The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

As far as Crawford and Ulf, (censored) no to both...either as HC or Assts:

Ulf was the precursor to Matt Cooke:

Marc Crawford went ape(censored) on Scotty Bowman...the best coach in the game:

And let's not forget his orders to Bertuzzi vs. Steve Moore...

in terms of priorities what are the most pressing issues facing the Canes' front office?

new coach and assistants?

decisions regardings UFAs and RFAa?

draft picks?

what to do with high-priced non-producing players?

Coach and the Draft first. They could be waiting to see how the playoffs shake out and what happens with other clubs. They're also most likely being very thorough and looking at all options, so I'd expect it would take some time. It's been a little while, so I check daily now. But I wouldn't be surprised if it kept like this for a little while more. Then again they could name a new head coach tomorrow. Hasn't been much about where management is leaning.

And the Draft because it's next up after the playoffs. It's been rumored the Hurricanes might bid on the first overall pick as well. If we don't we still sit at 7th which is a nice pick, and where we struck gold before.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Isn't one of the Rabgers' asst coaches (Samuelson  ??) in the running for the job?  If so, the Canes front office can' talk with him unlill the Ranges; run in the playoffs is over.

Sucka, not to change the point of this thread, but was curious in your comment "It's been rumored that the Canes might bid on the first overall pick". Not sure what to make out of this. Could you elaborate, as well as tell us where that comes from?

Sucka, not to change the point of this thread, but was curious in your comment "It's been rumored that the Canes might bid on the first overall pick". Not sure what to make out of this. Could you elaborate, as well as tell us where that comes from?

I did see a rumor that Florida wants to move down in the draft because they think they can get Nylander anywhere between the 5-7th pick. The hurricanes were mentioned in the article, but I think it was speculation.

It was speculation. I got it from Spector though on his website Spectorshockey.net 

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson speculates the Edmonton Oilers, New York Islanders, Vancouver Canucks and Carolina Hurricanes could have interest in the Florida Panthers first round pick (first overall), which they’ve publicly acknowledged they’re willing to trade for the right deal…

Doubt we have enough to offer to outbid anyone else. But who knows, we don't really know how Francis is going to play any of this out yet. As well as who exactly we'd be moving up to #1 for. 

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I did see a rumor that Florida wants to move down in the draft because they think they can get Nylander anywhere between the 5-7th pick. The hurricanes were mentioned in the article, but I think it was speculation.

Thanks for the info, Sucka. My ability to ferret out Canes related information tidbits seems very limited at times. As to who we might want, from what I've read, it must be Ekblad, as doesn't everyone seem to feel he is the only one capable of stepping into the NHL next year?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Thanks for the info, Sucka. Myability to ferret out Canes related information tidbits seems very limited at times.

You're not alone there. There's not much about anything being floated out there. Only speculation, and even that is sparse. 

Edited by SuckaPunchd

During WRAL's 6:00pm news tonight, during the sports segment they mentioned a possibility/rumor of Brind'Amour as coach....  PLEASE NOOOOOO!!!!  I think the world of Rod, but we need a proven head coach with a track record at some level.

iguanadon, even if true, don't you think it would be more reasonable that he would be the ASSISTANT COACH, and not COACH. I don't think that Ron Francis would be that rash.

My man-love for Rod is well-known, but him as HC right now isn't a good idea...cause that means he'll ultimately be fired

Scott Walker Will Be The Canes Next Head Coach!

Rumor or desire?  I have mentioned Scott Walker many times, but I have never heard anybody else mention him as a possibility...although he is still coaching his current team and that could explain the delay in announcing a new coach....

Theres nothing exciting about Scott Walker, Kevin Dineen or any of the other unproven NHL candidates for coach.  Just a bunch of risk like Muller was.  If not Trotz than please find someone else with several years NHL winning experience Francis.  He knows this, I'd be suprised if he messes with an AHL coach again.

Theres nothing exciting about Scott Walker, Kevin Dineen or any of the other unproven NHL candidates for coach.  Just a bunch of risk like Muller was.  If not Trotz than please find someone else with several years NHL winning experience Francis.  He knows this, I'd be suprised if he messes with an AHL coach again.

