The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

Are people seirously considering trading Semin?  This is the elite winger that we have not had in YEARS.  Actually we have never had a winger of this caliber as long as I have been a canes fan.  Almost all of our stars had very horrible years.  That is a sign of terrible coaching.  If it was just Semin or Just Eric then yeah ok I would call them out.  But if it is Semin, Eric, and Jordan, and Jussi Jokinen, and Ruutu.....  Then that is a dead give away of who is to blame.

I agree 100 percent. Semin had some injuries last season that probably contributed to his lack of production.  That being said, if some of his linemates were playing better he would have had quite a few more assists.  I thought that on many nights, his passing was brilliant.  I expect that he will make believers out of some people next year and I hope that he will be a Hurricane next season. 

On that note I wanted to say something I don't think have been voiced here yet. I think we should consider a coach (obviously not a head coach necessarily) in our staff that is fluent or can adequately speak Russian. I think it could really help Semin, unless they just want an interpreter if there is on even used. And our other players, such as Tolchinsky, Loktionov (possibly), Khudobin. Even players like Loks or Dobby that are already fluent enough in english, because hearing it in their native tongue could help them better understand their roles. Maybe I'm just being unrealistic idk.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

It takes two to tango.  You can't just "change" without someone willing to trade with.

Not that easy.

1) If Eric doesn't want a trade, there's no trade.  See: No Trade Clause

2) $7M per year for Semin may be hard for other teams to swallow

3) $6.3M per year for Ward is hard to swallow.  See endless discussions elsewhere.

You don't just snap your fingers and make a change.  RF has his work cut out for him.

ETc.

I was not suggesting any certain players to move.  I was just saying that with all the change going on, if RF moved some of the bigger names on the team and was able to get a good return, that I would not be upset by it.  At this point, anything that makes the team as a whole better is an option to me.  I have heard that Joe Thornton could be moved.  I doubt that he would take a trade to Carolina since he has a no trade clause ......but if it were possible, I'd take a trade like that no matter who we gave up.  

I'd love to see something like this:  Eric and Cam moved and Nash and Thornton brought in.   Or maybe Thornton and Iginla.

NOW I KNOW this is not going to happen.  But it is nice to have your own pipe dream once in a while.  LoL.

This does remind me of how we are different as a small market team. Some players might like the idea of coming here, (a guy like Semin, who was short on options and didn't mind flying bit below the radar for a while. Or a guy like J. who was forever Penned in at third line center (see what I did there?), and who's brother played for us), but most will not have us on their list. This means a lot of FA's and a lot of established players with NTC's. This is one area JR became pretty good at: finding impactful guys who were not really in a position to be picky. 

I don't want to undersell us too much, we do have some players to play with, and Raleigh is a great town once the player gets here and settles in, but it has to be the right player. Not only do we not have the bankroll, but we are not a major metropolis with all of the glam and glitter that comes with it. Then there's the not making the playoffs, not one of the 15 or so arenas sold out every night, joining the Staals team (if that might unsettle you). Etc. 

I'm not saying there is no chance we could land a Joe Thornton (no, I would not want to pay the price for him at all, just using him as an example), just that we are competing w/ 29 other teams, at least half of which are simply generally more compelling to a FA or a guy w/ a NTC. 

So more than likely, we need to make a move for more of a upper middle or middle player with upside, that either does not have a NTC, or is ready for a change. This is what Francis needs to do. Find a way to bring in a couple of key guys who are better than their salary and general impressions to fill some key roles. (I kind of thought Lotkionov might have turned into that. I wonder how the injury factors in here because it can take several months for a guy to get back to really productive).

This is also why it is so important for us to build through good drafting. Generally, once a guy joins the team, and plays here a while, they like it and we can keep them, even if they are stars: Skinner, Faulk, E. Staal, C.Ward, etc. Also you get that entry contract. And may not have to give the NTC early.

Blockbuster trades are rare, but they do happen. That's how Thornton ended up in San Jose, and Seguin in Dallas. But they are rare. In my view the blockbuster trade would be Eric Staal for something, probably a bunch of smaller things. Francis has to have a clear picture of Eric first and foremost. Can he get it done with a slightly better team and a better coach? Then add to that the reality that his brother is here (w/ his own NTC), and E has a NTC, so it is going to have to be very dire to actually move him. Francis would have to have zero confidence in Eric, and the Staal squared plan to move him.

Moving Skinner would be toxic and crazy. Moving Lindholm? Ha! Moving Jordan? What return w/ that salary, and see Eric on brother and NTC. Semin? Coming off that year w/ that contract, and his reputation? Not a good move. Far more upside to keep, and a talent level that is exactly what I was talking about us not attracting here from FA. Faulk? Ha! Sekera? Ha Ha. Ha. 

Tlusty is a possibility. Sign and trade. Maybe. But hardly a blockbuster. 

Ward. Sure, but what return? Retain salary? NTC. 

IF Francis can package Ward w/ his salary plus the #7 pick, for a solidly above average player with a few years on the contract....maybe.

I do think that Francis wants to make "a" move. He's the new GM, needs to do something. But then again, might be best if the new guy warms up with some smaller moves first anyway. C.Ward: tough task. Tlusty sign and trade...for the right guy....maybe packaged w/ Ward... suddenly trading the pick becomes one of the few things he could do...we traded the #8 overall pick to Pittsburgh a couple of years ago. NO.

I will add this. In the long run it would be really nice to gain a first round pick, especially from a rebuilding team, say next year. 

Also, I can see trading down in this draft if someone around #11 would give up something. 

#11 pick: Nashville: Have Rinne, but not great the last couple of years....C Ward, Tlusty, Swap Draft picks, for one of their better D men and Matt Cullen? Oh Cullen is pushing 38....what could have been. Never happen, but that kind of thing. We would still get a good prospect at #11, w/ a decent chance at Hayden Fleury...

Who knows? In Ron We Trust.

Edited by remkin

Caniac, my post wasn't meant as a negative towards you, just Mark Jones who I strongly suspect hated Ulf as a player and let his emotion bias his evaluation of him as a potential coach. :)

I didn't take it in a negative way!  I have not read many Mark Jones articles so I appreciate your opinion!!    :thumbsup:

Caniac- I hadn't heard of Mark Jones until yesterday.  But I read another of his articles about which UFAs we should keep.  He acknowledged that Malholtra was a positive on face-offs but suggested we could do better all around and should let him go.  The fact that he doesn't recognize the other things that Manny brings to a team like the Canes makes me question his hockey sense as much or more so than the bias he presents in Ulf article.  

I get the feeling that Bleacher Report articles are written by people like us who just take the extra time to formalize and polish up their thoughts a bit.  Anybody know for sure if that's true?

Edited by LakeLivin

I get the feeling that Bleacher Report articles are written by people like us who just take the extra time to formalize and polish up their thoughts a bit.  Anybody know for sure if that's true?

Who sits in the bleachers?  Do Luke or Chip sit in the bleachers?

I don't think this even means we'll pick a Cup finalist coach, Francis might just want to do his due diligence on his coach list and didn't feel threatened his top choice would sign somewhere else.

Still don't count Desjardins out either. The Stars are up 2-1 in the Calder Finals, which might not be over for over a week more (or this Tuesday if the Stars win out).

I still wonder if DesJardin might be allowed to at least tele conference w/ a team during the playoffs. Doesn't seem fair for him to miss out on an NHL job due to his success.

It is great watching the finals and even though it was 4-1 it was much better played than that, but now we can focus on this, and the draft and getting ready for next year!

Edited by remkin

We need to fully realize we have a new GM now. Francis has huge respect around the league. Think of Yzerman in Tampa. Francis might be a lot better at persuading players to consider coming to Carolina than JR was. Also, we forget sometimes some players we might not expect wanting to play here actually wanting to like Jaromir Jagr, or Ron Hainsey.  A "fresh start", a new coach, and a new GM who is in the HOF and has a lot of respect in the league could begin to turn the tide sooner than we thought. Just some optimism. I think things could get better quickly this year. I hope so anyways.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Still don't count Desjardins out either. The Stars are up 2-1 in the Calder Finals, which might not be over for over a week more (or this Tuesday if the Stars win out).

I still wonder if DesJardin might be allowed to at least tele conference w/ a team during the playoffs. Doesn't seem fair for him to miss out on an NHL job due to his success.

It is great watching the finals and even though it was 4-1 it was much better played than that, but now we can focus on this, and the draft and getting ready for next year!

I would prefer him over Ulf ,since we are not talking to Bylsma.

We need to fully realize we have a new GM now. Francis has huge respect around the league. Think of Yzerman in Tampa. Francis might be a lot better at persuading players to consider coming to Carolina than JR was. Also, we forget sometimes some players we might not expect wanting to play here actually wanting to like Jaromir Jagr, or Ron Hainsey.  A "fresh start", a new coach, and a new GM who is in the HOF and has a lot of respect in the league could begin to turn the tide sooner than we thought. Just some optimism. I think things could get better quickly this year. I hope so anyways.

Well, I'm not going back to the Island just yet.  I think there's a lot of work to be done, but as long as I see some kind of progress, I won't defect. ;)

It appears Florida is about ready to make a choice

FLA GM Dale Tallon has whittled list of 6 finalists for head coach down to 3. Will narrow to 2 and name one, likely by end of week

Six FLA coaching finalists were: Dan Bylsma, Marc Crawford, Ron Wilson, Gerard Gallant, Tom Renney, Bill Peters

Francis has been very quiet. I would think we are close to a decision too.

Just say no to Renney. Classic poster boy for looks the part, but no real record of winning. For a Detroit asst. like Peters better.

I get the Detroit guys getting looks, but...I don't see cup team assistants in there, or Desjardin. Might be why Fla is closer to a decision than us: All 6 of those guys have been available for interviews for a while now.

If we are looking at a Kings or NYR assistant, or Desjardin, we would be a bit off that pace.

OBXer, from that list, except for Bylsma, do you see anyone who excites you? I"m underwhelmed, or am I missing something?

You know, I don't. Bylsma certainly is worth full consideration. I know Crawford and Renney had been mentioned as interested. Not sure if Wilson or the others applied but I suspect they have.

I still think Dinnen is on our short list and Florida won't be interested in him. If the Florida choice is Bylsma I think we would have lost a good candidate but my guess is it will be his choice.

Well Francis seems to be keeping things pretty clandestine. For all we know he met with the Pope.

Humble yet assertive with a touch of divine guidance. I like those qualities in a coach.

Every time I try to imagine what that would look like on game day, it devolves into a Monty Python sketch.

Fetch me the comfy pillow!