The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

Kjunkan, it's not about spying. It's about loyalty. RB's loyalty is with the team and it won't be with newest set of coaches coming in. Roddie was on Mo's "staff" but he got to stay then he was on Mullers staff and he gets to stay while they get bounced. I see a new coach marginalizing him because he wasn't hand picked by the new coach. At the end of the day he's been coaching about what 5 seasons? How have the Canes done? Maybe he has been a part of the coaching problem year over year.

Try 3 seasons...he was named as an assistant the summer of 2011.  And considering his job was to work on faceoffs and skating, which haven't been issues for us, I don't think he was vulnerable on the firing line.

Agree with that.

I never saw the presser so I'm not sure why a lot of folks think RF already has a coach in mind or think it has to be someone he's played with before etc. This is what I saw on Nhl.com and it sounds like the doors wide open and when Kirk and friends were let go there wasn't a plan in action for replacements. He knew what had to be done and didn't drag it out waiting to find someone first.

Francis said he will seek a coach who can meet specific criteria.

"The biggest thing I'm looking for is a guy who is a teacher," said Francis, who spent nine seasons in the Carolina front office before replacing retiring Jim Rutherford on April 28. "In today's game, you have to be able to communicate extremely well. You have to have strong leadership qualities and be able to manage the different personalities you're dealing with in the locker room."

Francis said he has received emails and phone calls about the job opening. He said he will consider coaches with NHL coaching experience as well as current assistant coaches.

"I'll start with a big list and narrow it down to those worth bringing in," he said. "Whether that number is two or seven, we will take the time to do it right."

Also it mentions NHL coaching experience and current assistants. I guess by not mentioning specifically NO nhl experienced people will be excluded then you could speculate that maybe they are included but I'd think not. That would shorten the list although our boards 3 top picks would fit this criteria.

Obviously I mean Dineen, Torts and Trotz.

"looking for is a guy who is a teacher" and "be able to manage the different personalities" probably eliminate Torts...

I highly doubt Barry Trotz will even be considered.  Torts is a nightmare, and frankly, I'd be surprised if he got a shot at another head-coaching position any time soon, if ever.

Dineen and Ulf Samuelsson appear to be the front runners (based on RF's criteria) and I'd be shocked if Dineen wasn't the next head coach here.

Try 3 seasons...he was named as an assistant the summer of 2011.  And considering his job was to work on faceoffs and skating, which haven't been issues for us, I don't think he was vulnerable on the firing line.

AWAC its odd you ignore the loyalty/fraternity factor within the coaching ranks of which Roddie is not a part of having escaped two coaching staff removals at this point.  Coaches are essentially middle management.  Roddie is somewhere in between middle management and an ownership favorite; leaning ownership favorite - he'll be here forever so don't worry you can safely leave your oil painting of Roddie on your mantel and your RB bobblehead in your vehicles back window.  I have read several times he lives next door to RF.  Don't know if thats true but if in fact he lives in the same development as RF and the fact that they're clearly pals, an incoming coach will not look at Roddie the same way he will be looking at the two or three hand picked coaches he brings with him.  Roddie has made a difference on face offs but when it comes to saying he has improved team skating thats a reach.  Pro's have their own trainers in the summer that work with them on all facets of the game including power skating.  Having a coach skate your *edit* into the ice during the season is hardly a specialized trait that only Roddie has.  Maybe coastal caniac can weigh in here since he see's practices. 

Agree coastal, however, think of the possibilities if Samuelsson, if what I'm gleaning about him is correct, that he was a gritty enforcer of sorts, how that could impact a team short on those characteristics? Does anyone know anything about his ability to "teach and communicate"?

As far as Dineen is concerned, I do seem to recall that his writeup when he took over the position with Florida sung high praises about him, and these sought after elements that RF mentions were his strong suit?

Maybe coastal caniac can weigh in here since he see's practices. 

I really don't want to get into this debate but I'll just say at no time have I ever heard Rod was brought in to improve team skating.  Kim Muir has been brought in as a power skating consultant on numerous occasions during training camp, and also has worked with the Checkers. 

