The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
weehawk

Behind the Bench -- Coach Talk

As a guy that is a fanatic Caniac, but lives out west, I'm telling you guys Trotz is a gamer! You may not see it because it's likely you don't watch much west coast hockey, but he is a great coach and a proven winner that gets his teams to the show. Here's 10 years of Trotz. Looks way better than anyone we've had lately and you figure most of those first round losses are to stacked teams like the Sharks, Anaheim, etc. I assume he got fired because he missed the playoffs the last two years. However, he still finished 6 games above .500 this season and if Nashville played in the East, he would have been in. Trotz would infuse the far superior west coast style of play into the Canes team which has a roster built for the speed and transition game they play in the West. I think he would kill it in Carolina.  

NSH 2003–04 82 38 29 11 4 91 3rd in Central Lost in first round NSH 2005–06 82 49 25 - 8 106 2nd in Central Lost in first round NSH 2006–07 82 51 23 - 8 110 2nd in Central Lost in first round NSH 2007–08 82 41 32 - 9 91 2nd in Central Lost in first round NSH 2008–09 82 40 34 - 8 88 5th in Central Missed playoffs NSH 2009–10 82 47 29 - 6 100 3rd in Central Lost in first round NSH 2010–11 82 44 27 - 11 99 2nd in Central Lost in second round NSH 2011-12 82 48 26 - 8 104 2nd in Central Lost in second round NSH 2012-13 48 16 23 - 9 41 5th in Central Missed playoffs NSH 2013-14 82 38 32 - 12 88 6th in Central Missed playoffs Total 1196 557 479 60 100

Whatever the make up of the coaching staff next year it should NOT include Roddie.  He is too much a part of the incestual make up that is the Canes senior level hierarchy and whoever the new head coach is coming in shouldnt be told an insider like Roddie is going to be part of his staff.  Its almost like he is the 'suits' spy. New head coach picks all his own assistants, period.  If it doesn't workout then he also gets fired, period.

It looked goofy on the news release seeing all the coaches except Roddie were fired. Is that like saying Roddie did a great job as an unspecified coach versus the others who were crappy?  For crying out loud it was Malhotra who improved everyones face off ability which was supposed to be a Roddie strength (it was when he played) but never translated to coaching.  The thing about Roddie is that he lacks a real role with the Canes.  Is he PR?  Is he Operations? What?  What he is not is a coach.

It's not like Roddie was behind the bench on gameday...he was an assistant coach that worked with the players on faceoffs and skating...two things that ironically, were NOT problems for us.

Getting rid of the coach is helpful to show STH that the 'suits' are trying but at the end of the day if Staal & Staal continue to slumber than getting a new coach will be meaningless.  Would be worth it to dangle these two overpaid brothers just to see what we could get and if we don't end up trading them it will still be a wake up call to them that its about performing.  And no matter what Cam has got to be moved; making way to much money to be a back up, although who knows with a new coach coming in.

Maybe bring in Torts for a years worth of off-ice entertainment!  Who is available that is legit???

I agree (BUT NOT ON TORTS!) and really hope whomever takes over is empowered to tell Eric to move to his brother's wing. 

Edited by top-shelf-1

I can't say I'm surprised. Muller may turn out to be a very good coach but unless we were willing to struggle through the learning curve and bank our future on Muller there was no compelling reason to let him work out his contract.

I'm actually going to side with bluedevil58, I wouldn't mind this team going after torts or lavi. I'd prefer torts because he would definitely hold each and every player accountable. People look at what happened in Vancouver as opposed to what he did in NY and Tampa Bay. I think he'd provide structure to our team, improve the blueline, lower the goals against, and bring out the best of Jordan and even Elias.

I would also be 100% on board with bringing back Lavi.

Mueller was hired with just a few game experience as an AHL head coach.  The person that is hired needs to have experience as both an NHL assistant coach and head coach with plenty playoff experience (Cup wins would be a plus).  Torts would fit this but he is NOT the person the Canes need to hire.

While I'm not completely surprised Muller got the axe, I don't think he was fully at fault.  As others have said, I think it is an organization issue.  But if we get the same results next year, then it means either our players aren't living up to potential, or we're just bringing in the wrong type of players.

I'm glad the Canes are not sitting idle, but I'm still going to be skeptical of progress until it's actually been made.

As this debate rages over whom to bring as our next coach, lost in it all was, imho, the best move of all, that of moving out Greg Stefans. Whatever bias there is on this board over Cam's worth, and there have been reams written, I never thought that Stefens helped there. As I look back over the years, once he came on as the goalie coach, I never saw any improvement in Cam's game. So maybe making that change will bring a spike in Cam's game also!!

Keep Roddie out of the mix for being part of the coaching staff.  New coach gets to pick his own staff.  Ownership needs to figure out where Roddie actually fits in on this team.  Same as Glen Wesley.  Try them out as pro scouts who are on the road as much as Detroit scouts are.  Both are nice guys but at some point you need to run the organization like a business and not a family.

Well the boards are about to light up.

Somewhere on my Island as I sit licking my wounds accused by some of not predicting too well I feel compelled to refer the gentle reader to post #90 of the Jim Rutherford expected to....thread and multiple other recent posts predicting this. From Post #90 before any of the announcements: 

Personally I predict:

JR stays as President

Francis GM

Muller replaced

All major forwards remain: Staals, Skinner, Semin, Lindholm.

If we had an emoticon patting itself on the back I would insert here.

