The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Colliefan, let's just say it was preseason all around......  Lots of things to be worked out still. 

I went to the game with my neice, who is 16, and she wasn't too impressed either.

First let me say that attendance was very low.  Probably the lowest I've seen since I've had season tickets in 2001.  It's not surprising though, given the nice weather and the teams past performance.

The National Anthem singer was ok but I think she tried a little too hard and varied a bit from the more traditional singing.  I'm not sure if she will be permanent or not.

Neither of us was impressed by the new music selections.  It was too loud and mostly techno noise.

They had two Canes trivia segments with Amber Jae and both were really bad.  First question was which Cane is from Minnesota? Hainsey, Sekera (maybe) and Faulk.  The fan had no idea, so she eliminated Hainsey and turned it into a 50/50 guess.  The fan guessed right and said Faulk.  The second segement question was what number do you get when you add up the jersey numbers of J Staal, Sekera and Gerbe.  The fan had no idea what any of the jersey numbers were, so Amber Jae had to tell them and then hope they could add correctly.  It took a little bit but they did.

I realize that for a preseason game, your pool of contestants is way lower than usual, but these were definitely the two worst segements I've ever seen.  They were flat out embarrassing.  On the bright side, not too many people had to see them.

They also did the usual shoot the puck in the net during the first intermission and musical chairs during the second.  They were ok.

I will agree that the new LED lighting is much better.  It definitely provides for a much more of an even white lit environment with no spotlight effects anywhere.

Regardless of all I've stated above, we were both happy to be back at a hockey game.

Hopefully, the Canes play will improve this season and we won't spend any time talking about this stuff going forward!

Edited by ncradford

No worries, super dave....wasn't questioning you at all  I do agree with you on liking Hainsey for the A as well as agreeing with you for him standing up for Dobi on that play.  This, (or any) team loses credibility for not bringing the Cavalry on such goonery as that.

I want it to go to someone who actually leads, not to the best player or to someone you want to lead. That's why I was so disappointed we didn't re-sign Malhotra.  I'm not saying Faulk (or Skinner) can't be that person, just haven't seen any sign of it yet.  

. Lake, I agree it should go to someone who actually leads but unfortunately that limits the selection.REM,I agree that mgmt seems to want Faulk to be the guy. Based on a lack of knowledge of the goings on in the locker room and the lack of evident leaders, my vote would go to Sekera. He did lead by example and was very solid a year.He may be as quiet as a church mouse in the locker room though.

I have never really liked the idea of hanging "C"s or "A"s on the jerseys of young players.  I think the leadership role should go to more of the grizzled vets who have earned respect in the league.

I have never really liked the idea of hanging "C"s or "A"s on the jerseys of young players.  I think the leadership role should go to more of the grizzled vets who have earned respect in the league.

I agree! But for this year, I think all the letter's should be up for grabs and distributed according to performance on and off the ice. Both Staal's need to earn them all over again!

I actually like the idea of Hainsey or Sekera, I am just predicting Faulk by reading between the lines. But I would definitely not bet the house on that prediction.

Mclement wore an "A" in Toronto, but it will probably go to a d-man.

Just throwing that out there, personally I think the letters are somewhat meaningless. I posted an article here a long time ago, it was interview with an ex-player who basically said all the guys in the room know who the leaders are regardless of who has a letter stitched on their jersey.

Per WRAL:

Who gets the letters?

Peters says they haven’t decided on who will wear the letters for the Hurricanes this upcoming season. 

“We haven’t been around our guys enough. This is going to be a great trip going to Buffalo and New York to be around our guys," Peters said. "We are not just going to give out letters without knowing our group. Like you can do it by giving your three best players letters if you want, you can give it to your three heart and soul guys, but I got to find out who is the guy talking in the room, who is the guy saying the right things it’s the meeting after the meeting that is important. Who is leading that? Are the relaying the right message? So we will take our time and figure that out.”

Per WRAL:

Who gets the letters?

Peters says they haven’t decided on who will wear the letters for the Hurricanes this upcoming season. 

“We haven’t been around our guys enough. This is going to be a great trip going to Buffalo and New York to be around our guys," Peters said. "We are not just going to give out letters without knowing our group. Like you can do it by giving your three best players letters if you want, you can give it to your three heart and soul guys, but I got to find out who is the guy talking in the room, who is the guy saying the right things it’s the meeting after the meeting that is important. Who is leading that? Are the relaying the right message? So we will take our time and figure that out.”

:yippee::applaud::banana::cheers::applause::rockon::woohoo::yahoo:

:yippee::applaud::banana::cheers::applause::rockon::woohoo::yahoo:

Just really wanted to quote all those emoticons. 

But I agree. Wait and see who steps up. Don't just sew the letter on before the guy even arrives. 

Chill in the air this morning, first thing I thought about was hockey is almost here.  Does anyone think its possible Peters will not give Eric the C?   I feel like the last thing Eric needs is another blast to his confidence and to be stripped of it, however he does make 8mil a year so he should be able to be a big boy and get over it.  I still think he deserves it, the guy leads  the team in scoring even when he is spending the year recovering from knee surgery.   However, a captain shouldn't spend 40% of the season dogging it and looking like he doesn't feel like playing.  That could definitely warrant  the C being taken away.  I guess its up to him to work his butt off in camp, just answered my own question.  Question 2, Who would be the number 2 candidate for captain as of now?  I can't think of anyone deserving of it going by last year.