Why would you need a skating coach during the season anyway?  Makes no sense.  That's what the offseason and training camp are for.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think the longer RF waits to hire his coach is to say he has someone in mind who is still in the hunt for the Cup.  Ulf?

Not necessarily, Dineen is currently coaching the Canada's women's team at the WC.  ;)

Dineen is just a hunch of mine, and I have nothing to back it up except what I heard in the presser from RF himself.

I think Muller's fate was sealed when the final whistle blew, but the team wanted to give the appearance of having done their "due diligence" (their words, not mine) in making a decision.

Could be the same thing going on here, but I would be very surprised if the list of candidates isn't very short, and don't forget everything is supposedly being evaluated, including the Charlotte Checkers bench.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think the longer RF waits to hire his coach is to say he has someone in mind who is still in the hunt for the Cup.  Ulf?

I have noticed a trend during the last five long offseasons.  It seems like the Canes make one announcement or one news story per week, just to keep everybody interested.  Following that trend, I predict that the new coach will be hired next week...unless somebody still competing is on the short list.

caniac1234, BTW, it's kjunkane, but why is it that when people on here are passionate about their thoughts, we(and I include myself) tend to make our points by belittling others' views? "Leave your oil painting of Roddie on your mantel and your RB bobblehead in your vehicles back window" in my eyes doesn't do anything to support your position in this discussion but incite someone's anger.

The point I think you disregard in your argument is INTEGRITY in this player. Sure, RB does have both attachment to and loyalty for this franchise. What I fail to see is how his residence next to or friendship with Ron Francis could in any way undermine the next coach's command of this team. It would appear to me that if Rod has loyalty to this organization, his motivation would be for the Canes to achieve the goal everyone desires. Thus, I see him as being a good soldier.

Now, while all this may or may not be true, the entire thing is moot, as Francis will make his choice, and I'm sure that whoever he chooses will be aware of Rod's status and incorporate that into his plans. Besides, none of us really know what Rod wants, do we? This new coach could welcome RB with open arms for all we know. JMHO

I really don't want to get into this debate but I'll just say at no time have I ever heard Rod was brought in to improve team skating.  Kim Muir has been brought in as a power skating consultant on numerous occasions during training camp, and also has worked with the Checkers. 

Why would you need a skating coach during the season anyway?  Makes no sense.  That's what the offseason and training camp are for.

Coastal, this is true, and although I'm possibly putting words in someone's mouth, I think the reference to "improve skating" or whatever, probably related to conditioning which we've seen associated with his activities associated with players coming back from injury or other layoff where they may have lost some physical prowess?

I have noticed a trend during the last five long offseasons.  It seems like the Canes make one announcement or one news story per week, just to keep everybody interested.  Following that trend, I predict that the new coach will be hired next week...unless somebody still competing is on the short list.

I noticed that too, I expect an announcement this monday morning.  if not than def the week after.  They don't want to leave us hanging to long and I would think Ronnie already had his guy picked out, just finalizing details.   I'm hoping for Trotz, he seems like the only extremely NHL experienced guy that nobody has anything bad to say about, only good stuff.  We need him. We'll have to see if he likes the small market and nice weather or if he wants to go north to the bigger markets.  He's either sick of the small southern market and wants to go to the big show or he loves it and wants to come to carolina.

I noticed that too, I expect an announcement this monday morning.  if not than def the week after.  They don't want to leave us hanging to long and I would think Ronnie already had his guy picked out, just finalizing details.   I'm hoping for Trotz, he seems like the only extremely NHL experienced guy that nobody has anything bad to say about, only good stuff.  We need him. We'll have to see if he likes the small market and nice weather or if he wants to go north to the bigger markets.  He's either sick of the small southern market and wants to go to the big show or he loves it and wants to come to carolina.

I saw this the other day when I was reading up on Trotz.  It suggests Raleigh might be a better fit for him than a Canadien market.

..... "Trotz is a "way of life"-type person. He appreciates comfort, loves his family and seemingly would prefer a place that isn't a pressure cooker such as a Canadian market"...........

