The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

I heard one of the experts on the hockey station on XM yesterday. Referring to last year's Hurricanes he said, "That was just a very badly coached team."

Sounds like Scotty Laughlin. Who's no expert.

Muller is going nowhere, ....

Well thanks for the 100% proof and clarification on that!

We all wanted to know since you Mesic NC (Oriental) guys are so like insiders and have insider dirt 

:rofl:  :dizzy: 

Greg...you're becoming a broken record...you've posted that crap comparing Oates to Kirk in three different threads now...and we all know what you think about fav-or-itism...please...stop!

Greg......you've posted that crap comparing Oates to Kirk ...

Sorry to hear you think a fact-based post comparing Kirk and Oates is “crap”… no need to get so pissy  :tsktsk: 

Well thanks for the 100% proof and clarification on that!

We all wanted to know since you Mesic NC (Oriental) guys are so like insiders and have insider dirt 

:rofl:  :dizzy: 

Skating at 4, have played hockey since 8, (so that's 48 years) in Pennsylvania, Canada and now NC. Like every other sport hockey has a culture all its own, and things Muller is saying are the things taught throughout the hockey culture.

Francis himself has said that any decision on Muller must be done "by due process," which in any organization means an assessment of goals set out for minus unforeseen factors that might have impacted them being met. Let's remember that Cam was back to form before his injury (though you hate admitting it); that Khu suffered a freak injury on a rut in the ice (clearly MULLER's fault!!!) and Peters lost five straight before finding his mojo. Yet the team was in the playoff hunt until the last week.

And BTW, you're welcome. My pleasure.

Skating at 4, have played hockey since 8, (so that's 48 years) in Pennsylvania, Canada and now NC. Like every other sport hockey has a culture all its own, and things Muller is saying are the things taught throughout the hockey culture.....

Sorry, but you talking about hockey etiquette, culture and class carries ZERO weight after making uncalled for  comments here towards a fellow Caniac poster  (ex: “Another provocative post from Greg 'N Ral. *Yawn.*)

You may think we “owe” Cam something (good luck getting your friends/neighbors in Mesic NC to donate) and clearly I don’t, but that is no reason to act as you have here.   You've shown your true colors here so no need to tell me about your understanding of proper hockey character – instead try and grow up when faced with an opinion that is different than yours! 

regardless if the services of Mueller are retained or not, isn't the advice of whomever is going to the HC of next year's team needed for the upcoming draft?

Sorry, but you talking about hockey etiquette, culture and class carries ZERO weight after making uncalled for  comments here towards a fellow Caniac poster  (ex: “Another provocative post from Greg 'N Ral. *Yawn.*)

You may think we “owe” Cam something (good luck getting your friends/neighbors in Mesic NC to donate) and clearly I don’t, but that is no reason to act as you have here.   You've shown your true colors here so no need to tell me about your understanding of proper hockey character – instead try and grow up when faced with an opinion that is different than yours! 

Actually, we agree that Cam should be on the block assuming there's a market for him. Look at my posts. I'd love to see Cam and Staal to Vancouver for Edler and Kesler.

And after your prior (and any number of other) posts here, Greg, please don't presume to lecture me about forum etiquette. If you don't like being called out on your attempts to provoke, here's a thought: Stop doing it. 

Did I just read that only a 5-15 record warrants Muller being fired? You set the bar really high....

What's unreasonable about giving the guy a quarter of the season, particularly when the last half of this season was so much better than we've been since '09? Just curious.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Did you not watch our play last season? We sucked. Everyone of you told me that I was crazy when I said we were missing the playoffs after our December finish. Reality struck and we dropped a goose egg. Are you saying that won't happen again? Our play has been atrocious. Our big guns have had career lows. That is the sign of a poorly coached team.

"Our big guns have had career lows. That is a sign of a poorly coached team" (bluedevil58)

-----possibly, but also nagging undisclosed injuries of our big guns may have contributed.

Watching Jussi light it up for the Pens - reinforces my fire muller attitude ... Brilliant move JR give away jussi - sutter and Rutuu ....

Just brilliant !

Watching Jussi light it up for the Pens - reinforces my fire muller attitude ... Brilliant move JR give away jussi - sutter and Rutuu ....

Just brilliant !

I wish we could have given Ruutu away with no cap retention.

