The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

I hope that Ronnie hires a coach who's style fits the "core" players on the roster. Muller's system may have worked with a different roster, but I don't think he had the pieces to make his style work and was too inflexible or inexperienced to adapt.

I hope that Ronnie hires a coach who's style fits the "core" players on the roster. Muller's system may have worked with a different roster, but I don't think he had the pieces to make his style work and was too inflexible or inexperienced to adapt.

Well, Vigneault got the Rangers players to change.  And I'm not sure we really want to keep our core around.

Trotz =  dump and chase + one-man forecheck + neutral zone trap

No thanks.

Well I do agree I don't want to see that.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/09/wings-grant-permission-to-talk-to-assistants-renney-peters/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Nbc saying that Detroit has allowed teams to talk w/ their assistants.

Bill Peters doesn't have head coaching experience in NHL, but has done well as a head coach at all other levels, and a couple years on the Detroit bench doesn't hurt.

Any thoughts?

And I'm not sure we really want to keep our core around.

I kind of think that's why I put the quotation marks around core.  My point is that the coach and his style have to mesh with the players that are on the roster.  That either means the coach has to be in a certain mold, or the players have to be changed to fit.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/09/wings-grant-permission-to-talk-to-assistants-renney-peters/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Nbc saying that Detroit has allowed teams to talk w/ their assistants.

Bill Peters doesn't have head coaching experience in NHL, but has done well as a head coach at all other levels, and a couple years on the Detroit bench doesn't hurt.

Any thoughts?

Didn't Dave Lewis have experience as a HC of the Wings?   Perhaps there are reasons he was a former head coach.

Didn't Dave Lewis have experience as a HC of the Wings?   Perhaps there are reasons he was a former head coach.

The two assistants in question are Tom Renny and Bill Peters. Renny has been a head coach in the NHL with a pretty spotty record, but Peters has a pretty good track record in the minors and very good in Juniors as a head coach. I don't personally know him, but his previous record along with a couple of years in the "winning culture" and at Babcock's side seems like an interesting mix.

No NHL head coaching experience but Peters seems interesting. Plus then even if we didn't keep Justin, we'd still have a Peters.

And one whopping season as head coach of the B's...then they fired him and hired Claude...wonder if that ever worked out for them?

I missed that part but if Ronnie said he is interested in talking to "them" that could also throw Dave Tippett and Quenneville into the mix but I can't see their clubs releasing or not extending them.

If you extend the successful "former teammate" list to add NHL assistant coaches, Doug Jarvis (Bruins) stands out with 5 Cups, Selke, Masterton, NHL Iron Man record and former AHL head coach of the Bulldogs. There are also Doug Houda (Boston), Brad Shaw (Blues), Gelinas (Flames), Ulfie (Rangers), Anderson (Yotes) and John Stevens (Kings)....

Guess Ronnie will be busy :) Thanks for the list, Whaler1. Jarvis would be awesome.

And just to watch this thread go wild… Mike Keenan, whose KHL team just won the championship, is reportedly interested in getting back to the NHL, despite the misleading headline on this CBC report (read carefully, he never says he wouldn't come back, only that there was no interest last time he was available).

Yipes.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Guess Ronnie will be busy :) Thanks for the list, Whaler1. Jarvis would be awesome.

And just to watch this thread go wild… Mike Keenan, whose KHL team just won the championship, is reportedly interested in getting back to the NHL, despite the misleading headline on this CBC report (read carefully, he never says he wouldn't come back, only that there was no interest last time he was available).

Yipes.

I heard an interview with him on XM regarding this.  Yes, he would come back if someone calls.  But he is also quite proud of his Gagarin Cup.  He also intimated that he's not sure any team would call anyway.  :)   

*Read his wiki article...   It is interesting.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Keenan

Despite Keenan's coaching record, his inability to maintain working relationships with players and team organizations has resulted in a lack of long term coaching positions.[8] His coaching resume includes abrupt terminations or resignations from coaching or general manager positions, sometimes at bafflingly inopportune, or peak, moments of his career.[citation needed]

Trotz = a winning coach with a successful track record.

Dineen is unproven, Ulf is unproven.  Who else is there that is proven?

Not that I'm sold on Dineen, but what's your definition of unproven? 

In his first coaching year, he took a non-playoffs Portland Pirates team and improved them by a remarkable 34 points and made it to game 7 in the Finals for the first time. The following year he lost some important players he developed and missed the playoffs but rebounded with a 99 pt season and a trip to the Conference Finals. When the Sabres took over the Pirates he improved them to 101 points and took them to the playoffs two years in a row before the Panthers gave him a shot.