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2014/04/15/next-former-nashville-predators-coach-barry-trotz/7747647/

Edited by coastal_caniac

Not necessarily, Dineen is currently coaching the Canada's women's team at the WC.  ;)

Dineen is just a hunch of mine, and I have nothing to back it up except what I heard in the presser from RF himself.

I think Muller's fate was sealed when the final whistle blew, but the team wanted to give the appearance of having done their "due diligence" (their words, not mine) in making a decision.

Could be the same thing going on here, but I would be very surprised if the list of candidates isn't very short, and don't forget everything is supposedly being evaluated, including the Charlotte Checkers bench.

And coastal, I am of this opinion too, further thinking with regards to Muller, that RF was perpetuating the theme that seemed to be JR's mantra, that of being honorable in all things. Rather than rushing in and axing everyone, best to FAIRLY consider all factors in this final decision.

And in the back of my mind, as we just have witnessed with the Nashville coaching position, I still think that the trip Ron made to Finland likely was dual purposed. Get a look at some draft eligible candidates sure, but Dineen was certainly and coincidentally in the same area. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

We need a coach who believes in playing physical and i would like to see Ron Francis pick up some physical players.  Almost every team that made the playoffs play physical hockey.  Our small forwards i felt where pushed around to much this season.

Agree with that.

I never saw the presser so I'm not sure why a lot of folks think RF already has a coach in mind or think it has to be someone he's played with before etc. This is what I saw on Nhl.com and it sounds like the doors wide open and when Kirk and friends were let go there wasn't a plan in action for replacements. He knew what had to be done and didn't drag it out waiting to find someone first.

Francis said he will seek a coach who can meet specific criteria.

"The biggest thing I'm looking for is a guy who is a teacher," said Francis, who spent nine seasons in the Carolina front office before replacing retiring Jim Rutherford on April 28. "In today's game, you have to be able to communicate extremely well. You have to have strong leadership qualities and be able to manage the different personalities you're dealing with in the locker room."

Francis said he has received emails and phone calls about the job opening. He said he will consider coaches with NHL coaching experience as well as current assistant coaches.

"I'll start with a big list and narrow it down to those worth bringing in," he said. "Whether that number is two or seven, we will take the time to do it right."

Also it mentions NHL coaching experience and current assistants. I guess by not mentioning specifically NO nhl experienced people will be excluded then you could speculate that maybe they are included but I'd think not. That would shorten the list although our boards 3 top picks would fit this criteria.

Obviously I mean Dineen, Torts and Trotz.

I listened to the entire presser and at one point Ron said that a lot of his former teammates are successful coaches in the NHL and he's interested in talking to them. AFAIC, that puts Dineen at the top of the list and cuts Torts and Trotz from it.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Coastal, just wondering why you think this?

It has nothing to do with Barry Trotz abilities as a coach, but it just feels to me like Francis will go with someone he knows and is comfortable with.

Edited by coastal_caniac

We need a coach who believes in playing physical and i would like to see Ron Francis pick up some physical players.  Almost every team that made the playoffs play physical hockey.  Our small forwards i felt where pushed around to much this season.

Agree 10000 percent - although losing our finesse players is a mistake, IMO. We need our finesse players to take no sh*t. One needs look no further than Brad Marchand - all 5-9 of him - to see the kind of player Skinner, Lindholm, and Bowman should be emulating. 

Agree 10000 percent - although losing our finesse players is a mistake, IMO. We need our finesse players to take no sh*t. One needs look no further than Brad Marchand - all 5-9 of him - to see the kind of player Skinner, Lindholm, and Bowman should be emulating. 

Exactly. I would like the canes pick up a player or 2 like Chris Neil, Shawn Thornton, or a Tanner Glass who can play on the penalty kill and a energy player to play on the 4th line. Example Glass, Craig Adams, Brandon Brust.

It has nothing to do with Barry Trotz abilities as a coach, but it just feels to me like Francis will go with someone he knows and is comfortable with.

Got it.

I don't disagree he might do that. Also, I agree with those that don't want to see us playing a slow, deliberate style. But it sure would be nice to get a guy with substantial successful NHL head coaching experience.