The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

It sounds like we are in "rebuilding" stage again. Except this time it's in the front office, possibly the coaching staff, and possibly the players.

IMO...Eric has had a few slumping years. Can he still play? I think he has some play left in him but maybe not top 3.

Ward still has some play in him as well, just not night after night. He and Doby will need to split more regularly but I think Ward is now more the bench warmer...to bad with that big salary!!

Both of these guys are getting older but are still good players! Not putting either one down but, every player needs to follow the coaches plan or sit a few games.

My biggest suggestion is to STOP signing players for over 3-4 years. These big contracts ALWAYS come back to bite you, and that's for every team. It's time to stop letting the agents run the show and make the players work for their paycheck, not just give them big salaries for multiple years and then watch them take advantage of it by not making the hit, or coasting back to the bench. Hockey is a fast sport and they players need to play that way.

All just MY opinion!   :spin:

Here is an interesting interview with Anton concerning his opionion about Cam

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/carolina-goalie-anton-khodobin-wonders-if-cam-ward-is-past-his-prime-164626687.html

Like the article states if Cam is still with the team come training camp time-will be interesting between the two.

Just wanted to weigh in on this present goalie discussion, for what it's worth. To my way of thinking, comparisons are only valid if factors are similar. For instance, comparing goalies' stamina related to Games Played per year of those 15-20 years ago vs those of the last 5 years fails to consider mechanics used by those 2 groups. In other words, has the mechanics that goalies employ changed thru the years? Certainly, the so called "butterfly style" to me seems to tax physiological mechanisms moreso than the "athletic style"..

Then too, have the many tweeks thru the years, ie-net size, trapezoid etc also put physical stress on these goalies than yesteryear? Is goalie equipment somehow more demanding?

Answers to these and similar questions, and I am not questioning anyone's premise here because I honestly don't know, might also explain Forsland's comment rather than to point out a few goalies who played 60+ games. And really, for the life of me, I don't see how the comment about a goalie "dropping his gloves" is relevant? I guess that by some stretch, if a goalie is willing to drop his gloves, he is more "hardy". Peters did so, and look how that's worked out for him?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Justin Faulk Quote from Chip's Article today on him and Skinner

“I think I’ve been put into a position where I need to step up and be more of a leader, whether it’s more vocal or coming to the rink ready to work hard every day and show it that way,” Faulk said. “Me and ‘Skinny,’ we’re in kind of the same boat. We’ve got to come in ready to go and show from our play and our work ethic that we’re ready to go and want to be leaders and kind of make this into ‘our’ team along with, obviously, the guys we already have who are stepping up and have been playing for a while.”

Man oh man this makes it interesting...

Justin Faulk Quote from Chip's Article today on him and Skinner

“I think I’ve been put into a position where I need to step up and be more of a leader, whether it’s more vocal or coming to the rink ready to work hard every day and show it that way,” Faulk said. “Me and ‘Skinny,’ we’re in kind of the same boat. We’ve got to come in ready to go and show from our play and our work ethic that we’re ready to go and want to be leaders and kind of make this into ‘our’ team along with, obviously, the guys we already have who are stepping up and have been playing for a while.”

Man oh man this makes it interesting...

Without reading too much into Faulk's statement, you could just say that now that Skins and Faulk are entering into their 5th and 4th seasons with the team it's time for them to take a more active role.

They are two of our top players and have been with the team as long as most of the players.  You would expect that they would start to step up in lead.

Without reading too much into Faulk's statement, you could just say that now that Skins and Faulk are entering into their 5th and 4th seasons with the team it's time for them to take a more active role.

They are two of our top players and have been with the team as long as most of the players. You would expect that they would start to step up in lead.

For me the one question to answer is whether we build around Muller or the current "core". Mgmt thinking Skinner and Faulk are ready (along with Lindholm and even Nash) to take over and continue to "change the culture" of the team could be a rationale for player changes versus coaching.

I think you're too much reading into that comment.

And I too think that we're making way too much over this "off the cuff" comment, however I think it's only natural to do so, as our emotions smolder over another missed post-season!    i think everyone wants to be encouraged that we'll see a "different direction" taken next season, so our senses are heightened to find some hint that it's happening.

I just wish that we'd see that from the front office?

I see it as some food for thought and think it is great that the next generation is ready to step up, lead and say so publicly. 

If and it is a monumentally huge "if" the new management wants to hit the big red button and move the Staals, Ward, etc. they at least know guys like Skinner and Faulk are ready to step up...I'd think you'd re-up Manny as C and give the As to Skinner and Faulk and let them be mentored by Manny for a year or two. 