Sutter was a big piece in a trade improving our C corps.

Jussi clearly had no value. We're just lucky his cap retention ends this year.

These things shouldn't have that big of an effect on how you feel about a coach though :P

Edited by staalsy

Just brilliant !

Soooo… a bad GM decision means fire the coach? Brilliant.

Did you not watch our play last season? We sucked. Everyone of you told me that I was crazy when I said we were missing the playoffs after our December finish. Reality struck and we dropped a goose egg. Are you saying that won't happen again? Our play has been atrocious. Our big guns have had career lows. That is the sign of a poorly coached team.

Or of lazy big guns? And since we both watched the Canes last season, I'm guessing you know that our play in the second half was in fact not atrocious. At the end of December it was easy to predict we wouldn't make the playoffs, because at that point we were 15-25 (due largely, whether you buy it or not, to injuries). From January on we were 21-21.

Everybody who is blaming this coach should remember that team culture doesn't change overnight, as much as we want it to. The second half was the first time in five years we've had anything resembling a PP, a PK or a winning attitude. Changing horses as you're beginning to (finally) join the pack is senseless.

Edited by top-shelf-1

At the end of last season the pro Kirk argument consisted of 1) First season was mid-term replacement 2) He didn't have training camp because of the lockout 3) The lockout caused a shortened season. The general consensus was this season would be the true measure. Now we are at the decision point. Do we grind out next season by doing the same thing again? Or do we roll the dice. 

I'm standing next to the pit boss and he is unwrapping a new set of dice and the ticket sales staff and STH keep shouting " Roll em !"

Edited by winger52

I think a few of us believe Jokinen's misuse by Muller led to his underproduction and being dealt.

Ruutu however started doing better but still wasn't playing amazing for the Devils either. So at this point that deal's actually not to bad, considering the potential Loktionov showed.

If it's true and Muller constantly had JR breathing down his neck and being a back seat driver then I'd love to see him when he's allowed t do his job. However, if that is true the players will likely have no respect for Muller or his message at this point.

It'll be interesting all the same, I'm game either way because with a new GM and fixing this team correctly likely means we're in for another year of no playoffs. If Francis band-aids the issues to try to make a playoff run he's just as bad as JR then.

This is what I am talking about!  Lewis, MacLean fired!   A step in the right direction!  Bring on Trotz or even Tortorella.

Edited by bluedevil58

Bring on Trotz or even Tortorella.

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?!?!?!  One would have the fans bored to tears...the other is mentally unstable.

Glad they kept Rod...I would have shown up at the arena with torches and pitchforks if they dared give the axe to the MAN!!!

This is what I am talking about!  Lewis, MacLean fired!   A step in the right direction!  Bring on Trotz or even Tortorella.

NO!!!  Are you crazy!?  Torts was let go by the Canucks because he is a time bomb and will explode!  Francis is smarter than to bring in a hot head like Torts!  And Trotz, well, he couldn't do anything with Nashville.

I think he will try to bring Daniels up and coach.  Daniels has an awesome record with the Checkers and knows the players and has played with Francis.  But, only time will tell!

Well the boards are about to light up.

Somewhere on my Island as I sit licking my wounds accused by some of not predicting too well I feel compelled to refer the gentle reader to post #90 of the Jim Rutherford expected to....thread and multiple other recent posts predicting this. From Post #90 before any of the announcements: 

Personally I predict:

JR stays as President

Francis GM

Muller replaced

All major forwards remain: Staals, Skinner, Semin, Lindholm.

If we had an emoticon patting itself on the back I would insert here.

We'll see about the last part, but I'm pretty sure this clears the deck for all big named players to remain.

I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I am reminded of the very end of the article on Francis after he took over when he said, and I paraphrase, "I know what we have and I have a pretty good idea what needs fixing, and I will soon set about fixing it."

Just fixed one thing.

Edited by remkin

RALEIGH, NC – Ron Francis, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has relieved Head Coach Kirk Muller and Assistant Coaches John MacLean and Dave Lewis of their duties. The Hurricanes also reassigned Goaltending Coach Greg Stefan to the pro scouting department. Assistant Coach Rod Brind’Amour will remain part of the coaching staff.

Looks like Francis got out the BIG BROOM for a clean sweep.

GM Ron Francis will speak to the media today at 2 p.m.

Maybe we will get a clue into our new direction