The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I really hope and feel confident that the few changes made will bring different results of a positive nature this year.  I also agree with the statement below.  If by Thanksgiving this team has not shown that they are capable, I do think it will be time to light the fuse and blow it up.  At least I hope that is what they do.  Then again, I have thought that for the last 2-3 years and not very much has changed.  You can't make chicken salad out of chicken &%$#.  If the new GM and new Coach don't change it, maybe new players will.

If this season fails and we do not appear to be in the playoff hunt by the dead line, like many have said.  I fully expect us to unload the Staals and probably even buy out ward/trade him and go into full rebuild mode.  

Rainy and cold day on Emerald Isle.Great day for one last dream before the season begins.The Blackhawks are still 2.2 mil over cap.If they traded Kris Versteeg they would be salary compliant. Kris would be a great addition for us as he is a RW who can score.CMON Ronnie,Suprise me.

Rainy and cold day on Emerald Isle.Great day for one last dream before the season begins.The Blackhawks are still 2.2 mil over cap.If they traded Kris Versteeg they would be salary compliant. Kris would be a great addition for us as he is a RW who can score.CMON Ronnie,Suprise me.

That would be nice, but I don't see we could make it work even if PK would give Ronnie the cash. What would Chicago need in return for Versteeg?  They can't take salary in return, and we're already really shallow when it comes to prospects. And we probably wouldn't want to give up a 1st round draft pick next year given the MacDavid/ Eichel lottery.  I just don't see it, especially since we didn't bite at some of the UFAs that wouldn't have cost anything besides their salary. . .

With J Staal having suffered a broken leg what do we do now?  I know Rask has been good but even so. I have thought all summer we were one top 6 short and now we lose J. I think Francis is going to earn his pennies figuring this out.

Do we go shopping?

We've gone from being pretty strong down the middle to very weak in one blow.

It's one thing to look to the kids to fill in on the third line, but second line center? That's asking a lot. 

Thing is there's no FA left, so we'd have to look at a trade. Who has a center to spare, and what do we have to give?

With J Staal having suffered a broken leg what do we do now?  I know Rask has been good but even so. I have thought all summer we were one top 6 short and now we lose J. I think Francis is going to earn his pennies figuring this out.

Do we go shopping?

We hope.  And worst case start printing McDonald jerseys in July

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Nash-Lindholm
Gerbe-Rask-Boychuk
McGinn-McClement-Dwyer
Malone

Maybe move Lindy to 2c who knows.  What I do know is that some place, some where, Chad LaRose has his head phones on listening to inspirational music preparing to be inserted into our top 6.  We just can't catch a break guys.  its happened again.

Tlusty-Staal-Semin

Skinner-Nash-Lindholm

Gerbe-Rask-Boychuk

McGinn-McClement-Dwyer

Malone

Maybe move Lindy to 2c who knows.  What I do know is that some place, some where, Chad LaRose has his head phones on listening to inspirational music preparing to be inserted into our top 6.  We just can't catch a break guys.  its happened again.

I was also thinking if we stay with who we have that is how the lineup will most probable shakeout. Except Malone where you have McGinn. Still a lot of camp left and time to figure it out. But this stinks.

I'd give up a first founder for a 28 year old proven scorer.Isn't Florida paying half his salary for the rest of his contract?

With as bad as this Canes team could be and considering the talent level in the draft next year there is no way I'd trade a potential high lottery pick for Versteeg no matter who is paying his contract.

You don't know what you have till it's gone.

For all the hand wringing about J. the guy was able to go +2 against the best centers in the league. So we basically played our second line against their first lines and came up ahead. Kind of shows where the problem was not. But now that shut down ability is in question for a while. 

This will be fine if our second and third lines can score. But every time we roll out a bunch of AHL'ers they skate around nice, but rarely score. Do we have a shut down line? Not likely w/ J. out.

It is very good that Rask is playing well, and he might just get the call now, but man that line up just looks much more minor league with J out and Rask in. I'm all for Rask proving me wrong, but he will have had to have taken a big step up in speed and skating this offseason for that to work. Nash is a decent defensive center and has had chemistry w/ Lindholm and Skinner.....

Loktionov would have been an interesting option, but my sense was he would not be ready for at least a few more weeks, but I could be wrong.

It would be nice to think Francis goes shopping, but there are several problems with that. One, Francis has made it clear he is trying to build an organization for the long haul, in generally we need a quick fix here.  Two, J. will be back at some point. Three, who could we trade that would bring back a #2 center?

I guess if we could land a good winger, we could try Lindholm in one of the center spots as a temporary fix then when J. returns, move people around. 

The only "not terrible" thing is that there is time in the pre season to either bring someone in, or get someone ice time in their new position.

If I had to guess, and based on how this offseason went, and how thin our tradeable assets are, and how Francis does not want to leverage the future for this year.....we fix this from within. 

I don't want to be a negative Nancy, but thus far our minor leaguers have not inspired too much. Looks like we are going to see a lot of them sooner than we thought. Hopefully one of them can put the puck in the net. I guess we're about to find out.

Messrs Boychuk, Terry, Rask, and McGinn? I'm looking at you guys. :howdy:  .

Edited by remkin

MCClemment is an "semi-elite" defensive center as well.  He almost won the selke a few years ago.  I think it is going to come down to this:  We were not expected to be good this year and alot of us doing well was based on no major injuries occurring.  Well they hit us big time.  Just enjoy seeing the kids this year and I think we will be bad this year and I am hoping that we land a 1-3 overall pick in a strong draft in order to have a winning team next season just like what happened with the Avs.

