The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

As long as he learned the Babcock Evil Eye, and how to use it, I'm good.  I'd love to see a coach look at least perturbed at times.  Muller never made it to slightly perturbed. 

<BIG GUY> Holy crap, this guy seems serious, he seems like he won't take any crap from anybody

<HAG> Do you know you just used the word "crap" twice in the same sentence?

<BIG GUY> After listening to that, I feel like I should double my efforts.  In fact, throw me two beers

<HAG> Two?

<BIG GUY> Yeah, he said we need to practice at the same speed as game time...  I'm born again hard...

I am somewhat optimistic but still very nervous.  He probably got the job because he said all the right things during the interview.  We will see if he can also walk the walk and not just talk the talk.

To the average fan anywhere in the US and Canada he was little known. The story was also on the front page of the N&O above the fold. Not sure you can get much better coverage than that.

As for the golf it is happening an hour away from here and is a very big deal both locally and nationally. Much bigger than the offseason hiring of a hockey coach...which was covered on the front page of the paper.

If that's what you think richardfoc, then all right. I just don't agree with you. Yes, they put it on the front page but using a somewhat "negative" disclaimer. As to your contention that the average fan in US and CANADA knew little of this man, I can't address that as I don't live in Canada, but I think that many in Canada may know of him. It's all moot anyway.

Thanks.  After 11 years in North Carolina I am back on the west coast and will have to exchange 35-40 games a season at PNC for Center Ice and an annual trip to the Shark Tank.  Not a great trade for an avid fan.  It'll be nice to have a place to follow the Hurricanes closely and talk about the team. 

Again, I feel there are better times ahead for this club.  Hey, could they get much worse than the last five years?  This team was so bad so often at home this past season I would leave the arena thinking, "was this fun?  Entertaining?  Should I pay for the privilege again next year?"  Were I to stay in Raleigh, this hire and the changes Mr. Francis has made already would be getting me back on the STH train.  I'm hoping others feel the same way.  Butts in the seats are what makes it all go.  Taken at face value, it seems Peters will get PNC energized once again.

I also like that he was hired on 6-19.  A good omen perhaps?  Time will tell.

Good greeting session by Peters. Seems easy to like. I thought he talked more hockey as a coach than we've heard in quite some time.

No talk of being fragile, but more definite about trying to actually fix something. Now others have said they'll fix the PP. If he actually does it, then he'll have way fewer problems around here.

Go Bill !

Three Hills? I guess it's pretty high up, but they must not be very big hills.

Surely makes Raleigh seem big.

He sounded pretty "no nonsense" which I like. He said a lot of the right things. I can't wait to see how he handles the bench. I want to see his warface.

139266354492.jpg

Rutherford beaten to punch  by Carolina for Peters....   Ronny swooped in.... naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa   Jimmy :)       Report by  CBC reporter Elliotte  Friedman.

I cannot find a single negative thing to say about his presser. I thought he had very short, concise answers for every question. He's obviously intelligent, and understands the game. I enjoyed the statements about coaching "people" and about players asking questions. "As a coach, you better have the answers. You better have the right answers." This guy IS the real deal.

That being said, some players won't like him. Not saying the Canes' best talent won't like him. But a coach that is this demanding of his players will inevitably have players that don't like him. And you know what? That's OK. Sometimes players don't like their coach. They have two choices: Play for him anyway, or leave.

I think Ronnie is off to a great start. There is work to be done. And in my opinion, all this talk of Sutter or adding this player or that player is moot until something is done about the goaltending situation. He has to figure out what he's going to do with Ward. I love Cam Ward, but the financial stranglehold his contact has on this Organization has to be addressed.

I think Ronnie is off to a great start. There is work to be done. And in my opinion, all this talk of Sutter or adding this player or that player is moot until something is done about the goaltending situation. He has to figure out what he's going to do with Ward. I love Cam Ward, but the financial stranglehold his contact has on this Organization has to be addressed.

Did anyone notice that Coach Peters has the exact same accent as Cam Ward?   When drizzle posted his hometown, I realized they are from the same area.

Just an interesting factoid.  They'll at least have something to "small talk" about before it gets serious.  :)

How is this guy the real deal. He has never been an NHL head coach. I will reserve judgements into I see results. Talk is cheap.

