The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Well there is something to be said for really really giving the kids a shot. Baptism by fire. I guess you really find out what you've got.

Yeah, I'm not even sure Nash is the answer on the third line, let alone second. Rask seems to be emerging as the new golden boy. Last I saw him he looked slow and didn't really stand out at the AHL level, so I hope he sort of found his speed and is ready to show it. He did well in Traverse City and Chuck called out his good play last night...but still playing split squads. Can you tell I need to be sold on Rask? I really liked him before last year though...

Again, Linholm is a natural center, much more than Skinner, maybe he can get it done well enough early....then go back to wing?

At the moment no easy answers. 

Edited by remkin

I agree the answer will be tough, but it's not the end of the world, and it certainly doesn't call for making the same mistakes as in the past when injuries do happen.

I would bet pulling Lindholm from wing to center would be the first option Peters takes a look at.  And I would suspect if Rask continues to impress the staff then Rask will make the team.  When Jordan heals, he can easily be sent back to Charlotte.

As far as a golden boy, Rask has earned the praise, unlike some other prospects of the past.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Well I see we are off to our usual start. Key Piece injured, 0-2 and Ward has let in 6 goals in 2 games. Sounds about normal except this year we didnt wait for the regular season we started early. I have faith that Ronnie will steer this ship in the right direction and fix the issues and patch the holes. Preseason is a way to work the kinks out. Hope we can catch some good luck for once.

Edited by Kopes2718

I read a while back Lindy saying he liked skating wing and even preferred it. I would rather see him stay a wing because he seemed to be improving at the end of last season. I'm sure a move to center would bring another learning curve to master. But circumstance sometimes dictates the options. He is a natural center and I have no doubt he can play there.

I'm one who thinks Nash took a big step in his play last year. Peters seems to think he has had good pre-season games and that indicates to me he gets it. Before the J injury I was wondering if his play had improved enough for him to skate a second line center spot. I wasn't sure then and I'm not sure now but again circumstance might dictate where he skates this year.

I'm going to take a guess that the thought of moving E to wing is now only a memory.

Chip Alexander @ice_chip  ·  35m

Francis: "No question when you lose a player, and a player like Jordan it's a big loss. We'll look at all options on how to fill the void.

We aren't going to get much more news until J gets back to Raleigh and doctors here take a better look/. But it sure is beginning to sound like he is going to be out for at least a couple of months and maybe more.

Check your boxscores.

Oh boy not you again. I suggest you check your box scores. I will say that out of six goals it looks like Khudobin let in one thats on me. Still a really bad GAA for only playing 30min half games though isnt it? So actually at that rate he has let in 5 goals in one game (60 min). Even worse. Thanks for helping me work that out and realize how much worse he is doing than I thought.

Oh boy not you again. I suggest you check your box scores. I will say that out of six goals it looks like Khudobin let in one thats on me. Still a really bad GAA for only playing 30min half games though isnt it? So actually at that rate he has let in 5 goals in one game (60 min). Even worse. Thanks for helping me work that out and realize how much worse he is doing than I thought.

Um, this is a little embarrassing to have to point out, but Ward didn't play last night. Kudo hasn't let one in at all. Other than that, I guess you have it down. I did check the box scores to make sure that I wasn't misremembering.

Edited by super_dave_1

Just for reference in the two pre-season games

A. Khudobin          9 - 9    
C. Ward              10 - 13
D. MacIntyre       10 - 12
A. Nedeljkovic       5 - 6

Kopes, are you looking at 2013 stats????

It's way too early to give up. Did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO! 

We didn't give up when the Japanese built the Volkswagen either.Detroit kept humming along.

We hope.  And worst case start printing McDonald jerseys in July

Do you get fries with that jersey?

If we have the first pick I hope we draft McDavid. ;)

As a funny side note, my auto-correct changed McDavid to "a cadaver" so it read;

"If we have the first pick, I hope we draft a cadaver."

We usually save those picks for the later rounds.

Do you get fries with that jersey?

If we have the first pick I hope we draft McDavid. ;)

As a funny side note, my auto-correct changed McDavid to "a cadaver" so it read;

"If we have the first pick, I hope we draft a cadaver."

We usually save those picks for the later rounds.

a.  Posted before caffeine kicked in. :P

b.  draft a cadaver?  But Keith Richards doesn't play hockey. ;)

With as bad as this Canes team could be and considering the talent level in the draft next year there is no way I'd trade a potential high lottery pick for Versteeg no matter who is paying his contract.

It makes even more sense now with Jordan going down. Fix the right wing and give us more options at center.

Some folks are ready to go right back to the old ways and spend a high draft choice to plug a hole with a short term solution, like Versteeg.  He would only take $2.2 M off Chicago's cap, and they probably would like to move a higher price tag guy.  He will be a UFA after next season, so he'd possibly only be here a short time.  He's also another smallish player at 5'10".  He has been a 20 goal scorer, but only scored 10 in 63 games last year with a stacked Chicago team, and Florida was willing to pay half his salary to move him.

