The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2014 Off-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Definitely have to echo the sentiments about Jordan. He's part of the solution, not the problem. While his contract is not the best, he has great value to this team. If we are not going to rebuild, their top priority is to sign players that can play on his line.

Definitely have to echo the sentiments about Jordan. He's part of the solution, not the problem. While his contract is not the best, he has great value to this team. If we are not going to rebuild, their top priority is to sign players that can play on his line.

I actually like him with Semin and Tlusty...assuming they are able to sigh Tlusty.  They form a solid line at both ends of the ice.

Jordan's contract and performance is not a problem on this team.  He is a plus player, on a minus team, while matching up against the opposition's top scoring lines.  All that, while playing the majority of his minutes with line mates that are over slotted. 

Agreed.

I actually like him with Semin and Tlusty...assuming they are able to sigh Tlusty.  They form a solid line at both ends of the ice.

Again I agree.

I also would like to see Jordan between Lindholm and Skinner. Lindholm and Jordan have good chemistry, Skinner and Jordan...well...it's a mixed bag.

If we do not make any major changes this off season, I would start with Eric between Lindy and Skinner.  On paper, they look like the should be a good fit.  That leaves very little for a third line, but that's what the off season is for!

I actually like him with Semin and Tlusty...assuming they are able to sigh Tlusty. They form a solid line at both ends of the ice.

I do too, as the three of them are also our three best defensive players. However, Semin gets paid top line money, and to maximize his attributes, he should be on the top line.

I do too, as the three of them are also our three best defensive players. However, Semin gets paid top line money, and to maximize his attributes, he should be on the top line.

I actually think he would produce better on a line with Jordan and Tlusty. 

Jordan's contract and performance is not a problem on this team.  He is a plus player, on a minus team while matching up against the opposition's top scoring lines.  

Thing is, you DO NOT need to spend $6/year and commit $60-mill to get that type player in today's NHL.

Look what $6-ish mil buys you... actually, MUCH MUCH more, on average.

BTW, Jordan is a -16 (+/-) since joining the Canes so characterizing him as a Canes "plus player" is at best a reach.

Well, at least we can be glad that Bradon Sutter is doing absolutely nothing in these playoffs (at less than 1/2 the price of J.Staal).  :sarcasm:

Time for JR to go.  We need new ideas.  I'll take RF on his word that he is "his own man" and will do what is necessary to get this team back into the playoff conversation.

Thing is, you DO NOT need to spend $6/year and commit $60-mill to get that type player in today's NHL.

BTW, Jordan is a -16 (+/-) since joining the Canes so characterizing him as a Canes "plus player" is at best a reach.

Are we really going to play this game now? That's weak and petty.

Of course you don't NEED to spend $6m/yr on "that type of player".

Just like a 24 year old, big defensive-forward, who was exposed to a WINNING CULTURE his entire professional career, is a Stanley Cup Champ with two Finals appearances, two Conference Championships, four Division Titles, a two time Selke nominee, a +53 (before the Canes), with 52% FO average, a good penalty killer and 50 point average scorer -- didn't NEED to sign with a perennial non-playoff team.

And I really would like to hear what $6m/yr. would buy us. If you can restrict your shopping list to only those players that other teams WANT to get rid of, would waive their NTC/NMC in order to come to a non-playoff team, won't engage us in a UFA bidding war or won't cost us our future, it would be much appreciated.

Well said Whaler. Jordan will come around and have a few big years for us. He and Eric need to work harder than any other 2 NHL players this summer and come back fired up and stronger than ever. They should spend some time in the desert doing some soul searching too about who they want to be and how lucky they are to have 14million a year coming in from Carolina organization. If the brothers aren't thinking the same way right now than we are in trouble. I believe they want it bad and now they realize its not gonna come easy like it has in the past, they are gonna have to work hard for it and lead the team.

Look what $6-ish mil buys you... actually, MUCH MUCH more, on average

Jonathan Toews make 6.8 million a year, and has double the goals, assists, and Cups as Jordan.  That being said, we gave Jordan the same contract as Pittburgh offered, so I guess it wasn't too out of line.

Jonathan Toews make 6.8 million a year, and has double the goals, assists, and Cups as Jordan.  That being said, we gave Jordan the same contract as Pittburgh offered, so I guess it wasn't too out of line.

Toews is a great example of what $6-ish mil can get you!   

Now on this part, "the same contract as Pittburgh offered"

that is a loaded statement... I dont have time to get fully into it now,

but lets just say... why did Pit and Shero leak out what they would

be offering Jordan (that usually NEVER happens in that organization).

Its called manipulation (a bluff) and making the other team overpay.  

Sorry I don't have more time to fully flush this out now,

but you see where I am going.

Again upshot here is what 6-ish mil can get you in the NHL and how

Jordan measures up to that peer group.

Needless to say anyone with an objective open mind would take Toews over Jordan Staal, eh?

They leaked it out to justify moving him to their fanbase. Jordan's never said "No, they didn't offer that" so why wouldn't you believe them.

Edited by legend-1

Somewhat off this diatribe we're constantly being drawn in to with regards to a "players worth", which in all honesty is so subjective based on one's own bias about that player, but on a more positive note, I'm overjoyed to read that Manny is a finalist for the Masterton award. I've become a huge fan of his, even splurging and bidding on (eventually outbid all) the Military Jersey at that Military Appreciation Night. With it came the opportunity to go courtside after game to meet with and get autograph. Guys, this is a great and humble guy.  Go Manny

I couldn't agree more KJUNKANE. Manny has earned the right to be a finalist for the Masterton. He appears to be a character guy and fought his way through the adversity that would have sidelined others. GO Manny.

It will be a crime if Manny doesn't win the Masterton imo.  He didn't just come back while being blind in one eye, he came back via a professional try out contract with the AHL Checkers.   If that doesn't exemplify the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey, I don't know what does.

Toews is a great example of what $6-ish mil can get you!   

Now on this part, "the same contract as Pittburgh offered"

that is a loaded statement... I dont have time to get fully into it now,

but lets just say... why did Pit and Shero leak out what they would

be offering Jordan (that usually NEVER happens in that organization).

Its called manipulation (a bluff) and making the other team overpay.  

Sorry I don't have more time to fully flush this out now,

but you see where I am going.

Again upshot here is what 6-ish mil can get you in the NHL and how

Jordan measures up to that peer group.

Needless to say anyone with an objective open mind would take Toews over Jordan Staal, eh?

So $6 mil can get you a Jonathan Toews, huh?  How exactly does that work? Would we just take our $6 mil to the Jonathan Toews store and pick one up off the shelf?  Or maybe we could get one through Amazon (I wonder if he would qualify for free shipping?)

:rofl:

Edited by LakeLivin

You guys want to know why Jordan's numbers are low?  Dwyer and Gerbe.  1 guy is a 4th liner the other is a low-tier 3rd liner.

end of discussion.

And yet they go out there and work harder than the guys making 10x their salary...

end of discussion

Well Gerbe's numbers are actually very good third line numbers. But Jordan needs to produce at a second line rate to really justify the contract. Defensively he has been solid. He makes us bigger, but we need more points from that contract. So he needs second line wingers and Gerbe and especially Dwyer are not that. Jordan has already proven he can put up numbers that would justify his pay. Just not for us. I still think he can do it, more offensive wingers would help.