Edited by bluedevil58

Bluedevil58-

I agree, talk is cheap--but consider this. It appears the Pens are also interviewing men who have no NHL

coaching experience. And Bylsma had none when the Pens first hired him, as I recall---and he had excellent

seasons with them from the start.

I think it depends on the mindset, hockey knowledge, and the planning and communication skill of the man.

Also the confidence he has in his own skills. Peters clearly did his homework on this team and its issues,

ahead of time. And he has learned from one of the best. (Babcock) Peters has worked his way up in coaching

from many lower levels, as well---with success. So I am cautiously hopeful.

The wildcard in all of this is the on ice response he gets from our "big boys".

How is this guy the real deal. He has never been an NHL head coach. I will reserve judgements into I see results. Talk is cheap.

I guess the most obvious response would be: No coach has NHL head coaching experience until he gets his first NHL head coaching job.

Talk may be cheap... but far too many coaches pander to the media and management. I don't think this guy does. I think he's genuine in his statements. I'm not a psychologist, but in my opinion, this guy intends to do the things he's says he's going to do. That's worth something to me.

Edited by ThaRaven

The thing too is that we've undergone a complete management overhaul. Everyone under the owner has been or will be replaced or moved to a new position, right down to the assistant coaches. 

I think Peters is the kind of guy who would rather go down holding up his integrity than allow slippage and try to hold his job. 

E. has seen the removal of 3 coaches. I think it has been decided (probably at the ownership level) that E. will go before Peters. I think PK and Francis have both made that clear. And that is why Peter can walk in knowing that it is his way that will emerge in the end. 

With Staal squared here, I am almost certain that was a condition that allowed us to get Peters over Pittsburgh. 

I would bet a biscuit that the conversation at some point turned to Peters asking, "And what if the Staal brothers don't buy in...?" And Peters liked the answer to that question. Pure speculation of course, but makes sense.

One small thing I picked up on:

Peters said he has AN assistant coach position available. Brindy gets one of the specialty teams units, and the new assistant gets the other. This means that he will not hire a goaltending coach?

One small thing I picked up on:

Peters said he has AN assistant coach position available. Brindy gets one of the specialty teams units, and the new assistant gets the other. This means that he will not hire a goaltending coach?

My impression was he was talking about one more bench coach. I can't imagine we won't have a goalie coach also. Probable used for both the Canes and Chex. Only a guess.

Add: It looks like the Wings use one goalie coach for all their affiliated teams. Maybe thats where we are headed.

Welcome back coastal. I'm still trying to figure all this out myself and I had internet.

First impressions:

This guy has a good chance to get 30 goals out of Tlusty again.  I'll be very interested to see how the qualifying goes there.

He has a hammer and eyebrows.  Throws stuff.

He seems prepared with details.  Worked with Babcock and the Wings blue collar philosophy of working hard, and communicated that precisely in the presser.

And most of all, it sounds like no more DUMP AND CHASE when you Suck at Puck Possession to begin with.  Eyeballin' ya Muller..."you know"

Edited by coastal_caniac

We hired Thor! :D

I am impressed at his knowledge of the team after being coach for 24 hours.  As long as no one stops hammer time (PK, don't touch that), we might see the progress I'm hoping for.

I like the direction for sure. I do hope that Peters and Francis find a guy with a good amount of NHL bench experience for that last assistant position. GM is brand new at the job. Coach is brand new at the job at this level. Brindy is new to the bench coaching. Get one seasoned pair of eyes and voice back there.

That puts him over Muller, right there.  I'll still always think that a well timed temper tantrum on the bench is a good thing.  Can't do it all the time, but it has to be a tool in the bag.  Babcock always had a good stink eye.  I hope Peters is the same.

That puts him over Muller, right there.  I'll still always think that a well timed temper tantrum on the bench is a good thing.  Can't do it all the time, but it has to be a tool in the bag.  Babcock always had a good stink eye.  I hope Peters is the same.

That's what I liked about Laviolette (NO! I AM NOT COMPARING THEM!). I think your coach has to be passionate... If your coach has no passion, your team has no passion.