You guys ready to give up a 1st rounder?  Don't forget just how valuable it is to have a kid on an entry level contract contributing at the NHL level.  I kind of like the idea of using the draft to build for the future.

Well I see we are off to our usual start. Key Piece injured, 0-2 and Ward has let in 6 goals in 2 games. Sounds about normal except this year we didnt wait for the regular season we started early. I have faith that Ronnie will steer this ship in the right direction and fix the issues and patch the holes. Preseason is a way to work the kinks out. Hope we can catch some good luck for once.

I stand corrected as I misread the article I was looking at as far as the goalies were concerned. Thats my bad, still think we should buy out Ward and pick up a piece to replace J. Just my opinion. He is past his glory days. Also my opinion.  

Check your boxscores.

Yeah I mentioned this, you are the same fella who polices this thread and gives people a hard time about their paraprah spacing and other various non issues. Sorry If I took what you were saying the wrong way.

A

Some folks are ready to go right back to the old ways and spend a high draft choice to plug a hole with a short term solution, like Versteeg.  He would only take $2.2 M off Chicago's cap, and they probably would like to move a higher price tag guy.  He will be a UFA after next season, so he'd possibly only be here a short time.  He's also another smallish player at 5'10".  He has been a 20 goal scorer, but only scored 10 in 63 games last year with a stacked Chicago team, and Florida was willing to pay half his salary to move him.

You guys ready to give up a 1st rounder?  Don't forget just how valuable it is to have a kid on an entry level contract contributing at the NHL level.  I kind of like the idea of using the draft to build for the future.

The draft is a crap shoot,that's why some call it the lottery. Do you already know that we will have a high draft choice? I don't view a two year plug while giving our youth some time to mature to be a loss.Having a kid on an entry level contract contributing at the NHL level is  true panacea although not always feasible.Many high draft picks have been lost in the AHL graveyard. I guess I'm not looking to give up on this team before the puck even drops and don't want to pray for a loosing record and hope for a high draft pick and then hope it works out..We already have plenty of youth,we need proven experience to help round out our youth.Always look to improve,don't look to improve through loosing.I don't think BP is throwing in the towel yet.

I stand corrected as I misread the article I was looking at as far as the goalies were concerned. Thats my bad, still think we should buy out Ward and pick up a piece to replace J. Just my opinion. He is past his glory days. Also my opinion.  

Yeah I mentioned this, you are the same fella who polices this thread and gives people a hard time about their paraprah spacing and other various non issues. Sorry If I took what you were saying the wrong way.

A

Yeah well, instead of going off on me yet again, maybe you should have just checked the box scores.  It was pretty obvious that you were confused.  Happens to everybody.  If it hadn't been me, then others would have said the same thing.

The draft is a crap shoot,that's why some call it the lottery. Do you already know that we will have a high draft choice? I don't view a two year plug while giving our youth some time to mature to be a loss.Having a kid on an entry level contract contributing at the NHL level is  true panacea although not always feasible.Many high draft picks have been lost in the AHL graveyard. I guess I'm not looking to give up on this team before the puck even drops and don't want to pray for a loosing record and hope for a high draft pick and then hope it works out..We already have plenty of youth,we need proven experience to help round out our youth.Always look to improve,don't look to improve through loosing.I don't think BP is throwing in the towel yet.

It's actually called the lottery because the teams not in the playoffs are given a chance to win the top pick...like a lottery.

Regarding next year's draft...with some really top-end players being available I would rather not trade our first round pick for a veteran when there is really no guarantee that we would end up any better than if we stand pat with our current lineup. And if we are successful this season and are heading to the postseason then we obviously did something right and could maybe use that pick at the trade deadline to get better heading into the playoffs.

I didn't type a word about giving up on the season or praying for a losing record.  I didn't mention that it would be a high draft choice.  The only lottery is for the out of the playoff teams for the top pick.  I'm just tired of seeing draft picks being tossed aroung to plug holes or get rid of a bad contract when those draft choices are how a budget team can stay competitive.  Replacing JStaal seems a bit premature until we know more about his projected time out.  I also get back to the fact that you are talking about a player that scored 10 goals with the Blackhawks last year and another team is paying half his salary just to not have him on their team.  Don't forget that he'd be yet another smallish player. 

This would be a JR type of move.  I'm ready to move beyond that.

Edited by super_dave_1

SD1, Ok I mis-read your first line of your statement. "Some folks are ready to go right back to the old ways and spend a high draft choice to plug a hole with a short term solution". I understand the draft and the lottery,at times it can all look like a lottery as nothing is guaranteed even with a high first round pick..Look at our first round picks over the years. My original post was prior to Staal getting injured, so I wasn't looking to replace Staal. It was to bolster our RW. I don't think it would be a JR type of move since he did nothing to improve our RW situation over the past several years.