The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

It's actually called the lottery because the teams not in the playoffs are given a chance to win the top pick...like a lottery.

Regarding next year's draft...with some really top-end players being available I would rather not trade our first round pick for a veteran when there is really no guarantee that we would end up any better than if we stand pat with our current lineup. And if we are successful this season and are heading to the postseason then we obviously did something right and could maybe use that pick at the trade deadline to get better heading into the playoffs.

Yep, I prefer not to be in the lottery.There are no guarantees with any trade or draft pick. I still think the trade would bolster our strength on the RW and provide us more scoring. Based on the overall feedback on my post, there's a reason I'm not the GM 

To be honest, I'd view giving up a 1st round pick for Versteeg as a failure on RFs part.  We (on this board at least) knew we were shallow going into the season.  We knew we'd experience injuries over the course of the season.  Granted, no one could foresee losing J to a broken leg this early, but odds were pretty good we'd lose some combination of E, Semin, Skinner, or J during the course of the season.  I don't see us having the depth to fill in for any of them for any length of time. 

The time for RF to act was earlier, when there were quality forwards (with numbers similar to Versteeg's) available in free agency that wouldn't have cost us resources and who ultimately signed at a fraction of Versteeg's salary (even counting the buyout).  Lee Stempniak and Derek Roy come to mind.  Or roll the dice on Peter Mueller. I'm aware that there are a lot of factors going into the acquisition of a free agent, but it sure sounded like we didn't really try (we like our group). 

In summary, I'm thinking that either RF was right and we can withstand an injury such as Js, or we were right and Ronnie should have acted when it wouldn't have cost us a piece of our future. 

Edited by LakeLivin

We are in talks with the Bruins about a deal that could bring Kelly here. I hope this rumor is not true.

Is that Eklund? It would be something if he was right. It is hard to get too excited about Kelly either to be honest.

Eklund also said we've chatted w/ Philly. But then Eklund just seems to make stuff up.

Is that Eklund? It would be something if he was right. It is hard to get too excited about Kelly either to be honest.

Eklund also said we've chatted w/ Philly. But then Eklund just seems to make stuff up.

A broken clock is right twice a day.  Ek throws out so many "rumors" that he is bound to hit one occasionally.

Series against the Isles just got tougher.Isles trade for Nick Leddy and Johnny Boychuk.Boychuck obtained for a second round pick in 2015,a second round pick in 2016 and a conditional 3rd round pick.

Edited by slapshot02

What is really hard to understand is why do the Canes look exactly the same on the ice with whoever is the coach behind the bench!(many changes in last few seasons) Yes we have a few players to keep but I am really starting to think about completely rebuilding the team. Yes i do know the season hasn't really started yet but, I do hope I am totally wrong with how I am feeling about the Canes!

perhaps the two years where the Canes made the Stanley Cup finals and the one year of making it to the Eastern Conference Finals were aberations and missing the playoffs is status quo for the Canes, Want very much for the Canes to be as the Wings and just reload every year and not as the kitty-kats who have just one claim to playoff glory.  Do not all know what is wrong with the team.  All I have is useless speculation

perhaps the two years where the Canes made the Stanley Cup finals and the one year of making it to the Eastern Conference Finals were aberations and missing the playoffs is status quo for the Canes, Want very much for the Canes to be as the Wings and just reload every year and not as the kitty-kats who have just one claim to playoff glory.  Do not all know what is wrong with the team.  All I have is useless speculation

Well we made the playoffs 5 out of 11 seasons from1997-2009, including 3 Conference Finals, but nothing since then.  So maybe we are at the point where doing major moves rather than tinkering is what we need.

Well we made the playoffs 5 out of 11 seasons from1997-2009, including 3 Conference Finals, but nothing since then.  So maybe we are at the point where doing major moves rather than tinkering is what we need.

tinkering is what is done when a team has a record of "one-and-done" when it comes to the playoffs.  In a league where almost half the teams make the playoffs,  a record of constanty missing the playoffs is a sign that a major rebuild is needed.