The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

I saw this the other day when I was reading up on Trotz.  It suggests Raleigh might be a better fit for him than a Canadien market.

..... "Trotz is a "way of life"-type person. He appreciates comfort, loves his family and seemingly would prefer a place that isn't a pressure cooker such as a Canadian market"...........

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nhl/predators/2014/04/15/next-former-nashville-predators-coach-barry-trotz/7747647/

Man, what a respected coach, after reading this article I am sold 100% that this would be the man to turn us around and get the Staals playing right.  Cmon Ronnie, if anyone can convince someone to be a hurricane and live in this area its you. 

Exactly. I would like the canes pick up a player or 2 like Chris Neil, Shawn Thornton, or a Tanner Glass who can play on the penalty kill and a energy player to play on the 4th line. Example Glass, Craig Adams, Brandon Brust.

At one point in the presser Ron was asked what kind of player he prefers and he said he prefers bigger, tougher guys. Like you, I think another one or two will be a big plus. Faulk already brings it, Bellemore too, although I'm not sold on the latter's defensive consistency. Most on these be boards have been saying for years that we need to bulk up, and I certainly agree. Getting a playoff spot and competing in the playoffs are two different things, and the teams able to do both have physicality unseen in Raleigh since Mike Commodore :)

Ok, so we want a coach who:

• Has proven he can win at the NHL level
  • Is a good teacher
  • Relates to and can motivate NHL players
  • Shares management (RFs) philosophy regarding the direction of the team (skill, desire, speed, and size)
  • Is a good tactician (presumably, although I haven't heard it specifically mentioned)

I'll throw out a couple of thoughts.

Obviously we're going to have to compromise with respect to some of the above factors.  

Anyone available who has proven he can win at the NHL level by definition has in some sense most recently failed at the NHL level.

Many here feel we should avoid a coach without NHL experience based on our experience with Muller.  But what about Patrick Roy with Colorado?  He had no NHL coaching experience prior to this year and he's a finalist for Coach of the Year.  In general, if it comes down to 2 relatively overall equal current "talent level" entities (be it coaches, athletes, or whatever), one that gets there more because of experience, and the other that gets there more because of innate talent, I prefer the one with more talent.  Because a person can much more easily gain more experience than more talent. 

Edited by LakeLivin

NHL proven would be nice, but I think people are confusing Muller's failure with other successful coaches that had no NHL track record.  I mean, look at Blysma?  It can't all be players, with the injuries he's had to deal with on top of some spotty goal tending by MAF at times.  He knows the game.

Muller had no prior sustained head coaching success at all.  He had one year in the AHL.

I'd just like someone that is proven as a head coach in any winning capacity for more than a couple of seasons, and if they've been an AHL coach, one that has shown success in those players making the leap to the NHL and playing in the system of the main club.  So no Daniels.  He can't hack it.

If that is the case then we would have to break the bank in order to afford him.  He has like the most successful program during the off season.  Why on earth would he give that up?

What's your source for this rumor bluedevil58? 

I'm not saying your rumor doesn't have legs, but most people at least give the source.

Edited by coastal_caniac

What's your source for this rumor bluedevil58? 

I'm not saying your rumor doesn't have legs, but most people at least give the source.

I was in the Eye today and D told me.  I figure that D is a reliable source.  You know?

I listened to the entire presser and at one point Ron said that a lot of his former teammates are successful coaches in the NHL and he's interested in talking to them. AFAIC, that puts Dineen at the top of the list and cuts Torts and Trotz from it.

I missed that part but if Ronnie said he is interested in talking to "them" that could also throw Dave Tippett and Quenneville into the mix but I can't see their clubs releasing or not extending them.

If you extend the successful "former teammate" list to add NHL assistant coaches, Doug Jarvis (Bruins) stands out with 5 Cups, Selke, Masterton, NHL Iron Man record and former AHL head coach of the Bulldogs. There are also Doug Houda (Boston), Brad Shaw (Blues), Gelinas (Flames), Ulfie (Rangers), Anderson (Yotes) and John Stevens (Kings)....

Hmmm. Says Washington and Florida have also contacted him...better move fast!

Washington is too big of a market/too much media scrutiny, and Ovechkin won't play in a structured system. Florida is too hot. :)

Carolina is the perfect fit. Make it happen Ronnie.

I think Florida snags Trotz before we do...

Doug Jarvis from the B's is a really interesting rumor/candidate...he definitely has the chops, but is it due to the mass of talent they have up there as well?

Trotz is a proven guy who can take teams to the playoffs, but I'm skeptical if he can get any further then that with the amount of playoff appearances he has and 1st round exits he has.

I guess we can deal with one problem at a time, I think we all would be happier with a first round exit next year over not making it.

Edited by legend-1

If the Pens win tonight, Ronnie is on the phone to Ulfie tomorrow.  I don't think we will wait to talk to anyone with Boston, LA or any teams still playing.  Hope we make a hire next week. 

Trotz is a proven guy who can take teams to the playoffs, but I'm skeptical if he can get any further then that with the amount of playoff appearances he has and 1st round exits he has.

I guess we can deal with one problem at a time, I think we all would be happier with a first round exit next year over not making it.

Trotz's system is always seen as boring, defensive, etc. but go and play with the stats on NHL.com...Nashville was12th overall on the PP this year, potting 46 goals on 239 chances for 19.2%.  We had 41 on 281 chances at 14.6%.  Last year in the shortened season, they were horrid on the road but converted over 23% at home.  2011-2012, Nashville had the #1PP in the NHL. 

Now consider the talent on those teams...this year, Craig Smith was their leading goal scorer with 24 and Shea Weber 2d with 23.  He had no one on pace for 30 goals last year and the year before Hornquist led the team with 27.  Trotz has done a whole lot with very little in Nashville and I think he could lead this team a far ways down the playoff road. 

Exactly.  I have heard more times than once:  "Trotz can get us to the playoffs but then what?  What has he done?"  Has anyone seen the level of talent that he has had on his teams?  It is far less than what the Canes have.  

Yeah, I don't know what involvement Trotz has had in forming the teams he's coached, but traditionally they've been "heavy" teams with pretty good defenses, but not a lot of front line forward talent. 

Yes, defense wins championships, blah blah blah, but almost no one advances in the playoffs without serious talent up front, and essentially no one wins the cup without serious forward talent.

Who's to say Trotz couldn't take a more talented group farther?

As to first round playoff exits vs missing the playoffs, I was just thinking about that yesterday. In our particular situation it would be a greater moral victory to make the playoffs and exit in round one that to keep missing. However, on a single year basis we are far better off with what happened to us than say what happened to Tampa. They get into the playoffs and promptly get swept. Not even a single road victory, let alone a home victory for the fans. Now they are unceremoniously dumped on the curb shaking their collective heads, and they get to pick around #17.

We get the #7 pick, a new coach and new GM, and new direction hopefully. 

If a couple of years with Ritchie, Vertanen or Nylander tearing it up, we might look back and at least the edge might soften.

Anyway...I don't want boring hockey, but still think Trotz might be a good pick.

Edited by remkin

Remkin, is there really anything such as boring hockey? Yeah, maybe so. But I agree - I think Trotz is the way to go.

Still reading the forum from a distance.

Carry on folks!

Unless we're going to rebuild the team for Trotz to come here I don't see it working. We have more then a few forwards who suck at 2-way play and a defense full of mediocrity. A coach can't infuse talent into our D.

Nashville wasn't full of studs but it's defense has had it's share of them. We've got Sekera whom it will be seen if he can repeat this years performance and Faulk who has a whole lot to prove moving forward.