The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

NO!!!  Are you crazy!?  Torts was let go by the Canucks because he is a time bomb and will explode!  Francis is smarter than to bring in a hot head like Torts!  And Trotz, well, he couldn't do anything with Nashville.

I think he will try to bring Daniels up and coach.  Daniels has an awesome record with the Checkers and knows the players and has played with Francis.  But, only time will tell!

Couldn't do anything with Nashville?  He got them to the post season way more than the Canes coaches have.  How is that not doing anything?

The era of LAVI 2.0 may be upon us.

Edited by bluedevil58

Now that I am done patting myself on the back, I will say that I support this move completely.

Francis needs to take the reigns, and Muller is not ready for prime time as a coach yet, and all of the forwards underproducing along with the bad special teams....I suspect he lost the room also.

This team still needs some upgrades to get to elite. But this team was better than we saw this year. A strong coach, and a fully healthy Semin and Eric, with Lindholm's natural improvement path, and a few key upgrades? I don't think we need to blow up the team.

HECK no to Torts. Take a long look around and get the right coach and next year could surprise. Yes, next year.

Edited by remkin

Getting rid of the coach is helpful to show STH that the 'suits' are trying but at the end of the day if Staal & Staal continue to slumber than getting a new coach will be meaningless.  Would be worth it to dangle these two overpaid brothers just to see what we could get and if we don't end up trading them it will still be a wake up call to them that its about performing.  And no matter what Cam has got to be moved; making way to much money to be a back up, although who knows with a new coach coming in.

Maybe bring in Torts for a years worth of off-ice entertainment!  Who is available that is legit???

Edited by caniac1234

Now that he's gone...did anyone else think Dave Lewis kinda looks like Heinrich Himmler?

Haha I always thought he looked like Groucho Marx wearing the fake 'stach and glasses...

Couldn't do anything with Nashville?  He got them to the post season way more than the Canes coaches have.  How is that not doing anything?

The era of LAVI 2.0 may be upon us.

But could not produce past that!!  We want someone that can go all the way!   :spin:

Lavi?  Might work!!

As to trading the brothers, I have come to the opposite conclusion. We need to give the brothers Staal one more run. If they bring their A game, we have what most teams want, and need come playoffs: strong down the middle. If a coach can get a healthy Eric to back check and stop the stupid stick infractions, his offense will come. If we can make sure that J. has SECOND line wingers, he has proven he can put up points even while playing defense. 

We need to get the brother's Staal doing what they have PROVEN they can do. That happens, watch it all fall into place.

I fully agree that they vastly underperformed their contracts last year, but that also will mean less return in any trade. Add that they might need to be moved together, a HUGE contract load, and two NTC's. Just NOT going to happen. 

New GM. Entirely new coaching staff. New chance. Last chance. But one more try w/ the Staals.

Edited by remkin

I don't understand what all of you have against Trotz.  And really you want Kevin Dineen?  Another UNPROVEN coach with a horrible record.  Really?

I wouldn't be totally opposed to Trotz...but I doubt he will really fit in with the talent we have here...he is a defense-minded coach.

Seriously, Torts is unstable...he gets hired and the fans will stay away in droves.

Please say no to Lavy 2.0.  I forgot about Kevin Dineen maybe a decent choice or even Barry Trotz.  Either way we need a coach with more bench passion.  Gotta like Craig Berube in Philly with his predator look.

Too bad Boudreau's taken.  Who wouldnt benefit from one of his between periods motivational speeches!!

I knew there was no way Francis was gonna keep Muller, fresh start is right.   The brothers Staals need to work their butts off this off season and come back fired up with a new coach that is gonna challenge them and not take any lazy crap from them.

We do not need mega changes, we need a coach that can bring the best out of our extremely talented top 6 fowards as well as the power play.  

And Wardo is not going anywhere, he has a NTC and plans on winning his job back this season.  I think Francis is gonna enjoy watching Kudo and Wardo fight for the number one spot and it just may be the best thing for us.  All the hate for ward, by this time next year he could be our loved hero again.  And how good would it feel knowing our back ups are as good as our starters.  I know its expensive but goaltending is important and if we have two guys that are awesome than thats better than one awesome and one so so backup .  I say we go with it.

A couple tweaks on the 3rd and 4th line, a couple tweaks on defense, and a good draft pick and I will have plenty of hope for next season.

I don't understand what all of you have against Trotz.  And really you want Kevin Dineen?  Another UNPROVEN coach with a horrible record.  Really?

I'm completely on board with Trotz. I disagree that Trotz = boring.

He did a lot in a small market with no big name/offensive forwards to speak of. Nashville was seen as a hard-working, under-talented team for years. He's a class act, and I don't see him as a "yes" man. He was such a big part of Nashville he knows an organization from top to bottom.

My only concern, as stated before, is do the players fit the coach. Then again, look at Ruff in Dallas. That team flies up and down the ice which certainly didn't fit with Ruff's reputation.

Oh and does anyone know the list of available true NHL coaches?

I'm not too against Lavi coming back, heck he got us our best record ever and the cup.

Torterella would be scary but at the same time I could see him being all over Eric and Jordan and not taking any lazy garbage from them, might be what they need is a fired up nut bag to keep them on their toes.  LOL, probably not though, Bible belt Raleigh couldn't handle Torts.

And Wardo is not going anywhere, he has a NTC and plans on winning his job back this season.  I think Francis is gonna enjoy watching Kudo and Wardo fight for the number one spot and it just may be the best thing for us.  All the hate for ward, by this time next year he could be our loved hero again.  And how good would it feel knowing our back ups are as good as our starters.  I know its expensive but goaltending is important and if we have two guys that are awesome than thats better than one awesome and one so so backup .

I am thinking you're correct on Ward...and the hate comes from the fact we haven't seen the return investment on how much they're paying him...and I think it's more frustration than anything.  At this point, trade him or keep him...I don't care.  Having him push Anton for the top spot will make both better.

If Lavi comes back the message will be clear: Meet the new boss (RF), same as the old boss. Just when you thought we were done recycling players, we do it with coaches instead.

Whoever it is, we need to move fast. Vancouver, Washington, Fla, Nashville already looking and who knows what happens in Toronto and even San Jose after that epic collapse. Thinking about what Ronnie wants to bring in, I think Dineen is the guy. His Fla teams, when healthy, really battled.

Whatever the make up of the coaching staff next year it should NOT include Roddie.  He is too much a part of the incestual make up that is the Canes senior level hierarchy and whoever the new head coach is coming in shouldnt be told an insider like Roddie is going to be part of his staff.  Its almost like he is the 'suits' spy. New head coach picks all his own assistants, period.  If it doesn't workout then he also gets fired, period.

It looked goofy on the news release seeing all the coaches except Roddie were fired. Is that like saying Roddie did a great job as an unspecified coach versus the others who were crappy?  For crying out loud it was Malhotra who improved everyones face off ability which was supposed to be a Roddie strength (it was when he played) but never translated to coaching.  The thing about Roddie is that he lacks a real role with the Canes.  Is he PR?  Is he Operations? What?  What he is not is a coach.

Whoever it is, we need to move fast. Vancouver, Washington, Fla, Nashville already looking and who knows what happens in Toronto and even San Jose after that epic collapse. Thinking about what Ronnie wants to bring in, I think Dineen is the guy. His Fla teams, when healthy, really battled.

San Jose's GM and owner said that Todd McLellan isn't going anywhere...so forget about SJ