In his first year with the Cats he took the SE division title with an unimpressive team and made the playoffs for the first time in 12 years. When he couldn't repeat the feat the following year, with an even worse team that was thrown together with a bunch of last minute signings from the UFA scrap heap and arguably the worst goalie tandem in the league, he took the fall for an incompetent GM. 

Last year he won Gold with Canada's girls hockey team.

I think Kevin definitely has potential. Is he the best choice out there? That's for Francis to decide.

In his first coaching year, he took a non-playoffs Portland Pirates team and improved them by a remarkable 34 points and made it to game 7 in the Finals for the first time. The following year he lost some important players he developed and missed the playoffs but rebounded with a 99 pt season and a trip to the Conference Finals. When the Sabres took over the Pirates he improved them to 101 points and took them to the playoffs two years in a row before the Panthers gave him a shot.

In his first year with the Cats he took the SE division title with an unimpressive team and made the playoffs for the first time in 12 years. When he couldn't repeat the feat the following year, with an even worse team that was thrown together with a bunch of last minute signings from the UFA scrap heap and arguably the worst goalie tandem in the league, he took the fall for an incompetent GM. 

I think Kevin definitely has potential. Is he the best choice out there? That's for Francis to decide.

You make a very compelling case Whaler. Good stuff.

1.  Getting to the playoffs on a consistent basis/

2. The ability to keep a job for more than 3 years.

3. A proven track record with more wins than losses.

Dineen only last 2 years as an NHL head coach.  No thanks.

On Dineen:

It really did sound like he had a pretty good track record until that last year.

A good deal of successful coaches had less than successful initial starts, learned from their experience and had a nice career after that. Now a serial underacheiving coach like Remmy, no need to go there.

Even Muller might well end up being a successful NHL coach.

So hard to know about a guy like Dineen. His Junior teams went 266-193 counting all OT losses as losses. But his Florida teams went 53-90, and got progressively worse. Even his playoff team was 38-44. His last year they were 3-13 when he was fired.

Now Florida was not a good team, but sure looks like he lost the team. 

Would have to buy into the great potential, learned from a bad situation, will do better this time, line.

Not so sure the more I look at it.

Glad I'm not making this decision.

On another note, the Penguins are a couple of bad bounces from being bounced from the playoffs. Could Bylsma actually become available? 

I don't think we should be in a rush. Dineen is probable one of the finalists being considered but there are and will be others.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: If the Penguins get eliminated by the Rangers, Bylsma’s a goner.

As long as we can get a coach named by early June we should be fine. If Francis decides one of the coaches under consideration now is the way to go then hire him now but otherwise I would be just as content to see us take our time and make sure we get it right.

Well I would definitely wait a couple of days to see if Bylsma is available. (as I kind of hinted at).

He got a lot more out of J. than Muller ever did.

Plus, if the NYR complete the comeback I am one step closer to that contest biscuit. 

Edited by remkin

I heard an interview with him on XM regarding this.  Yes, he would come back if someone calls.  But he is also quite proud of his Gagarin Cup.  He also intimated that he's not sure any team would call anyway.  :)   

*Read his wiki article...   It is interesting.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Keenan

If you want some really good laughs, read that blowhard Jeremy Roenick's account of his playing days with Keenan here. Good thing there's no embellishment rule for memoirs.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Well I would definitely wait a couple of days to see if Bylsma is available. (as I kind of hinted at).

He got a lot more out of J. than Muller ever did.

Plus, if the NYR complete the comeback I am one step closer to that contest biscuit. 

Me too. I figured it would come down to goaltending and who's hungrier. Should be an interesting game seven. 

If you want some really good laughs, read that blowhard Jeremy Roenick's account of his playing days with Keenan here. Good thing there's no embellishment rule for memoirs.

Man, things have changed.  Pete Friesen's approach to make everybody we have as skinny as possible (e.g. Jordan Staal) wouldn't have worked then.

Thanks for posting, that was pretty funny.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Even if a quarter of it is true (which is probably the top end of the probability scale with J.R.) it's pretty amazing. Though I have a hard time with the story about Banff, in particular the snow depth. It went from "six feet deep" to "up to my chest" in the blink of an eye, so in all likelihood there was scattered flurries three provinces away.

Still nothing compared to the Cup taking a swim in Mario's pool.

Edited by top-shelf-1

A pinch surprised he didn't wait longer for a head coaching job he's getting paid this year regardless.

Now I wonder in coaching contracts if they accept another job if they still get whatever was left on their last contract? I assume they do and are double dipping.