The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

Well I was sort of kidding about the Island. I do think that things can turn around faster than some, but I am still waiting to see what else is done before starting to clean up the Island. I do like this hire though. So, we've changed GM's and the entire coaching staff. That is a good start.

It appears Peters has the ability to make the right choices LOL

Luke DeCock @LukeDeCock  ·  14h

Not sure if anyone will admit to it but my understanding is that Peters had offers from Carolina and Pittsburgh and chose the former.

The thing I like about Peters is he has learned the coaching craft from the ground up starting small (like Ken Hitchcock) at a Canadian University (Univ of Lethbridge in Alberta).  Kids that play Canadian Univ hockey are good but they are basically the one's who didn't make Major Jr. A or get a scholarship in the US (Canadian Univ do not have scholarship athletes only academic scholarships). This Canes job is the next logical step in his winning coaching career; thank god we didn't do the re-tread head coach hire.

The fact that Peters took a Canadian Univ team means he knew he had to learn each level up the chain like he has done. He won the Memorial Cup (Major Jr. A) which is a BIG deal; juxtapose that with Muller who ends a career playing and with just minimal time coaching Queens University in Kingston Ontario made the big leap becoming an assistant coach at the Pro level with the Habs. Clearly he had minimal coaching experience to take on the Canes top job as we saw it play out..

Ultimately who cares whether Eric likes the choice or not.  He needs to focus and worry about himself, same as his brother.  If he struggles this year put him in the press box to help him refocus.

Regarding this teams injuries:  As much as people in the community seem to like Pete Friesen its time to part ways.  His idea of working out is that every player should max out and collapse in exhaustion no matter their age.  Thats a dinasor training mentaility and why we have players getting hurt.  EACH player should have their OWN specific training schedule based on what position they play and how old they are.  The female US Olympic Gold Medal swimmer Dara Tora swam in the Olympics as a teen (medaled) then came back and swam and won medals as a 40+ year old and she said her training regime was far different as an older woman and had to be built to accomodate her age which seems like a no-brainer that Friesen doesn't understand.  Move him out and bring a new trainer with state of the art skills and knowledge.

Edited by caniac1234

I wonder if Ronnie is going to offer Ulf one of the Asst. Coaching positions?

I thought the exact same after watching NHL Live.

Sort of a "if this guy doesn't cut it, ur next in line" thing. Guess that didn't work out or Ulf is waiting to see how other offers pan out.

I hope he can teach the puck possesion and pin point passing that has been the trademarks of the Red Wings. Sometimes they looked like the Globe Trotters vs. The Washington Generals.

This is why I love this area so much! In classic, might I add, provincial, fashion, the N&O reports "Little known assistant to be introduced Fri". Now, I confess, as have many on here acknowledged, that Bill Peters' name is not well known LOCALLY, but do you think that's because our local sports reporters are usually fixated on basketball? In fact, in this same edition, at least the one I'm relegated where I'm located, turning to the Sports Section, one is met with 5, count them, 5 pages of news from women's US Open. Now, I know golf prospers in this area, much like basketball, and I'll probably be slammed for suggesting this, but my sole relationship to golf courses is to take a running break from the roads! In fact, golf courses make great off road runs!

Not that I intended to wax profane about the short comings of our wonderful hockey reporting staffs, and there are several genuinely involved sports casters, like John Forsland/ Tripp, Mike Maniscalco et al and several of you bloggers that teach me every day, but please N&O, don't openly confirm what the rest of the NHL already believes. That is, NC knows NASCAR and basketball, but little else!

I hope he can teach the puck possesion and pin point passing that has been the trademarks of the Red Wings. Sometimes they looked like the Globe Trotters vs. The Washington Generals.

If we could get that good, they need to play "Sweet Georgia Brown" on the organ during play.

Kjun, I really think a lot of the "little known" factor comes from the angle that this hiring was out of the blue.  I mean, how much discussion here had taken place about Peters until a couple of days ago?  It wasn't a name that was floated out there on the coaching carousel heavily.  We were all focused on Ulf, Stevenson, Dineen, and Bylsma.

After reading this board for years, this is my first post.

I am excited about Mr. Francis's potential.  It is clear he is making his own decisions and the selection of Peters, to me, says that he values a change in culture above all else.  And from his comments yesterday on the Fan, I not only think Peters will hold players accountable but Francis will backstop him.  Muller may not have had that same luxury from Mr. Rutherford.  Time will tell, but to me, the Hurricanes are getting stronger organizationally and that will start to show in all facets, from drafting to player development, to coaching and finally to the on ice product.

The easiest thing for Mr. Francis to have done would have been to select a Dan Bylsma or someone like him just because he had NHL head coaching experience.  But if you look at Bylsma, he had his best results when we was brand new to coaching in the NHL.  His success very well might have been simply a product of circumstance.  (And that fact that he was not Michael Therrien.)

The most attractive thing about Peters is he comes from a winning culture.  If he can help shift the culture of mediocrity that has plagued this organization for many of its years in North Carolina (and even Hartford), fans will look back on this as an incredibly successful hire.  I am very optimistic.

ABC News allotted a whopping 20 seconds to Peters hire on both the 6P and 11P news yesterday.  What a joke!  Then they spent about 2 minutes on Lucy Lei the 11 year old playing in womens US open...

Edited by caniac1234

After reading this board for years, this is my first post.

I am excited about Mr. Francis's potential.  It is clear he is making his own decisions and the selection of Peters, to me, says that he values a change in culture above all else.  And from his comments yesterday on the Fan, I not only think Peters will hold players accountable but Francis will backstop him.  Muller may not have had that same luxury from Mr. Rutherford.  Time will tell, but to me, the Hurricanes are getting stronger organizationally and that will start to show in all facets, from drafting to player development, to coaching and finally to the on ice product.

The easiest thing for Mr. Francis to have done would have been to select a Dan Bylsma or someone like him just because he had NHL head coaching experience.  But if you look at Bylsma, he had his best results when we was brand new to coaching in the NHL.  His success very well might have been simply a product of circumstance.  (And that fact that he was not Michael Therrien.)

The most attractive thing about Peters is he comes from a winning culture.  If he can help shift the culture of mediocrity that has plagued this organization for many of its years in North Carolina (and even Hartford), fans will look back on this as an incredibly successful hire.  I am very optimistic.

Nice first post. I hope you don't wait so long again to post your second.

Maybe I'm not quite as excited or optimistic as you, just yet. But I am somewhat optimistic and agree Francis appears not to be afraid of the challenge or to make his own decisions. I'll watch how this all plays out but with the Peters hiring Francis has my attention.

My first impression

No nonesense

Assertive

and finally a coach that spells out his system. Defense get your shooting skates on your joining the rush.

Agree  Obxer, i wont use the word  regimented, but  he will be tough, and he has a sense of humour too... LIke  him!

I like that his answers to the questions were very concise and to the point. He didn't delay in his answers either. No "um", "ah" like you hear a lot of times during interviews. Was very specific about accountability. If you play the right way, you get ice time, if not, your minutes will be reduced.

I like Peters already!  He was very well spoken and seemed very sure of himself.  Muller seemed very intimidated by the press and said what he thought needed to be said.

So, a 3 yr contract!  First year, I am not expecting much but will hopefully see less dump and chase and more aggressive style hockey.

Two-thumbs up!

I did notice RF say that he wasn't planning on major changes to the team.

Yeah, that is still to be seen. I know they are shopping Cam but who knows what else can happen between now and the end of the draft?

Francis/Peters Presser on Youtube

Interesting press conference and easy to see why Ron chose Peters. First time in months I'm feeling optimistic but, talk is cheap and now it's up to Peters to do what he knows needs to be done.

If no one took bluedevil by his word, we might need to get a bunch of guys together to lift the sky off of him. B)

This is why I love this area so much! In classic, might I add, provincial, fashion, the N&O reports "Little known assistant to be introduced Fri". Now, I confess, as have many on here acknowledged, that Bill Peters' name is not well known LOCALLY, but do you think that's because our local sports reporters are usually fixated on basketball? In fact, in this same edition, at least the one I'm relegated where I'm located, turning to the Sports Section, one is met with 5, count them, 5 pages of news from women's US Open. Now, I know golf prospers in this area, much like basketball, and I'll probably be slammed for suggesting this, but my sole relationship to golf courses is to take a running break from the roads! In fact, golf courses make great off road runs!

Not that I intended to wax profane about the short comings of our wonderful hockey reporting staffs, and there are several genuinely involved sports casters, like John Forsland/ Tripp, Mike Maniscalco et al and several of you bloggers that teach me every day, but please N&O, don't openly confirm what the rest of the NHL already believes. That is, NC knows NASCAR and basketball, but little else!

To the average fan anywhere in the US and Canada he was little known. The story was also on the front page of the N&O above the fold. Not sure you can get much better coverage than that.

As for the golf it is happening an hour away from here and is a very big deal both locally and nationally. Much bigger than the offseason hiring of a hockey coach...which was covered on the front page of the paper.

There's a lot to like about this guy.  As someone said, talk is cheap, but the talk so far is perfect.

My favorite quote:  "Work ethic is non-negotiable".  It certainly sounds as if Peters has no tolerance for players taking shifts off.

It will be interesting to see how certain players respond to this, and more interesting how Peters responds to them not responding, and even more interesting to see how Francis responds to continued non responding. Talk is cheap, but it is the right talk at least.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. Although not a direct challenge a few things Francis has said and now Peters appear to be a clear message to our core. Play up to expectations or you won't play much at all. Easier said then accomplished but if Francis and Peters are serious and stick to the talk our "Big Boys" better put up or shut up.