The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac59

Hurricane Family Room

My living room is the Canes room. I didn't paint it red, black or white b/c the living room, dining room, and kitchen are all open and I didn't think it would look right. I am lucky because I have 2 huge walls. On the one wall across from my couch I have a signed stick and under that I have a Brindy Victory picture (very nice, made out of wood) that I won at one of the STH things. Then next to that I have a framed picture for when we won the SC that I got at the Eye. On a smaller wall next to the window and patio door I have a picture of the team surrounding the Prince of Wales. On the opposite wall of the patio door I'm planning on putting 8x10 pictures I have of Cole, Williams, and LaRose. I'm just waiting to get Williams to sign his picture. Then on one shelve of my bookshelf I have about 7 pucks, a small stanley cup, and some cards (like baseball cards).

I'll have to post some pictures.

I have not seen any Canes Calenders, where did you get yours? I love your pics-good job. I love the idea of the pucks on the hockey stick. It gave me an idea to find a cheaper hockey stick to put up in my son's room and screw hooks all the way down the stick and put all of his hockey caps on it-thanks for sharing.

I made my bedroom into a Canes room and it looks great! I have a jersey signed by the whole gang a lot of photos and pennants and posters!

The paint is Dark red on the top with a 5" black stripe 2/3 of the way down and silver below that. Eventually the black stripe will look like the bottom of the jersey with the hurricane flag theme!

My living room is the Canes room. I didn't paint it red, black or white b/c the living room, dining room, and kitchen are all open and I didn't think it would look right. I am lucky because I have 2 huge walls. On the one wall across from my couch I have a signed stick and under that I have a Brindy Victory picture (very nice, made out of wood) that I won at one of the STH things. Then next to that I have a framed picture for when we won the SC that I got at the Eye. On a smaller wall next to the window and patio door I have a picture of the team surrounding the Prince of Wales. On the opposite wall of the patio door I'm planning on putting 8x10 pictures I have of Cole, Williams, and LaRose. I'm just waiting to get Williams to sign his picture. Then on one shelve of my bookshelf I have about 7 pucks, a small stanley cup, and some cards (like baseball cards).

I'll have to post some pictures.

I can't wait for your pics. Clint made a Stanley Cup replica out of his old Mark Martin (Nascar) trash can with some different size bowls on top from my kitchen (he said he found them in the back of the cabinet so I didn't really need them) and wrapped all of them in aluminum foil. It's really impressive and looks good for homemade.

I made my bedroom into a Canes room and it looks great! I have a jersey signed by the whole gang a lot of photos and pennants and posters!

The paint is Dark red on the top with a 5" black stripe 2/3 of the way down and silver below that. Eventually the black stripe will look like the bottom of the jersey with the hurricane flag theme!

Did you paint that yourself, because they takes disipline and talent? I have the disipline but not the talent.

<_< My son (he is 15) and I want to change my family room into a Hurricane room. You would have to walk through my formal dining room down into my large family room and I am not sure with the dining room decor it would be appropriate to have a Cane room with pictures and posters. I know it sounds lame but I was wondering if anybody else out there had their cane space in a family room or do you just leave it to a bedroom? I really am torn as to what to do, I do a great deal of family and friends entertaining and not sure if they would think I had lost my mind. I know it's my home I just don't want to look foolish. Please give me some advise.

To step away from the topic for a moment, Erwin: Consider yourself profoundly lucky to have a house large enough to have a formal dining room.

Three weeks ago, Mr. GSBG and I moved from Long Beach to Placentia, a community about 10 miles northeast of Disneyland and Honda Center. We love our new place -- the peace, quiet, and convenience are a dream come true -- but at 860 square feet, it's 140 square feet smaller than our previous pied-a-terre. (To compensate, however, the layout of our new place is much better thought out, and hence easier to live with on a daily basis.) Too, none of our previous apartments have had a place large enough for a dining room, much less a formal[/b] one.

But enough with that! I say you should go with your plans, and do it to the nines -- y'know, working with a local interior decorator about getting exact team colors, getting everything framed just right if it isn't already -- THE WORKS. SPARE NO COST.. Make it something you'll be delighted with 50 years from now. :D

That's my two cents, 10 miles north of Ducksville ... B)

Jan/GSBG

Hey Jan. I have been there and done that with the small space, I raised my daughter in 900 sq foot apartment & moved on up to a 1000 sq foot house for 16 years before adding another 1100 sq feet to my home 3 yrs ago (she loves to remind me that she had to live in 1000 sq feet with no dining room & 1 bathroom and her brother gets to live in 2100 sq feet with his own bathroom after she got married and moved out)-lol Thanks for the advise on the cane room.

Did you paint that yourself, because they takes disipline and talent? I have the disipline but not the talent.

Not the read and silver but with the quality the guy did it I could have! I painted the black strip with my mom. The guy didn't use painters tape so around the trim and ceiling its real wavy. But I fixed it with m mom and did the black strip with her.

Here is pic of one wall: 1234385148_99a7d2c23c_b.jpg

I have not seen any Canes Calenders, where did you get yours? I love your pics-good job. I love the idea of the pucks on the hockey stick. It gave me an idea to find a cheaper hockey stick to put up in my son's room and screw hooks all the way down the stick and put all of his hockey caps on it-thanks for sharing.

They had the calender at The Eye last year. You can get a used stick at Play it Again Sports for about $15. I can't wait to see what you do! :lol:

Hey Jan. I have been there and done that with the small space, I raised my daughter in 900 sq foot apartment & moved on up to a 1000 sq foot house for 16 years before adding another 1100 sq feet to my home 3 yrs ago (she loves to remind me that she had to live in 1000 sq feet with no dining room & 1 bathroom and her brother gets to live in 2100 sq feet with his own bathroom after she got married and moved out)-lol Thanks for the advise on the cane room.

Thanks for the reply, Erwin. B)

To do my best to make a long story short, the brand-new CEO of Farmers Insurance Group, Mr. GSBG's former employer, had plenty of say in our move. On Jan. 30, 2006, he gave everyone in Corporate Communications, Mr. G's entire department, a pink slip. :( (Not even a 62-year-old manager with 32 years' time at Farmers was spared. Does that cost-cutting move totally su*k, or what?) Anyway, our going 18 months without any salary -- other than totally draining our savings account -- pretty much forced our hand to move to less-pricey digs. And, yes, my salary of about $1,600 from the store a month ago was the first income we'd enjoyed in a year in a half.

(FYI, our new digs are also radically closer to our store ... only 1.9 miles away, as opposed to the 32.04 miles for our one-way drive from Yorba Linda to downtown Long Beach. One day, we're hoping to buy a condo near our store, but that'll be in about a decade or so, when we're both in our mid-50s and have something stashed away for a down payment. A typical two-bedroom, two-bathroom condo here goes for about $550,000, so that's obviously something we'll need to save for ASAP.)

Glad you were able to add more living space to your digs. More power to you ... and let us know how your Canes room looks in its development.

Ryan: Your room looks wonderful. Given how good it looks, you oughta stay there for the next 40 years or so! :P

Jan/GSBG

So, Mrs. Erwin, I have not been informed of this potential "Cane Room" in your living room! :unsure: I say go for it, though, haha, alot of your house is already decked out in Canes attire! The way I see it, all the stuff we keep getting (i.e posters, pictures, etc.) you're going to run out of room to store it, I say make that living room into a Cane room, I'll even help you! :lol: