The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

Personally, looking at their backgrounds, I would want to get Stevens over Ulf.  

Blysma is more of a defensive minded coach and with our current defense, we would be in a world of hurt.

Dineen did not do a really good job with Florida but would be a good asst. coach for Stevens. 

These, of course, are just my opinions.  Each one has their price so we shall see!!

As I recall Caniac5, I was very envious of Fla in Dineen's 1st year there, as he at least got them to the playoffs. It was his 2nd yr that he faltered, but then, look at the team he had to work with. Thus, he'd be my 1st choice, then Ulf. Personally, I think we'll get resolution to our head coaching either today or tomorrow?

Considering the history between Ronnie and Ulf I'd have to say it's pretty obvious Ulf has been the favorite all along and it will take someone with amazing interview skills to make that change.

Personally, I want Bylsma... I know the knocks against him. He had a far superior talented team and such. But he's been to the dance. He's felt the pressure to win. He has experience. Am I saying he's the best coach ever? No. But he's certainly one of the best available, IMO. The money factor would be another issue...

However, I'm not going to be upset with any decision right away unless it's completely boneheaded. I doubt that happens. I think Francis is doing the right thing and CAREFULLY choosing a coach. And I'll accept (like I have a choice) whichever candidate he chooses. The way I see it, this is a new team. There is a new GM, and will be a new coach. I'll give them plenty of rope...

Considering the history between Ronnie and Ulf I'd have to say it's pretty obvious Ulf has been the favorite all along and it will take someone with amazing interview skills to make that change.

Bill Peters must have some mad interview skillz!

SHOOT ME NOW PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS PETERS.............

OH GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's wrong with Peters? Just because Dave Lewis didn't work out that means Peters won't either? Not sure I follow.

The fact that on the surface there aren't any personal ties... I'm of the opinion that Francis had a reason for hiring this guy...

Rutherford trying to snag Roddie?

According to the report, interviews began Monday and Rutherford identified his top choice between Wednesday night and Thursday morning.

In addition, the Tribune-Review reports Rick Tocchet interviewed for an assistant coaching position and Rod Brind'Amour is a target for a role with the Penguins.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_news.htm?id=723193

Edited by Whattausay

Bio from RedWings website:

Peters is entering his second season as an assistant coach with the Red Wings. In his first season in the Motor City, Peters worked primarily with the team’s defensemen and penalty kill units. He joined the coaching staff following three seasons behind the bench of the Rockford IceHogs, the American Hockey League affiliate of the Chicago Blackhawks. During his three-year tenure in Rockford, Peters compiled a 122-97-7-14 record and led the IceHogs to back-to-back 40-win seasons and consecutive Calder Cup playoff appearances in 2008-09 and 2009-10. Peters directed the second-youngest team in the AHL to a 38-33-4-5 record in 2010-11. During his time in Rockford, he helped 28 players ascend to the NHL ranks, including three members of the 2010 Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks – goalie Antti Niemi, and defensemen Niklas Hjalmarsson and Jordan Hendry.

Prior to his tenure with the IceHogs, Peters enjoyed tremendous success as a head coach at the junior level. He led the Spokane Chiefs of the Western Hockey League to a franchise record 50 wins and 107 points in 2008, and guided the Chiefs to the 2008 Memorial Cup title as champions of the Canadian Hockey League. The Chiefs defeated the Kitchener Rangers 4-1 in the championship game. In three seasons as the head coach in Spokane, Peters compiled a 111-82-10-23 record. He also served as an assistant with the Chiefs twice under current Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock, first as a midseason replacement in 1996-97 and then returning to the same position in 1999-00. Babcock and Peters led the Spokane franchise to a 47-win/100-point campaign that season, along with the WHL’s Western Conference championship.

Peters, 47, served as the head coach of the University of Lethbridge for three campaigns from 2002-05. He guided the Proghorns to one postseason appearance in his three seasons behind the bench before returning to Spokane as head coach of the Chiefs for the 2005-06 season. The Three Hills, Alberta, native also has impressive international credentials, having served as the head coach of Team Canada, which defeated Russia, 6-3, in the gold medal game at the 2008 U-18 Junior World Cup.

Another defense first coach.

That probably means his staff will need to handle offense/power play.

Edited by hopper915

Rem had the inside skinny on this one. He wasn't even on my radar until rem mentioned him earlier. I guess I better read up on him.

Rem had the inside skinny on this one. He wasn't even on my radar until rem mentioned him earlier. I guess I better read up on him.

Good luck.  It's a barren wasteland of information.

I look to the presser tomorrow for the first real taste of who he is.  Because that's all we got.

Good luck.  It's a barren wasteland of information.

I look to the presser tomorrow for the first real taste of who he is.  Because that's all we got.

I'm finding that out. Almost all the reports are just repeating the same information gleened from the Wings bio on him. My first thought (almost always wrong) is we are now offically rebuilding. Went out to get a coach that had experiance working with young players.

I guess we might get a clue tomorrow.

Thanks OBXer, sometimes I think people don't even read two pages back before posting. BTW do I win a biscuit?

I am not upset at all by this. For one thing we were the first mover in the gaggle of no coach teams after Washington.

The only proven NHL coach in serious consideration once Trotz went Washington was Bylsma. Now JR and PK were very close before PK jumped ship and PK's first move was to can Bylsma. I'm not even sure we interviewed him. Of course he may have also turned us down, but I'm guessing Francis wasn't thinking Bylsma for this job.

So it was really down to assistants and guys w/ spotty NHL head coaching records, or guys with really good AHL and below pedigrees but little NHL experience (Desjardin, who was my first pick). But Desjardin has been linked strongly to Vancouver and has a reputation of being soft spoken, and is light on NHL experience, even as an assistant.

First, the problem w/ Peters. No NHL head coach experience. (Same for Desjardin and others, just saying that is my main concern).

Going for him:

1. Part of a winning tradition/organization.

2. Very good track record in sub NHL level head coaching stints.

3. Francis picked him ahead of guys w/ better connections to the team/Francis (Dineen, Ulf). This is an indirect thing, but it does make me think that Francis had his reasons. This was not just an insider hire.

4. He went outside the organization. Seemed likely, but still. 

I look forward to more insight from Francis himself on this hire, but while he Peters is not a flashy choice, I'm in benefit of the doubt mode now.

Edited by remkin