edited by super_dave_1

Leadership hell yes!  I wish Hainsey would have beaten him into a permanent coma.  Sometimes that's all that d-bags/goons understand.

In case it was misunderstood, I wasn't questioning Hainsey as a leader, I was saying he was the answer (in my book at least). He was the only guy last year to do something like that.

The new lighting at the arena is great. The ice really stands out without the glare of the old system, and not as much bleed over to the stands. Now if they can work on the sound, Two different music bits playing while the announcer trying to shout the info at you is a bit too much.