We'll see about the last part, but I'm pretty sure this clears the deck for all big named players to remain.

I guess even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I am reminded of the very end of the article on Francis after he took over when he said, and I paraphrase, "I know what we have and I have a pretty good idea what needs fixing, and I will soon set about fixing it."

Just fixed one thing.

Well Rem, you got what you wanted.  If it works, we'll all pat you on the back.  If not, retire to your island and be quiet.

Keep Roddie out of the mix for being part of the coaching staff.  New coach gets to pick his own staff.  Ownership needs to figure out where Roddie actually fits in on this team.  Same as Glen Wesley.  Try them out as pro scouts who are on the road as much as Detroit scouts are.  Both are nice guys but at some point you need to run the organization like a business and not a family.

They have...see my previous comment about what Rod actually does as an Assistant Coach...and he also helps with strength and conditioning (duh!)

As this debate rages over whom to bring as our next coach, lost in it all was, imho, the best move of all, that of moving out Greg Stefans. Whatever bias there is on this board over Cam's worth, and there have been reams written, I never thought that Stefens helped there. As I look back over the years, once he came on as the goalie coach, I never saw any improvement in Cam's game. So maybe making that change will bring a spike in Cam's game also!!

Yeah, it was lost in the shuffle and is important.

Hey, Irbe is still available!  Last we heard he was being rumored to join Nolan up in Buffalo, but I don't think that has happened yet.

Not surprised to see the coaching staff change. Francis needed time to get acclimated into his new position and make an evaluation of his own. With a new coaching staff, this will be his team.

Stefan being re-assigned maybe a double edge sword.

Cam made positive advancements under Barasso as goalie coach, but took steps backwards with Stefan. A fresh outlook could be good for him. Conversely, Khudobin has made tremendous strides under Stefan. With a new goaile coach, you really never know how this could affect him.

I agree on Stefens. I didn't think our goalie management was the best even with the injuries. I'm not sure it will change whatever goalie moves we plan. I suspect RF has already decided what he wants to do.

They have...see my previous comment about what Rod actually does as an Assistant Coach...and he also helps with strength and conditioning (duh!)

Roddie didn't do squat on faceoffs this season it was Malhotra who taught the other centermen - they all gave Mulhotra credit.  Roddie did not improve anyone's skating or strength - thats what training in the summer is all about.  Roddie spent too much time in the weightroom as a guy in his late 30's attempting to lift like he was still in his 20's.  Being a workout animal may have cost Roddie about 2-3 seasons of playing time.  Just look at Ray Whitney.  41 years old and definately not a work out animal. Roddie has no meaningful position anymore.  Duh...

Edited by caniac1234

Why is everyone so high on Dineen?

I think part of it is the 'recycle' mentality so many see with this team and Dineen certainly has Whalers/Hurricanes/Francis history to draw on...including being the very first Hurricanes captain.

Not surprised to see the coaching staff change. Francis needed time to get acclimated into his new position and make an evaluation of his own. With a new coaching staff, this will be his team.

Stefan being re-assigned maybe a double edge sword.

Cam made positive advancements under Barasso as goalie coach, but took steps backwards with Stefan. A fresh outlook could be good for him. Conversely, Khudobin has made tremendous strides under Stefan. With a new goaile coach, you really never know how this could affect him.

True that , hopper, but wonder if Khodobin's strides were tied to the coach, or his realization that he was going to  finally realize his dream coming true?

True that , hopper, but wonder if Khodobin's strides were tied to the coach, or his realization that he was going to  finally realize his dream coming true?

It is hard to say. Goalies are an unusual bunch. I know, I've played the position. You have to be to consciously want to stand in front of 90+ mph slap shots. A lot of their game is mental. Barrasso did follow Maurice to the KHL. Maybe he's looking to come back? It will be interesting who Ronnie has tabbed as possible canidates for the coaching staff.

I still like Mark Morris of the Manchester Monachs. He has had a very successful career as their head coach and has helped develop many of the players on the LA Kings, one being current Hurricane player Loktionov.

Edited by hopper915

Roddie didn't do squat on faceoffs this season it was Malhotra who taught the other centermen - they all gave Mulhotra credit.  Roddie did not improve anyone's skating or strength - thats what training in the summer is all about.  Roddie spent too much time in the weightroom as a guy in his late 30's attempting to lift like he was still in his 20's.  Being a workout animal may have cost Roddie about 2-3 seasons of playing time.  Just look at Ray Whitney.  41 years old and definately not a work out animal. Roddie has no meaningful position anymore.  Duh...

Ok, I'm totally calling complete BS on this.  First of all, did Wizard have to come back from having his knee destroyed in the boards like Rod did in 2008?  Didn't think so.  Second, was Wizard relegated to the 4th line time and time again and often under-utilizied by a recycled head coach like Rod was?  Didn't think so.  Third, Wizard is a winger...they get abused MUCH less than centers.

And care to quote the Malhotra receiving credit by others?  Cause I recall quite a few post-game interviews with Manny where he actually credited ROD with working him on faceoff drills.

Nice try.

Kevin Dineen is my hope. and for God sake, not Torts! besides, this area is not glitzy enough for Tortorella.

No Torts!  Dineen might be an intresting coach.

Will the presser be available online?

I haven't seen anything from the Canes on a live feed. They said audio would be posted afterwards.

The Fan 99.9 has a web site with a live feed link. This is the WRAL web site.