I can't imagine under any circumstance that Peters would strip the C from Eric. The last time we made such a move the hockey gods frowned on us. I don't think it matters if your making $8 an hour or $8 million, if you did this it would lead to resentment. If you don't think the guy you chose for your future and built the team around can do the job then you let him go (trade him). 

Yeah I agree. I think we're all in w/ Eric at this point. I think the idea is to give him one last chance to make it work. Ask San Jose about how that stripping the "C" thing is working out. Now they have a very weird situation. They've made their superstar the fall guy for the team. But they have a superior team. They'll get through it. Our team? Not superior at this point.

Anyway, I think Francis and (now Peters) Eric have had some serious talks about expectations both productivity and leadership. The plan is to go forward with every belief in Eric as a player and a leader, but that there needs to be results. I suspect things like starting games on time, cutting down the stupid stick penatlies, being a plus player, leading by example, combined w/ his tremendous upside if he puts it all out there, have been discussed.

If E. fails as the captain, then I think he will be traded rather than have the C stripped.

BUT, this is the time of year for optimsim. And I really think we are going to see Eric come out blazing and have one of his best starts.

Edited by remkin

If this season fails and we do not appear to be in the playoff hunt by the dead line, like many have said.  I fully expect us to unload the Staals and probably even buy out ward/trade him and go into full rebuild mode.  

Does anyone think its possible Peters will not give Eric the C?

Given that Peters will have had only a couple of weeks to assess players leadership styles I wouldn't mind doing what Montreal did and start the season with multiple As and no C.  No idea if Peters might be considering that or not . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

Just heard on an ESPN radio update that PK is open to selling the team, because "I'm 71 and these are the things you think about when you're 71."  

Haven't found a link to a story yet, but I'm sure one's coming today.  I really hope he puts a stipulation in there that the team cannot be moved or that the NHL will as a stip for approving the new owner.  

Sorry to put this under this here, but I haven't posted enough yet to start a new topic myself.

Just heard on an ESPN radio update that PK is open to selling the team, because "I'm 71 and these are the things you think about when you're 71."  

Haven't found a link to a story yet, but I'm sure one's coming today.  I really hope he puts a stipulation in there that the team cannot be moved or that the NHL will as a stip for approving the new owner.  

Sorry to put this under this here, but I haven't posted enough yet to start a new topic myself.

You're a day late . :)   http://fans.hurricanes.nhl.com/community/topic/22415-karmanos-looking-to-divest-canes-ownership-over-time/

Part of what Karmanos said:

"What I am trying to do is set up a reasonable succession plan because I'm not one of those guys who thinks I am going to go on forever," Karmanos said in an interview. "I'd like to have a partner again...but someone will have to pay dearly for it. (The Hurricanes are) a valuable franchise despite what some of your folk in Canada say about them. I don't see a basketball or baseball or football team coming here. We're going to be the lone ranger here (in Raleigh) for quite some time."

Edited by LakeLivin

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2014/notebook/_/page/nhlpreview2014_car/carolina-hurricanes

Surprise, surprise, the ESPN experts are picking us to finish last this year.  On another note...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/32224/can-ron-francis-change-culture-in-carolina

Former Cane Jeff O'Neill's thoughts on the Canes.  He really doesn't like Semin.

You know what I'd like to see is one analyst with some imagination. It's always the same. Last year's team did X. They added Y. Y is not enough to change X, therefore the team will do X again or worse. Rinse. Repeat. 

But what if X is far better than it was last year? X plus if you will. Few so called experts ever predict that or even consider it in some cases.

I absolutely get the sentiment and that it will be the group think of the experts. That's why most of them miss the teams that surprise each year. 

While I can't say that we will absolutely make the playoffs, for this group to come in last, you really have to imagine an implosion. 

I get that the two worst teams in the East are in the Atlantic (the other division). And Strang is basically thinking the Islanders, who finished 4 points back of us in last, have improved more than us, but this notion that everyone in the national media is so sure we are not going to be any better than last year kills me. Washington and NJ hardly look like juggernauts. And the media's sudden slobbering love fest with Columbus may leave them slightly disappointed. They are a solid team, but again, not that special. 

If this team comes out slow and can't muster anything, things could implode. But there is just as good of a chance that key guys bounce back to their normals while a few key kids move up a notch, and that combined with a new coach and GM this team hits its' potential. And that looks far different than the experts see things.

Edited by remkin

Well O'Neill didn't pull any punches. I went away from the article asking myself how much animosity he might harbor against the organization or is he just calling it like he sees it. It isn't like many of us don't have the same lingering questions about this team but I'm willing to watch it play out. This team could be very good or very bad.

It appears to me that all those who were not silenced or at least curtailed by some of Carolinas success have now reappeared to pile on and join the Carolina isn't really a hockey market crowd. Maybe its the best thing that could happen because when your back hits the wall we usually come out swinging.