Edited by bluedevil58

The bright spot (if there is a bright spot) is that J should be back. My guess would be around the beginning of December but we won't know that until doctors weigh in. The dark side, other then the injury itself, is we really have no one on the roster other than E that can slide into his spot and do what he brought.

This team just became younger and less experienced. Its a pickle but I think we need to hope some of our young bunch now seize the opportunity and skate beyond expectations.

Here's a less obvious (but potentially very serious) downside to J's injury:  how hard is it going to be to evaluate whether the team "core" is fit to go forward and win or whether it needs to be blown up?  I fear that the contributions of a player like J aren't easily quantifiable via statistics (other than outscoring the other teams top line) so how to gauge where the team really is without him playing?  

On another note, I haven't seen that Loktionov has signed anywhere.  But I haven't seen that he's completely healed, either.  And even if he is, his tool set is completely different from Jordan's.  

Good points Lake. I had entertained that thought too (evaluation of the core with part of the core out). It will have to be a line by line player by player thing, but it will be tough if the team struggles...but then can you really trade E. with the team struggling without J. in there? I think you have to give E. two good wingers and evaluate his line and his leadership separately. Then wait for J to get back and go from there.

To be honest, you can't really blow up a team in November anyways. Few are ready to be that knee jerk and most other GM's are not ready to partake in serious trades that early. Now please don't get me wrong here...I am dazed and stunned, but I am not giving up, but IF the team has another down year, there really is no rush anyway. Francis can sit back and take the long view. Ideally compile some picks along the way, and some guys might be deadline deals.  

OK that is the "all is lost" side of me. We still have E, Semin, Tlusty, Skinner. I predict Lindholm will make a big move up and Murphy. If one of Boychuk, Rask, McGinn, or even Terry can contribute points and a couple of others good minutes. This could be the chance a guy like Boychuk needs to get some solid scorers minutes and PP time to show he can do it in the show. 

It's way too early to give up. Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!

Edited by remkin

Let's not be ridiculous and suggest McClement is anything other than what he is, a fourth line center.  The fourth line center slot isn't broken so there's no need to fix anything there.

And please let's not fall into Muller's dumb-assery and put a scoring center on the fourth line, regardless of whether it might be a prospect or not.

Injuries happen.  If we have to bring up a player fine.  But hopefully the days of the above are over and Peters slots guys where they belong, regardless of circumstances.

remkin-It's way too early to give up. Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!

Lol...but your right it is way to early to panic or talk about blowing up the team.  Tading E would be absurd and shouldn't even be part of a conversation. A move of some sort isn't out of the question but thats for Francis, Peters and the brain-trust to figure out. 

Let's not be ridiculous and suggest McClement is anything other than what he is, a fourth line center.  The fourth line center slot isn't broken so there's no need to fix anything there.

And please let's not fall into Muller's dumb-assery and put a scoring center on the fourth line, regardless of whether it might be a prospect or not.

Injuries happen.  If we have to bring up a player fine.  But hopefully the days of the above are over and Peters slots guys where they belong, regardless of circumstances.

I am not saying he is the 2nd 3rd line center.  But he is a top notch defensive center that almost won the selke.  So at least we are covered from a defensive center standpoint in Nash and McClemment.

Coastal, 

I just wonder if we can really stick with three scoring lines now. Since J. was largely functioning as a checking center with some upside,  if we pushed McClement up it would be to form more of a checking third line. It's not ideal. 

I haven't been able to watch Rask. Is he really ready to be slotted as a two way center at NHL speed? Is that really a better option? 

Is Lindholm ready to slot into second line center? Might be an option, crazy as it sounds. But it's really hard to imagine he's ready to take on the top centers in the league..which on away games would happen....

I'm just kicking things around. I guess we'll see what Peters does.

Edited by remkin

BD58, you are just too doom and gloom for my tastes.

Let's see how Eric,Tlusty, Semin, Skinner and Lindholm look before we start talking about picking 1-3 in the draft.

For god sakes, we haven't even played the 3rd preseason game yet.

The injury to Jordan sucks, but it's too early to load your revolver and shoot yourself.

Good points. I'd add this: let's not expect much out of Malone.  At this point he's not much more than a big physical AHLer who we hope can give us some depth on the 4th line.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll also note that I don't want to see McGinn prematurely slotted into the lineup.  He's a 6'0" 185 lb 20 yr old who has skills but plays a physical game.  Given his style of play and his positive potential, let's let him fill in a bit and actually develop him in Charlotte rather than throwing him to the wolves due to our lack of depth.

Edited by LakeLivin

Coastal, 

I just wonder if we can really stick with three scoring lines now. Since J. was largely functioning as a checking center with some upside,  if we pushed McClement up it would be to form more of a checking third line. It's not ideal. 

I haven't been able to watch Rask. Is he really ready to be slotted as a two way center at NHL speed? Is that really a better option? 

Is Lindholm ready to slot into second line center? Might be an option, crazy as it sounds. But it's really hard to imagine he's ready to take on the top centers in the league..which on away games would happen....

I'm just kicking things around. I guess we'll see what Peters does.

Is Nash?  Personally, I like Rask way more than Nash.  I'd be fine putting Rask at third line center.

Still, I would rather stick with the kids in their natural positions and take my chances.

So yes, I do think that's a much better option now, and looking to the future.

Edited by coastal_caniac

No way to candy coat it, the JStaal injury sucks, but Peters was on a squad last year that managed a MASH unit all season.  Maybe he can piece together a competitive squad for a while until J gets his boo boo all better.  It sounded like Rask was pushing Nash, so maybe they can hold down the fort on the 2nd and 3rd lines. Maybe they have a little "untapped potential".

Edited by super_dave_1