I get the desire for " several years NHL winning experience", but those people have jobs.  Trotz pretty much fits the description, and I would be very happy to hear him announced as the next head coach, but there are several teams that probably have the same desire.  It is rumored that he is about to be named HC in Vancouver.  Outside of Trotz, everybody else in unproven.

It sure has been quiet on the coaching front. Barely a whisper. Makes me wonder if we have made an offer and are waiting to hear back or still need the playoffs to end for another interview. I can't imagine we don't have a short list by now. we don't really need the coach for the draft but I would think we would want the next coach in on the RFA and FA decisions. Since we are rumored to be floating trade names out in the NHL universe I still expect we want a coach before we make any draft day moves.

Waiting is the hardest part.

The price of moving up to #1 from #7 is too high. Don't do it. 

Now, as mentioned previously the price to move up to 4 or 5, at least historically could be doable. Basically our second round pick. 

If we want a proven coach, and Trotz is off to Vancouver, we could also be waiting for Pittsburgh to get around to firing Byslma. 

Otherwise it would be and asst. of a currently remaining playoff team if the delay goes much longer.

Or we could have been waiting on Trotz to decide....

Who knows?

Edited by remkin

The Carolina Hurricanes are still searching for a head coach. But there is not an immediate need to fill the position, seeing as the hockey season is not over and there are several candidates still working.

“The process will take as long as it needs to get it right,” Hurricanes General Manager Ron Francis said. “[The new coach] has to be a good communicator, with the ability to teach and hold the guys accountable for their play.”

Read more at http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hurricanes-don-t-need-to-rush-in-coaching-search/13662777/#mtsSvgeg9l0RpARg.99

When Maniscalco mentioned that several candidates were still coaching, I was thinking NHL assistants.  I didn't realize that Guelph was still playing in the Memorial Cup. 

If Scott Walker is one of the leading candidates, that might make more sense of retaining Brind'Amour before even naming the next head coach since they already have a relationship from playing together with the Canes.

As others have mentioned, every available candidate has flaws of one type or another.  Given that, I don't buy into ruling out an exceptionally talented coach with no NHL experience just because Mueller didn't work out.  Seems that Patrick Roy did just fine in Colorado this year. 

If we were looking at just the short term (best chance of winning immediately), I might go for experience over talent (in which case we should have re-hired Lavi).  But to build a strong franchise long term, I'll take better coaching talent over more experience.   Let's face it, there are no Babcocks, Sutters, or Quennevilles available. Even if Bylsma comes open, he's a coach who has arguably under performed given the talent he had on his teams (I'm not arguing against considering Bylsma if he's fired, just pointing out that even he comes with risks).  

Edited by LakeLivin

It's got to be tough to assess coaching "talent". How do you know? A lot of guys had nice records coaching juniors, etc, then not as hot in the NHL. Some junior teams are just stacked. Slide the pucks out there and watch. Walker certainly gets the nod as a heart and soul player, but that's not the same as being a great coach. Seems most coaches w/ no NHL experience will have a learning curve. Muller probably goes to St Louis, seasons a bit more, then goes and kills it somewhere as a head coach.

Even an NHL coach is tough to judge. Bylsma has a great regular season record, even years with massive injuries, but only one cup, so...Trotz makes the playoffs year after year w/ average teams, but he's too boring..

I do think Brind'amour needs more coaching experience though.

Otherwise, I'll probably fret about it, and then be pretty happy w/ whomever they pick.

One thing we know for sure, since Lavi, Mo, and Muller are tied up, we won't be recycling, so that's a plus.

Edited by remkin

Ron Francis said. “[The new coach] has to be a good communicator, with the ability to teach and hold the guys accountable for their play.”

I have seen this quote a couple of times. It is the communicator and teach that jumps out at me. After all what coach doesn't hold players accountable. I understand we have a young team but does this indicate we are about to get younger? Rebuild versus quick fix?

Could refer to players who clearly are good at the AHL level not being able to make the jump.

I suppose it could. that being said  I suppose we would need to make a decision on our AHL coaching staff soon. Haven't heard or read a word about Daniels in a couple of weeks.