My real thoughts on the summer are that we will talk a LOT about making some moves here but very little will actually happen other than making a concerted effort to move Cam and tender the RFAs. 

I see it as some food for thought and think it is great that the next generation is ready to step up, lead and say so publicly. 

If and it is a monumentally huge "if" the new management wants to hit the big red button and move the Staals, Ward, etc. they at least know guys like Skinner and Faulk are ready to step up...I'd think you'd re-up Manny as C and give the As to Skinner and Faulk and let them be mentored by Manny for a year or two. 

My real thoughts on the summer are that we will talk a LOT about making some moves here but very little will actually happen other than making a concerted effort to move Cam and tender the RFAs. 

Law-Dawg, much as I would like to see a substantial "makeover", I'll just say that I'll believe it when I see it. Too often have I been let down by this organization's non-moves so I'll not(or should I say try not)  get my hopes up.

I have withheld myselft from posting for a few weeks after the season to cool down a bit.  I am still quite dissapointed on how the team went this year after having such high hopes.  I do not believe trading the staal brothers will do us any good as we would get a crappy return for underperorming and high paid players.  Eric is the face of the franchise and we have to live or die by him until his contract is up and moving Jordan would crush Eric.  We just need to hope that they can figure it out in time for next season.  As for the other core players, I still think we have some great pieces in Skinner, Lindholm, semin, Faulk, Sekera and Doby in net.  Everyone else should be a possiblilty to move on, though I would personally like to see Manny, Hainsey, and Gerbs back.

Now for the Cam situation. I have the utmost respect for Cam as he has given all of us a cup.  However, I would take a bag of pucks for todays Cam.  I home some team will take the bait.  This will HAVE to be done by a trade.  I dont want to see the canes buy cam out as we are a team on a budget and wont need his extra cap space anyway.   I would rather pay for a 6.3 million backup goalie than pay for a 6.3 million goalie on a different team.

I don't know how this will shake out but I'm still of the opinion that all options (players) are in play. Lets face it, we didn't have a top 6. We had a top 3 + 1. Our 4th line was inadequate. Our defense was better but still needs at least one addition. Our goal tending is promising but one season does not make a career.

If we could pull off an old fashioned blockbuster trade it might do us a world of good. Not easy in today's world of mega-salaries, no trade clauses and salary caps. But it might be just what is needed to get this team and its fans out of our funk.

The way I see it, we'll shop Ward. If no takers, we keep him and play him hoping an opportunity arises where he could be moved mid-season. Either way, with his injuries, his recent stats, his NTC, and his cap hit. Who wants him?

The way I see it, we'll shop Ward. If no takers, we keep him and play him hoping an opportunity arises where he could be moved mid-season. Either way, with his injuries, his recent stats, his NTC, and his cap hit. Who wants him?

This is the mist likely scenario...we can't afford to buy him out, and there will be teams with goalie issues next season that will need a quick fix.  I think he doesn't get traded til next season.

If we could pull off an old fashioned blockbuster trade it might do us a world of good. Not easy in today's world of mega-salaries, no trade clauses and salary caps. But it might be just what is needed to get this team and its fans out of our funk.

Who would you trade?  :letssee:

Who would you trade?  :letssee:

Well blockbuster would imply the Staals.Skinner,Semin , Khudobin, Faulk. Not all of course but the one (s) who bring you equal or better return. Odds are it won't happen but just saying if you want to get every ones attention

I bet the big-market teams would line up to sign J. Staal.

When the cap is high again 2-3 yrs from now J is gonna be a bargain and he will be 27/28. No way we trade him.

Maybe the Blues are looking for a goalie after today

I bet the big-market teams would line up to sign J. Staal. 

WRONG!   Not for $6-mil plus per year....  for 9 years!

At $6-mil/season, Jordan is a HUGE  underperformer ... look at who makes $6-ish million around the league and you'll see Jordan's contract was a HUGE mistake (thanks to JR).

WRONG!   Not for $6-mil plus per year....  for 9 years!

At $6-mil/season, Jordan is a HUGE  underperformer ... look at who makes $6-ish million around the league and you'll see Jordan's contract was a HUGE mistake (thanks to JR).

Jordan's contract and performance is not a problem on this team.  He is a plus player, on a minus team, while matching up against the opposition's top scoring lines.  All that, while playing the majority of his minutes with line mates that are over slotted. 

Greg,

You're flat out wrong on this one.  Management tried to hype up Jordan when he first came here "claiming" that he was some sort of offensive power house.  You bought into that as did many others without knowing the facts.  The fact is Jordan is an elite defensive center.  He is not a goal scorer and he is also one of the few guys on our team that knows how to actually establish a forecheck,...